Sofia Hellqvist: Potential Wedding Tiaras

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tiara do you think Sofia Hellqvist will wear on her wedding day?

• 01. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/4dea239e-b7a3-4e9b-9f56-39e666347afa_zpsab

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 02. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/e1db63d1-af37-4916-a71a-a6691ef437da_zpsc6

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 03. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/d0159c5d-b149-4455-a14d-c2236620cdbd_zps84

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • 04. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/1839724c-be19-4476-b918-ae5bc9b2c03a_zps21

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 05. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/71ed8e3e-01a2-4593-adc2-bb4ed986e2d3_zpse3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 06. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/fa6545ff-2206-431c-8fa7-c349e18814de_zps9c

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • 07. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/2d8e6509-85e1-4f6b-8aca-88dcc7e5d1eb_zpsa6

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 08. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/f86bd0ba-f951-4011-9e95-eddcf3ffaf4d_zps99

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 09. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/b8b18a65-087d-494d-bde1-18b8807c6a18_zps4b

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 10. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/27f38b5e-80ed-4b8d-bb6a-ee381c621bc9_zpsf8

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • 11. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/1e1d8d3d-f990-413a-a11c-d99e79ccf711_zpsb5

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • 12. [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/TRFpolls/media/9041370f-7675-4592-aa44-2d5410548bb4_zps51

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13. Other Tiara, please specify

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 14. New Tiara

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 15. No Tiara

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My guess is that Prince Carl Philip have designed a tiara especially for her with diamonds already in the royal family collection. She will then start her royal life with a tiara all her own.

Yes, I like that idea and it sounds more like them

I would like to see her wear the Baden fringe tiara. That's largely because it's the one I like most but I also think it would suit her. I'm not keen on the button tiaras or the cameo.

My favorite is the Queen Silvia's Fringe Tiara...then the small Steel Tiara....I also like the Connaught Tiara.

LaRae

My money is on the Edward VII ruby Tiara, if she wears one.

I know its ownership is somewhat disputed, which is probably why it doesn't get much wear. And because it doesn't get much wear, I think it's perfect to be "her" tiara......Unless Princess Lilian left something sparkly to CP for his future bride to use.

I know its ownership is somewhat disputed, which is probably why it doesn't get much wear. And because it doesn't get much wear, I think it's perfect to be "her" tiara......Unless Princess Lilian left something sparkly to CP for his future bride to use.

I would like to see that become a signature tiara for Sofia- it's currently underused, and I think it would work well on her. I think the dispute in ownership isn't as big a deal now that the person who fought the royal family on ownership has passed away.

:previous: I think that is unlikely as it is still a 'sort of', 'almost', big gun. My second reservation is that it is coloured stone and very, very, few royal brides sport anything other than a diamond tiara or, in Silvia and Victoria's case, a traditional one.

Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland will be married to the man who once was Sweden's Crown Prince and still is the procreator of the direct senior male line of the royal dynasty. So she is not a third-rank princess which has the choice from the left-overs. We will see her with splendid diadems in the future. I wish her a long and happy life and in that life she will most likely wear all diadems in the Bernadotte Foundation except the Bragança Diadem, which is only worn by Queens.

My guess is that Princess Sofia will wear the diamond fringe diadem of Queen Victoria of Sweden born Princess von Baden. Why? Not only because it is one of the most beautiful fringe diadems around, also because via Queen Victoria, the Bernadotte bloodline (of which Prince Carl Philip is the procreator) merged with the bloodline of the original royal Houses of Sweden, the House of Vasa and of Holstein-Gottorp.

Princess Lilian's will was made public. So we know for sure the CP did not inherit a tiara. It seems that she owned two tiaras which were explecitly left to Victoria.
I would like to see that become a signature tiara for Sofia- it's currently underused, and I think it would work well on her. I think the dispute in ownership isn't as big a deal now that the person who fought the royal family on ownership has passed away.
Imo the ruby tiara is difficult to place because it is so high with a rather small diamenter. It always sits perched rather high on the crown of the head. This would make it difficult to use as a signature tiara, imo, because it would work with few hair-dos only. Also the coloured stones would limit the range of colours in the gowns, which also is of disadvantage for a signature tiara.

Besides, the former owner's wife, Countess Marianne Bernadotte, is not only still alive, she is most likely amoung the guests. Imo it would be discorteous to her if the bride wore her former tiara.
:previous: I think that is unlikely as it is still a 'sort of', 'almost', big gun. My second reservation is that it is coloured stone and very, very, few royal brides sport anything other than a diamond tiara or, in Silvia and Victoria's case, a traditional one.
I completely agree:flowers:.

Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland will be married to the man who once was Sweden's Crown Prince and still is the procreator of the direct senior male line of the royal dynasty. So she is not a third-rank princess which has the choice from the left-overs. We will see her with splendid diadems in the future. I wish her a long and happy life and in that life she will most likely wear all diadems in the Bernadotte Foundation except the Bragança Diadem, which is only worn by Queens.

My guess is that Princess Sofia will wear the diamond fringe diadem of Queen Victoria of Sweden born Princess von Baden. Why? Not only because it is one of the most beautiful fringe diadems around, also because via Queen Victoria, the Bernadotte bloodline (of which Prince Carl Philip is the procreator) merged with the bloodline of the original royal Houses of Sweden, the House of Vasa and of Holstein-Gottorp.

That "male line" has no function anymore as Sweden since 1980 has full cognatic succession and Carl Philip will not be given any royal priviligies upon the Death of the King that would normally have gone to the monarch. It is important to remember that the royal family is not part of a nobility and that their ducal titles are only honorary titles.

You can add the sapphire tiara and the cameo tiara (with the exception of weddings for the Cameo) to the list of "reserved for the first lady".

Princess Sofia will likely wear the baden fringe tiara from time to time but it is mostly worn by the Crown Princess when there is one as it's also stated in the will left by Queen Victoria.

Sofias main tiaras will likely be the
Amethtyst tiara (wich would suit her dark hair colour very well), shared use of the 2 button tiaras with Christina and shared use of the Cut steel tiara with Victoria.
I wouldn't be surprised if Victoria from time to time will share Lilians tiara with Sofia too as Carl Philip also was very close to Bertil and Lilian.

Last edited:
My bet is either the Amethyst or the Connaught tiara.

I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. Some are clearly reserved for the Queen. Some are mainly worn by Victoria and were never used by Madeleine (Baden fringe, the two cut steels*); others were never worn by Victoria but only by Madeleine (modern fringe and aquamarine bandeau.

What we don't know is whether this is just their personal preferance, or if they agreed that each lady should have certain signature pieces not to be worn by the other. If the latter case is true, it means that only the buttons tiara and the amethyst tiara are really availabe in the pool of shared tiaras. Not really much. This could be helped by giving Sofia a new tiara of her own, like Madeleine probably has the modern fringe as her own tiara.

__
* the fringe and the large cutsteel have been shared with the Haga princesses at Madeleine's wedding though.

I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. [....]

When we look to the sisters and the aunt of the King: together they have worn all diadems except the grandest piece (the Bragança Diadem). So -like in the Netherlands- the Foundation gives equall access to all Princesses of the House in their "execution of the royal function" with the Queen at first hand. Even a lady married to an uncle of the present King, has worn pretty many diadems from this Foundation (Lilian with the four and six buttons, the fringe, the nine prong, the laurel leaf, etc.).

So we may expect that when Princess Sofia and Princess Madeleine are at the age of the King's sisters now, they have together worn all diadems too, except the biggest one (ones).

I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. Some are clearly reserved for the Queen. Some are mainly worn by Victoria and were never used by Madeleine (Baden fringe, the two cut steels*); others were never worn by Victoria but only by Madeleine (modern fringe and aquamarine bandeau.

What we don't know is whether this is just their personal preferance, or if they agreed that each lady should have certain signature pieces not to be worn by the other. If the latter case is true, it means that only the buttons tiara and the amethyst tiara are really availabe in the pool of shared tiaras. Not really much. This could be helped by giving Sofia a new tiara of her own, like Madeleine probably has the modern fringe as her own tiara.

__
* the fringe and the large cutsteel have been shared with the Haga princesses at Madeleine's wedding though.

They have likely an agreement that the Queen should always wear the grandest tiara at the ocassions and the others may choose what they want after that.

3 tiaras is apparently strictly reserved for Silvia and that is ofcourse the Braganza tiara, the sapphire tiara and the cameo tiara (except for wedding brides)

We also know that the Baden fringe tiara is mainly worn by Victoria wich is according to the will left by Queen Victoria that it should be primarily used by the Crown Princess when there is one. We also now that Lilian left her tiara to Victoria.

Others than that i don't think there are any kind of "reservations". The
Modern fringe tiara is rumoured to have been gifted to Madeleine and it is supported by the fact that she is the sole wearer of it during recent years but we still have nothing that really proves it is her private property.

