The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara do you think Sofia Hellqvist will wear on her wedding day?
01. Queen Silvia's Fringe Tiara 5 3.82%
02. Amethyst Tiara 4 3.05%
03. Baden Fringe Tiara 13 9.92%
04. Cameo Tiara 7 5.34%
05. Large Steel Tiara 0 0%
06. Small Steel Tiara 6 4.58%
07. Edward VII Ruby Tiara 2 1.53%
08. Six Button Tiara 7 5.34%
09. Four Button Tiara 10 7.63%
10. Connaught Tiara 27 20.61%
11. Laurel Tiara 8 6.11%
12. Small Aquamarine Tiara 0 0%
13. Other Tiara, please specify 4 3.05%
14. New Tiara 33 25.19%
15. No Tiara 5 3.82%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. Some are clearly reserved for the Queen. Some are mainly worn by Victoria and were never used by Madeleine (Baden fringe, the two cut steels*); others were never worn by Victoria but only by Madeleine (modern fringe and aquamarine bandeau.

What we don't know is whether this is just their personal preferance, or if they agreed that each lady should have certain signature pieces not to be worn by the other. If the latter case is true, it means that only the buttons tiara and the amethyst tiara are really availabe in the pool of shared tiaras. Not really much. This could be helped by giving Sofia a new tiara of her own, like Madeleine probably has the modern fringe as her own tiara.

__
* the fringe and the large cutsteel have been shared with the Haga princesses at Madeleine's wedding though.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

The experts told to Svensk Damtidning earlier that it is a good way to get a tiara buy buying it from an auction. Here are some diadems sold recently at the swedish auction houses:
128. ETT LJUVLIGT DIADEM - Court Jeweller W.A Bolin
https://www.bukowskis.com/sv/auction...-8-ct-1800-tal
2974. Diadem
3295. Diadem
2490. Diadem guld Stockholm 1816
1370. Armband/diadem guld rubiner diamanter

Old 06-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. [....]
When we look to the sisters and the aunt of the King: together they have worn all diadems except the grandest piece (the Bragança Diadem). So -like in the Netherlands- the Foundation gives equall access to all Princesses of the House in their "execution of the royal function" with the Queen at first hand. Even a lady married to an uncle of the present King, has worn pretty many diadems from this Foundation (Lilian with the four and six buttons, the fringe, the nine prong, the laurel leaf, etc.).

So we may expect that when Princess Sofia and Princess Madeleine are at the age of the King's sisters now, they have together worn all diadems too, except the biggest one (ones).
Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Sofia Hellqvist: Potential Wedding Tiaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I wonder how they will distribute the tiaras in the future. Some are clearly reserved for the Queen. Some are mainly worn by Victoria and were never used by Madeleine (Baden fringe, the two cut steels*); others were never worn by Victoria but only by Madeleine (modern fringe and aquamarine bandeau.

What we don't know is whether this is just their personal preferance, or if they agreed that each lady should have certain signature pieces not to be worn by the other. If the latter case is true, it means that only the buttons tiara and the amethyst tiara are really availabe in the pool of shared tiaras. Not really much. This could be helped by giving Sofia a new tiara of her own, like Madeleine probably has the modern fringe as her own tiara.

__
* the fringe and the large cutsteel have been shared with the Haga princesses at Madeleine's wedding though.

They have likely an agreement that the Queen should always wear the grandest tiara at the ocassions and the others may choose what they want after that.

3 tiaras is apparently strictly reserved for Silvia and that is ofcourse the Braganza tiara, the sapphire tiara and the cameo tiara (except for wedding brides)

We also know that the Baden fringe tiara is mainly worn by Victoria wich is according to the will left by Queen Victoria that it should be primarily used by the Crown Princess when there is one. We also now that Lilian left her tiara to Victoria.

Others than that i don't think there are any kind of "reservations". The
Modern fringe tiara is rumoured to have been gifted to Madeleine and it is supported by the fact that she is the sole wearer of it during recent years but we still have nothing that really proves it is her private property.

And i wouldn't be surprised if Victoria and Sofia will share tiaras from time to time. I don't think the Cit steel tiara is reserved for anyone. Apparently it matches Victorias head very well and thus she has become the main wearer.

