Tiara & Jewels guessing for upcoming events 1: Oct 2009 - Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
German mag BUNTE wrote that she will wear one of the Grimaldi family tiaras. I'm not sure if their source is reliable, but I just want to believe that they are right.
Like lady Arsinae V I think she'll wear the Van Cleef & Arpels diamond tiara. My reasons for my guess:
- This tiara is of a timeless design without much chichi, it seems to fit best with Charlene's personal style.
- Also I think that she'll choose one of Grace's tiaras, because Princess Charlotte's tiaras are now associated with Caroline.
- Wearing one of her Grace's tiaras will be a way of paying tribute to her absent mother in law.
- Grace's other two tiaras are ruby and diamond tiaras. Red and white are Monaco's colours, but I still think that an all diamond tiara is more fitting for a wedding.
I can hardly wait to see the outcome on saturday.:flowers:

It was also said that Albert will give her a new tiara with wave-design which is made currently in Paris. The waves should symbolize her love to the water sports. Perhaps if this is ready in time she will wear this one.

I hope that this report about the new tiara is true. It might be a hint that Charlene intends to continue the custom to wear a tiara for the national day festivities. It would be nice to have another contemporary tiara around.
Personally I would prefer her to wear a family tiara for the wedding, because it symbolizes continuity, tradition and history. But I do acknowledge that some people prefer brand new tiaras.
Let's just hope that the rumours about the estrangement between the couple aren't true. I don't want to see a sad bride walking to the altar.

The Van Cleef tiara is presently on view, as well as her engagment set , in the VanCleef Arpels Exhibit at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Don't think we'll be seeing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction, dbarn, I saw Smithsonian and assumed DC.
I COULD have gone to NYC!

The exhibit is at Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian in NY

Here it is.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
From what I know, this tiara was a loan from van Cleef & Apels who still own it. It was loaned by Grace who wore it once at Caroline's pre-wedding gala. VC&A now exhibits it quite often.

There is another VC&A diamond tiara which Grace wore quite often an owned herself.
http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/46468/2670594290105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/47181/2985785390105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
Does anybody know if this tiara is also include in the current exhibition?

An ocean wave tiara..? Hmm, I wonder if it would be anything like the only two wave tiaras I know of:

Boucheron Wave Tiara, 1910

BoucheronTiara1910.jpg

Henderskelfe Tiara

HenderskelfeTiaralarge.jpg

It would be lovely if Charlene received a new tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think Catherine will take any tiaras to Canada ? If so which one/s might go with her ? I am hoping she does.

Do we think Catherine will take any tiaras to Canada ? If so which one/s might go with her ? I am hoping she does.

I think it is unlikely that she will have a tiara with her for the trip to Canada. Camilla does not ever wear a tiara abroad (except for the CHOGM meeting in Uganda in 2007 when she wore the Boucheron tiara with the Greville 5 string necklace). My sense is that the "new" norm for tiara usage is that only HM wears one outside of the UK.

Ho well I am sure she will take some very nice things with her, hopefully ones that have not been seen for a long time . Do you think it tasteless to hoipe that she will eventually wear some of Diana's peices ?

Ho well I am sure she will take some very nice things with her, hopefully ones that have not been seen for a long time . Do you think it tasteless to hoipe that she will eventually wear some of Diana's peices ?

I do not think it tasteless for Catherine to wear some of Diana's pieces, though I would like for her jewel box to contain other royal jewels as well. It would be great if HM could have a dig around and provide Catherine with a collection of royal jewels, some with more historical significance than others.

Ho Muriel, I am quite sure HM has plenty of jewel boxes to dig around in to give Catherine a few peices, after all how long had it been prior to the wedding that we had seen the Halo tiara ? 30 years perhaps ? :flowers:

I think Catherine will wear a tiara in Canada during the National Day formal dinner. I recall all previous royal ladies wearing one in the past.

In regards to Diana's jewels, how tacky is it to wear heirloom jewelry? Or to wear jewels that signify your initials (like the letter of your first name)? Do you know how many people wear such jewelry? For the heirloom jewelry, Diana had some point wore jewels that belonged to someone else (previous Princesses of Wales and Queens), the jewels are more than Diana...its about the history of the BRF.

ETA: If the circumstances were different and Diana had lived a lot of years, would it still be tacky to pass on heirloom jewels? I think not. I hope one day to see her granddaughters (if William and Harry should be blessed with daughters) wearing her jewels...I just hope they don't get bagged down by her legacy.

