The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What do you suppose comes first, the choice of tiara or the choice of dress design?

Eugenie says she knew her designer immediately, and yet her dress and her bridal party's sashes almost seemed built around that emerald tiara.
I think the wedding dress design came first, followed by a session with Angela Kelly for the tiara, followed by HM's stamp of approval. Jack's earring gift choice, and the green theme came later, most probably Sarah's input on that sash theme. The sashes did not come across as autumnal.

The floral decoration was wonderfully robust and seasonal, and seems independent of the green theme.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

The watercolor painting on the front of the wedding program is the same as the sashes.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Weren't the sashes from a painting that meant a lot to the couple? That is what I thought I read.

I was surprised to see such a significant tiara come out the vaults for the first time in sooo long, and it certainly does make one wonder why the RF paid for the York tiara if they had the Emerald one and Meghan's wedding tiara in the vaults. Though at the time of Sarah and Andrew's wedding I assume the Greville tiara at least was still owned by the Queen Mother's so maybe that was why it wasn't available to use. I have started to wonder if the Queen has earmarked certain tiaras along the way for her female descendants and that is why we haven't seen them for so long, the Queen already knows who they are intended for. Who knows!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Agreed. Both ladies probably have access to more jewellery if they so required.
Jewelry yes, re tiaras, my observation is that BRF women are given access to only one tiara from the vault at a time. While they are allowed to switch / upgrade, they cannot wear vault tiaras interchangeably. I have brought this up before and been disagreed with but no one has yet to provide an example of either Sophie, Camilla or Kate wearing a vault tiara, then wearing another tiara from the vault and then wearing the previous tiara after the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think Kate or Camilla are locked into any tiara due to their husband's views on the women who wore the tiaras.

LaRae
The reason I say locked in is that now that Camilla wears the Greville Boucheron Tiara, which was a favorite of Charles' beloved grandmother, and Kate now wears the Lover's Knot Tiara which was Diana's tiara from the vaults. IMO they are not going to switch, not because the Queen won't allow it, rather because of their husbands (Charles and William) great affection for the previous wearers (Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Diana, Princess of Wales respectively).

So to bring this back to Eugenie's wedding tiara, while lovely, that tiara is not going to be used by Camilla, Catherine or anyone else during this current monarch's reign because this monarch does not allow royal women to switch back and forth between tiaras and I doubt if any of the "mainline" will want their assigned tiara to be one with such a strong colored stone.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Before Charles married Diana, he petitioned the Duchy of Cornwall to buy Highgrove for his use. It was purchased for him. It is still a Duchy property. In an accounting of his expenses and cost a few years back, it was revealed that the only car he owns is that 1969 Aston Martin he got for his birthday from HM and the DoE. Like HM, clothing that he wears on official business is not paid for privately. In Charles's case, either The Prince's Trust or The Duchy of Cornwall pay. His homes are furnished with things that belong to The Crown. As to be expected.

I'm not voicing a negative opinion about this, just posting what I know to be true.
Off topic but do you mean The Prince's Trust, the Prince of Wales' charity pays for his clothes?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
The watercolor painting on the front of the wedding program is the same as the sashes.
Yes both are taken from a water color of an American artist the couple both like.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty...fits-gift-bags
Quote:
Before Charles married Diana, he petitioned the Duchy of Cornwall to buy Highgrove for his use. It was purchased for him. It is still a Duchy property. In an accounting of his expenses and cost a few years back, it was revealed that the only car he owns is that 1969 Aston Martin he got for his birthday from HM and the DoE. Like HM, clothing that he wears on official business is not paid for privately. In Charles's case, either The Prince's Trust or The Duchy of Cornwall pay. His homes are furnished with things that belong to The Crown. As to be expected.

I'm not voicing a negative opinion about this, just posting what I know to be true.

The princes trust has nothing to do with his clothes. It is a charity and raises money for his causes.

Cornwall is his source of income. It pays for all his expenses, like the income from Lancaster pays for the queen.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Jewelry yes, re tiaras, my observation is that BRF women are given access to only one tiara from the vault at a time. While they are allowed to switch / upgrade, they cannot wear vault tiaras interchangeably. I have brought this up before and been disagreed with but no one has yet to provide an example of either Sophie, Camilla or Kate wearing a vault tiara, then wearing another tiara from the vault and then wearing the previous tiara after the switch.

The reason I say locked in is that now that Camilla wears the Greville Boucheron Tiara, which was a favorite of Charles' beloved grandmother, and Kate now wears the Lover's Knot Tiara which was Diana's tiara from the vaults. IMO they are not going to switch, not because the Queen won't allow it, rather because of their husbands (Charles and William) great affection for the previous wearers (Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Diana, Princess of Wales respectively).

So to bring this back to Eugenie's wedding tiara, while lovely, that tiara is not going to be used by Camilla, Catherine or anyone else during this current monarch's reign because this monarch does not allow royal women to switch back and forth between tiaras and I doubt if any of the "mainline" will want their assigned tiara to be one with such a strong colored stone.