But i like the idea of gifting Sofia with a Private tiara. A new tiara will likely be given to Carl Philip for Sofia to use to ensure it stays in the family in the event of a divorce.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Majesty

one thing is for sure in that she won't pick the Large Steel Tiara or the button tiaras which are not really bridal tiaras and not the nicest out of the lot. i also don't find it likely that she will get a "new tiara" (in the sense of brand new) as it will be slightly humiliating not letting her wear the family tiaras, but it is possible she may get a new tiara, in the sense of a tiara belonging to the family but never worn before (maybe from lilian?). in any case i think a family association is required for the chosen tiara, and i doubt it will be a brand new tiara purchased for her.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

I think she will wear one of the other tiara's , simply because a new one would cause all the one's who believe she is not accepted to have a field day. See they don't like her wouldn't let her wear a tiara. I think Carl may design her one maybe even as a wedding gift but it won't be worn until after the wedding.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

So, why can't the Prince gift his fiancée with a new tiara of her own? Is that not allowed in this royal family? That would solve whatever problems there might be with four women sharing a rather small amount of tiaras. I'm not at all familiar with the Swedish royal family, how rich they are, etc., but surely they can get a tiara for the new bride to have as her own.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes he can have a new one created for her...but often it seems like with royals they use family ones for weddings.

LaRae
Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

Sofia Hellqvist: Potential Wedding Tiaras

I didn't neccesarily mean a brand new tiara but a tiara purchased for her at an auction. That can hardly upset anyone (except for the republican association). Wouldn't it be the best option for her as like Lilian have a private tiara to wear to most ocassions and from time to time borrow something from that mystery vault in the catacombs under the Royal Palace

I don't know if i really trust Prince Carl Philip's design skills so much that i would belive he could make a proper royal tiara.

According to the will of Princess Lilian wich was made Public in it's entirety she had the laurel wreath tiara she got from Prince Bertil and a diadem of white gold, steel and diamonds that we as far as we know haven't seen yet. Both of them were left to the Crown Princess so unless Victoria have sold something to Carl Philip, there is no tiara available from Lilian.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I didn't neccesarily mean a brand new tiara but a tiara purchased for her at an auction. That can hardly upset anyone (except for the republican association). Wouldn't it be the best option for her as like Lilian have a private tiara to wear to most ocassions and from time to time borrow something from that mystery vault in the catacombs under the Royal Palace

I don't know if i really trust Prince Carl Philip's design skills so much that i would belive he could make a proper royal tiara.

According to the will of Princess Lilian wich was made Public in it's entirety she had the laurel wreath tiara she got from Prince Bertil and a diadem of white gold, steel and diamonds that we as far as we know haven't seen yet. Both of them were left to the Crown Princess so unless Victoria have sold something to Carl Philip, there is no tiara available from Lilian.
I completely agree with you. An old antique tiara purchased at an auction would be the best option in my opinion. Since so many tiaras are already "earmarked" to be used either by Silvia, Victoria or Madeleine, it would be the best thing for Sofia to have one of her own that would be associated only with her. Carl Philip designing a tiara? I'm not really a fan of modern tiaras, so perhaps not.

And we've seen all the Swedish tiaras (except perhaps the ruby tiara) so many times that I'd love to see new ones!!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I completely agree with you. An old antique tiara purchased at an auction would be the best option in my opinion. Since so many tiaras are already "earmarked" to be used either by Silvia, Victoria or Madeleine, it would be the best thing for Sofia to have one of her own that would be associated only with her. Carl Philip designing a tiara? I'm not really a fan of modern tiaras, so perhaps not.

And we've seen all the Swedish tiaras (except perhaps the ruby tiara) so many times that I'd love to see new ones!!
I'd love to see Sophia in a family tiara for her wedding and have grave reservations about CP's designing a tiara (only have to look at Prince Albert).

You gave me a really chuckle when you appear bored with the Swedish tiaras because we've seen them so often. We moan and bewail that other royal houses can't be bothered to dust off the sparklers from their vaults.

