The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

Philip used diamonds from his mother for Elizabeth's ring. Camilla's ring is from the Queen Mum's collection of jewelry. So wearing a ring with some family history isn't uncommon in the BRF. Kate is most likely will still be alive when George gets engaged and may not be willing to part with her ring.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I meant any of the Queen's of the UK, but I suppose we don't really know if they did or not.

Maxima's ring is lovely but too big for me!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think there is a huge history of reusing royal wedding rings in the family - although in recent history most of the parents have been alive when their children married.

Queen Victoria is believed to have been buried with her engagement ring, and she along with Alexandra, Mary, Wallis, and the Queen Mum each received an engagement ring made for them. Most of Queen Mary's jewellery was passed down to HM, so it seems likely to me that her engagement ring is in HM's collection.

Prince Philip used the diamonds from a tiara of his mother's to create HM's ring, but he did come from a somewhat impoverished family (at least when it comes to royals).

The Queen's children all seem to have bought previously made rings, instead of designing their own rings. The exception is with Camilla's ring; it was a ring that had belonged to the Queen Mum, and was given to her by Queen Mary after HM's birth. The Diana-and-Kate ring is pretty much the only engagement ring to be reused as such within the family.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen's engagement ring stayed on her finger when she's buried. Other jewels of hers will be passed on to each of her children and grandchildren, but I somehow can't see any of her grandchildren reusing her engagement ring.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

So this thread isn't about royal engagement rings at all? Thought we would be talking about all of them not just Kate Camilla's and Sophie
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Courtier

I also think the Queen will be buried with her engagement ring.

Was the Queen Mum buried in hers?

Charles followed an old traditiion by giving Camilla a ring from his family. (Usually it was the mother-in-law that selected her future daughter-in-law's engagement ring.)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Often, the mother's engagement ring goes to her daughter. I think it would be nice for Her Majesty's engagement ring to go to Princess Anne. It could then be passed on to her line. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I also think the Queen will be buried with her engagement ring.

Was the Queen Mum buried in hers?

Charles followed an old traditiion by giving Camilla a ring from his family. (Usually it was the mother-in-law that selected her future daughter-in-law's engagement ring.)

Why would anyone be buried with jewelery?
What a waste!
Much better to will it to a close friend or relative, imo.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Serene Highness

What did Queen Victoria's engagement ring look like? I didn't know she received one.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What a waste!
Because love doesn't die. Stripping one of jewelry they wore throughout a large portion of their life is almost the same as grave robbery.

If the person dies wearing the jewelry, it should be buried with them.

Unless the person, specifically asks for jewelry to be removed, then it should be buried with them.

If the engagement ring or other piece of jewelry was not on the person when they died and the person did not specifically ask to be buried with that piece of jewelry then that piece of jewelry becomes part of their estate.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What a waste!

I don't think being burried with one's engagement ring/wedding band is a waste of jewellery. To me, they represent the love between a couple, and if they want to take the symbol of that love with them to the grave them it seems rather fitting to me - afterall, 'till death do us part.

I get the idea of using a ring that belonged to someone else as an engagement or wedding ring, but I don't agree with the idea that the repeated ring should have been an engagement or wedding ring to start - I don't think you should use the symbol of another couple's love to represent your love, especially if it's a couple that didn't turn out well. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
What did Queen Victoria's engagement ring look like? I didn't know she received one.

Victoria's engagement ring was a serpent (the symbol for eternal love) with an emerald set head (emerald being Victoria's birth stone).
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Courtier

Maybe some want to buried with their engagement/wedding ring because with all jewelry the royals have, these are some of the only ones actually given to the person themselves...not to the royal role in life
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Serene Highness

William doesn't see Diana's ring as a symbol as his parent's failed marriage because he wouldn't have given the ring to Kate.

Personally, I have no problem reusing family rings. My mom had her mother's gold band after she died. After my mom died, my sister used the engagement ring from my dad as her own engagement ring.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Because love doesn't die. Stripping one of jewelry they wore throughout a large portion of their life is almost the same as grave robbery.

If the person dies wearing the jewelry, it should be buried with them.

So then the corpse decays and the jewelry lies in the grave alone?
It still makes no sense to me, but to each his own.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So this thread isn't about royal engagement rings at all? Thought we would be talking about all of them not just Kate Camilla's and Sophie
They clearly have the nicest then! Only joking.

I suppose Kate's ring is infamous so it was only natural discussion of hers and Diana's ring would take place.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Ooooh, I love your ring.comments about my ring
Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure that it still is a rule here in the U.S., but at one time I remember it being illegal to be buried with jewelery that was worth over $XXX. I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm not sure that it still is a rule here in the U.S., but at one time I remember it being illegal to be buried with jewelery that was worth over $XXX. I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.
I vaguely remember hearing something along those lines too. It does serve to prevent coffins being exhumed by thieves looking for valuables that were buried with the body.

I never heard that about Jackie doing that with her wedding ring and I do find that very touching. Another trend (which my mother followed) is to take both wedding bands and melt them into one ring and place any stones from engagement rings or other rings symbolizing the marriage into it. I now have that ring.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Kitty Atlanta and Osipi. I hadn't realized that and I can understand why it would be in place to prevent grave robbing.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.
Actually, she put the ring on him the day JFK died, but after the autopsy at Bethesda, the ring was returned to Jackie.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, when you read of the Secret Service and ER Physicians recollections of the day JFK died, they say she put it on his finger right after he died and before he left the hospital