Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimebear

Royal Highness
City
Somewhere Street
Country
United States
Just wondered if everyone knew about this exhibit. The preview looks very yummy. I plan on going in December if anyone wants info on it while it is happening.:flowers:

ING Arts - General Presentation

{inappropriate contesnt deleted - Elspeth} Some of these contraptions are simply out of this world. That emerald thingie of Catherine II is something to behold as is so much of the rest of this. Some of the pieces I do not care for, as is to be expected, but as in all these cases there is good natured disagreement about minor points and spasms of delight about the great part of it. Prostrations and Praise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read completely through this thread. If this link has already been posted, I apologize.

The Lady - England's Oldest Weekly Magazine for Women. The article is titled "Crowing Glories":

attachment.php
This is an emerald and diamond diadem from c 1820.

The Courtly Lives - Russian/Orthodox Crown Jewels

In auction: dazzling royal jewels

World's Most Dazzling Royal Jewels - Forbes.com

Last month, important pieces once owned by royalty were auctioned at the Beau-Rivage Hotel in Geneva. The event, called "Magnificent Jewels, Noble Jewels and Jewels from the Collection of Lily Marinho", fetched a total of 60 million Swiss francs ($57.1 million).

The auction featured an enamel and diamond cocktail watch by Cartier, a diamond devant de corsage and a pink topaz and diamond bracelet that once belonged to Henriette de L'Espine, S.A.S. la Princesse Louis de Croÿ.

But perhaps the most important piece of the Sotheby's auction was a sapphire pendant set with diamonds that was formerly in the collection of the Duchess of Windsor.

Pictures:
In Pictures: World's Most Dazzling Royal Jewels - Forbes.com

Video:
Forbes.com Video Network

The Lily Marinho collection featured a couple really beautiful tiaras IMO.

OMG! That sapphire pendant is truly breathtaking. I am drooling, literally, I am having one of those "Thomas Parkham" moments.
The pearl and diamond tiara is lovely: In Pictures: World's Most Dazzling Royal Jewels - Forbes.com

THe diamond encrusted tiara, holding a stunning riviere of diamonds is beautiful: In Pictures: World's Most Dazzling Royal Jewels - Forbes.com

The video is worth watching because it shows a beatifully crafted diamond tiara not in the slideshow.

THat sapphire takes my breath away.

Oh my God. Never have I wished to have $60 million so much..

Rare Jewels on display in the V&A, London

Here is a link to a BBC site which includes a short but very interesting video of some of the fabulous jewels on display at the re-vamped V&A in London.
It's well worth a look!

Some of the Victoria and Albert Museum's 3,500 rare and precious jewels are on display in a new gallery.
Curator Richard Edgcumbe tells the story of some of the most dazzling diamonds in the world.

Link courtesy of Octavius at RJOTWMB

Warren, a wonderful link. THe pieces displayed were so beautiful--and that RING DISPLAY! I pause the video just to look at it. Stunning, stunning, stunning.

Oh Warren, you really know how to make my day, the video was great. A many thanks!

That's rather a small crown, isn't it, more like Queen Victoria's tiny crown than a tiara?

Tiaras you must see

Go to www.albionart.com/eng/muse/special2/index.html. All kinds of different tiaras from about the last 200 years, including a Spencer tiara, worn by Raine, that I had never seen before. There's something for everyone (and no one) there, including more winged tiaras like the one Princess Astrid favors in Norway, aigrettes, tiaras that resemble the Delhi Durbar and others.

Thomas Parkman, where are you??

I am not one to wear such heavy ornate jewelry so I will only have the Garland Tiara, the Greek Wave Tiara and One Kokoshnik please.........:wub:

I think I'd pass on the pecan tiara! There's a Chanel tiara too, which IMO is pretty hideous.

Since my birthday is coming up and my birthstone is peridot, an appropriate tiara for me would be the Archduchess Isabella peridot. I don't usually like peridots, but these are lovely and look large. I bet Camilla would look good in a similar tiara.

Last edited:
Go to www.albionart.com/eng/muse/special2/index.html. All kinds of different tiaras from about the last 200 years, including a Spencer tiara, worn by Raine, that I had never seen before. There's something for everyone (and no one) there, including more winged tiaras like the one Princess Astrid favors in Norway, aigrettes, tiaras that resemble the Delhi Durbar and others.

Thomas Parkman, where are you??

