Swedish Jewels: Suggested Changes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it would be useful to have a thread to discuss any suggestions for alterations and improvements to the Swedish royal jewel collection.

This is obviously in the backdrop of Queen Silvia not appearing to be particularly keen to make many alterations to the historical jewels in the collection.

My very first suggestion would be, as expected, a proposed alteration to the 4 button tiara.

> I was thinking that a revised tiara very much in the mould of Princess Benedikte's star tiara would be lovely. The "buttons" could be interspersed with upright pearls.

Tiara Mania: Star & Pearl Tiara

> This suggested change will also allow the SRF collection to have a diamond and pearl tiara.

> The pearls themselves could be used interchangeably with emeralds, giving the Swedish collection a much needed emerald tiara.

> Perhaps the tiara could have added height by adding a diamond base, not dissimilar to the lozenge shaped removable base on QE2's favourite Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
A nice idea. Since the Swedes do not have a diamond pearl tiara, perhaps make one of the other tiaras versatile. It should be easy & not too expensive to replace the rubies in the Edward VII ruby tiara with some small pearls for example.

Nice idea for the button tiara, if it was up to me I would break down both tiaras and let the ladies use them as brooches, but this idea seems less destructive ;).

Last edited:
A nice idea. Since the Swedes do not have a diamond pearl tiara, perhaps make one of the other tiaras versatile. It should be easy & not too expensive to replace the rubies in the Edward VII ruby tiara with some small pearls for example.

Great idea.

Swedish jewels: Suggested changes

My very first suggestion would be, as expected, a proposed alteration to the 4 button tiara.

> I was thinking that a revised tiara very much in the mould of Princess Benedikte's star tiara would be lovely. The "buttons" could be interspersed with upright pearls.

Tiara Mania: Star & Pearl Tiara

> The pearls themselves could be used interchangeably with emeralds, giving the Swedish collection a much needed emerald tiara.

> Perhaps the tiara could have added height by adding a diamond base, not dissimilar to the lozenge shaped removable base on QE2's favourite Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara.

> This suggested change will also allow the SRF collection to have a diamond and pearl tiara.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Splendid ! I would call the court jeweller and let them do it immediately if i was the King. The 4-button tiara is the tragic child in the swedish tiara collection and we do miss a pearl tiara and an Emerald tiara. Not much more fond of the 6-button tiara but since it's worn frequently by Princess Christina (and it does suit her very well) i don't think they will change it.

I would also love to see the processional necklase as a convertible tiara/necklase.

Nice idea for the button tiara, if it was up to me I would break down both tiaras and let the ladies use them as brooches, but this idea seems less destructive ;).

Or small emeralds instead of rubies in the Connaught Ruby tiara. Then they could easily use it together with the Bernadotte emeralds and a pair of Queen Silvias private emerald earrings.

Last edited:
Splendid ! I would call the court jeweller and let them do it immediately if i was the King. The 4-button tiara is the tragic child in the swedish tiara collection and we do miss a pearl tiara and an Emerald tiara. Not much more fond of the 6-button tiara but since it's worn frequently by Princess Christina (and it does suit her very well) i don't think they will change it.

The 6 button is no doubt better than the 4 button, but perhaps we could make some alterations to it as well.

> Maybe one of the buttons can be removed to improve the "balance"

> Also, perhaps some variation in the heights of the buttons could be added (by adding elements at the top or bottom of the buttons), to create a focus point on the central button.

> The button removed can either be made into a pendant for one of the collet necklaces, or perhaps a brooch, with a handing pearl under it?

I would also love to see the processional necklase as a convertible tiara/necklase.

I can see your point about the processional necklace, it would make a nice tiara.

Or small emeralds instead of rubies in the Connaught Ruby tiara. Then they could easily use it together with the Bernadotte emeralds and a pair of Queen Silvias private emerald earrings.

Or sapphires, to provide a "minor" sapphire tiara, for times when the might Leuchtenberg might be too much.

