Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duke of poliganc

Courtier
City
cairo
Country
Egypt
with all the hires of thrones in europe being already married or too young , the next most glittering event will be prince charles coronation , so can we guess the jewels that will be worn by the british royal family , the british nobility , the representatives of other royal houses

my guess for the british royal family
The Princess Royal : the Double Meander Tiara
the Duchess of Cambridge : Queen Mary's Cambridge Lovers' Knot Tiara
the duchess of york if she attended : her wedding tiara
the Countess of Wessex : the Aquamarine Necklace Tiara
the Duchess of Gloucester : Princess Marie Louise Cartier indian Tiara
the Duchess of Kent : the Cambridge's Sapphire Parure Necklace Tiara
Princess Michael of Kent : the Kent's diamond and pearl Festoon Tiara
Princess Alexandra : the Ogilvy Tiara
Autumn Phillips : the Diamond Festoon Tiara
Zara Tindall : Princess Alice's Meander Tiara
the Viscountess Linley : the Duchess of Teck's Hoop Necklace Tiara
Lady Sarah Chatto : the Snowdon Floral Tiara
the Countess of Ulster : the Gloucester Palmette tiara
Lady Davina Lewis : the iveagh diamond tiara
Lady Rose Gilman : The Gloucester Diamond Bandeau
the Countess of St Andrews : the Pearl & Diamond Fringe Tiara
Lady Frederick Windsor : the diamond fringe tiara
Lady Gabriella Windsor : The Duchess of Argyll's daisy brooches tiara
Laura Lopes ( the duchess of Cornwall daughter ) : the Cubitt shand floral tiara

Last edited:
I think an event like that is totally impossible to predict with any accuracy. It's a once in a lifetime event. (And it makes folks understandably a little uncomfortable to do this kind of speculation on an event that won't come until the Queen dies.)

I'm sure no-one wants the Queen dead any time in the foreseeable future. However, at the end of a long reign there is inevitably speculation about the next stage of the monarchy and national life. It happened when Queen Victoria was over eighty, and it's happening now with a monarch entering her nineties. No-one can go on for ever, not even our wonderful Queen. It's only natural to speculate on things, IMHO.

I don't know which tiaras and other jewels will be worn at King Charles's Coronation. (I don't think the Duchess of York will be attending as a Royal so there won't be any need for her to wear a tiara. Nor, with the best will, in the world, can I see Zara or Autumn in tiaras. Bandeaus perhaps.)

I would imagine that Kate will wear the Cambridge, though, as Charles is a big occasion man I am looking forward to more tiara events in the next reign and those BP Jewel vaults to be really unlocked.

That will mean Camilla, who really rocks the big tiaras, may be out and about at various evening functions such as premieres of the ballet at Covent Garden wearing one. I really hope those days come back and Kate has a selection to wear. What's the point of gorgeous jewels staying locked in vaults?

my guess for the british royal family
The Princess Royal : the Double Meander Tiara
the Duchess of Cambridge : Queen Mary's Cambridge Lovers' Knot Tiara
the duchess of york if she attended : her wedding tiara
the Countess of Wessex : the Aquamarine Necklace Tiara
the Duchess of Gloucester : Princess Marie Louise Cartier indian Tiara
the Duchess of Kent : the Cambridge's Sapphire Parure Necklace Tiara
Princess Michael of Kent : the Kent's diamond and pearl Festoon Tiara
Princess Alexandra : the Ogilvy Tiara
Autumn Phillips : the Diamond Festoon Tiara
Zara Tindall : Princess Alice's Meander Tiara
the Viscountess Linley : the Duchess of Teck's Hoop Necklace Tiara
Lady Sarah Chatto : the Snowdon Floral Tiara
the Countess of Ulster : the Gloucester Palmette tiara
Lady Davina Lewis : the iveagh diamond tiara
Lady Rose Gilman : The Gloucester Diamond Bandeau
the Countess of St Andrews : the Pearl & Diamond Fringe Tiara
Lady Frederick Windsor : the diamond fringe tiara
Lady Gabriella Windsor : The Duchess of Argyll's daisy brooches tiara
Laura Lopes ( the duchess of Cornwall daughter ) : the Cubitt shand floral tiara
I would think that Lady Davina, Lady Rose, Lady Frederick and Lady Gabriella will not wear tiaras as they're too far from the throne (great-grandchildren (and spouse). Laura Lopes definitely won't. Zara might as the granddaughter of a sovereign even though she's not titled; same for Lady Sarah. The Countesses of Ulster and St. Andrews might be in tiaras but maybe not as their husbands' titles are courtesy titles only.