Which Spencer tiara did Raine wear?

The Countess Spencer Tiara

Here's the link to the Albion Art Museum Tiara Exhibition page for this Spencer tiara.​

c 1890. Gold, silver, diamonds and pearls​

"The charm of this example comes from the orient or iridescent sheen of the beautifully matched set of domed button pearls, combined with the glitter of the diamonds. Used together like this the diamond and the pearl bring out the best of each other’s qualities. Being all-white the tiara had the added advantage that it could be worn with dresses of all colours and shone out under the blaze of electric light."​

Re: Possible Tiara exhibition -Copenhagen in March 2009.

Hiya Everyone,

I had read info from two other message boards ( Royal Jewels of the World and second message board) that according to Antik & Auktion January issue that there might be an exhibition of Tiaras from various jewellers and possible royal jewels from the DRF to held in March at Amalienborg palace museum in Copenhagen.

Has anyone heard about this possible upcoming exhibition?

I have tried to find more information about it but, alas haven't found any more information on it.

Does anyone know when upcoming exhibitions are announced by the Danish Royal family museums?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank you,
Emeralds and Opals.

Exhibition in Copenhagen: Tiaras

Amalienborg Palace museum,
from March 14th to Aug. 2nd:

Tiaras: Queen of jewellery- jewellery of queens.

Queen Margrethe and other ladies from the DRF are lending some of their tiaras to the exhibition, which is about the history of the tiara through the past 150 years and especially, how the tiara is perceived today.
Fifteen Danish jewellers are contributing with new interpretations of the tiara.

According to press releases the infamous "poppy" hairpiece of Queen Margrethe is on display as is a floral motif tiara of Princess Benedikte, the sapphire and diamond tiara of Princess Elizabeth and the kokoshnik-style fringe tiara with Russian IF provenance belonging to Count Ingolf of Rosenborg.

Billed-Bladet posted a picture galery with excellent pics from the exibition here: Billed-Bladet - Margrethe og de smukke diademer
There is the golden poppies piece and also the orange-nassau pearl tiara Queen Margrethe often wears.
Can anybody please identify the tiaras of Princess Benedikte and Princess Elizabeth? I am not quite sure, although one might guess. Most tiaras in the exibition are clearly contemporary and some are so downright ugly that the poppy piece looks wonderful in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody please identify the tiaras of Princess Benedikte and Princess Elizabeth? I am not quite sure, although one might guess. Most tiaras in the exibition are clearly contemporary and some are so downright ugly that the poppy piece looks wonderful in comparison.

The tiara of Princess Benedikte is the floral motif diamond tiara with a small emerald (??) in the centrepiece. It was a gift for her 18th birthday from her parents, and it can be split into three brooches.

Princess Elisabeth owns the diamond & sapphire tiara; the latter can be swapped for turquoises.

Viv

Isn't princess Benedikte's tiara made from a big devant corsage of Queen Ingrid that was broken up? This is the first time I see a emerald in the tiara though, it looks nice. Usually the princess uses a diamond or a pearl.

Isn't princess Benedikte's tiara made from a big devant corsage of Queen Ingrid that was broken up? This is the first time I see a emerald in the tiara though, it looks nice. Usually the princess uses a diamond or a pearl.

Yes it is a brooch from Queen Ingrid and 2 other brooches where added on the sides. The tiara can be broken up and the middle part worn as brooch. Princess Beneditke wore it like this recently (sorry can not remember which Event). And the stone in the middle brooch can be changed.

I don't want to upset you guys, who seem to know a lot more about royal jewellery than I:flowers:. However I suspect that you are confusing the tiaras of Princess Benedikte and Princess Anne-Marie! According to Bjarne Steen Jensen's book on the jewellery of the DRF:

The centrepiece (brooch) of Pcs. Benedikte's floral motif tiara is an heirloom from Queen Alexandrine. The "sides" were made in to match, making it one of the "Lego- tiaras". The original brooch was apparently never worn by Queen Ingrid, but BSJ cannot trace the entire story of the piece with certainty.

The corsage mentioned by Marengo was made into a tiara for Princess Anne-Marie as a gift for her 18th birthday. It once belonged to Queen Ingrid and has Swedish-German provenance through Queen Victoria of Sweden, again most likely, as BSJ has not been provided with all the details. The Corsage was added to a crown ring without any additions.

Viv

Back
Top Bottom