The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Sofia Hellqvist: Potential wedding tiaras

We can move the discussion relating to tiara's Sofia may wear on her wedding day to this thread.

Personally, I would like to see Sofia in a new tiara, or the Connaught tiara

Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

I think the bride will wear the stråldiademet, the diamond sunbursts diadem which was given to Princess Viktoria von Baden in 1881.

My way of thinking: Prince Carl Philip is, as former Crown Prince of Sweden and as the next male in the Berndotte genealogical tree, a prominent royal. The Brazilean Diadem is only for Queens, the diadem from the Leuchtenberg Parure is nice but blue sapphires are maybe a bit off-key with a wedding dress, the diadem from the De Beauharnais Parure was already worn by the Crown Princess on her wedding day.

The diamond rosettes diadem, the diamond buttons diadem, the two steel diadems, the diadem from the amethyst parure, the converted ruby necklace, Queen Sofia's diadem (Nine Prong Diadem) and the diamond laurel wreath diadem are all possibilities but seen the position of the former Crown Prince and only male, I think that a diadem will be chosen which fits with the position of the bride but is not too big or too small, preferrably a diamonds only too, as this is fitting with the wedding dress. That makes me guessing: the stråldiademet. I have to admit it is just a guess and we will only know on the wedding day what the bride wears... During the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria, this diadem was worn by her aunt Princess Margaretha.

Pic from Svensk Damtidnig : http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle...toria-2008.jpg

Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think the bride will wear the stråldiademet, the diamond sunbursts diadem which was given to Princess Viktoria von Baden in 1881.

My way of thinking: Prince Carl Philip is, as former Crown Prince of Sweden and as the next male in the Berndotte genealogical tree, a prominent royal. The Brazilean Diadem is only for Queens, the diadem from the Leuchtenberg Parure is nice but blue sapphires are maybe a bit off-key with a wedding dress, the diadem from the De Beauharnais Parure was already worn by the Crown Princess on her wedding day.

The diamond rosettes diadem, the diamond buttons diadem, the two steel diadems, the diadem from the amethyst parure, the converted ruby necklace, Queen Sofia's diadem (Nine Prong Diadem) and the diamond laurel wreath diadem are all possibilities but seen the position of the former Crown Prince and only male, I think that a diadem will be chosen which fits with the position of the bride but is not too big or too small, preferrably a diamonds only too, as this is fitting with the wedding dress. That makes me guessing: the stråldiademet. I have to admit it is just a guess and we will only know on the wedding day what the bride wears... During the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria, this diadem was worn by her aunt Princess Margaretha.

Pic from Svensk Damtidnig : http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle...toria-2008.jpg
I do hope Sofia does not wear the Baden fringe tiara you refer to. To me, that is very much Victoria's signature tiara, quite like the modern fringe is closely associated with Maddy. I hope Sophia uses the Connaught or perhaps, the 6 button tiara
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I like the Connaught from what I have seen, and I guess that the poster above me meant the Cameo Tiara. Victoria wore it and Sofia never will.
Yes, I meant the Cameo Tiara. Also, I said that I hope Sofia doesn't wear it and not that I think she will wear it/I hope she does wear it. I haven't seen photos of Madeleine or any of the Haga Princesses wearing it, so from that I think it is just being used by Silvia and Victoria at the moment, but I'm not an expert on Swedish royal jewels, so I could be incorrect.

After having Googled the Connaught tiara, I actually think it's quite nice - it would suit Sofia's darker hair IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Do you mean this one?

Artemisia's Royal Jewels: Requests Sunday: Josephine of Leuchtenberg's Amethyst Parure

I agree. It could look amazing in her dark hair. But then she really needs a simple dress without lace and other tralala.
Having noticed your post, I now think that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's Amethyst Parure is my favourite tiara within the SRF's collection. It's beautiful, and I love the amethysts in particular. I've always thought of it as quite a magical stone. It would suit Sofia's hair colour as well, although I'm inclined to agree - Sofia would have to wear a simple dress and veil to pull it off.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, I meant the Cameo Tiara. Also, I said that I hope Sofia doesn't wear it and not that I think she will wear it/I hope she does wear it. I haven't seen photos of Madeleine or any of the Haga Princesses wearing it, so from that I think it is just being used by Silvia and Victoria at the moment, but I'm not an expert on Swedish royal jewels, so I could be incorrect.

