Princess Eugenie of York's Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if she didn’t specifically designate that particular tiara for Eugenie, I have to suspect the Queen has kept some things aside and out of rotation so that her grandchildren and their spouses would have choices once it came time for their weddings, etc.

I gasped when I saw this stunning tiara...I simply loved everything about this tiara and the wedding hair to go with it. The colored stones, the shape of the tiara, the hair with the red hues...absolutely perfect. Eugenie looked stunning and the tiara and hair both fit so perfectly with an autumn wedding. It's clear from this wedding that Eugenie is very, very good at her art gallery job...this wedding was clearly put together by someone with a real eye for art.

Perfectly stated! She was beautiful.

Even if she didn’t specifically designate that particular tiara for Eugenie, I have to suspect the Queen has kept some things aside and out of rotation so that her grandchildren and their spouses would have choices once it came time for their weddings, etc.

I agree. She’s a good grandmother and I’m sure has it all decided.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my unfettered imagination, I see the Queen and her female relatives hanging out in the vault trying on jewelry, but more realistically I think that there are catalogues / picture books and that the royals have probably thumbed through these tomes throughout their lives just like "regular people" have thumbed through photo albums during family gatherings.

Serena Stanhope wore the Lotus tiara for her wedding, then a few years later it showed up on Catherine.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules with loaned tiaras. I think much of it has to do with comfort. I also think that Camilla and Kate have perhaps more leeway than others in choosing one of HM's tiaras for an event.
There was a twenty year gap between when Serena wore the tiara at her wedding and Catherine wore the tiara. In the intervening years, Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother died. The tiara was the Queen Mother's property but it seems like she lent it to Margaret, who then lent it to Serena but ultimately became the property of the Queen after the Queen Mother's death.

If there aren't rules governing tiara use then IMO the BRF women are in quite the rut when it comes to this particular jewel. Camilla married Charles in 2005 and wore the Delhi Durbar that same year. From 2006 onward the only vault tiara Camilla has worn had been the Greville / Honeycomb Tiara. Now she has worn quite the assortment of necklaces and other jewels but not tiaras.

Last edited:
I think in Eugenie's case at least, she was offered a tiara to wear for her wedding by the Queen and wanted something with emeralds in it and was then shown what emerald tiaras were were and chose the one that suited her or her wedding scheme the best.

I would imagine too that the day that Eugenie spent with her grandmother picking out the tiara for her wedding is going to be a memory that she'll always carry with her. A special time between grandmother and granddaughter. Perhaps that means more to Eugenie than actually wearing one of Granny's tiaras.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Princess Eugenie & Jack's Wedding: Evening Dinner & Official Photos

I would love to see a picture of Pr. Eugenie wearing the wheat hair ornament - and again the back of the dress. It seems the embroidery was only on the back....
Ditto on both seeing the back of the dress and the hair ornament. Here is a blog post on Queen Victoria's Wheat-Ear Brooches including a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing them one of the brooches as a hair ornament.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Victoria's Wheat-Ear Brooches

I don't see anywhere else to post this. What was the history of the tiara Eugenie wore for her wedding?

The Court Jeweller has a piece on it:
"The tiara is the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik, made for the Hon. Mrs. Ronnie Greville by Boucheron. Previous literature on the tiara had suggested a creation date of 1921, but the palace states today that it was made in 1919. The tiara features a stunning central emerald cabochon stone. Mrs. Greville bequeathed the tiara (and a boatload of other jewels) to the Queen Mother in 1942, but until today, no member of the royal family had ever worn it in public. The Queen inherited the tiara from her mother in 2002."
Princess Eugenie's Bridal Jewels | The Court Jeweller

The Queen Mum and George VI spent the first part of their honeymoon at the home owned by Mrs Greville. The more romantic part of their honeymoon considering they got whooping cough during the Scottish leg of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesden_Lacey

She was a good friend of Queen Mary. She left money to Margaret and Victoria Eugenie but her substantial jewels to the Queen Mum.

Camilla's boucheron tiara also came from the collection.

Saturday Sparkler: The Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara | The Court Jeweller

The emerald necklace the queen debuted last year may have belonged to Marie Antoinette.

https://www.vogue.com.au/celebrity/...t/news-story/6c2cd6fbd13fe04ee3d90c5f46df2e59

Back
Top Bottom