I noticed you left Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie off your list. I would think one of them would wear their mother's tiara and the other possibly the Lotus or the Halo, with Lady Louise, if she's over 18, wearing the other. Sarah York would only be there if by some slim chance she and Andrew had remarried.

And many of these tiaras would be worn with coronets inside them after the actual crowning; either those of duchesses, or daughter (Anne) and granddaughters of a sovereign (Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Louise, Zara, and Lady Sarah.)

Last edited:
I think an event like that is totally impossible to predict with any accuracy. It's a once in a lifetime event. (And it makes folks understandably a little uncomfortable to do this kind of speculation on an event that won't come until the Queen dies.)

Actually i thought it would be uncomfortable also but i saw threads about prince charles coronation and regnal name and what type of regin his will be so i thought it would be okay

Last edited:
I don't know which tiaras and other jewels will be worn at King Charles's Coronation. (I don't think the Duchess of York will be attending as a Royal so there won't be any need for her to wear a tiara. Nor, with the best will, in the world, can I see Zara or Autumn in tiaras. Bandeaus perhaps.)

Even if she didn't attend as a royal she is still a duchess she will difently need a tiara

Even if she didn't attend as a royal she is still a duchess she will difently need a tiara

Sarah is no Duchess. She is styled with the title of her ex-husband. A quite peculiar custom which is allowed in the UK and should be forbidden, if you ask me.

The stepmother of the late Diana was married to a French count and became known as Madame la Comtesse Jean-François Pineton de Chambrun. When she divorced him, she did not return to her maiden name (Raine McCorquodale) but choose to go with the name of her second husband: Raine, Countess Spencer.

A most peculiar custom and impossible in most other countries. Divorced is divorced. The examples of Sarah, Diana and Raine show that it simply confuses the general public. Sarah is no Duchess anymore but almost everyone thinks she is. Diana was no Princess anymore but almost everyone thought she was. Instead of reverting to a maiden name, these ladies remained known with a name from a broken marriage. In Denmark Princess Alexandra divorced and with that she ceased to be a Princess of Denmark. Period. That is transparancy and clarity.

If Sarah Ferguson a.k.a. "Sarah, Duchess of York" will be invited (which seems unlikely to me) she will indeed wear her only diadem. If she still has it and not pawned or sold.

Last edited:
I would think that Lady Davina, Lady Rose, Lady Frederick and Lady Gabriella will not wear tiaras as they're too far from the throne (great-grandchildren (and spouse). Laura Lopes definitely won't. Zara might as the granddaughter of a sovereign even though she's not titled; same for Lady Sarah. The Countesses of Ulster and St. Andrews might be in tiaras but maybe not as their husbands' titles are courtesy titles only.

I noticed you left Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie off your list. I would think one of them would wear their mother's tiara and the other possibly the Lotus or the Halo, with Lady Louise, if she's over 18, wearing the other. Sarah York would only be there if by some slim chance she and Andrew had remarried.

And many of these tiaras would be worn with coronets inside them after the actual crowning; either those of duchesses, or daughter (Anne) and granddaughters of a sovereign (Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Louise, Zara, and Lady Sarah.)
When you see the pictures of the 1937 and 1953 you will see that even distance relatives attended and all wore tiaras if a baroness wore a tiara then definitely the granddaughters and great-granddaughters of the monarch will wear tiaras
I'm a strong believer that Laura Lopes will wear a tiara her mother would be the queen or even the consort and the fact that her own family own a tiara make me believe more that she will wear a tiara when u see the 1937 coronation you will see a lot of the queen mother family member's attended and all wore tiaras and even one of here sisters borrowed the Lotus diamond and pearl tiara .
I left Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie cause they are the hardest to guess their branch of the family only have one tiara and i guessed that their mother will wear it so until we see the tiaras they will wear on their wedding days and if they wore their mother's tiara it will be even harder to guess what tiaras they will wear .