After having Googled the Connaught tiara, I actually think it's quite nice - it would suit Sofia's darker hair IMO.

Having noticed your post, I now think that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's Amethyst Parure is my favourite tiara within the SRF's collection. It's beautiful, and I love the amethysts in particular. I've always thought of it as quite a magical stone. It would suit Sofia's hair colour as well, although I'm inclined to agree - Sofia would have to wear a simple dress and veil to pull it off.
I didn't mean to put you in your place or anything when I said that, it was purely meant as an "as is".
At least we agree on not liking the Cameo and we don't have to worry about Sofia wearing that one .
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

I understand where it comes from, that the sunburst diamond diadem is seen as "Victoria's diadem" but it is not. Other members of the royal family, also ones we rarely see, have worn this diadem.

Here you see Princess Margaretha with the sunburst diamond diadem and her sister Princess Birgitta with the Connaught diadem: http://svenskdam.se/files/2013/09/Margaretha-1.jpg

All diadems, except the Brazilean Diadem, have been worn by various ladies. We have seen Princess Birgitta with the diamond rosettes, Princess Désirée with the amethysts, Princess Christina with the steel cut diadem, etc. The only one diadem really assignated to a certain person seemed the diamond laurel wreath diadem which was exclusively worn by the late Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I understand where it comes from, that the sunburst diamond diadem is seen as "Victoria's diadem" but it is not. Other members of the royal family, also ones we rarely see, have worn this diadem.

Here you see Princess Margaretha with the sunburst diamond diadem and her sister Princess Birgitta with the Connaught diadem: http://svenskdam.se/files/2013/09/Margaretha-1.jpg

All diadems, except the Brazilean Diadem, have been worn by various ladies. We have seen Princess Birgitta with the diamond rosettes, Princess Désirée with the amethysts, Princess Christina with the steel cut diadem, etc. The only one diadem really assignated to a certain person seemed the diamond laurel wreath diadem which was exclusively worn by the late Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland.

I'm sure the reason for Lilian being the only wearer of the laurel wreath tiara is that opposed to all the other mentioned above it was her husbands private property and not a part of the family's jewel foundation.
Also all the King's sisters have at least one tiara each of their own except Christina who lost hers in a robbery a few years ago.
There's also rumours that the one Margaretha inherited from their mother has been bought by the King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The key was in the word "signature" and in this case the Baden Fringe has definitely been Victoria's 'go to' tiara just as the Modern Fringe has been Madeleine's.

No one is questioning the fact that both these tiara's are part of the foundation.

Quote:
The Laurel wreath diadem was Princess Lilian's personal property and she left it to Victoria. It is not part of the foundation so the only way it would end up on Sofia's head is if she loaned it to her.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We can move the discussion relating to tiara's Sofia may wear on her wedding day to this thread.

Personally, I would like to see Sofia in a new tiara, or the Connaught tiara
A new tiara and NOT the Connaught. With her dubious provenance definately not an historically significant tiara. Yikes.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

Can we please not start being negative about Sophia in this thread? There's no reason she cannot wear a tiara (any of them available) from the royal family.

LaRae
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
A new tiara and NOT the Connaught. With her dubious provenance definately not an historically significant tiara. Yikes.
The King and the Government of Sweden said she's good enough to be a Princess, so I think she's good enough to wear any tiara used by Swedish Princesses.

I doubt the dubious past you are talking about has any revelance at all. Not everyone is trapped in the past, there are things like repentance and forgiveness.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

Yes, very simple. Like Victoria or Mette-Marit.

I know it's very unlikely as a wedding tiara, but I think it could be very dramatic and beautiful if styled well.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
The King and the Government of Sweden said she's good enough to be a Princess, so I think she's good enough to wear any tiara used by Swedish Princesses.

