Royal Jewels Foundations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duc_et_Pair

Imperial Majesty
City
City
Country
Netherlands
But on the other hand Mathilde has a tiara she personally owns. Máxima doesn't own one of the tiaras she has at her disposal.

Well, I hope the Belgians -at last- follow the Swedish and Dutch examples and set everything in House Foundations to preserve it for the future. Nice to own it, not so nice to be forced to sell it...

Last edited by a moderator:
But the other hand is better that has something to sell to the difficult times.

Come on Duc my english is poor i try to read it and to changing 2 or 3 times .Mercy. So they must to decide to sell all the heirs to Queen Wilhelmina? I take the way on Belgians.

But all the jewels and the palaces don't inherited the then King or Queen? Queen Beatrice they taking all this jewels?

Very enlightening article thanks Lee-Z. So there laws to the Netherland to oblige to separate it to all children. Now i get it nice smart indeed.

I understood is very common and naturally this. Just for me is very very new that and difficult to understood completelly. Thak you for all the informations.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the other hand is better that has something to sell to the difficult times.

I am not sure how it is in the Swedish situation, but in the Netherlands any legal entity (Trusts, Foundations, etc.) can be dissolved. A decision of the Board is needed, then a formal publication of this dissolution in the registers of the Chamber of Commerce. Any revenues which may remain after the ending of a Foundation must be used according the original purpose of the Foundation.

In the Dutch case: "To ensure that the descendants of Her Majesty Queen Wilhelmina, Princess of Orange-Nassau, have all means at their disposal which are neccessary to execute the royal dignity". This means that these jewels then leave the "safe" legal entity and become personal property again, most likely the heirs of the late Queen Wilhelmina who still have a claim. Ultimately the person who has these jewels in his/her private ownership might decide to sell them indeed, with the restriction that it must be offered to the other heirs first.

Last edited:
Come on Duc my english is poor i try to read it and to changing 2 or 3 times .Mercy. So they must to decide to sell all the heirs to Queen Wilhelmina? I take the way on Belgians.

Look at Sweden: the House of the future Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland: the size and level of historical importance of the Swedish collection is directly due to the fact that they have a family foundation to hold these jewels together.

Look at the Netherlands: Queen Wilhelmina was a single child. Queen Juliana was a single child. The collection remained intact for many decades. But Queen Juliana had four daughters and this would mean: everything divided in four parts. Not only historically important items would leave the House, her daughters would face massively high taxes on anything they inherited. And so Queen Juliana created a foundation and donated her jewels. The jewels now remain in the family for future generations to use, her daughters were free of that immense tax burden, and they still can use these beautiful jewels....

All in all, a very smart move by the Swedes and the Dutch...

:flowers:

But all the jewels and the palaces don't inherited the then King or Queen? Queen Beatrice they taking all this jewels?

No. Instead of being property of an individual, it is property of a family, set into a special legal entity.

This is nothing new. Already under the Roman Emperor Augustus (Gaius Octavianus Caesar) the fideicommissum was introduced. It translates from the Latin word fides (trust) and committere (to commit), meaning that something is committed to one's trust.

A foundation is a modern-day version of a fideicommissum. This is also possible in Belgium. A few months ago Queen Mathilde, her sister Hélène and her brother Charles-Henri have placed the Château de Losange and the domains around into a special foundation: the Groupe Forestier de Losange. Also here they decided not to split op the inheritance of their father, but to keep it together for the benefit of the family.

:flowers:

It looks very much like the Foundations, with no tax burden on individual family members, works almost the same as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's Sovereign to Sovereign transfer, which also incurs no tax burden.

I have seen some non-royalists moan and bewail that they get special treatment because of that. What the invariably fail to notice is that the jewellery remains intact and in the public eye.

But, let's be honest, Sweden is the only country that has regular tiara gatherings on such grand scales. The BRF seem to have relatively few.

I wonder, did the Queen Mother have to pay taxes on the Greville bequest?