Last edited:
Sarah is no Duchess. She is styled with the title of her ex-husband. A quite peculiar custom which is allowed in the UK and should be forbidden, if you ask me.

The stepmother of the late Diana was married to a French count and became known as Madame la Comtesse Jean-François Pineton de Chambrun. When she divorced him, she did not return to her maiden name (Raine McCorquodale) but choose to go with the name of her second husband: Raine, Countess Spencer.

A most peculiar custom and impossible in most other countries. Divorced is divorced. The examples of Sarah, Diana and Raine show that it simply confuses the general public. Sarah is no Duchess anymore but almost everyone thinks she is. Diana was no Princess anymore but almost everyone thought she was. Instead of reverting to a maiden name, these ladies remained known with a name from a broken marriage. In Denmark Princess Alexandra divorced and with that she ceased to be a Princess of Denmark. Period. That is transparancy and clarity.
In the eyes of all she is a duchess only someone who is interested or expert in royal and noble titles will know the difference between the titles . Even royals and aristocrats will introduce her as the duchess of york not Sarah . Duchess of york
Actually princess Alexandra was still princess of denmark after she was divorced her style just changed from her royal highness to her highness and On Queen Margrethe's birthday, Alexandra also received the title Countess of Frederiksborg for life she ceased to be a princess of denmark after she remarried

Last edited:
Sarah is not a duchess, it is simply a courtesy and used as a last name. She, if invited, will not sit with them. The tiara if worn will be worn by one of her girls.

those who will be there and for sure will;

Kate; Cambridge lover's knot
Anne: double Meander
Zara; Greek key
Autumn (90%) wedding
Bea; her mother's
Eugenie; lotus
Sophie; her new tiara
Sarah Chatto: snowden floral
Viscountess Linley: Tech circle
DOK: Kent sapphire
DOG; honeysuckle
Princess Michael; city of London
Alexandra: Oglivy tiara (one her husband had made)

I don't see the queen's cousins' kids wearing tiaras. The exception being the wives of the 2 heirs possibly. And Louise if 18.

Louise; either her mother's wedding or the halo
COU: Gloucester diamond bandeau or smaller diamond she wore on wedding
COSA; diamond and pearl drop

Like i said before if the lowest ranking aristocrats will wear their best jewels then children of the queen's cousins will definitely wear tiaras and there is better chances because their branches already have tiaras so they will not gonna need to borrow or take as a loan a tiara from a relative or jeweller

Last edited:
[...] Even royals and aristocrats will introduce her as the duchess of york not Sarah . Duchess of york [...]

I am sure that all royals and aristocrats, when introducing her, will use the style Sarah, Duchess of York and not at all as (HRH) The Duchess of York.

Last edited:
I am sure that all royals and aristocrats, when introducing her, will use the style Sarah, Duchess of York and not at all as (HRH) The Duchess of York.
Definitely not HRH but definitely the duchess of york even more because prince Andrew never remarried so there is no other duchess of york even royal excerpts some time mistake and call her the duchess of york in the new's and in big events like the royal ascot

Last edited:
I wonder if Charle's coronation will be as much a tiara events as previous ones. HE could choose to simplify it and maybe only have the immediate members of the RF in tiaras...who knows. Bearing in mind that Charles would be able to let members of the RF wear tiara's currently used by HM I think the options could include:

Anne, The Princess Royal
- the double meander tiara would be ace to see as its been hidden away and apart from one blurred photo we don't even really know it exists
- I would love to see her wear the Girls of Great Britain and Northern Island tiara as its grand and royal and so associated with her mother

The Countess of Wessex
One of her aquamarine tiara's, possibly the necklace tiara or the five aquamarine one as it was loaned to her by the Queen and may be seen as more of a fitting tribute to QE2

The Duchess of Cambridge
Maybe one of the Fringe Tiara's or, depending on what Camilla is wearing, the Deli Durbar or Greville tiara. I don't know why but I suspect Kate will go big for this event

Harry's wive (if he is married)
Either the Deli Durbar or Greville Tiara or possibly the Lover's Knot tiara or maybe the Sapphire bandeau if it still exists

Louise
Her mother's wedding tiara

Beatrice
Really not sure on this one, out of her and Eugenie I can see her being more likely to borrow a 'grand' tiara but equally can see her being just as likely to want to wear her mother's wedding tiara

Eugenie
Either her mother's wedding tiara or a borrowed tiara similar to the lotus flower or cartier in terms of size

Everyone else will wear their 'go to tiara' I think, and I can see Eugenie and Beatrice wearing whatever they have worn for their weddings if they are married by that point. I'm not even sure they would use tiaras so closely associated with QE2 but if they did they would be my guesses.