I doubt the dubious past you are talking about has any revelance at all. Not everyone is trapped in the past, there are things like repentance and forgiveness.
To be precise: no one has yet said that Sofia will be a princess. Just that she and Carl Philip will get married.
About the tiaras, I don't think that she will wear the Baden Fringe tiara or the Modern Fringe. I hope that she will not wear the Connaught tiara, since Victoria has never worn it. To me it looks likely that she will wear a tiara which Victoria has also worn: the cut steel, the amethyst tiara, the six button tiara or the four button tiara.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the Connaught Tiara would look lovely on Sofia. It has always looked gorgeous on Silvia with her beautiful dark hair. But I'm quite ambivalent – as long as she doesn't wear the Cameo, I have always loathed it. IMO, the Modern Fringe looks better on a lighter shade of hair – it looks stunning on Madeleine. Josephine of Leuchtenberg's Amethyst Tiara I'm sure would look fantastic on her as well.

Quote:
Oh, I see we're continuing that schtick in this thread as well.

Going by the same way of thinking, CP and Sofia can't get married in any of the churches that have any historical significance to the SRF; they can't live in Villa Solbacken – because, you know, that's were Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian lived; nor can they even be in the presence the rest of the SRF because ew, no, don't let Jezebel with the questionable past anywhere near the angel-like royals.

Does this mean that Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway can't attend the wedding either? With her dubious provenance and all.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

With my point that the diamond sunburst diadem is worn by other ladies as well, I only wanted to make clear that on itself there is no any hindrance for Ms Hellqvist to wear that as a bridal diadem. Even given the fact that it has been worn pretty often by her future sister-in-law.

And for the titles: until arranged differently by the King and the Government, Ms Hellqvist can, by virtue of her marriage to HRH Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland, automatically be addressed as HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Värmland.

The example is Ms Craig who automatically became HRH Princess Lilian of Sweden, Duchess of Halland after her marriage to Prince Bertil. As long as the King and the Government do not specify another arrangement, the titles with which Ms Hellqvist can be addressed are pretty obvious.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I am really looking forward to seeing what she wears. The Connaught is so very ethereal and Princessy and Sofia is a sort of elfin like creature. With the right dress and updo she could look like the quintessential fairytale bride.

The fact that Sofia is a brunette is a big plus as IMO the Connaught is displayed to best advantage against dark hair as opposed to fair or blond hair

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-1s87U94i0ZY/Tq...jpg?imgmax=800

Versus

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...1c2d5331d3.jpg

So I hope that we see Princess Sofia looking absolutely beautiful on her special day.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post

Oh, I see we're continuing that schtick in this thread as well.

Going by the same way of thinking, CP and Sofia can't get married in any of the churches that have any historical significance to the SRF; they can't live in Villa Solbacken – because, you know, that's were Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian lived; nor can they even be in the presence the rest of the SRF because ew, no, don't let Jezebel with the questionable past anywhere near the angel-like royals.

Does this mean that Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway can't attend the wedding either? With her dubious provenance and all.
I see you are once again putting words in my mouth. Feel better now?

I think she should have her own tiara, much as Sarah Furgerson had. Or a piece made specially for her, just sas Sophie Rhys-Jones had.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I NEVER attack another poster for a differing opinion. Tolerance for others opinions is one of the cornerstones of civilization. I would appreciate the same courtesy.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
We are all entitled to our opinions. I NEVER attack another poster for a differing opinion. Tolerance for others opinions is one of the cornerstones of civilization. I would appreciate the same courtesy.
Yet you show little respect for Sofia's opinions, on a forum where she can't defend herself, and that is why some people make remarks on it.
To me what they say to you is nothing different than what you say to Sofia, except you do it behind her back, which to me is worse.

All in my humble opinion only, ofcourse
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I honestly just don't get why her "past" has to be brought up in every single thread, even just the jewel one.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I honestly just don't get why her "past" has to be brought up in every single thread, even just the jewel one.
I second that question. What i also don't understand is why, everytime this question is asked, someone feels the need to cut it off under the pretence of "freedom of speech" or "entitled to express opinion".

Now we all have freedom of speech it's about time we start learning about "there's a time and place (and forum) for everything"

imo, as always

Tags
jewellery, sofia hellqvist, swedish princesses, tiara