Serena Stanhope wore the Lotus tiara for her wedding, then a few years later it showed up on Catherine.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules with loaned tiaras. I think much of it has to do with comfort. I also think that Camilla and Kate have perhaps more leeway than others in choosing one of HM's tiaras for an event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes both are taken from a water color of an American artist the couple both like.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty...fits-gift-bags

The princes trust has nothing to do with his clothes. It is a charity and raises money for his causes.

Cornwall is his source of income. It pays for all his expenses, like the income from Lancaster pays for the queen.

The Prince's Trust hosts events that, according to the Bedell Smith book, only turn over 1/3 of the money raised at events to charitable causes. Part of what the Trust pays for is Charles's expenses in attending to Trust matters and events and staffing involved.

The Duchy pays for his suits.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Majesty

And he owns the Duchy!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 AM
Courtier

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Princess Eugenie & Jack's Wedding: Evening Dinner & Official Photos

I would love to see a picture of Pr. Eugenie wearing the wheat hair ornament - and again the back of the dress. It seems the embroidery was only on the back....
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Serena Stanhope wore the Lotus tiara for her wedding, then a few years later it showed up on Catherine.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules with loaned tiaras. I think much of it has to do with comfort. I also think that Camilla and Kate have perhaps more leeway than others in choosing one of HM's tiaras for an event.
It belonged (or a lifetime loan) to P Margaret and was a loan from her mother in law rather than the queen in Serena's wedding I believe.

Anyway while I am not sure is there a rule that the ladies only can access to a tiara at a time, I kinda believe it's a “lifetime loan” to Eugenie, no one besides Eugenie can access to this tiara when Eugenie is alive even though she doesn't have so many chances to wear a tiara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Somehow I don't think that Eugenie had to wait till her engagement to learn about this particular tiara.
I can imagine that the queen has been secretly seriously thinking which tiara suit which granddaughter the best since they were young and introduce to them when they are old enough.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Even if she didn’t specifically designate that particular tiara for Eugenie, I have to suspect the Queen has kept some things aside and out of rotation so that her grandchildren and their spouses would have choices once it came time for their weddings, etc.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Aristocracy

I gasped when I saw this stunning tiara...I simply loved everything about this tiara and the wedding hair to go with it. The colored stones, the shape of the tiara, the hair with the red hues...absolutely perfect. Eugenie looked stunning and the tiara and hair both fit so perfectly with an autumn wedding. It's clear from this wedding that Eugenie is very, very good at her art gallery job...this wedding was clearly put together by someone with a real eye for art.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Commoner

Perfectly stated! She was beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Even if she didn’t specifically designate that particular tiara for Eugenie, I have to suspect the Queen has kept some things aside and out of rotation so that her grandchildren and their spouses would have choices once it came time for their weddings, etc.

I agree. She’s a good grandmother and I’m sure has it all decided.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Courtier

In my unfettered imagination, I see the Queen and her female relatives hanging out in the vault trying on jewelry, but more realistically I think that there are catalogues / picture books and that the royals have probably thumbed through these tomes throughout their lives just like "regular people" have thumbed through photo albums during family gatherings.

Quote:

There was a twenty year gap between when Serena wore the tiara at her wedding and Catherine wore the tiara. In the intervening years, Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother died. The tiara was the Queen Mother's property but it seems like she lent it to Margaret, who then lent it to Serena but ultimately became the property of the Queen after the Queen Mother's death.

If there aren't rules governing tiara use then IMO the BRF women are in quite the rut when it comes to this particular jewel. Camilla married Charles in 2005 and wore the Delhi Durbar that same year. From 2006 onward the only vault tiara Camilla has worn had been the Greville / Honeycomb Tiara. Now she has worn quite the assortment of necklaces and other jewels but not tiaras.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think in Eugenie's case at least, she was offered a tiara to wear for her wedding by the Queen and wanted something with emeralds in it and was then shown what emerald tiaras were were and chose the one that suited her or her wedding scheme the best.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine too that the day that Eugenie spent with her grandmother picking out the tiara for her wedding is going to be a memory that she'll always carry with her. A special time between grandmother and granddaughter. Perhaps that means more to Eugenie than actually wearing one of Granny's tiaras.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Princess Eugenie & Jack's Wedding: Evening Dinner & Official Photos

I would love to see a picture of Pr. Eugenie wearing the wheat hair ornament - and again the back of the dress. It seems the embroidery was only on the back....
Ditto on both seeing the back of the dress and the hair ornament. Here is a blog post on Queen Victoria's Wheat-Ear Brooches including a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing them one of the brooches as a hair ornament.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Victoria's Wheat-Ear Brooches
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Commoner

Simply lovely!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Best Royal Jewels of 2018: #2 (Princess Eugenie's Bridal Jewels) | The Court Jeweller

The tiara and earrings are amazing.