As for any foreign royals I'm sure they would go for their best tiaras. As traditionally only heirs attend I think we could see a few loans of 'big gun tiaras' from sovereigns to heirs for the event.

Last edited:
So- I could be wrong, but I doubt Kate would wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot to a coronation of Charles because of its close association with his first marriage at a time when that shouldn't be the headline.

I think it's more likely that she'd wear something new to her that's associated with the current Queen as a nod to continuing the family line and tradition.

My personal hope is the Oriental Circlet.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think it's more likely that she'd wear something new to her that's associated with the current Queen as a nod to continuing the family line and tradition.

My personal hope is the Oriental Circlet.

app

I can defintly say if the oriental circlet would be worn it will be camilla who would ware it as it's a part of the crown jewels and it's only reserved for the queen's

Last edited:
Anne, The Princess Royal
- the double meander tiara would be ace to see as its been hidden away and apart from one blurred photo we don't even really know it exists
- I would love to see her wear the Girls of Great Britain and Northern Island tiara as its grand and royal and so associated with her mother
It would be great if she wore the Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland tiara i would like to see it more than the double meander tiara but i didn't put any pieces other than the one's they already had .

So- I could be wrong, but I doubt Kate would wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot to a coronation of Charles because of its close association with his first marriage at a time when that shouldn't be the headline.
[...]

At William's coronation Catherine is the Queen. That means she will wear a diadem only reserved for Queens. The best diadem even and that is King George IV's State Diadem. This pictures shows the magnificence againts a dark hairdo: picture.

As HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, of Rothesay, of Cambridge, eventually The Princess of Wales etc. Catherine probably will wear the similar State Diadem with the fleurs-de-lys as worn by the late Queen Elizabeth during the previous coronation: picture.

That is my guess.

Last edited:
I wonder if Charle's coronation will be as much a tiara events as previous ones. HE could choose to simplify it and maybe only have the immediate members of the RF in tiaras...who knows. Bearing in mind that Charles would be able to let members of the RF wear tiara's currently used by HM I think the options could include:

Anne, The Princess Royal

The Countess of Wessex
One of her aquamarine tiara's, possibly the necklace tiara or the five aquamarine one as it was loaned to her by the Queen and may be seen as more of a fitting tribute to QE2

The Duchess of Cambridge
Maybe one of the Fringe Tiara's or, depending on what Camilla is wearing, the Deli Durbar or Greville tiara. I don't know why but I suspect Kate will go big for this event

Harry's wive (if he is married)
Either the Deli Durbar or Greville Tiara or possibly the Lover's Knot tiara or maybe the Sapphire bandeau if it still exists

Louise
Her mother's wedding tiara

Beatrice
Really not sure on this one, out of her and Eugenie I can see her being more likely to borrow a 'grand' tiara but equally can see her being just as likely to want to wear her mother's wedding tiara

Eugenie
Either her mother's wedding tiara or a borrowed tiara similar to the lotus flower or cartier in terms of size

Everyone else will wear their 'go to tiara' I think, and I can see Eugenie and Beatrice wearing whatever they have worn for their weddings if they are married by that point. I'm not even sure they would use tiaras so closely associated with QE2 but if they did they would be my guesses.

As for any foreign royals I'm sure they would go for their best tiaras. As traditionally only heirs attend I think we could see a few loans of 'big gun tiaras' from sovereigns to heirs for the event.

That's interesting. I didn't know that only heirs attended. What happens then if you are childless of your heir is a child? In the case of Monaco, for example, it's unlikely that Prince Jaques will be an adult when Charles is crowned so would that mean that no one from Monaco would attend at all?

I also thought the Queen of Tonga attended Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

Last edited:
This is very tooooo early. We don't even know if Camilla will be Queen or remain Duchess.

