Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this thread got totally off track but let's get back on topic....photoshopping royal tiaras and jewels. You will note that several off topoic posts have been deleted.

If there are any additional questions and/or concerns please PM a TRF moderator and/or Administrator.

None of my current crop of students (nor my own children) were born when Diana was alive, yet when I do an assignment on listing one's heroes, she comes up as frequently as Mother Teresa or Gandhi. This is in the two different states where I teach (neither is on the east coast of the U.S. or in the Midwest - perhaps it's different there - but somehow I doubt it).

When they are asked to provide a picture of her to illustrate their lists, many choose the famous wedding picture with the tiara, but many also choose one of the pictures of her touching people with HIV/AIDS. In the volunteer training programs for hospital work where I live, Diana is still used in power point presentations to illustrate that people need not be afraid to touch people with HIV.

I don't think she's going to disappear from everyone's memory any more than Clara Barton or Jane Adams or Betsy Ross, for that matter (yes, many of my students know two out of three of those - right now, way more know who Diana is).

In fact, some students who have thought very little about British royalty want to do whole projects on Diana for term papers, including her style. She's the only British royal who is regularly on these "heroes" lists - and certainly the only one that anyone has proposed a term paper on.

But, back to tiaras. More photoshopped pictures would be great! How about a new photoshop of William wearing the crown on his coronation day? It may be the only way we'll get to see him youthful and in that crown at the same time!

KateMPOP_800x1123aa111q1.jpg

Egads. The tiara looks great, but Kate nearly vanishes under it. That's not my favorite tiara, but still, this great photoshop does shoe that Kate can wear a tiara.

Someone fill me on the history of this tiara:

PrincessWilliam4.jpg

so that I can know why it will provoke reaction. I'm still getting my tiaras all confused, although I know this is a Pointy One. I actually think it looks pretty good on Kate, she has great eyebrows and such a great hair color for diamonds.

There is plenty of information on the tiaras on the forums. The first one (where Kate is in a black dress) is the Strathmore Rose - a present to QEQM on her wedding from her parents. I am not aware of anybody other than the Queen Mother ever having worn it. It has not been used since the 1930s. The second one is the Cambridge Lovers Knot, created for Queeen Mary and worn more recently by Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I laughed a little when you said she got lost under the Strathmore, the most delicate of the tiaras, but not behind the much larger camebridge knot tiara. The strathmore rose is named for the queen mum's family, a gift from Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th earl of strathmore and kinghorne. She wore it on her wedding day, but is so delicate, one can almost not see it under her veil if you look at the photos.

IMHO, the Strathmore is very pretty and feminine, but in the black dress photo, it stands out as somewhat wrong with a contemporary-looking dress. Unless she wears a super traditional gown, wouldn't this be just too dated looking? Again, just one opinion...

IMHO, the Strathmore is very pretty and feminine, but in the black dress photo, it stands out as somewhat wrong with a contemporary-looking dress. Unless she wears a super traditional gown, wouldn't this be just too dated looking? Again, just one opinion...

I do like the S-R tiara a lot, and do think it would work well for Catherine. I do think the design will stand up well to a contemperory dress, and should be fairly versatile for Catherine to regularly use.

The Strathmore tiara looks beautiful on Kate and I think it would stand up to any contemporary gown. The Lover's Knot is gorgeous, but to me, it would look a bit too heavy and overpower the rest of the wedding outfit.

If someone can photoshop William in the crown..how about Harry in the crown too. After all we may never get to see that!

Last edited:
Excellent, as usual MR!
Your choice of jewels is very interesting.

As with Queen Alexandra, her jewellery generally wasn't applied to match but was worn in abundance. It appeared the more jewels you wore, and the less they blended, the higher the position you were likely to hold. And although Alexandra was undoubtedly burried in jewels, there was certainly an art as to how they were placed.

Now, to dress Camilla in any such fashion would be considered nothing short of kitsch by most people's standards, but a likeness to a lesser extent can be subtely achieved and made to work.

She shouldn't be affraid to mix and match. She will have one of the largest, if not the largest jewellery collection in the world at her disposal. Lets hope she is guided well by her dressers!

I think her and Charles could bring back a little old world charm if they wished too. The Prince of Wales is an entirely modern man, but very much a current day 'Edwardian' as well which I quite like.

Last edited:
I laughed a little when you said she got lost under the Strathmore, the most delicate of the tiaras, but not behind the much larger camebridge knot tiara. The strathmore rose is named for the queen mum's family, a gift from Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th earl of strathmore and kinghorne. She wore it on her wedding day, but is so delicate, one can almost not see it under her veil if you look at the photos.
I believe everyone seems to think the SR is small because of the Queen Mother's wedding photo's. The can't see it . . . . but you can't see what isn't there.

