The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Nobility

Just learning about tiaras. Are there criteria as to what constitutes a tiara event?

Old 10-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Majesty

My guesses for the Tunisian visit:

Silvia: Ruby tiara
Victoria: Large Cut Steel tiara
Sofia: Wedding tiara
Christina: Six Button tiara

Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
Just learning about tiaras. Are there criteria as to what constitutes a tiara event?

That is indeed sometimes difficult to determine. The general rule is that it has to do with the dress code of the event, and it is the host who decide on the dress code. Usually the dress code ‘white tie’ means formal evening wear with tailcoats and orders for the gentleman and long evening gowns and big jewels, including tiaras, for the ladies. The dress code ‘black tie’ is less formal eveningwear and means tuxedos without orders for the gentleman and for the ladies evening gowns without orders and usually no tiaras. But there are always exceptions to the rules. Sometimes white tie events don’t have tiaras, sometimes the invitation would call for black tie with optional tiaras. Ifaik, that would be specified in the invitation.

In European monarchies the dress code for State Banquets at incoming State Visits is white tie and tiaras. So we know that next week’s banquet in Sweden will certainly have tiaras, order, big jewels. Two other certain tiara events that will come up soon will be the Nobel Awards ceremony and one day later the King’s dinner in Stockholm.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Nobility

Thanks so much Tilla C
Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Majesty

So funny to guess!! Well :

Silvia: Nine Prongs tiara
Victoria: Six Button tiara
Sofia: Her Wedding tiara
Christina: Aquamarine Kokoshnik tiara.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Sofia is in South Africa and doesn't attend at the events of the Tunisian state visit.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Majesty

The Handbook Ceremenial and Protocol from the Netherlands Government says:

Cravate Blanche (White Tie)

When?
Opera
Evening Wedding
State Banquet
Nobel Prize Banquet
Formal dinners
Formal Ball
Fermal gala
Academic promotion

What?
Festive floor-long dress
Naked rear
Decolleté
Rich textures like silk and satin
Evening cape or -coat
Clutch
Long gloves
Fan
Grand jewels

Cravate Noire (black tie)

When?
Theatre
Formal dinners
Fundraising dinners
Premières
Christmas dinners
Evening parties
Evening event of a day wedding

What?
Festive knee-length dress
Festive floor-long dress
Clutch
Bijoux
Old 11-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you agree with what I think,
White tie - habit = with Decorations and Uniforms, evening dress.

Black tie - smoking = without Décorations.
(In Belgium I see gentlemen wearing their decoration collar with their smoking)

Jacquette = english ??
For weddings
For some old fashioned Funerals .
Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

The next tiara event I know of will be the dinner at the Commonwealth Meeting in Malta on Nov 27. The Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend.

Guessing Camilla's tiara is easy, I'm sure that she'll wear the honeycomb.
The 2005 Commonwealth Meeting was also held in Malta. On that occasion the Queen wore the Oriental circlet for first and only time. I'd love to see her wear it again, but I think that the girls of the kokoshnik tiara are more likely.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Majesty

I predict the Queen will wear the Girls of GB tiara.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
[....]

Jacquette = english ??
For weddings
For some old fashioned Funerals .
In English it is called morning coat. It is standard formal daywear.

The King of the Netherlands in jacquet

Three Dutch ministers in jacquet

Prince Harry, Prince William, Prince Charles and Tom Parker Bowles

All in jacquet
Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The next tiara event I know of will be the dinner at the Commonwealth Meeting in Malta on Nov 27. The Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend.

