The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Oh Most Uncommon GillW,

If you could find a picture of the honeysuckle tiara with the sapphire in it that would be wonderful. There is one in Leslie Field's book on the jewels of Queen Elizabeth II of Queen Mary wearing the honeysuckle tiara with the sapphire in it but it is an obviously old photo and is in black and white. I was hoping against hope that the noble Ms Lady K could be presented with a colour picture of the tiara itself (no problem) and a colour picture of the sapphire in its brooch form and cut and paste and do her incredible magic and presto there you have the honeysuckle tiara in all its sapphire glory and It would contribute greatly to my happiness.

Instead all I seem to have done is stumble about in cyberspace and inadvetently insult the noble Ms Lady K and arouse a lifted eyebrow from SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED. One does not elicit Ahems from S W M B O. It is just not done. Sniff. Life is hard. And so full of disappointments.

So if you could find me a picture of the real goods on this supberb goodie it would relieve my depression and contribute greatly to my happiness and I would not need to attack the half gallon of Dutch chocolate ice cream I have bought on sale a little while ago to relieve my distress. I would be so grateful. Cheers.

You know royal jewels is an even worse addiction than fine china -of which I have a mere two sets and working to complete one of them. But I do have eight tea pots, which I hope will at least in some small way redeem my reputation. But royal jewelry is right up there with chocolate. Awful. I cannot stop.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Thomas, don't worry- I wasn't insulted! If I had an inkling of what this sapphire looked like, I could try to recreate it with an image of a similar stone, but alas, I do not. I have got to find myself those Munn books. If Warren, or you Thomas (just frustrate those librarians a little more!) could upload the b&w image, I'll see what I can do.

Just get yourself some more chocolates!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Courtier

Sorry that I haven't yet come up with anything in colour, nor the brooch alone. But I'm still "on it" & looking - Keep up the good work with the chocolate!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Courtier

GillW and most noble Lady K,

Now that I have wormed my way back into some of the good graces around here-that Ahem still hurts- I shall make an outrageous and possibly illigitimate request. I suggest for your reading and dignified salivation the book: The Jewels of the Tsars by Prince Michael of Kent.

It has in it all kinds of incredible goodies, including a sapphire brooch of some 260 carats, if my memory serves me. There are also huge and massive diamonds of vast number, emeralds galore, pearls all over the place. The imperial Russians just loved jewels. BIG JEWELS. And lots and lots of them. Nothing like an empress positively dripping with peals. With a few sapphires as big as golf balls thrown in. And of the course the necessary diamonds. I just loved it when Prince Michael talked about Tsarina Maria Federovna's "everyday jewels". Priceless and hilarious and ultimately tragic. Then there is the incredible pearl tiara that he thinks is still undestroyed in the possession of all people, Imelda Marcos.

In any case by way of photoshopping possiblities, may I suggest that the Noble Lady K get her hands of genius on that book and lift-photographically speaking-that sapphire and plunk it onto the honeysuckle tiara. It would be a purely theoretical exercise to give an idea of what the thing might have looked like, since it seems we will never find the real thing.

So Warren long suffering and the Most Noble Elspeth, kind avert or restrain your massive and awesome censorial powers and look the other way. Cheers.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So Warren long suffering and the Most Noble Elspeth, kind avert or restrain your massive and awesome censorial powers and look the other way. Cheers.
Not on your life! Or, if I may say so, AHEM.

Now that I have wormed my way back into some of the good graces around here-that Ahem still hurts- I shall make an outrageous and possibly illigitimate request. I suggest for your reading and dignified salivation the book: The Jewels of the Tsars by Prince Michael of Kent.

That's Prince Michael of Greece.

Just sayin'...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Oh this thread makes me smile!

Thomas, that book isn't in my library's circulation- maybe someone could scan the image?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Lady K, I looked and saw where you had posted and immediately jumped into this thread thinking you had posted a new treat for us---and I was so disappointed that you hadn't! But, then I looked over the thread again and had the best time looking at your work all over again. I cannot tell you enough what a splendid job you do (especially on Camilla with the Teck Crescent Tiara!).
Anyway, I ordered "The Bible" (Munn's Tiara: A HIstory of Splendor" and also the Jewels of the Tsars book a MONTH ago and they're coming from Europe and I am so impatient I just can't stand it! Until then, I satisfy myself crusing the Royal Jewels thread--drooling, sighing, and wishing. I love this site.
Toodles,

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Princess Astrid of Norway's Butterfly-hairpiece "Tiara" on Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette-Marit

Butterfly Tiara on Sonja
(Scanpix)
Butterfly Tiara on Mette
(Scanpix/Kongehuset)

The unknown Star-Tiara that belonged to Crown Princess Märtha
Mette-Marit- unknown Star Tiara
(Scanpix)

The huge Emerald-Tiara
Mette-Marit with the Emerald Tiara
(Scnapix/Konghuset)

Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That Butterfly Tiara is awful. I can't imagine who would look good with wings sprouting out of the top of their head!

And Mette-Merit should stick with the small tiaras. She's very delicate looking, and big ones overwhelm her. Respectfully, IMO.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Lady K, I looked and saw where you had posted and immediately jumped into this thread thinking you had posted a new treat for us---and I was so disappointed that you hadn't! But, then I looked over the thread again and had the best time looking at your work all over again. I cannot tell you enough what a splendid job you do (especially on Camilla with the Teck Crescent Tiara!).
Which post? I can't remember, but if you remind me, then I'll see what I can do!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

Lady K--
The wonderful picture you created of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wearing the splendid Teck Crescent Tiara can be found in Post #42 of this thread.
You know, Camilla would look wonderful in the Oriental Circlet, too. AND in Queen Alexandra's russian fringe tiara or the Girls of Great Britain tiara OR Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara. Oh my, I got on a roll and couldn't stop. Let's see--can you possibly create Camilla in the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara with emerald drops AND the Delhi Durbar necklace? Can you work a little magic?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I remember the crescent tiara one- I liked it!

What I meant was, which post were you looking at when you saw it and thought I had posted a new photoshop here?

we'll see what I can do with Camilla and those tiaras-it might take me a few days.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Mea Culpa, mea maxima culpa. O Elspeth Most Noble. I grovel in abject humiliation. Of course it is Prince Michael of Greece, a grandson however many generations removed of Catherine the Great. It is my stupid Lyme Brain, you see I have lyme disease and it just short circuits the brain. But I feed the bugs chocolat and they and I are happy. We also like gin and sherry, but not together of course and that is another matter.

May I suggest that we remove that pathetic butterfly contraption over to the worst jewels thread. That picture of Sonja definately qualifies her for our Halloween party. So now she has the butterfly sillything and the Viking cows horns marauders tiara. Two major flops. Pretty good I should say. As for MM we will not even go there. I would be permanently banned if I said what I thought of that one. and the emerald thing, except for the big, square clunk in the middle is such a magnificent piece of jewelry.

And I still keep hoping that the noble Ms Lady K will brilliantly rise to the challenge of the honeysuckle tiara and plop a gorgeous sapphire right in the middle of it. Cheeers.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Again- I do the photo-editing, but I really don't have the time to do some of the searching for more obscure tiaras. If you tell me where they are, I'll see what I can do.

--never mind, I just googled it. (yes, I am busy procrastinating on other things, so I looked)

Is this the one you mean?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
May I suggest that we remove that pathetic butterfly contraption over to the worst jewels thread. That picture of Sonja definately qualifies her for our Halloween party.
You have to view historical jewels in the context of their time and reason for their creation. The "butterfly" tiara was designed to be a 'feather-holder', when ladies wore large ostrich feathers in their hair. The feathers had to be attached to something, and what better than a diamond hair ornament?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

A butterfly? How on earth does that thing represent a butterfly? They are like eagles wings, almost
Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

what ever it is, it shouldn't be worn alone- that I can see as the front of one of Thomas's Brad Pitt turbans! (that thought alone may be enough for Thomas to visit the little padded room with the men in white!)(But to be nice to Warren, I'm not going to photoshop that)(although if I did, I'd have to put some tiara on Angelina Jolie)

Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Courtier

Clarifying confusion.

You are correct, Warren Most Noble, the contraption on top of Sonja's royal head is an aigrette. The actual aigrette can be a large or not so large hat pin or it can be a sort of bejeweled base-a thinned down tiara if you wish to hold large feathers. There was this mania for feathers at one time. I remember in the Cartier book I once cited that there was this gorgeous thin diamond band or bandeau I should say holding a 92 carat sapphire with smaller sapphires and diamonds around it which served as the base for a large corsage(???) of feathers. I thought the feathers ridiculous and the gem stones and bandeau sublime. But then we do have the Iranian emerald aigrette that I still keep trying to get somebody to photoshop onto Brad Pitt sans the leather mini skirt he wore to such fabulous comic effect in the movie "Troy".

Dear Lady K, kindly get ahold of the book "The Jewels of the Tsars" by Prince Michael of Greece. You will love it. It explains so much and the goodies they have in it are just incredible. You wll go into orbit over it. You will absolutely adore me for suggesting it to you. You will find in it a picture of this massive sapphire goodie. Take that and the pictures you have of the present Duchess of Glouchester and remove the dreadful kunzite centerstone and replace it with the lifted sapphire good from the Js of the Ts. Cheers.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion Thomas, but honestly, I just do not have the time right now for much besides class-related "research"! This is why I often rely on you guys to help me out with finding the pictures.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

After some discussion in the "worst royal jewels thread" (one of my favorites, and one I get a lot of inspiration from for this thread) about Sophie, Countess of Wessex's Black and White Pearl wedding necklace. Nobody seems to like it, and Thomas suggested that if it just had white pearls, it would be much better. Well, Thomas, you were right: Image

Then I thought, 'well, if you are going to cover up the black pearls, why not remove the cross as well to make it look like a traditional pearl string?' So I did: Image

I like the second one best.

the picture was originally posted by daisygoogles on the Worst Royal Jewels thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, coronation, jewellery, photoshop, queen, tiaras