It was a wedding gift from her family but she did not wear it for her wedding. Her veil was anchored by a band of myrtle and a York rose on each side rather than the tiara we'd expect today. (Bridal tiaras in the royal family weren't so common back then.)

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Queen Mother's Gown

I know some people will loathe it, but I was just curious to see what it would look like on.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/PrincessWilliam4.jpg

And re all the posts since my last upload, you're welcome ladies.

This is great I do hope we will get to see it on Kate in real life one day. I over the moon about the work you did with the Strathmore Rose I would rebut anyone who says it is too small for the wedding ..it has been my favorite for the wedding...

When Diana divorced it is said she was allowed to keep her Royal Jelwels as long as they could not be lent out or sold so that one day they would be passed to William's wife. When Diana died they went back to the crown, It was always the intention for William's wife to wear Diana's Jelwels as every other child or spouse of a child does. Even if the parent is dead, as we have seen throughout history with the royal family every tiara we have seen on HM/Princess/Lady was worn by the queen/princess or lady before her..it is thier honor and their right to do so. If Kate agrees and has NO problem with it then why should we...this is my opinion may you keep your own..

Why does every thread have some post about this issue? :) I believe Dianas personal jewels belong to her sons, her Royals jewels reverted to Crown and thus are the Queen's (or whomever is the embodiment of the crown) to do with as she wishes- hence why one day Camilla could wear the Lovers Knot when she is Queen.... this has been posted many many many times and plp who are far more knowledgable then I have said this.....let's look at more lovely pics! :)

Last edited:
Yep, this subject creeps up often.:p I agree with seeing more lovely photos.:flowers:

It was always the intent that Diana's royal jewels would pass to William for his wife. That was stated in her divorce agreement because obviously it was expected Diana would outlive The Queen. Because she tragically did not, the tiara and other jewels were returned to HM as they were personal bequests from Queen Mary and belong to her.

I won't be surprised if the Lover's Knot Tiara ends up with Catherine. The Queen hasn't worn it in the 14 years since Diana's death, which leads me to believe it was in safekeeping for when William married.

But we'll have to see what happens. It may remain with the royal collection after all.

Why does every thread have some post about this issue? :) I believe Dianas personal jewels belong to her sons, her Royals jewels reverted to Crown and thus are the Queen's (or whomever is the embodiment of the crown) to do with as she wishes- hence why one day Camilla could wear the Lovers Knot when she is Queen.... this has been posted many many many times and plp who are far more knowledgable then I have said this.....let's look at more lovely pics! :)

I agree we all have differing opinions about who got what so I almost feel like we should agree to disagree.

Great photoshops though. It gives us at least an idea of what she might look like with a tiara.

Nice work Catharina! The ruby tiara looks quite nice on Charlene with the red gown!

Looks great! But is this tiara still in the family?

I hope so, it looks great on Charlene in that photoshop!

Crown Princess Mary debuted new alterations on her wedding tiara during a state dinner at Fredensborg Palace on 11 May. It's received some mixed reviews in the Crown Princess Mary Jewelry thread, so I decided to try some photoshopping.

Here is a picture from the state dinner, not photoshopped. (Originally posted by Tamara at Royal Jewels of the World Message Board)

And here's how the tiara would look if:

The base was removed

the pearl base changed to diamonds.

all the pearls changed to diamonds.

Wow, I think these two versions would look fantastic! I actually don't think the pearl base matches the rest of the tiara, so a diamond base like in your photoshopped version would be a good choice.

Lovely as these two versions are (and well done on the photoshop job!), ncluding all those diaminds is going to be quite expensive, and to me, it was clear Mary was not keen to spend the money in the alteration.

Has anyone tried photoshopping Charlene Wittstock yet? Here's something I did. Nothing fancy, didn't spend much time with this but I think she would look fabulous with Princess Grace's rubies. I hope the Van Cleef & Arpels ruby tiara is still somewhere to be found.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/katti_solan/royals/charlene_rubies1.jpg

WOW!!! Charlene is a natural tiara wearer. Good job on the 'shopping.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I prefer the original version of Mary's tiara.

Last edited:
Wow, I think these two versions would look fantastic! I actually don't think the pearl base matches the rest of the tiara, so a diamond base like in your photoshopped version would be a good choice.

Thank you.

I'm not a huge fan of the pearls either, so I like the diamonds on top, but I'm not very fond of either the diamond or pearl bases. Too harsh of a line, imo.

I agree - I like the version with no base at all. The phrase "gilding the lily" comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom