Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fabled "Wittelsbach Blue" diamond is back in the news. The following quote comes from the Rapaport Insider a little over a month ago:

"There is a chance the Wittelsbach diamond may have another go at the record books. Graff, who also purchased that $46 million pink diamond (mentioned above), had the Wittelsbach recut down to 31.06-carat to improve its color, clarity and symmetry. He sent it back to GIA for grading nearly a year after he purchased it. The diamond, renamed the Wittelsbach-Graff, is now graded fancy deep blue and the clarity was improved to internally flawless. It is unlikely that Graff will sell the famed diamond at auction, preferring instead to meet his clients in the privacy of his New Bond Street salon."
Pictures of the magnificent stone are at this link:
The Wittelsbach Diamond

In 2008 there were rumors that the Royal Family would bring the stone back home. With the resurfacing of this gem in the news it may be the precursor to more speculation.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this as the exhibition will cover more than jewels, but the forthcoming summer exhibition at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco looks pretty mouth watering - will also post in the Monaco forum

Magnificence & Grandeur of the Grand Houses of Europe

"Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration" - Buckingham Palace, 2012

As part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations next year Buckingham Palace will host an exhibit titled 'Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration'. The exhibit will include many personal items of jewellery owned by the Queen and will be held in August and September 2012.

Full story with illustrations from Forbes magazine:
Royal Diamond Exhibit to Mark Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee - Anthony DeMarco - Baubleicious - Forbes

The Royal Collection link:
The Royal Collection - Royal Collection exhibitions across the UK will celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012 [scroll down]

quote:
A spectacular exhibition at Buckingham Palace will show the many ways in which diamonds have been used by British monarchs over the last 200 years. The exhibition includes an unprecedented display of a number of The Queen’s personal jewels – those inherited by Her Majesty or acquired during her reign. The exhibition will reveal how many of these extraordinary stones have undergone a number of transformations, having been re-cut or incorporated into new settings during their fascinating history.

Fabergé Exhibition at Buckingham Palace

Fabergé collection of the Royals goes on display in Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

This stunning collection of intricate works of art by Russian jeweller and goldsmith Peter Carl Fabergé is what the Royal family has amassed over more than a century. The works were unveiled - some of them publicly for the first time - as part of an exhibition at Buckingham Palace's summer opening.

The Royal Fabergé collection includes more than 100 items from the celebrated artist who was first collected by Queen Victoria in the late 19th century. Since then, six generations of Royals including Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Charles have been fascinated by the priceless baubles.

Royal Fabergé is part of a visit to the Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, 23 July – 3 October 2011.

1. Fabergé Basket of Flowers egg
2. Fabergé miniature teapot (part of a miniature tea set)

The two thumbnails below are heavily-cropped portions of much larger images and not subject to copyright...

Attachments

• Fabergé Basket of Flowers egg.jpg
    Fabergé Basket of Flowers egg.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Fabergé miniature teapot.jpg
    Fabergé miniature teapot.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,024
Last edited:
Elizabeth Taylor's fabulous jewel collection is going to be sold at auction; among them is the beautiful La Peregrina pearl that once belonged to Mary Tudor. Perhaps the BRF could buy it back? Kate would look lovely in something like that!

I will also be curious if Charles decides to buy the POW diamond feather brooch. It was originally the Duchess of Windsor's and Elizabeth Taylor was friends with the Duchess and felt she was meant to have it. IIRC there was a bidding war at auction, and rumor was the Charles was trying to buy for Diana, but ET won out. I had hoped that ET would have bequeathed the brooch to William as a wedding present to get the brooch into the BRF (she was ill at the time of his engagement).

Last edited by a moderator:
HOnestly, if Prince Charles finally got his hands in the brooch, I think he would end up giving it to Camilla... atleast until down the road when he is King and William is made Prince of Wales...

Though it would look good on Catherine I think ;)

I would love all of the above to happen, I just think if it does happen that we should all be prepared for the usual suspects complaining and saying that the times are not appropriate for such expenditures, and then there will be those who accuse the BRF of using "their" tax dollars to buy such things ..... blah, blah, blah. We've heard it all before. I just wish Charles or "whoever" just says something the effect that they have been saving their own personal pennies for a very long time to buy something very very nice. :)

Well, I hope Charles does purchase the POW brooch; I mean, who would wear it, other than a member of the royal family? (I know ET did, yet I think most people would feel silly in something like that; it's so symbolic).

:previous:I agree, but there are a lot of wealthy, silly people. I would imagine that just having it and wearing it would be a "feather in the cap" of some of those people. :D

Of course, if Charles could purchase the brooch, it would go to Camilla. She is, after all, the legitimate Princess of Wales.

I hate to go against the wnd, and actually hope the BRF do not buy it. Lovely as the brooch is, do they really want a brooch associated with Wallis, somebody who the BRF did not necessarily hold in the highest esteem? If ET had bequethed the brooch to the BRF, it would be an entirely different matter, IMO.

:previous:I agree, but there are a lot of wealthy, silly people. I would imagine that just having it and wearing it would be a "feather in the cap" of some of those people. :D

Lol nice one.

I would be surprised if he did'nt atleast bid... i

If Camilla wore it, it's be like opening the proverbial can of worms comparing Camilla to Wallis. I don't think the BRF want that. They think people are warming up to the idea of Queen Camilla.

If Catherine wore it, then I think it would be comparisons to Kate to the beauty, etc of Elizabeth Taylor.

When Richard Burton bought La Peregrina as a Valentine's Day gift for Taylor in 1969, it's said he won out by outbidding the Spanish Royal Family. Perhaps this time they will get it back, and it will end up with Letizia?

I can't imagine Charles "openly"buying the brooch for Camilla or as a gift in store for Catherine- not least because in the current economic climate it would draw unnecessary attention to the private wealth of the Royal Family. However, I don't think it is impossible to imagine it being presented as a gift by a "friend" outside the family.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree - that would be a very amenable solution/spin.

A Ghost buyer is how he would probably go. I think that he is the type of guy that just buying it, owning it, would make him happy. It could be years till Camilla is seen with it on... or even when William takes his place as Prince of Wales that Catherine wears it.

Bottom line is that Elizabeth Taylor bought it for 365k...With Prince Charles barely looseing out on it.

How could he not go for it again?

I doubt any of the Royal Family would openly bid for an item in auction; I would imagine they've acquired their pieces anonymously through representatives. I heard that Charles obtained various pieces for Camilla through auction. I can't imagine the POW brooch being passed up by Charles, but you never know - he might just take a pass on it. :ermm:

Last edited:
He might; but considering how hard he fought to get it last time, I think he will send his representative to bid at least.

What does this brooch look like? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Wow. That's one big piece of jewelry. I'm thinking that perhaps to avoid any sort of controversy that may arise due to this brooch it may be better to put it into the vaults or on display somewhere. However, it would be lovely to see it back with the Windsors.

The only thing I don't like about the brooch is the yellow gold coronet part.... But then, I don't like Yellow gold period.

It is a beautiful brooch. I'm sure they could have the coronet part rodium treated ;p

I honestly can't see Prince Charles not getting his hands on that brooch.

I'm hoping that the Windsors reacquire the POW brooch too. It would be nice symbolic way of saying they've finally reached a peace, have closure, with the past.

This is going to be so exciting RubyPrincess, thanks for the links. I will be buying my catalog as soon as their available!

I hate to go against the wnd, and actually hope the BRF do not buy it. Lovely as the brooch is, do they really want a brooch associated with Wallis, somebody who the BRF did not necessarily hold in the highest esteem? If ET had bequethed the brooch to the BRF, it would be an entirely different matter, IMO.

I think it should have been returned to the BRF after the abdication, or at least after Wallis' death. After all, it was associated with the POW. It seems wrong to me that anyone else should own it.

I think it should have been returned to the BRF after the abdication, or at least after Wallis' death. After all, it was associated with the POW. It seems wrong to me that anyone else should own it.
I totally agree with you. It's a piece of jewellery associated with the Prince of Wales. In my opinion any person who's not prince or princess of Wales would be ridiculous with that brooch (so I think Wallis and Liz Taylor were ridiculous too).

I thought the Duke had the brooch made after the abdication.

Back
Top Bottom