The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
[...]
According to protocol, the visiting country must hand out twice as many orders as they receive [...]
I doubt this "rule" exists at all. The exchange of decorations is a result of diplomatic preparation and happens as much as possible in "reciprocity" (on equal terms). That is theory. In practice we see that the Queen of the UK simply refuses to decorate female consorts. Queen Beatrix ignored that reciprocity and decorated the previous Princess of Wales with her only foreign Order.

Reciprocity also means that the highest Orders are exchanged between heads of state. King Willem-Alexander however, by surprise, decided to create the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark Ridder respectively Dame Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw, the highest civil decoration.

When the King and Queen of Spain made their one-day "introduction visit" to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, by surprise (as such an exchange was not at all on the program) the King created Doña Letizia a Dame Grootkruis in de Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje).

The named examples show me that the only general rule is that Orders are part of negotiation ("The ambassador, the Prime Minister, eehmmm, the Lord Justice of the International Court of Justice, eeeermmmm.... oh yes, the Major Domus of the Royal Palace, the Mayor of Amsterdam, etc.) and of course this on base of reciprocity. But for the rest there is pretty much freedom for the King, as long as the Royal Decrees are countersigned by a minister.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I doubt this "rule" exists at all. The exchange of decorations is a result of diplomatic preparation and happens as much as possible in "reciprocity" (on equal terms). That is theory. In practice we see that the Queen of the UK simply refuses go decorate female consorts. Queen Beatrix ignored that reciprocity and decorated the previous Princess of Wales with her only foreign Order.

Reciprocity also means that the highest Orders are exchanged between heads of state. King Willem-Alexander however, by surprise, decided to create the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark Knight respectively Ridder respectively Dame Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw, the highest civil decoration.

When the King and Queen of Spain made their one-day "introduction visit" to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, by surprise (as such an exchange was not at all on the program) created Doña Letizia a Dame Grootkruis in de Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje).

The named examples show me that the only general rule is that Orders are part of negotioation ("The ambassador, the Prime Minister, eehmmm, the Lord Justice of the International Court of Justice, eeeermmmm.... oh yes, the Major Domus of the Royal Palace, the Mayor of Amsterdam, etc.) and of course this on base of reprocity. But for the rest there is pretty much freedom for the King, as long as the Royal Decrees are countersigned by a minister.
I have actually heard the same, and that "rule" or guideline says 2 to 3 times as many as the hosting state. This was at least the case when King Carl Gustaf paid a state visit to Finland last time, in 2015.

But of course this, is just a praxis, and the sovereign could do as he or she pleases and award as many or few orders he och she wishes.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Belgian state visit:

Mathilde: Full version of the Nine Provinces
Maxima: Mellerio sapphire tiara
Beatrix: Mellerio Ruby tiara

As for Harald's 80th birthday, I am hoping Mette Marit will wear Maud's diamond tiara, or the Vasa tiara. As for Martha, I would love to see her wear her wedding tiara. Somehow I doubt Sonja will wear something new. My wish is to see Silvia in the Braganza tiara, but my guess is that she will wear the sapphire tiara. Nevertheless, I hope the event will be a tiara event.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Belgian state visit:

[....]
The impressive sapphire diadem was wrongly attributed to Mellerio dits Meller, Paris. The diadem, worn at the Investiture in 2013, was made in 1880 by Maison van der Stichel, Bijoutier & Jouallier at the Keizersgracht 705 (Emperor's Canal) in Amsterdam.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Years ago Queens Sonja and Sylvia were young actractive Consort Queens who had no Predecessors and managed so well by their own and wore their important tiaras perfectly.
Never discussions about their tiaras , hairdo , dresses.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Belgian state visit:

As for Harald's 80th birthday, I am hoping Mette Marit will wear Maud's diamond tiara, or the Vasa tiara. As for Martha, I would love to see her wear her wedding tiara. Somehow I doubt Sonja will wear something new. My wish is to see Silvia in the Braganza tiara, but my guess is that she will wear the sapphire tiara. Nevertheless, I hope the event will be a tiara event.
I do hope our Queen Máxima will surprise us with a piece long out of sight...and almost equally long longed for by the members and lurkers of various Fora & Boards!!The Diademe of diademes,with the Holland Diamond..oh wish..The vault has been opened..Serious jewelry at its very best.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Majesty

I can imagine Máxima doing so when María Teresa packs out with the Russian Diadem, or Elizabeth II wearing her best diamonds, or Silvia wearing her Braganza Diadem but I am not sure it would be ladylike to blast Queen Mathilde away.

I think Máxima will surprise us with long not seen pieces, like Queen Emma's diamond Art Déco corsage, or the impresive collier with the rectangular thickstone diamonds, or the large waterfall corsage de devant of the Mellerio Ruby Parure, or the diamond bow corsage in full setting with all dangling drop diamonds, or the Württemberg Diadem in full setting with all 11 upright prongs, etc.... but the diadem with the Stuart Diamond? I bet my money on visits to/from Luxembourg, Stockholm or London to see that...
Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I can imagine Máxima doing so when María Teresa packs out with the Russian Diadem, or Elizabeth II wearing her best diamonds, or Silvia wearing her Braganza Diadem but I am not sure it would be ladylike to blast Queen Mathilde away.
On the other hand Grand Duchess Maria Teresa wore the big Empire tiara at the State Visit to Belgium and Queen Paola could "only" use the tiara of the 9 Proviinces. The same at the belgian State Visit to Sweden. Queen Silvia wore the Braganca tiara and Queen Paola the tiara of the 9 Provinces.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Majesty

That is true but I feel we will see this one during a most glittering State Visit to or from the UK/Sweden/Luxembourg.

In Denmark the Queen wore Queen Emma's Diadem in full and amazinh sparkling setting. In Japan the Queen opted for the big Württemberger, the official visits from Sweden and Monaco saw the Bandeau of old rose-cut diamonds respectively the Emerald Diadem. So she indeed seems to play a bit. It will be a glittering event anyway. I hope we will also see Hofdames with diadems, like the previous Grandmastress did.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Aristocracy

My Guess for the Belgium-Dutch State Visit

Maxima- Mellerio Sapphire Tiara or Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara

Mathilde- Complete 9 Province Tiara

Beatrix- Queen Emma Diamond Tiara- or Diamond Bandeau

Laurentien- Aquamarine Tiara- or Queen Emma Diamond Tiara

Magriet- Sapphire Necklace Tiara or Maximas Weeding tiara with pearls

My Dream: Maxima with the Stuart Tiara---Mathilde with Fabiolas Tiara
Old 11-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

My preference would be for Queen Máxima wearing the rather grand Stuart Tiara and for Queen Mathilde to wear the Spanish floral Tiara and put all the rumours to bed once and for all.

Most likely we'll see Queen Mathilde wearing the 9 Province Tiara.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Aristocracy

So the Jewels for tonights State Banquet:
- Queen Máxima in the ruby Mellerio parure (her current favourite).
- Queen Mathilde in the Full Nine Provinces
- Princess Beatrix in the diamond bandeau
- Princess Margriet in the Pearl Button tiara
- Princess Laurentien in Queen Emma's floral tiara

After all, no surprises as far as we can see. I had hoped for a very nice jewel surprise.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

No surprise at all. But I'm so happy that all the Dutch royal couples attended! Finally we see Princess Laurentien with a tiara again. And it's always a pleasure to see Princess Margriet and Princess Beatrix.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How boring indeed. No surprises at all, what a disappointment.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Aristocracy

It's funny how fast something like this ends up being boring
In each other country it would be fabulous to see like five serious tiaras (because that is what it is, we've got some serious bling power in the house, not every royal family owns this many tiaras with huge diamonds).
However, I agree with you on Queen Máx. She could have surprised us more (she wears this tiara so often, it's her new favourite). Although the Stuart, Sapphire or Wurttemberg would have looked completely out of place next to Mathilde.

I think though this is a first for princess Laurentien: first time Emma's diamond tiara without ruby center. That's quite nice. To end things positively.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
So the Jewels for tonights State Banquet:
- Queen Máxima in the ruby Mellerio parure (her current favourite).
- Queen Mathilde in the Full Nine Provinces
- Princess Beatrix in the diamond bandeau
- Princess Margriet in the Pearl Button tiara
- Princess Laurentien in Queen Emma's floral tiara

After all, no surprises as far as we can see. I had hoped for a very nice jewel surprise.

It looks like Mathilde is wearing a brooch to pin her sash. Is it Queen Fabiola's waterfall brooch ? I can't tell if she is also wearing any necklace , but it doesn't look like she is.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
How boring indeed. No surprises at all. What a disappointment.
Yes I agree ,was hoping that we'd have a tiara surprise tonight,ah well maybe Letizia will surprise us all and wear a ring tonight!
Old 11-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It looks like Mathilde is wearing a brooch to pin her sash. Is it Queen Fabiola's waterfall brooch ? I can't tell if she is also wearing any necklace , but it doesn't look like she is.
Yes, it is. https://www.anpfoto.nl/royalimages/s...48654061&pos=2

And in the end, I was right: The Dutch received 40 orders from the Belgians (Máx and WA being the highest: Grand Cross in the Order of Leopold, Laurentien in the Crown Order for the first time). The Belgians received half of their given orders: 20 (Flip and Mathilde being the highest: Knight/Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the Dutch Lion).
Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

EmmaNL We were right as for the Sashes !
I saw more glittering Royal Sitting Groups in the Past.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Pity that there are no jewel surprises. But all in all the royal ladies look quiet nice. Queen Emma's diamond tiara seems to be the favourite of Princess Laurentien as she has it worn the most. The rubies on Queen Máxima look also good but i think her gown clashes with the purple Order of Leopold.
As the State Banquet in portugal sems to be white tie perhaps there is still a chance that Queen letizia will surprise us and wears a tiara. But if she does it will very likely by the floral tiara.

Closed Thread