The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Well, times have changed enormously since 1937. I'm not even 100% sure that Charles coronation will still be a tiara event (though of course I hope that it will!) It will be more toned done than previous coronations, and I doubt that CP Victoria will opt for the largest whopper in the Swedish vaults. But that coronation is still a long time off, one hopes.

Instead we are rapidly nearing the big birthday bling in Norway. I wonder who might attend from the lower profile Royals. Do you think that someone from the Greek RF will attend? I don't hope for any Berleburgs, not after their recent sad loss. Any Rosenborgs, perhaps?

I'd also love to see HGD Stephanie breaking in a new tiara, it's been quite a while since she spoiled us with a first-timer. So I hope that she's attending.
If Charles has a coronation, I am 100 % sure it will be a tiara event. The real question is if the coronation will be replaced by a more subdued, Dutch-style secular investiture ceremony..

As we have been discussing in another forum, a Coronation is still at least implicitly mandated by law in the UK as a result of the Coronation Oath Act and other similar Acts of Parliament. I don't see it being dropped until the CoE is disestablished and that won't happen early in Charles' s reign, So my guess is Charles will be crowned pretty much like his mother was, but we may get a change when it is William's turn, in the longbrun, I still think the Coronation ceremony will be dropped following the general European trend,

Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Nobility

I think it still would be a full coronation but may be in a smaller scale (compared with QEII's), no non-reigning house, probably lesser peerages (were all peerages be invited no matter which rank they are in QEII's coronation?), no robe or coronet for peers or even other royal members. The foreign guests, even the heirs and heirs' wives, I think they may just use their own usual tiaras and will not borrow other "grander" pieces or the "queen's tiaras" like what some posters guess/wish. However I would love to see they wear tiaras that have connections with BRF (Sweden's Edward VII Ruby or the Connaught, Norway's Maud Diamond or Turquoise).

QEII's iconic pieces (GGBI and GD Vladimir, or even Q Alexandra Kokoshnik) probably will have a "break" and not be seen in the coronation (and even whole Charles's reign).

Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Rutland could wear the Rutland Tiara.
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2016/04/26/rutland-tiara
Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
probably will have a "break" and not be seen in the coronation (and even whole Charles's reign).
IF [and its a big if] the Tiaras currently used [regularly] by the Queen [and 'identified' with her]are 'retired' for the next reign, what remains for Queen Camilla to use ?

The 'Honeycomb', the 'Delhi Durbar' and [perhaps] 'Queen Mary's fringe ? No coloured stone Tiaras, except [possibly] 'the Oriental Circlet' ? No Emeralds or Sapphires, or Pearls ?

This hardly seems fair !
Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
IF [and its a big if] the Tiaras currently used [regularly] by the Queen [and 'identified' with her]are 'retired' for the next reign, what remains for Queen Camilla to use ?

The 'Honeycomb', the 'Delhi Durbar' and [perhaps] 'Queen Mary's fringe ? No coloured stone Tiaras, except [possibly] 'the Oriental Circlet' ? No Emeralds or Sapphires, or Pearls ?

This hardly seems fair !
They will not be retired, IMO. More likely, given the rarity of tiara events these days, Camilla will pick and choose what is both comfortable and what looks good on her. She's getting older and certainly can choose to wear tiaras based on her own comfort and need.

That said, I don't think she will rush to wear all of the Queen's tiaras. She's a fairly canny person and will avoid the appearance of overusing the Queen's favorites immediately. JMO.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Girls tiara will not be seen for a long while after the Queen passes, but eventually we’ll start seeing other pieces, particularly those that have been worn, but not as closely associated with her. Of course, also having to take Camilla’s personal preferences into account.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:

This hardly seems fair !
If you read my comment I was only referring to these iconic pieces (mostly GGBI, GD Vladimir or Q Alexandra Kokoshnik, sort by possibility) but not all. Even if in the most extreme case (Camilla decides to avoid all three), she will still have a number of tiaras with coloured stone (ruby, sapphire and aquamarine), she probably will have around 6-8 tiaras at her disposal.

For the British ladies I guess they may wear their regular but greatest pieces at their disposals rather than borrow other pieces they haven't worn before, [if they don't get new tiaras] the Lover's Knot for Kate (or the Lotus considering the Lover's Knot associates with Diana like some posters suggested), the Five Aquamarines for Sophie (actually her wedding tiara should be her greatest piece considering its historical background......but I just don't want to see it). And I hope to see Anne with QM's Fringe.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

If Camilla is crowned Queen, she might not wear a tiara on the way to the Abbey. Judging from pictures Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) did not in 1937 and Queen Mary did not in 1911.
Queen Elizabeth II wore the State Diadem instead of the Cap of Maintenance in 1953 as she is Queen Regent and not Queen Consort.

I guess The Princess of Wales (Kate) will wear Queen Mary's Lovers Knot Tiara and The Duchess of Sussex will wear her wedding tiara Queen Mary's Diamond Bandeau Tiara.