And i wouldn't be surprised if Victoria and Sofia will share tiaras from time to time. I don't think the Cit steel tiara is reserved for anyone. Apparently it matches Victorias head very well and thus she has become the main wearer.

But i like the idea of gifting Sofia with a Private tiara. A new tiara will likely be given to Carl Philip for Sofia to use to ensure it stays in the family in the event of a divorce.

one thing is for sure in that she won't pick the Large Steel Tiara or the button tiaras which are not really bridal tiaras and not the nicest out of the lot. i also don't find it likely that she will get a "new tiara" (in the sense of brand new) as it will be slightly humiliating not letting her wear the family tiaras, but it is possible she may get a new tiara, in the sense of a tiara belonging to the family but never worn before (maybe from lilian?). in any case i think a family association is required for the chosen tiara, and i doubt it will be a brand new tiara purchased for her.

I think she will wear one of the other tiara's , simply because a new one would cause all the one's who believe she is not accepted to have a field day. See they don't like her wouldn't let her wear a tiara. I think Carl may design her one maybe even as a wedding gift but it won't be worn until after the wedding.

So, why can't the Prince gift his fiancée with a new tiara of her own? Is that not allowed in this royal family? That would solve whatever problems there might be with four women sharing a rather small amount of tiaras. I'm not at all familiar with the Swedish royal family, how rich they are, etc., but surely they can get a tiara for the new bride to have as her own.

Yes he can have a new one created for her...but often it seems like with royals they use family ones for weddings.

LaRae

I didn't neccesarily mean a brand new tiara but a tiara purchased for her at an auction. That can hardly upset anyone (except for the republican association). Wouldn't it be the best option for her as like Lilian have a private tiara to wear to most ocassions and from time to time borrow something from that mystery vault in the catacombs under the Royal Palace ;)

I don't know if i really trust Prince Carl Philip's design skills so much that i would belive he could make a proper royal tiara.

According to the will of Princess Lilian wich was made Public in it's entirety she had the laurel wreath tiara she got from Prince Bertil and a diadem of white gold, steel and diamonds that we as far as we know haven't seen yet. Both of them were left to the Crown Princess so unless Victoria have sold something to Carl Philip, there is no tiara available from Lilian.

Last edited:
I didn't neccesarily mean a brand new tiara but a tiara purchased for her at an auction. That can hardly upset anyone (except for the republican association). Wouldn't it be the best option for her as like Lilian have a private tiara to wear to most ocassions and from time to time borrow something from that mystery vault in the catacombs under the Royal Palace ;)

I don't know if i really trust Prince Carl Philip's design skills so much that i would belive he could make a proper royal tiara.

According to the will of Princess Lilian wich was made Public in it's entirety she had the laurel wreath tiara she got from Prince Bertil and a diadem of white gold, steel and diamonds that we as far as we know haven't seen yet. Both of them were left to the Crown Princess so unless Victoria have sold something to Carl Philip, there is no tiara available from Lilian.

I completely agree with you. An old antique tiara purchased at an auction would be the best option in my opinion. Since so many tiaras are already "earmarked" to be used either by Silvia, Victoria or Madeleine, it would be the best thing for Sofia to have one of her own that would be associated only with her. Carl Philip designing a tiara? I'm not really a fan of modern tiaras, so perhaps not.

And we've seen all the Swedish tiaras (except perhaps the ruby tiara) so many times that I'd love to see new ones!!

I completely agree with you. An old antique tiara purchased at an auction would be the best option in my opinion. Since so many tiaras are already "earmarked" to be used either by Silvia, Victoria or Madeleine, it would be the best thing for Sofia to have one of her own that would be associated only with her. Carl Philip designing a tiara? I'm not really a fan of modern tiaras, so perhaps not.

And we've seen all the Swedish tiaras (except perhaps the ruby tiara) so many times that I'd love to see new ones!!
I'd love to see Sophia in a family tiara for her wedding and have grave reservations about CP's designing a tiara (only have to look at Prince Albert).

You gave me a really chuckle when you appear bored with the Swedish tiaras because we've seen them so often. We moan and bewail that other royal houses can't be bothered to dust off the sparklers from their vaults.

It's funny, we accept that Sweden equals tiaras and often, so of course they need to dust off some that we perhaps have not seen or obtain some new ones. We never are truly satisfied. :ROFLMAO:

I like what you've brought for consideration, LadyFinn. :flowers:

The experts told to Svensk Damtidning earlier that it is a good way to get a tiara buy buying it from an auction. Here are some diadems sold recently at the swedish auction houses:
128. ETT LJUVLIGT DIADEM - Court Jeweller W.A Bolin

This one looks very delicate. Might look quite beautiful on Sofia. (Note: It's been sold).