It's funny, we accept that Sweden equals tiaras and often, so of course they need to dust off some that we perhaps have not seen or obtain some new ones. We never are truly satisfied.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like what you've brought for consideration, LadyFinn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The experts told to Svensk Damtidning earlier that it is a good way to get a tiara buy buying it from an auction. Here are some diadems sold recently at the swedish auction houses:
This one looks very delicate. Might look quite beautiful on Sofia. (Note: It's been sold).

Quote:
This one is okay. Not my favorite but okay.

Quote:
This is my favorite. When I saw it, it just cried out Sofia's name. This would look great on her. The gold with the jewel's coloring, would go well with her dark hair imo.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
2974. Diadem
3295. Diadem
I haven't really believed the whole time that they would buy her a new tiara. Partly because SRF doesn't seem to buy tiaras in general and partly because I was under the impression tiaras sold in auctions are very expensive. Seeing these options I've changed my mind about the price since they seem to be almost cheap! For a wealthy person of course, won't be buying one myself.

The first three are all very beautiful and would suit Sofia well.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Which ever of them she wears .. all I can say is .. I am REALLY looking forward to the wedding... can't wait.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:34 AM
Courtier

I think it would be lovely if Carl Philip bought or designed a new tiara for Sofia. However, at the wedding I would like to see her in one of the family tiaras, for two reasons: The Swedish Royal family have some great items in their possesion. And I know that there are people out there who don't think that Sofia is worthy of wearing them. They would have a field day if she wore something new for her wedding. So a new one, but not for the wedding, is what I want to see :)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Which ever of them she wears .. all I can say is .. I am REALLY looking forward to the wedding... can't wait.

Couldn't have said it better
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I like it when Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland will be showered with new jewels by her spouse, but at her Wedding Day, I hope she will wear one from the historic collection, with a preference for jewels going back to the first Bernadottes, since Carl Philip is their genealogical procreator in direct line.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Nobility

I think the Connaught tiara or Baden Fringe tiara.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The official court website has sometimes refered to Madeleine as wearing 'her own tiara'. OK, the PR department is know to make mistakes from time to time. But imo this still is a strong indication that the modern fringe is now really owned by Princess Madeleine.

If that is the case, it would definitely make sense that Sofia also receives a personal tiara. And if a new tiara is bought for her, it does not matter if it should leave the family in case of a divorce. I mean a divorce will always be expensive, but there would not be a lost heirloom. And what would CP do with his ex-wife's tiara? Give it to wife no. 2? Anyway, let's not speculate too much about divorce, they have to marry first.

Giving her a personal tiara does not mean that she will be barred from using the historic tiaras from time to time. She will just be on the same footing as Madeleine. And it doesn't even mean that she will necessarily wear it at her wedding. She could still wear a family tiara at the wedding start wearing her own later on. Although the weddings seem a perfect event to break in a new tiara.

CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary both received a new tiara from their in-laws and wore them at their weddings. Does this mean that we think they were not accepted by the family? I don't think so. And the SWR has made it very clear that they accept Sofia. They invited her to private events for years, included her in all sorts of official events since the engagement, etc. Still, people who dislike her will always look for signs that her future in-laws dislike her. Wearing a certain tiara won't change that.

I do not believe that a new tiara would come as gift from the groom. It seems rather the tradition that the new parents-in-law give it (at least this is what happened in Norway and Denmark, Belgium is a different story because Mathilde's tiara was a gift from the nobility). As for Carl Philip designing one: I hope not! Firstly, contemporary tiaras are very often rather awful. Secondly his designs so far aren't indicating that he could pull off a good tiara design. Just my opinion.

A good option is to buy an antique tiara. Usually one gets the most flattering designs for a better price than in a new tiara. But I don't think that they would buy at auction. That would mean that the price tag would be all over the papers and the internet! But it is also possibly to dicreetly buy antique pieces at a jeweller. Probably that's what was done with Mary and Mette-Marit's tiaras, because no one ever found out anything about them being auctioned.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
2974. Diadem
3295. Diadem
Lovely tiara's. Thank you for posting.
I do think that the first one is the only one "suitable" for a new member of a RF. The others are either too minimalistic (2nd one) or have coloured stones. The first one is lovely!

Tags
jewellery, sofia hellqvist, swedish princesses, tiara, wedding, wedding tiara