On second thoughts, how about turquoise? The Swedes do not appear to have any turquoise jewellery.

Or sapphires, to provide a "minor" sapphire tiara, for times when the might Leuchtenberg might be too much.

On second thoughts, how about turquoise? The Swedes do not appear to have any turquoise jewellery.

Interesting thought. Also the outer row of the processional necklase of celyon sapphires and baroque pearls could be an interesting spike tiara if attatched to a proper diamond base. And the inner row with only ceylon sapphires can be used as a smaller necklase. Could be an interesting sapphire option for the Crown Princess as the tiara and necklase from the Leuchtenberg Parure is reserved for Queen Silvia.

The only turqoise jewels i have seen on any of the swedish ladies is this necklase and earrings on Princess Lilian.

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1422904244.574923.jpg

Last edited:
1. Firstly I would change the frame of the Princess Lilian’s laurel tiara. The diamond wreath should be set immediately above, or even before, the velvet covered base. That way the ugly frame would be less visible and the tiara would look much better on Victoria.

2. I would take out one amethyst element from the amethyst tiara, because I think that a smaller diameter would make it look much better. At the moment the velvet covered frame is smaller than the jewel itself, so it sticks out a bit. That often looks quite unflattering, like too large lid potted on a smaller pot.

3. Yes, the buttons tiaras need a re-design. The buttons are probably not fixed permanently, so that Princess Christina could continue to use the old six-button frame (she is the only one who looks good with it, now that Princess Lillian has parted).

I would reduce the six buttons to five buttons, because there should never be a gap in the middle of a tiara. And these five buttons should be placed on a festoon-like base, similar to that of the Dutch pearl button tiara.

And about the four button tiara I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of a pearl tiara á la Benedikte. They could make the pearls interchangeable with emerald drops.

I would start with those button ones!!! Take 5 of the buttons and make a version of the Strathmore Rose Tiara (The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Strathmore Rose) and the 3 ones left I would make a brooch, a neckace pendant and a bracelet.

Also, I would do something with the amethyst tiara. As of now it just looks plopped on the head. I love the stones and it could be soooo good, but it isn't.

Ps. I can't see similar threads like this about other royal houses. Am I blind? If so, I would love more of those, or maybe making this a general thread about jewelry changes?

A very easy fix would be to buy some nice large pearls for the Leuchtenberg tiara.

The sapphires could be removed but the old pearls that belonged to the tiara are gone! It would be stunning!

2. I would take out one amethyst element from the amethyst tiara, because I think that a smaller diameter would make it look much better. At the moment the velvet covered frame is smaller than the jewel itself, so it sticks out a bit. That often looks quite unflattering, like too large lid potted on a smaller pot.

I would start with those button ones!!! Take 5 of the buttons and make a version of the Strathmore Rose Tiara (The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Strathmore Rose) and the 3 ones left I would make a brooch, a neckace pendant and a bracelet.

Also, I would do something with the amethyst tiara. As of now it just looks plopped on the head. I love the stones and it could be soooo good, but it isn't.

Re the amethyst tiara

> I think it would be great if each of the amethyst elements were turned around by 90 degrees, so that they are all standing upright, rather than "lying" on their side.

> I think this will give the tiara a bit more height, and improve the proportions.

> I also agree that it does not have to be a full circle. Some amethysts can be removed to improve the overall balance, and used separately

> Should any amethysts be freed up, perhaps a choker in pearls, and another on velvet (like Mary used for last year's New Year Courts) be created.

> I am conscience that these suggested changes require that the tiara be rebuilt. The current tiara is made by merely placing the original necklace on a frame, and can be converted back. Making these changes will mean that the convertability would be lost.

Last edited:
A very easy fix would be to buy some nice large pearls for the Leuchtenberg tiara.

The sapphires could be removed but the old pearls that belonged to the tiara are gone! It would be stunning!

I agree that would be a great idea, but I get the sense that Queen Silvia is just not keen to alter the jewels themselves.