Tiara & Jewels guessing for upcoming events

The Swedish royal foundations aren't the only ones of that sort in the country. Even though the system of entailed estates or fideikommis as its called in Sweden was cancelled by law in the 60s it's still possible to get permission from the government to keep them intact if they're seen as culturally significant to the nation. This has had the effect that several of the biggest landed estates in Sweden are still under the same laws of inheritance as they have been for several centuries.
Just a few years ago the King applied to have the statues of the Galliera foundation changed so that instead of going to the senior male heir it will now go to the monarch.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I wonder, did the Queen Mother have to pay taxes on the Greville bequest?

I have no idea what the rules in the early 1940s were, but I have no doubt they were complied with. That said, I suspect it was all tax-free for the monarch at the time.

Many historic estates in the Netherlands have been placed in the hands of foundations, exactly like the Swedish and Dutch royal families have placed jewels and properties into several foundations.

For an example, in 2000 the beautiful Castle De Haar was handed over into the ownership of a foundation, with the aim to preserve the historic monument and the grand art collection for the future. There is a restriction: every year in the month of September the donating family (Van Zuylen van Nijevelt) wants to make use of (parts) of the premises. So instead of being enforced to break it all up and sell all historic artefacts, the family decided to keep it together for future generations. In this way they are still able to enjoy the fantastic properties.

It is exactly the same principle as with those jewel foundations. Almost all monumental estates, art collections, historic domains, etc. in almost all countries with a Napoleontic system of inheritances (all children have the right on an equal part) are owned by foundations and no longer by natural persons. Imagine that a heir has to pay all these taxes over these properties, it is just impossible...

Last edited:
i have question about the access to the swedish foundation , why the countesses and princesses of bernadotte don't have access to the family foundation ?

i have question about the access to the swedish foundation , why the countesses and princesses of bernadotte don't have access to the family foundation ?
There are no Princess Bernadotte since the death of Kristin Bernadotte a few years ago. While I dont know the exact rules of the Royal foundations Im certain its only for the members of the Royal family which doesnt include the counts & countesses Bernadotte.
Many Swedish family foundations & fideicommis includes rules regulating access to them. If you break the rules youre basically out.
The Royal family consists of the Royal house (King, Queen, their kids & their spouses & their grandchildren + Princess Birgitta), the kings other three sisters & their spouses & Countess Marianne Bernadotte (widow of the Kings uncle Count Sigvard Bernadotte).

Last edited:
There are no Princess Bernadotte since the death of Karin Bernadotte a few years ago.

actually it's since Princess Kristine Bernadotte death in 2014 .

While I dont know the exact rules of the Royal foundations Im certain its only for the members of the Royal family which doesnt include the counts & countesses Bernadotte.
Many Swedish family foundations & fideicommis includes rules regulating access to them. If you break the rules youre basically out.
The Royal family consists of the Royal house (King, Queen, their kids & their spouses & their grandchildren + Princess Birgitta), the kings other three sisters & their spouses & Countess Marianne Bernadotte (widow of the Kings uncle Count Sigvard Bernadotte).

i only asked because three of the haga princesses broke the rules like their uncles did but still they had access to the foundation unlike the wife's and daughters of their uncles .

actually it's since Princess Kristine Bernadotte death in 2014 .
While I dont know the exact rules of the Royal foundations Im certain its only for the members of the Royal family which doesnt include the counts & countesses Bernadotte.
The Royal family consists of the Royal house (King, Queen, their kids & their spouses & their grandchildren + Princess Birgitta), the kings other three sisters & their spouses & Countess Marianne Bernadotte (widow of the Kings uncle Count Sigvard Bernadotte).[/QUOTE]

i only asked because three of the haga princesses broke the rules like their uncles did but still they had access to the foundation unlike the wife's and daughters of thier uncles .[/QUOTE]
Oops the right princess but the wrong name ?

Back
Top Bottom