Guessing Camilla's tiara is easy, I'm sure that she'll wear the honeycomb.
The 2005 Commonwealth Meeting was also held in Malta. On that occasion the Queen wore the Oriental circlet for first and only time. I'd love to see her wear it again, but I think that the girls of the kokoshnik tiara are more likely.
Agree about Camilla i beleive she wore the honeycomp (very beautiful this tiara). The Queen i say she wore the Oriental circlet. Why not again in Malta.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Majesty

I would love if Madeleine wore the Connaught tiara at her fathers 70th birthday. She wore the Modern Fringe tiara at her fathers 60th birthday, it would be great if she wore a tiara she only wore once before at a big family event.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Majesty

I so hope too that Madeleine won't wear her fringe tiara again. Maybe it's her favourite or she has a special affection for that but it has been overworn..
Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Majesty

It would also be great if Silvia wore the amethyst tiara at this years Nobel Prizes as she only wore it once in 1986 at the event.

As for the King's 70th birthday celebrations, some assume she will wear the Braganza tiara. However it may be a pattern as she wore the Connaught tiara and the Braganza tiara at his 50th and 60th birthdays respectively. If she continues that pattern, maybe she will wear the Cameo tiara or the sapphire tiara at his 70th birthday.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 AM
Serene Highness

For the Nobels:

Her Majesty - The Leuchtenburg Sapphires & The Connaught Ruby
Crown Princess - Amethysts & the Laurel Wreath
Princess Sophia - Large Cut Steel & Emerald WEdding Tiara
Princess Madeleine - Modern Fringe & Connaught Diamond
Princess Christina - 4 & 6 Button
Old 11-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
It would also be great if Silvia wore the amethyst tiara at this years Nobel Prizes as she only wore it once in 1986 at the event.

As for the King's 70th birthday celebrations, some assume she will wear the Braganza tiara. However it may be a pattern as she wore the Connaught tiara and the Braganza tiara at his 50th and 60th birthdays respectively. If she continues that pattern, maybe she will wear the Cameo tiara or the sapphire tiara at his 70th birthday.
I think she opt for the Cameo for the King's 70th birthday as well, but I'm think exactly like you. The Connaught was the favorite tiara of the King's late mother, and the first tiara Queen Silvia ever wore. The Cameo is also the private property of the King and with great history and meaning within the family, a perfect choice for a family occasion, and as it is going to be their Ruby Wedding anniversary next year as well.

I think there could be another reason for Her Majesty not to wear the Braganza as well. We'll hopefully see it a lot in the years to come for the incoming state visits from The Netherlands, Spain and Belgium. That could be a reason to save it for later and wear the Cameo that we haven't seen on her for a while.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
I think there could be another reason for Her Majesty not to wear the Braganza as well. We'll hopefully see it a lot in the years to come for the incoming state visits from The Netherlands, Spain and Belgium.
Lets hope she continues with her tradition of wearing the Braganza tiara for State Visits from other monarchies. For the State Visits from Luxembiurg and Jordan a few years ago she din't so. But wouldn't it be a sight to see the Braganza and the Stuart tiaras next to each other.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Both the Braganza and the Cameo haven't been worn since the Crown Princess' wedding. But the Cameo makes a good Nobel tiara and, unlike the Braganza, has often been worn to the 'normal' events including outgoing State Visits and Representation Dinners.

That's why I hope that Queen Silvia will wear the Branganza at the King's birthday. There are not so many high profile events that would call for this big gun tiara. And State Visits from the new monarchs aren't yet on the timetable. It may take another couple of years till they take place, so let's not waste a good opportunity to wear this spectacular historic treasure! (Please! )

On another note: Today is a tiara alert in Malta, the Commonwealth Dinner is taking place with Queen Elizabeth and the Duchess of Cornwall.

I half expect to see the girls tiara, but still hope for something spectacular. The Oriental circlet for the second time, or maybe another rare sighting of the fringe tiara?

Old 11-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
I think there could be another reason for Her Majesty not to wear the Braganza as well. We'll hopefully see it a lot in the years to come for the incoming state visits from The Netherlands, Spain and Belgium. That could be a reason to save it for later and wear the Cameo that we haven't seen on her for a while.
Have those incoming state visits from the Netherlands, Spain and Belgium been officially announced yet ? When are they supposed to take place ?

Closed Thread

Tags
gala, jewellery, tiara