The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
German mag BUNTE wrote that she will wear one of the Grimaldi family tiaras. I'm not sure if their source is reliable, but I just want to believe that they are right.
Like lady Arsinae V I think she'll wear the Van Cleef & Arpels diamond tiara. My reasons for my guess:
- This tiara is of a timeless design without much chichi, it seems to fit best with Charlene's personal style.
- Also I think that she'll choose one of Grace's tiaras, because Princess Charlotte's tiaras are now associated with Caroline.
- Wearing one of her Grace's tiaras will be a way of paying tribute to her absent mother in law.
- Grace's other two tiaras are ruby and diamond tiaras. Red and white are Monaco's colours, but I still think that an all diamond tiara is more fitting for a wedding.
I can hardly wait to see the outcome on saturday.
It was also said that Albert will give her a new tiara with wave-design which is made currently in Paris. The waves should symbolize her love to the water sports. Perhaps if this is ready in time she will wear this one.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

I hope that this report about the new tiara is true. It might be a hint that Charlene intends to continue the custom to wear a tiara for the national day festivities. It would be nice to have another contemporary tiara around.
Personally I would prefer her to wear a family tiara for the wedding, because it symbolizes continuity, tradition and history. But I do acknowledge that some people prefer brand new tiaras.
Let's just hope that the rumours about the estrangement between the couple aren't true. I don't want to see a sad bride walking to the altar.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Van Cleef tiara is presently on view, as well as her engagment set , in the VanCleef Arpels Exhibit at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Don't think we'll be seeing it.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Nobility

Any one has a good picture of this tiara?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
Any one has a good picture of this tiara?
The exhibit is at Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian in NY

Here it is.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the correction, dbarn, I saw Smithsonian and assumed DC.
I COULD have gone to NYC!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Commoner

does anyone have pics of the other possible choices
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
The exhibit is at Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian in NY

Here it is.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
From what I know, this tiara was a loan from van Cleef & Apels who still own it. It was loaned by Grace who wore it once at Caroline's pre-wedding gala. VC&A now exhibits it quite often.

There is another VC&A diamond tiara which Grace wore quite often an owned herself.
http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/47...600x600Q85.jpg
Does anybody know if this tiara is also include in the current exhibition?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Courtier

An ocean wave tiara..? Hmm, I wonder if it would be anything like the only two wave tiaras I know of:

Boucheron Wave Tiara, 1910

Henderskelfe Tiara

It would be lovely if Charlene received a new tiara.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Aristocracy

Do we think Catherine will take any tiaras to Canada ? If so which one/s might go with her ? I am hoping she does.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Do we think Catherine will take any tiaras to Canada ? If so which one/s might go with her ? I am hoping she does.
I think it is unlikely that she will have a tiara with her for the trip to Canada. Camilla does not ever wear a tiara abroad (except for the CHOGM meeting in Uganda in 2007 when she wore the Boucheron tiara with the Greville 5 string necklace). My sense is that the "new" norm for tiara usage is that only HM wears one outside of the UK.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Aristocracy

Ho well I am sure she will take some very nice things with her, hopefully ones that have not been seen for a long time . Do you think it tasteless to hoipe that she will eventually wear some of Diana's peices ?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Ho well I am sure she will take some very nice things with her, hopefully ones that have not been seen for a long time . Do you think it tasteless to hoipe that she will eventually wear some of Diana's peices ?
I do not think it tasteless for Catherine to wear some of Diana's pieces, though I would like for her jewel box to contain other royal jewels as well. It would be great if HM could have a dig around and provide Catherine with a collection of royal jewels, some with more historical significance than others.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

Ho Muriel, I am quite sure HM has plenty of jewel boxes to dig around in to give Catherine a few peices, after all how long had it been prior to the wedding that we had seen the Halo tiara ? 30 years perhaps ?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Administrator

I think Catherine will wear a tiara in Canada during the National Day formal dinner. I recall all previous royal ladies wearing one in the past.

In regards to Diana's jewels, how tacky is it to wear heirloom jewelry? Or to wear jewels that signify your initials (like the letter of your first name)? Do you know how many people wear such jewelry? For the heirloom jewelry, Diana had some point wore jewels that belonged to someone else (previous Princesses of Wales and Queens), the jewels are more than Diana...its about the history of the BRF.

ETA: If the circumstances were different and Diana had lived a lot of years, would it still be tacky to pass on heirloom jewels? I think not. I hope one day to see her granddaughters (if William and Harry should be blessed with daughters) wearing her jewels...I just hope they don't get bagged down by her legacy.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Aristocracy

God forbid that I should think it "tacky " to wear heirloom jewellry. If I did my jewel box would be almost empty, Gt Gt Grandmothers ring ( almost 200 yrs old, still in good condition ), granny's pearls, a couple of nice diamond rings from the 1930's, not to mention my engagement ring . I did get a new wedding ring though, bit like Catherine really !
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

I do hope that she will wear a tiara in Canada, but I see the possibility that she won't. The BRF tends to decrease tiara events and to go more and more low key.
If she wears one, I'm pretty sure that it will be the halo tiara. I'm convinced that she will wear only the wedding tiara for the first couple of years. In due time she than might get to wear a second tiara, either the lovers's knot or maybe the sapphire bandeau.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C.
I do hope that she will wear a tiara in Canada, but I see the possibility that she won't. The BRF tends to decrease tiara events and to go more and more low key.
If she wears one, I'm pretty sure that it will be the halo tiara. I'm convinced that she will wear only the wedding tiara for the first couple of years. In due time she than might get to wear a second tiara, either the lovers's knot or maybe the sapphire bandeau.
Isn't the halo going on display during that time period?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I totally agree lady of hay, if I didn't have heirloom jewelry my jewel box would be almost bare too. I love jewels that have been passed down, there is such a sense of history. And not to mention that I have a HUGE diamond because of it!! And not to mention that jewels today aren't made like they used to be, that type of craftsmanship and durability is hard to find and extremely expensive now days.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Isn't the halo going on display during that time period?
If that is so, that's a signal that she won't wear a tiara in Canada . I hope to be proven wrong though.

Tags
gala, jewellery, tiara

« Tiaras And Hair | - »