This one is okay. Not my favorite but okay.

This is my favorite. When I saw it, it just cried out Sofia's name. :flowers: This would look great on her. The gold with the jewel's coloring, would go well with her dark hair imo.

Last edited:
The experts told to Svensk Damtidning earlier that it is a good way to get a tiara buy buying it from an auction. Here are some diadems sold recently at the swedish auction houses:
https://www.bukowskis.com/sv/auctions/568/1096-diadem-antikslipade-diamanter-tot-ca-7-8-ct-1800-tal
2974. Diadem
3295. Diadem
2490. Diadem guld Stockholm 1816
1370. Armband/diadem guld rubiner diamanter

I haven't really believed the whole time that they would buy her a new tiara. Partly because SRF doesn't seem to buy tiaras in general and partly because I was under the impression tiaras sold in auctions are very expensive. Seeing these options I've changed my mind about the price since they seem to be almost cheap! For a wealthy person of course, won't be buying one myself. :lol:

The first three are all very beautiful and would suit Sofia well.

Which ever of them she wears .. all I can say is .. I am REALLY looking forward to the wedding... can't wait.

I think it would be lovely if Carl Philip bought or designed a new tiara for Sofia. However, at the wedding I would like to see her in one of the family tiaras, for two reasons: The Swedish Royal family have some great items in their possesion. And I know that there are people out there who don't think that Sofia is worthy of wearing them. They would have a field day if she wore something new for her wedding. So a new one, but not for the wedding, is what I want to see :)

I like it when Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland will be showered with new jewels by her spouse, but at her Wedding Day, I hope she will wear one from the historic collection, with a preference for jewels going back to the first Bernadottes, since Carl Philip is their genealogical procreator in direct line.

Last edited:
The official court website has sometimes refered to Madeleine as wearing 'her own tiara'. OK, the PR department is know to make mistakes from time to time. But imo this still is a strong indication that the modern fringe is now really owned by Princess Madeleine.

If that is the case, it would definitely make sense that Sofia also receives a personal tiara. And if a new tiara is bought for her, it does not matter if it should leave the family in case of a divorce. I mean a divorce will always be expensive, but there would not be a lost heirloom. And what would CP do with his ex-wife's tiara? Give it to wife no. 2? Anyway, let's not speculate too much about divorce, they have to marry first;).

Giving her a personal tiara does not mean that she will be barred from using the historic tiaras from time to time. She will just be on the same footing as Madeleine. And it doesn't even mean that she will necessarily wear it at her wedding. She could still wear a family tiara at the wedding start wearing her own later on. Although the weddings seem a perfect event to break in a new tiara.

CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary both received a new tiara from their in-laws and wore them at their weddings. Does this mean that we think they were not accepted by the family? I don't think so. And the SWR has made it very clear that they accept Sofia. They invited her to private events for years, included her in all sorts of official events since the engagement, etc. Still, people who dislike her will always look for signs that her future in-laws dislike her. Wearing a certain tiara won't change that.

I do not believe that a new tiara would come as gift from the groom. It seems rather the tradition that the new parents-in-law give it (at least this is what happened in Norway and Denmark, Belgium is a different story because Mathilde's tiara was a gift from the nobility). As for Carl Philip designing one: I hope not! Firstly, contemporary tiaras are very often rather awful. Secondly his designs so far aren't indicating that he could pull off a good tiara design. Just my opinion.

A good option is to buy an antique tiara. Usually one gets the most flattering designs for a better price than in a new tiara. But I don't think that they would buy at auction. That would mean that the price tag would be all over the papers and the internet! But it is also possibly to dicreetly buy antique pieces at a jeweller. Probably that's what was done with Mary and Mette-Marit's tiaras, because no one ever found out anything about them being auctioned.

https://www.bukowskis.com/sv/auctions/568/1096-diadem-antikslipade-diamanter-tot-ca-7-8-ct-1800-tal
2974. Diadem
3295. Diadem
2490. Diadem guld Stockholm 1816
1370. Armband/diadem guld rubiner diamanter

Lovely tiara's. Thank you for posting.
I do think that the first one is the only one "suitable" for a new member of a RF. The others are either too minimalistic (2nd one) or have coloured stones. The first one is lovely!

Back
Top Bottom