The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

Sotheby's to Offer Exquisite Fine Arts with Links to Europe's Most Important Aristocr

Sotheby's to Offer Exquisite Fine Arts with Links to Europe's Most Important Aristocratic Families

Sotheby's to Offer Exquisite Fine Arts with Links to Europe's Most Important Aristocratic Families

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salma View Post
More Portland jewels- Christie´s jewelery Auction
Jewels * Pearls * Tiara * Stomacher brooch
WOW!! I hope that they find a good home and not broken up

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Princess Grace's tiara & other pieces by Van Cleef on display at the Smithsonian National Design Museum
Details

(Well Charlene won't be wearing this particular tiara at her wedding as the exhibition runs until June! -but reading the article carefully I think the tiara was on loan)
I just saw this exhibit the other day and it was spectacular. I recommend to anyone who's interested in jewels period; not just Princess Grace's collection, go see some of the magnificent jewels on display for the exhibition. The exhibit has been extended to July 4th so there's time to see the gorgeous tiara as well as the engagement set given to Grace by Rainier in honor of their wedding several lovely pieces. I must say Prince Albert, Princess Caroline & Princess Stephanie were general in the jewels they've allowed Van Cleef & Arpels to exhibit.

Set in Style: The Jewelry of Van Cleef & Arpels | Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum

The exhibit also featured some jewels from a few of royal ladies, such as the Dutchess of Windsor etc. It's worth the $15 if you're in the NY area.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Aristocracy

World Record auction for this Tiara...

I don't know if this has already been posted or not...

Tiara fetches world record $12.76 million | Reuters

Now If only I had 12.76 million dollars to spend.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Courtier

I can't say that I really like it, though.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Courtier

I've been following this emerald tiara saga for the past month, and am frankly astounded that it reached such a figure! Seriously, like SLV, I too have never really liked it, nor found it all that attractive, especially in comparison to some really beautiful ones out there.

That said, I wonder whom the mystery buyer is? I was thinking it actually may look lovely on top of Charlene Wittstock's wedding head, especially in light of her breathtaking emerald green eyes:

http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com...VsnGyobuAl.jpg
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Gentry

It's interesting but not a favorite. First thought is that the emeralds look like lollipops!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

I think in the auction world it's become all about setting the "record" for whatever item is up for auction. And just because the go-between was from North America doesn't mean the buyer is.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Courtier

Lol, the comparision to lollipops is hilarious, but true!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Donnersmarck Tiara

From Whitetiger's link...

The diamond and emerald tiara, which German prince Guido Henckel von Donnersmarck's commissioned for his second wife Katharina around 1900, was estimated to fetch $5 million-$10 million. It sold for US$12.76m.
The winning bid was taken over the telephone by Lisa Hubbard, chairwoman of Sotheby's jewelry department in North America - a hint as to the location of the new owner.

Donnersmarck Tiara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Donnersmarck Emerald Tiara sold US$12.76m May11.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	277430  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM

The fabled "Wittelsbach Blue" diamond is back in the news. The following quote comes from the Rapaport Insider a little over a month ago:

"There is a chance the Wittelsbach diamond may have another go at the record books. Graff, who also purchased that $46 million pink diamond (mentioned above), had the Wittelsbach recut down to 31.06-carat to improve its color, clarity and symmetry. He sent it back to GIA for grading nearly a year after he purchased it. The diamond, renamed the Wittelsbach-Graff, is now graded fancy deep blue and the clarity was improved to internally flawless. It is unlikely that Graff will sell the famed diamond at auction, preferring instead to meet his clients in the privacy of his New Bond Street salon."
Pictures of the magnificent stone are at this link:
The Wittelsbach Diamond

In 2008 there were rumors that the Royal Family would bring the stone back home. With the resurfacing of this gem in the news it may be the precursor to more speculation.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this as the exhibition will cover more than jewels, but the forthcoming summer exhibition at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco looks pretty mouth watering - will also post in the Monaco forum

Magnificence & Grandeur of the Grand Houses of Europe
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

"Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration" - Buckingham Palace, 2012

As part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations next year Buckingham Palace will host an exhibit titled 'Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration'. The exhibit will include many personal items of jewellery owned by the Queen and will be held in August and September 2012.

Full story with illustrations from Forbes magazine:
Royal Diamond Exhibit to Mark Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee - Anthony DeMarco - Baubleicious - Forbes

The Royal Collection link:
The Royal Collection - Royal Collection exhibitions across the UK will celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012 [scroll down]

quote:
A spectacular exhibition at Buckingham Palace will show the many ways in which diamonds have been used by British monarchs over the last 200 years. The exhibition includes an unprecedented display of a number of The Queen’s personal jewels – those inherited by Her Majesty or acquired during her reign. The exhibition will reveal how many of these extraordinary stones have undergone a number of transformations, having been re-cut or incorporated into new settings during their fascinating history.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Fabergé Exhibition at Buckingham Palace

Fabergé collection of the Royals goes on display in Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

This stunning collection of intricate works of art by Russian jeweller and goldsmith Peter Carl Fabergé is what the Royal family has amassed over more than a century. The works were unveiled - some of them publicly for the first time - as part of an exhibition at Buckingham Palace's summer opening.

The Royal Fabergé collection includes more than 100 items from the celebrated artist who was first collected by Queen Victoria in the late 19th century. Since then, six generations of Royals including Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Charles have been fascinated by the priceless baubles.

Royal Fabergé is part of a visit to the Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, 23 July – 3 October 2011.

1. Fabergé Basket of Flowers egg
2. Fabergé miniature teapot (part of a miniature tea set)

The two thumbnails below are heavily-cropped portions of much larger images and not subject to copyright...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fabergé Basket of Flowers egg.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	278160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fabergé miniature teapot.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	278161  
Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Dailymotion - Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels to Be Sold - a News & Politics video

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sli...ction-14467596

Elizabeth Taylor's jewels will go on a 3 month tour prior to their auction in December. She owned several pieces that had royal provenance.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth Taylor's fabulous jewel collection is going to be sold at auction; among them is the beautiful La Peregrina pearl that once belonged to Mary Tudor. Perhaps the BRF could buy it back? Kate would look lovely in something like that!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Courtier

I will also be curious if Charles decides to buy the POW diamond feather brooch. It was originally the Duchess of Windsor's and Elizabeth Taylor was friends with the Duchess and felt she was meant to have it. IIRC there was a bidding war at auction, and rumor was the Charles was trying to buy for Diana, but ET won out. I had hoped that ET would have bequeathed the brooch to William as a wedding present to get the brooch into the BRF (she was ill at the time of his engagement).
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

HOnestly, if Prince Charles finally got his hands in the brooch, I think he would end up giving it to Camilla... atleast until down the road when he is King and William is made Prince of Wales...

Though it would look good on Catherine I think
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Courtier

I would love all of the above to happen, I just think if it does happen that we should all be prepared for the usual suspects complaining and saying that the times are not appropriate for such expenditures, and then there will be those who accuse the BRF of using "their" tax dollars to buy such things ..... blah, blah, blah. We've heard it all before. I just wish Charles or "whoever" just says something the effect that they have been saving their own personal pennies for a very long time to buy something very very nice. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I hope Charles does purchase the POW brooch; I mean, who would wear it, other than a member of the royal family? (I know ET did, yet I think most people would feel silly in something like that; it's so symbolic).

Tags
auction, cullinan diamond necklace, exhibition, jewellery