That's interesting. I didn't know that only heirs attended. What happens then if you are childless of your heir is a child? In the case of Monaco, for example, it's unlikely that Prince Jaques will be an adult when Charles is crowned so would that mean that no one from Monaco would attend at all?

Funnily enough P.Albert of Monaco seems to be the one monarch who doesn't comply with this tradition... he was the only monarch present at the inauguration of K.W-A of the Netherlands
But i get your point, in several euro momarchies the heir at the moment is a child, they will certainly not attend on their own, but maybe the spouse of the various monarchs *can* attend?
The coronation of QEII f.i. was attended for the NL by the dutch spouse to the monarch: P.Bernhard

Last edited:
The Queen of Tonga did attend Queen Elizabeth IIs Coronation, but rulers of countries or nations within the Commonwealth, or Empire as much of it was then, are different.
If the heir to another throne, like Spain for example, isn't an adult, then another senior Royal would be sent, I'm sure, perhaps ex King Juan Carlos/Queen Sofia.

This shows the royals present at the Queen's Coronation, including rulers from within the Commonwealth/Empire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_guests_at_the_coronation_of_Queen_Elizabeth_II

Last edited:
Albert of Monaco was the only sovereign to attend the Dutch inauguration, everyone else was either spouse of a sovereign prince or heir or another royal. I was always under the impression that sovereigns didn't attend so the new king or queen wasn't 'outranked' by longer serving sovereigns.

I think the current monarchs with child heirs would most likely send their siblings to represent them.

if the heirs are still children or there is no heir apparent then the next close to the monarch would represent him like in the 1953 coronation
Prince George of Greece and Princess Marie Bonaparte represented their nephew, King Paul of Greece .
Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (represented the King of Sweden)
Prince Axel of Denmark and Princess Margaretha of Sweden (represented the King of denmark) etc.
if prince albert doesn't break the rule again it would be likely princess caroline that will represent her brother .

Last edited:
This is very tooooo early.
the queen is 90 years old there is already a plan for the coronation that is ready to take effect when the time comes .
We don't even know if Camilla will be Queen or remain Duchess.
that's why when i guessed i didn't mention her i just mentioned those who are definitely gonna attend and that any changes in the coronation won't interference with them attending

I also thought the Queen of Tonga attended Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

The same policy is followed in the Netherlands: only heirs. So we saw Charles and Camilla, Naruhito and Masako, Felipe and Letizia, Guillaume and Stephanie, Maha Vajajilongkorn, Victoria and Daniel, etc. By lack of an available heir the House was represented by someone else: Princess Lalla Salma, Prince Albert, Sheikha Mozah, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath, etc. So what we saw in Amsterdam will roughly be the same in London.

Last edited:
I wonder if Silvia will loan Victoria one the bigger Swedish tiaras? Equally who knows....we could see the first appearance by the Dutch Stuart Tiara

if the heirs are still children or there is no heir apparent then the next close to the monarch would represent him like in the 1953 coronation
Prince George of Greece and Princess Marie Bonaparte represented their nephew, King Paul of Greece .
Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (represented the King of Sweden)
Prince Axel of Denmark and Princess Margaretha of Sweden (represented the King of denmark) etc.
if prince albert doesn't break the rule again it would be likely princess caroline that will represent her brother .

I think that Albert and Charlene would both go to this. If Albert went to Amsterdam I'm certain he wouldn't miss this one. Charles's coronation will be the biggest, most glittering royal event since 1952, no question about it. Unlike some other monarchs Albert gets away with going because even if he has reigned longer he can't outrank a King anyway as he's not a King himself. The same actually applies to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg whose only an HRH not a Majesty.

I think that Albert and Charlene would both go to this. If Albert went to Amsterdam I'm certain he wouldn't miss this one. Charles's coronation will be the biggest, most glittering royal event since 1952, no question about it. Unlike some other monarchs Albert gets away with going because even if he has reigned longer he can't outrank a King anyway as he's not a King himself. The same actually applies to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg whose only an HRH not a Majesty.

it doesn't matter the title of the monarch there is no one outrank a monarch whether he is a emperor or even a reigning Baronet no one out rank him except a longer reigning other monarch
prince rainier iii actually outranked the kings of sweden , belgium , norway and spain and the queen of denmark because he was a monarch for almost 56 years

Back
Top Bottom