Last edited:

They should have done that to the family weddings. The Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara but with pearls instead of sapphires would be a great wedding tiara.

What about pearl drops in the Connaught Diamond Tiara instead of diamonds ? The diamond drops can be a necklase too.

Sadly Silvia is not much for make changes in her jewels.

Last edited:
They should have done that to the family weddings. The Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara but with pearls instead of sapphires would be a great wedding tiara.

What about pearl drops in the Connaught Diamond Tiara instead of diamonds ? The diamond drops can be a necklase too.

Sadly Silvia is not much for make changes in her jewels.
Both your suggestions are very good. To get some loose jewels to vary the existing tiaras. Seems clever, not to mention a lot cheaper than buying full tiaras.

I still think, pearls or not, the Leuchtenberg should be reserved for the Queen.

I agree that would be a great idea, but I get the sense that Queen Silvia just not keen to alter the jewels themselves.

It is not an consitent change, but just a temporary one. I recall reading that when the tiara was at the court jewellry in 2006 for a greater cleaning the noticed that the fuunction of removimng the sappgires still is possible. The sapphiers are meant to be changed to pearls once in a while.

Picture/drawing of the tirara in the pearl version: The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure

It is not an consitent change, but just a temporary one. I recall reading that when the tiara was at the court jewellry in 2006 for a greater cleaning the noticed that the fuunction of removimng the sappgires still is possible. The sapphiers are meant to be changed to pearls once in a while.

Picture/drawing of the tirara in the pearl version: The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure

I agree it would be lovely with pearls.

My only reservation is that I don't think Silvia likes to play around too much with the old jewels. The only change that I think she has made over the years is to put the Amethyst necklace on a tiara frame. Even then, the necklace itself was not altered.

I agree it would be lovely with pearls.

My only reservation is that I don't think Silvia likes to play around too much with the old jewels. The only change that I think she has made over the years is to put the Amethyst necklace on a tiara frame. Even then, the necklace itself was not altered.
But she does play around with jewels. Like having strands of diamonds in her hair and such. She just doesn't alter them.

But she does play around with jewels. Like having strands of diamonds in her hair and such. She just doesn't alter them.

You are right. Perhaps I should clarify, I do not think Silvia likes to alter jewels like, for exampole, Queen Mary did, or more recently, Princess Mary did with her Ruby parure.

You are right. Perhaps I should clarify, I do not think Silvia likes to alter jewels like, for exampole, Queen Mary did, or more recently, Princess Mary did with her Ruby parure.
And i kind of understand it. I would be scared to. And if she does something people doesn't like they will blame her for destroying parts of history.

I liked the "remake" Victoria did. The earrings she wore the day before the wedding. They were from the shoulders of an old military formal uniform and she made them into earrings. Very clever. And the button tiaras, though they became bad, was made from buttons. So they do play, but much of their jewelry is very versatile and they use jewelry in a way not intended (brooches and necklaces in hair, tiara pendants as necklace etc) without having to remake them. I would understand more remakes if they had a smaller collection, but they seem very content.

Yes, Queen Silvia likes to play with the jewels, but she does not alter the substance of the historic piece. The amethyst necklace in itself is not altered, the buttons can probably just be screwed off the frames, etc.

While I agree that it would look better if the amethyst elements stood upright, that might be too big a change to that historical jewel. Whereas I think that it must be fairly easy to take out one or more elements and put them back when needed.

Yes, Queen Silvia likes to play with the jewels, but she does not alter the substance of the historic piece. The amethyst necklace in itself is not altered, the buttons can probably just be screwed off the frames, etc.

While I agree that it would look better if the amethyst elements stood upright, that might be too big a change to that historical jewel. Whereas I think that it must be fairly easy to take out one or more elements and put them back when needed.

I think this is the point I wanted to make. Mary and Margarethe, if I am not mistaken, spoke about this in the Scandi jewels documentary a few years ago. This has obviously happened over time. Jewels, can and should, be adapted to bring out the best in them and their users, keeping in mind evolving uses.