Beatrice and Eugenie will borrow tiaras, maybe the Halo Tiara and the Strathmore Tiara. I think their mother Sarah Duchess of York will be present and wear her own wedding tiara.

Sophie will likely wear her 5-stone Aquamarine Tiara. If Lady Louise is 18 or above i guess she will wear her mothers wedding tiara.

Princess Anne is one of two Gold Stick-In-Waiting and might be on duty in that capacity. If she is, she will ride in the procession and wear a military uniform.

Don't know if Autumn and Zara would wear tiaras. If they do, i guess it will be the Meander Tiara and the Aquamarine Pineflower Tiara, borrowed from Princess Anne.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Would Sarah be invited to the coronation? She's no longer married to the Duke of York.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Camillas daughter Laura Lopes will probably wear the Cubitt-Shand Tiara.
I think Camillas sister Annabel Elliott will be one of her ladies in waiting and wear a tiara too.

Serena Countess of Snowdon might borrow the Lotus Tiara (wich is also her wedding tiara) and pair it together with the Teck Circle Necklace. A combination her mother in law used.

I would have LOVED to see Lady Sarah Chatto wear the Poltimore Tiara but as we all know, that's sadly not an option. I think she will wear her wedding tiara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Would Sarah be invited to the coronation? She's no longer married to the Duke of York.
I think she will be invited. She won't get a seat in the Royal Box unless she and Andrew has re-married but still get a prominent seat like recently at the wedding of Harry and Meghan. I think they won't exclude her anymore when Prince Philip has passed away.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Princess Anne is one of two Gold Stick-In-Waiting
ALL officers-in-waiting [except the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk] lose their posts on the death of the Monarch they serve [and break their 'wands of office' in token of it] Thus the new Monarch has a 'clean slate on which to build his/her household.
So unless the Princess Royal is re-appointed by her Brother she won't attend his Coronation in that capacity.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
ALL officers-in-waiting [except the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk] lose their posts on the death of the Monarch they serve [and break their 'wands of office' to prove it] Thus the new Monarch has a 'clean slate on which to build his/her household.
So unless the Princess Royal is re-appointed by her Brother she won't attend his Coronation in that capacity.
Ok, So she'll automatically resign as Colonel of the Blues & Royals upon the death of QEII ?

I understand that it is always the Colonels of the Life Guards and the Blues & Royals who are Gold Sticks-In-Waiting.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ I believe so..

To quote the detailed article [by the Guardian] on the subject of 'Operation London Bridge' [the plans for the 10 days following the death of HMQ -
ALL office holders at the Palace 'are on borrowed time'..
Old 06-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I think she will be invited. She won't get a seat in the Royal Box unless she and Andrew has re-married but still get a prominent seat like recently at the wedding of Harry and Meghan. I think they won't exclude her anymore when Prince Philip has passed away.
By all accounts, it's not just Prince Philip that doesn't like her. Prince Charles, if you believe the reports, doesn't care for her either.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
By all accounts, it's not just Prince Philip that doesn't like her. Prince Charles, if you believe the reports, doesn't care for her either.
She is indeed not a very popular person in the Royal Family. But i think Prince Philip is the hardest one. I don't think The Queen and Sarah is on that bad terms. But The Queen has more or less no choice to refrain from inviting her, to keep the peace in her family if her husband dislikes Sarah so much that the media reports says.

Haven't heard that Charles and Sarah would be on very bad terms but William does not like her (if the media are correct) as he doesn't think she is discreet enough (=speaking out in media on a regular basis about the Royal family).
Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

I suspect she wouldn't attend, she didn't got to William and Kate's wedding so it appears its Harry who wanted her at his wedding, Andrew is after all his godfather. That's Harry's right but I suspect Charles might not want her there and may well say his coronation is an official event as monarch not a personal event like a wedding. I think Charles doesn't like her enough to risk inviting her as it where.

I hope if Anne attends in tiara she makes another appearance in that double meander tiara she was spotted wearing once in a blurry state banquet photo.

I would love the royal ladies to wear a new to them tiara but suspect they may stick with their already used "big gun":
Kate - Lovers Knot
Meghan - Wedding tiara or maybe by then another tiara she uses
Anne - the mysterious Double Meander Tiara
Zara - Greek Meander Tiara
Autumn - Festoon Tiara
Beatrice - York tiara
Eugenie - maybe Strathmore Rose
Sophie - 5 Aquamarine Tiara
D. Gloucester - Cartier Indian Tiara
P Michael Kent - Festoon Tiara
Old 06-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

I think alot depends on how close The Duke and Duchess of York really is by then and how good Charles and Andrew get along. They haven't exactly been best friends but their contact seems to be better nowdays i think. If (and that's a huge if) the Duke and Duchess will remarry when Charles becomes King, Sarah and the Royal family will need to bury the hatchet.

Anyway, i hope this won't be a sore point at Charles coronation. That's meant to be a day of joy and celebration.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Please stay on topic. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Tags
british, coronation, jewels, prince charles, tiaras