Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe so. According to Elizabeth Taylor's book "My love affair with jewelry" Wallis explained that this had been "overlooked" when all the royal jewels were returned after the abdication.

:previous: Interesting that there wasn't an inventory of the jewels in the Duke of Windsor's possession that this piece got overlooked, but perhaps no record was ever kept. And I suppose in the shock of the situation and with such fast-moving events, anything could have been easily overlooked once the couple moved abroad.:whistling:

I don't believe so. According to Elizabeth Taylor's book "My love affair with jewelry" Wallis explained that this had been "overlooked" when all the royal jewels were returned after the abdication.

I thought the comment referred to when Louis Mountbatten came after The Duke of Windsor had passed away, and he came to collect any jewels that belonged to the family that the Duke still had in his possession.

Well, the statement does say after the abdication, not after the Duke of Windsor's death, so I'd expect any jewels belonging to the royal family would have been returned much earlier.

I thought the Duke had the brooch made after the abdication.
I believe you are right, this was made for the Duchess but since it represented royalty the Duchess thought they would take it back, but they didn't. I read this in another book, I can't remember which.

I called Christies and the books will be available to order in a couple of weeks.$300 for all 5 books, and $150 for just jewelry (2 books) Its very expensive but I'm still going to splurge, it took me years to track down the Duchess of Windsor sale book. Although that was before internet!:flowers:

:previous: I didn't know the brooch was made for Wallis and was not part of the royal collection. It then begs the question why Charles would bid on it, if that's his intention. Would anyone wear it given its provenance? Unless he'd just want it because it does represent British royalty and also to bring it into the family because the Duke of Windsor commissioned it. Perhaps there's no intention of giving it to Camilla or eventually Kate, but would just reside in the royal vaults. This will be interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder whether we will ever learn who purchased these pieces?
Probably not, at least until they are worn.

( I tried looking up who bought the Portland Tiara, but couldn't find anything).

:previous: Oh, yes, that magnificent Portland tiara that many were wishing would be purchased for Kate as a wedding gift! Maybe it was, and it's being kept under tight wraps until some time in the future when we see it adorn Kate's head; wouldn't that be a lovely revelation? It would be nice to know who did purchase it.

Thanks for the link; I have never seen ET in a tiara before so that was a sight to see. I wonder if that was an historically important one. And La Peregrina is so fascinating; I've seen photos of that portrait of Mary wearing it and the pearl's provenance is unbelievable. I believe, though, that Elizabeth purchased the pearl, not Mary's necklace, and had it reset in a necklace designed by Cartier, according to the article. Amazing that Elizabeth's jewel collection could rival the royal houses.

Thanks for the link; I have never seen ET in a tiara before so that was a sight to see. I wonder if that was an historically important one. And La Peregrina is so fascinating; I've seen photos of that portrait of Mary wearing it and the pearl's provenance is unbelievable. I believe, though, that Elizabeth purchased the pearl, not Mary's necklace, and had it reset in a necklace designed by Cartier, according to the article. Amazing that Elizabeth's jewel collection could rival the royal houses.

Yes, she and her husbands spent a fortune on her jewels; she was supposedly very knowledgeable.

La Peregrina has been worn by so many Spanish queens, it will be a pity if the Royal Family can never recover it, though in the current economic clime, it seems unlikely. (Aren't you surprised it was returned after Mary's death? I wouldn't think Elizabeth I the type to ever let go of it! :ROFLMAO:)

:previous: Yes, Elizabeth I did love her pearls. I understand that either she or one of her courtiers who gave it to her (maybe Robert, Earl of Leicester) purchased Mary, Queen of Scots', long black pearl necklace. And the mystery of why La Peregrina didn't come into Elizabeth's possession? Who knows - that's why the wandering pearl had its name. :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere that one day Liz Taylor's dog was chewing something then she realized that the dog was chewing Mary I's pearl! But thankfully it was not damaged.

'Maharaja' exhibition

‘Maharaja’ Exhibit to Open at Asian Art Museum of San Francisco

The Asian Art Museum of San Francisco is set to reveal an extensive and lavish collection of Indian art from the evocative era of the maharajas. “Maharaja: The Splendour of India’s Royal Courts”, opening Oct. 21 and running through April 8, 2012, will present nearly 200 important artworks from the intriguing world of India's rulers over three centuries.

The collection was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and makes its U.S. premiere at this exhibition.

The exhibition will feature a throne room in its ceremonial splendor; an array of ceremonial regalia, turban ornaments, swords, and other symbols of Indian royalty; and many rare paintings in watercolors and gold.
image not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Maharaja.gif
    Maharaja.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 378
The treasures of Dresden on show in Qatar

Gulf Times: Qatar's top-selling English daily newspaper - Qatar

'Dresden's Green Vault' exhibition opens at the Museum of Islamic Art, Doha, Qatar

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The temporary exhibition ‘The Dream of a King – Dresden’s Green Vault’ was opened yesterday evening at the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha by HE Sheikha Mayassa bint Hamad al-Thani, Chairperson of the Qatar Museums Authority[/FONT].

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Green Vault is one of the oldest museums in Europe. Between 1723 and 1730 Elector Augustus the Strong, the ruler of Saxony and also king of Poland, realised his vision of a Baroque synthesis of the arts as an expression of wealth and power. One of the most sumptuous treasure chambers in Europe, the Green Vault has enjoyed world renown ever since.

A magnificent treasure chamber, it is home to the world-famous ‘Dresden Green Diamond’ and a fabulous collection of precious objects, dating from the Renaissance through to the late Baroque period. Housed in the Residence Palace of Dresden, this storehouse of glittering treasures displays some of the most important works of European culture: masterpieces created by jewellers and goldsmiths as well as costly items made from amber and ivory, vessels made of semi-precious stones such as nephrite, and exquisite statuettes of silver and bronze.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Of the 3000 objects in the Green Vault, a choice selection of 68 of the very finest have come to Doha, representing the skills of silver and goldsmiths, workers in bronze, wood, enamel and ivory, and of course the jewellers who created glittering diamond-studded sword hilts, buckles and buttons, and decorated exquisite small figurines with row upon row of precious stones.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The exhibition will be open daily except Tuesdays until January 26, 2012. There is an admission charge of QR25 for adults, and entry is free for students and children under 16.
A lavishly illustrated catalogue of all the objects on display is on sale in the MIA gift shop.
[/FONT]

I read somewhere that one day Liz Taylor's dog was chewing something then she realized that the dog was chewing Mary I's pearl! But thankfully it was not damaged.

Well, that's what ET said!
But I've read that actually it did have a tooth mark in it, and was shaved down slightly, both to get rid of the mark and to place it in a more secure setting.

There don't seem to be many occasions to wear a tiara these days!

When may they be worn? Is it only at State Banquets or the Opening of Parliament?

There don't seem to be many occasions to wear a tiara these days!

When may they be worn? Is it only at State Banquets or the Opening of Parliament?

Depends of the Country. In the scandianavian Countries there are still some official dinners through the year where tiaras are worn. They also wear it for birthday and pre-Wedding balls for example. Unfortunately in all other reigning Houses they no use the black tie dress-code for this occasions. I think they should do it like it was done in Denmark for the 75th birthday of Prince Henrik and for Queen Margrethe 70th birthday at the Fredensborg Dinner. Have the dresscode as black tie but with tiara optional so that the ladies who own a tiara still can wear one.

Does anyone plan to go to the Christie's auction of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels?

I would (I am often in NYC) but I don't think they'd let me in the door- I can't even afford the catalog! LOL!

Does anyone plan to go to the Christie's auction of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels?

I would (I am often in NYC) but I don't think they'd let me in the door- I can't even afford the catalog! LOL!

I will - vicariously!! :ROFLMAO:

If it wasn´t in NY, I would go and look at Elizabeth Taylor´s jewels,she had such an amazing collection!Christie´s webpages offers exhibitions where they show the pieces & let potential customers take a closer look at it. Special Events | Charity Auctions, Exhibitions, Lectures, Wine Tastings | Christie's ->New York Christie's, 20 Rockefeller Plaza (it´s still open till 12 December,you have to buy tickets in advance:Admission: $30 plus sales tax )

Last edited:
If it wasn´t in NY, I would go and look at Elizabeth Taylor´s jewels,she had such an amazing collection!Christie´s webpages offers exhibitions where they show the pieces & let potential customers take a closer look at it. Special Events | Charity Auctions, Exhibitions, Lectures, Wine Tastings | Christie's ->New York Christie's, 20 Rockefeller Plaza (it´s still open till 12 December,you have to buy tickets in advance:Admission: $30 plus sales tax )

I walked past Christie's yesterday, but didn't go in. (It was wall-to-wall in the street with throngs gathering to gaze at the tree, so I couldn't really move closer. Still, the windows have giant pictures of the jewels (also of ET wearing many of them).
La Peregrina was prominent.

I wonder if we'll ever hear who the purchasers are?
I kind of doubt it, since I heard someone comment: It's hard to believe, in times like these, that some people will drop three or four million to buy a ruby!

Well, there will always be the haves and have-nots, and if you've got the $$$, why not?
But if that is the feeling, I can understand if the buyers decide to keep a low profile.

I doubt we´ll know who finally gets the pieces,most buyers want to remain unknown.
Just because the situation of the economy is though doesn´t mean that rich ppl don´t buy.On the contrary,most auction houses still make good profits and sell many expensive items.The ultra-rich people will always have money,so I expect all of Elizabeth´s jewels to be sold at a high price.
The peregrina is one of my favourite jewels from ET´s collection,I would probably never wear it but if I had too much money I would think about purchasing it as an investment;-)

I think you are right, the jewels will sell far above the estimated prices, just as the Duchess of Windsor's did.

Still, I hope we learn who buys La Peregrina, at least.

I wonder if we'll ever hear who the purchasers are?
I kind of doubt it, since I heard someone comment: It's hard to believe, in times like these, that some people will drop three or four million to buy a ruby!

Well, there will always be the haves and have-nots, and if you've got the $$$, why not?
But if that is the feeling, I can understand if the buyers decide to keep a low profile.

Did you hear about the anonymous bidder at a Texas auction who paid over $200,000 for a Hermes Birkin handbag? I can well imagine why they'd remain incognito for dropping that amount of money on a handbag, but they must figure if they have the money then they'll spend it on what they will. I'm sure the same principle will apply to the Taylor jewel auction.

But I'd love to know who gets La Peregrina!

Prince of Wales Brooch

Vanity Fair is showing the POW Brooch as "sold." Has anything been reported in the UK about this? Wonder if the royal family bought it prior to the auction, which isn't until Dec 13 (tomorrow). Photos: Highlights from Elizabeth Taylor See

La Peregrina realized $11, 842, 500.

Back
Top Bottom