I appreciate Silvia's view that the integrity of historical jewels needs to be preserved, but I am a bit more in the Margarethe / Mary camp on this.

I think this is the point I wanted to make. Mary and Margarethe, if I am not mistaken, spoke about this in the Scandi jewels documentary a few years ago. This has obviously happened over time. Jewels, can and should, be adapted to bring out the best in them and their users, keeping in mind evolving uses.

I appreciate Silvia's view that the integrity of historical jewels needs to be preserved, but I am a bit more in the Margarethe / Mary camp on this.

But the ruby Parure which was changed by Mary can be changed back to it's original form with the ecxeption of the tiara.
I think i found it quiet strange when i read in the Queens Diamonds that Queen Mary even broke up Jewels she had got as Wedding gifts to make other Jewels out from the diamonds and pearls who sometimes (the fringe tiara for example) resembled Jewels she had already for her use.

I agree with you. The bad part is we won't know if the queen doing the changes will make it better. Often it does. But then we have the Nizam-Burmese spectacle. Hurts me every time I see it.... Such a bad decision!

I have just set up another thread where suggested changes can be discussed.

I think with the button tiaras it would already help if the bases would be changed. Renmove the second shorter upper row from the six-button tiara and use this diamonds to cover the ugly frame of the four-button tiara.
A nice idea would also to put the emerald-necklace on a frame so that it could be jused as tiara like the amethyst tiara.
Another tiara which also needs some changes is the tiara which is called Victoria's 18th birthday gift tiara. It has quiet an ugly base which has often showed when she wore it.

Last edited:
Agree with you about the 4-Button tiara. It really is the the tragic child in the swedish tiara collection. If they wanna continue with it they need to get a real diamond base and to try to not have the buttons looking like cat ears. Or rebuild it completely and to have it look more like the strathmore rose tiara. They have 2 more buttons available who are not used in any of the tiaras.

The 6-button tiara was made for Princess Lilian and it really shows. Since her departure and since Princess Christinas tiara was stolen it has been exclusively worn by Christina and i think it will continue that way. She is the only one who has hair enough to make it justice. By that reason i think she'll have the last word in wether this tiara will be rebuilt or not.

Also agree with you about Victorias 18:th birthday tiara. They need to get that awful base replaced by a smaller diamond base. I suggest a Diamond collet base.

I actually dislike the 6 button tiara much more. The two diamond 'stripes' under the six buttons are devoid of any elegance and it is a mystery why they are there. If the base of the 4-button is hidden, it can look acceptable, though it usually reminds me of a Jeep.

The 4-button tiara looks OK in this picture for example, or when CPss Victoria added a row of diamonds, click here.

A minor change would be to make the 6-button as a sort of coronet. Using a base simular to the Dutch star tiara or Fabiola's Spanish tiara. The base have enough diamonds to be rearanged, so it would be a cheap alteration.

I think Victoria's birthday tiara is ok for the purpose of it: to be worn by a young girl. It may look a bit over the top for an 18 y/o to wear an overly glittering tiara. The base is atrocious though.

Last edited:
I shudder at the thought that poor Estelle will have to wear the small saphire thingy as well. It has no sparkle, the saphires catch no light and don't show off at all. Maybe the saphires need to be surrounded by diamonds to show better?

I agree that Madeleine had the best Jeep hairstyl in years, but even on her it would have looked better to have an uneven number of buttons. Unfortunately there are only 4 identical ones.

They could keep the current frame of the six button tiara for Princess Christina, and still have an alternative frame made. It can't be difficult to make the buttons versatile so they can be used on different frames. Though I don't mind the 6 button tiara when it is worn by Princess Christina. But then it is becoming boring to see her with hardly any other tiaras anymore.

I think that the reason for the two diamond lines in the sixpack tiara is to make it look different from the 4b tiara, and to give it some hight. But there are better ways to achieve the effect.

Back
Top Bottom