Last edited:
:ohmy:God forbid that I should think it "tacky " to wear heirloom jewellry. If I did my jewel box would be almost empty, Gt Gt Grandmothers ring ( almost 200 yrs old, still in good condition ), granny's pearls, a couple of nice diamond rings from the 1930's, not to mention my engagement ring . I did get a new wedding ring though, bit like Catherine really !

I do hope that she will wear a tiara in Canada, but I see the possibility that she won't. The BRF tends to decrease tiara events and to go more and more low key.
If she wears one, I'm pretty sure that it will be the halo tiara. I'm convinced that she will wear only the wedding tiara for the first couple of years. In due time she than might get to wear a second tiara, either the lovers's knot or maybe the sapphire bandeau.

Tilia C. said:
I do hope that she will wear a tiara in Canada, but I see the possibility that she won't. The BRF tends to decrease tiara events and to go more and more low key.
If she wears one, I'm pretty sure that it will be the halo tiara. I'm convinced that she will wear only the wedding tiara for the first couple of years. In due time she than might get to wear a second tiara, either the lovers's knot or maybe the sapphire bandeau.

Isn't the halo going on display during that time period?

I totally agree lady of hay, if I didn't have heirloom jewelry my jewel box would be almost bare too. I love jewels that have been passed down, there is such a sense of history. And not to mention that I have a HUGE diamond because of it!! And not to mention that jewels today aren't made like they used to be, that type of craftsmanship and durability is hard to find and extremely expensive now days.

The Halo is on display at Buckingham Palace , along with Catherines wedding dress.

Princess gertrude, it is so nice to hear that someonelse has heirloom peices too, especially these days when things that are not "up to the minuite" seen to be fround upon, but not hear fortunatly.

Zonk, you've given me some hope- if it's normal for royal family members to wear tiaras to that event, then maybe we'll get lucky. It'll be even more exciting since it will have to be a different tiara.

In due time she than might get to wear a second tiara, either the lovers's knot or maybe the sapphire bandeau.
I really hope to see Kate with the Sapphire Bandeau in the future! sapphires are my favourite coloured stones.

I think Catherine will wear a tiara in Canada during the National Day formal dinner. I recall all previous royal ladies wearing one in the past.

I do think the world has moved on from when Diana and Sarah were members of the BRF. As I previously mentioned, Camilla did not wear a tiara in Canada, and I would be surprised if Catherine wore one.

She may wear a really nice jewelled comb in her hair.

The difference I believe is thats Camilla's visit to Canada was in November 2009, and the Canada National Day celebrations on July 1st. In the past, they have had a formal dinner. I seem to recall Sophie wearing a tiara at such an ocassion, and the Wessexes last visited Canada 2 to 3 years ago.

But I guess we shall see on the 1st.

The difference I believe is thats Camilla's visit to Canada was in November 2009, and the Canada National Day celebrations on July 1st. In the past, they have had a formal dinner. I seem to recall Sophie wearing a tiara at such an ocassion, and the Wessexes last visited Canada 2 to 3 years ago.

But I guess we shall see on the 1st.

I hope you're right. I really want to see her in a tiara- those occasions will be few and far between, but pictures of her in tiaras will probably end up being the most reproduced and admired.

I did some research, and unfortunately, it looks like there's not really any precedent to use to guess what's going to happen. Only one other royal tour of Canada since 2000 has coincided with Canada National Day, and that's the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh last year. I can't find a clear source for whether she wore a tiara on that visit or not- it'd be helpful to know if it was the same type of event. But my guess is that because it was the Queen, it was a state dinner, and so it would have been more formal.

Anyway, all we can really do is keep our fingers crossed and wait and see :)

(Source: List of royal tours of Canada (21st century) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Edit: Looks like the Queen's visit can't be used to determine what the dress code will be for the dinner in Ottawa. She only did day time activities there on her tour, they did a state dinner in Toronto where she wore the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland a few days later: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2010/06/25/f-queen-elizabeth-royal-visit.html

Last edited:
:ohmy:God forbid that I should think it "tacky " to wear heirloom jewellry. If I did my jewel box would be almost empty, Gt Gt Grandmothers ring ( almost 200 yrs old, still in good condition ), granny's pearls, a couple of nice diamond rings from the 1930's, not to mention my engagement ring . I did get a new wedding ring though, bit like Catherine really !
couldnt agree more! tacky!? the comment alone is......

and my fingers and jewelry box would be empty ,too!

Guys, it's Canada *Day*. Not Canada National Day, but Canada Day.

Sorry for that, but as a Canadian, seeing something like that just bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom