The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Courtier

Back home now & I think I'm all dazzled out!
Surprisingly, due to the Olympics - including the Ladies Marathon going past the Palace! - London was much quieter than usual, because the "general tourists" were staying away. There was no queue and we were allowed to go in when we arrived without waiting for our allotted time-slot.

The usual room was set up for the diamonds, which, like the Fabergé one was dimmed to almost total darkness, with the cabinets lit to make the diamonds really sparkle. Set out "sideways" so that people could walk along both sides and get the same view from either side. We went both sides so that we didn't miss anything!

The stones were breathtaking of course and I loved them all! So what did I like seeing best? I have to say "Granny's Chips" (Cullinan 3 & 4) just hypnotizes me every time . To see such huge stones is the most amazing feeling. The (literal) depth from front to back on them is astonishing - not usually able to see it sideways when it's in the usual cabinet at the the Queen's Gallery. Even though some of the Greville stones look large from the front, they are so much flatter and thinner than the really superb Cullinan stones that you realise the superlative quality of those very special items - even the smaller (ha ha!!) ones.
Bought the Jubilee book and the small Diamonds one just about the exhibition - lovely to add to the collection.
All followed by coffee and cake on the terrace of course... ;-)
Any questions...?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Majesty

Wow! That does sound impressive. Thank you for sharing your impressions, and it's great that you were able to get in earlier than expected, and didn't have to deal with the queues.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions of the visit, GillW.
I was wondering, where there any new jewels (ones you had never seen before) you saw? Or just any pieces that aren't usually exhibited?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Courtier

There was no jewellery that was unfamiliar from photographs, because of course they were some of the most impressive pieces which have all been worn over the years - but amazing (I'm running out of superlatives!) to be with in inches of them. The tiaras were especially lovely as I enjoy seeing all the mechanisms on them too. Hooks that hold elements together, clips to keep the comfort frame attached, screws to hold on attachments - fascinating! Even the Russian fringe, which I never realised has a "thread" half way up around the back, to hold all the bars firmly together - in my opinion this is what keeps it in tight shape, instead of "splayed" as it was in former years. Looks as if it can be adjusted to open or tighten the spacing between the bars, evenly and to the taste of the wearer.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thanks for sharing the details, GillW. I now really want to see those stunner up and close myself. Pity a trip to London isn't planned in near future.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Gentry

I can't add much to Gillw's description of the exhibition, except to say that I feel so privileged to have attended also! Just a few days ago in fact. To say that I was dumbstruck is putting it mildly. Gill describes the room and route very well! I must mention the snuff box of Frederick the Great of Prussia - photographs come nowhere near displaying its mind-boggling dazzle! It is so encrusted with diamonds, (3,000) that the green bloodstone is almost completely obscured. The rose and brilliant-cut diamonds are arranged as flowers, insects,foliage, ribbons and musical trophies. Even the base of the box is lavishly encrusted with diamonds. The sparkle and glitter was astounding. The Delhi Durbar tiara suprised me, in photo's I find it rather heavy looking, but in reality it looks so delicate, with all the diamonds a-dangle and a-glitter. Now one of my favourite tiaras! (I do hope that I'm not boring you all!) I must describe the Coronation necklace, but like Gill,I am running out of superlatives and adjectives! The necklace consists of 25 cushion-cut brilliants, and the suspended Lahore diamond. It just sits there in its display case, and flashes with coloured sparks of rainbows...exceedingly beautiful!
Also stunning, (well, everything was,) but the tassel, or waterfall brooch of Queen Victoria I found just lovely! The fringes on it must swing slightly as the wearer moves. I think that should I ever meet the Queen, I would be considered rude, as I would just be staring at her jewels!
If anyone wishes to see the exhibition, they need to hurry, as it closes next month, and will not be repeated next year...not unless we all write to the palace and plead!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Mid-19th Century Diamond Tiara
Formerly in the collection of the 1st Marchioness Conyngham

link: Christies

"Composed of a series of nine old-cut diamond graduating flowerhead clusters centred by old-cut pear and cushion shape diamond collet highlights, the central principal very light pink diamond weighing approximately 6.17 carats, interspersed by ten similarly-set stylised cusp motifs of ribbon scroll design, raised on an undulating diamond line frame, mounted in silver and gold, circa 1850, each flowerhead cluster detachable to form a brooch."

Estimate £200,000 - £250,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	287291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s 2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	287292  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A month-old news but the diamond is too stunning not to warrant a mention.

The Archduke Joseph Diamond Fetched A World Record Price For A Colourless Diamond At Us $21.4m
Quote:
The huge and famous Archduke Joseph Diamond, an internally flawless diamond from India's fabled Golconda mines was sold at auction in Geneva on Tuesday night for a record US$ 21.4m. While the buyer requested to remain anonymous, it was revealed that Fred Mouawad offered the last bid before the buyer secured the flawless Golconda diamond on Tuesday night at an auction in Geneva, Switzerland. The rare, colorless stone—weighing 76.02 carats and roughly the size of a large strawberry—once belonged to Archduke Joseph August of Austria (1872-1962), a prince of the Hungarian line of the Habsburgs.
Image from my Christie's catalogue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-20__13-35-25Image1.GIF
Views:	50
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	287460  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Especially given its record sale price of US$ 21.4m
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the Marchioness' tiara; what gorgeous clusters. I can see that easily converted to a necklace as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Amazing!!!! Very beautiful.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Nobility

I am sure, the video from the Queens diamond exhibition has been posted before, but I looked at it today, and found it really amazing:

Enjoy
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Administrator

A Treat for Jewellery Voyeurs...

A Christie's eCatalogue
Auction date 15 May 2013

Includes jewellery from the Portuguese Royal House, the Visconti, the late Duchess of Genova [Genoa, of the House of Savoy], and the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain and her Torlonia descendants including the Prince of Civitella-Cesi.

> Click the 'Notice to Bidders' box
> Click on 'View eCatalogue'
> Set aside an hour or two while you turn the pages electronically and admire the contents.

Well worth an eVisit!

http://www.christies.com/eCatalogues/index.aspx?saleid=24329
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Courtier

A spectre of the Poltimore tiara

Please click and scroll down to the bottom of the link:
Daily Mail: Royal fashion rules from the Fifties to the Nineties: How the Queen, Margaret and Diana’s style changed over four decades

Dear fellow tiara nerds!
Take a look at the shelf above Pcs. Margaret's dress:
Am I seeing the real Poltimore tiara or a replica? Or is it a photo/dias/hologram of the Poltimore?
I thought it was sold some years ago when parts of her estate was aucioned off!
Next question: Why bother exhibiting a tiara not belonging to her family any more? Or does it?

viv
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Aristocracy

i'm pretty sure that this is not the poltimore tiara. it looks different.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry View Post
i'm pretty sure that this is not the poltimore tiara. it looks different.
It certainly does look like the Poltimore tiara, but it seems to be assembled as a circlet, whereas I don't recall the Poltimore being so. I may be wrong!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

It looks like it to me, but I assume its a copy.

It looks very strange with a cocktail dress.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
It certainly does look like the Poltimore tiara, but it seems to be assembled as a circlet, whereas I don't recall the Poltimore being so. I may be wrong!
I read somewhere on one of the tiara sites that the Poltimore can be changed into a circlet! There's also a description on the Christie's website from the auction some years ago!
I understand the Poltimore is very versatile; it's a classical example of a jewellers piece of Lego, it can be broken up - or down? - into various sizes of brooches, it can be worn as a necklace and as mentioned, it can be changed into a circlet! And there's possibly other formats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It looks like it to me, but I assume its a copy.

It looks very strange with a cocktail dress.
Agree, but why would Kensington Palace display a copy of the Poltimore? Because it was Pcs. Margaret's signature tiara? I could understand if they displayed a replica of one of the family tiaras she used to wear, if they chose to keep the real thing under lock and key.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
A Christie's eCatalogue
Auction date 15 May 2013

Includes jewellery from the Portuguese Royal House, the Visconti, the late Duchess of Genova [Genoa, of the House of Savoy], and the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain and her Torlonia descendants including the Prince of Civitella-Cesi.

> Click the 'Notice to Bidders' box
> Click on 'View eCatalogue'
> Set aside an hour or two while you turn the pages electronically and admire the contents.

Well worth an eVisit!

http://www.christies.com/eCatalogues/index.aspx?saleid=24329
I noticed this post too late to view the contents,I wonder what jewels belonging to the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain were put up for sale?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by salma View Post
More Portland jewels- Christie´s jewelery Auction
Jewels * Pearls * Tiara * Stomacher brooch
Who is the original owner? These are so stunning! Wow!

Tags
auction, cullinan diamond necklace, exhibition, jewellery