The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But still it will always be linked to Diana
Much of Gen Y hardly remembers Diana by personal recollection, so we are only talking of the Baby Boomers and Gen X who really recall Diana's connection to the tiara without having to resort to photographs and footage.

The elderly don't bother themselves with such things. They tend to realise lifes to short to worry about a tiara.

At some point Diana will become a figure that stirs no emotion, and the truth of the matter is that no one is going to care who wears what.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
A prospective Princess William wearing the Strathmore Rose tiara, emerald earrings and ring

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...123aa111q1.jpg
Kate would be beautiful with the Strathmore Rose tiara.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Nobility

The fact is as long as William is so popular, Diana will be remembered. My nine year old niece knows who she is. Her pictures are still every where. And many of the photos of her, have her wearing that tiara.

The fact is Kate is already compared to Diana. Now she is wearing Diana's ring. The press will have a field day if she wears 'Diana's tiara'. It may not be Diana's, but how many people in the world know the history of tiaras. Not everyone is royalty buffs like us. I honestly think it would be better for Kate to be given a different tiara.

Besides it is to big and oppulent. She is or will be the wife of the heir to the heir. Perhaps when she is Princess of Wales, but something more subdued and simple would seem more fitting.

It definitely could be this tiara, I hope not, but I won't be shocked if it is. I'd like the strathmore or another.

Who knows we could be blown out of our seat, and she could have no tiara. There was talk of the a top hat maker making a hat for the wedding. I assume it is likely for the 'leaving outfit' but heck she could want to surprise us. Camilla never wore a tiara, but I truly believe Kate will to her wedding. It won't be likely seen for a few years after, as they will be in Wales for two years.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Royal Highness

I know the Strathmore tiara is not in the best condition, but I have a some hope that it could be restored for Catherine to wear. The Teck Crescent tiara would be beautiful also.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The fact is as long as William is so popular, Diana will be remembered.
I disagree. He may be popular, but the generations that grow with William will have no inclination for his deceased mother besides some of Gen Y.

She is and will only ever now remain a figure in history and as time progresses, the Diana we 'knew' will become more and more remote to the social psyche.

Those who are below the age of 15, and the subsequent generations, will now only ever think of Kate's engagement ring as hers. Nothing more than an a family heirloom. The same for any other piece of jewellery which once belonged to Diana that Catherine may use.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Nobility

The point is the here and now. Even if it is only the baby boomers and Gen X in your mind, we will be around for the next 30-40 years. We will remember the ring, and the tiara for Diana. And the press will constantly be on about it. That is why I said it might be better to wait until Catherine is Princess of Wales before she gets a piece like that. That will likely be another 10-15 years if the queen lives as long as her mother. By then hopefully some of the constant comparisons to Diana will die down.

For now Kate is only going to be a duchess, or a princess wife of the grandson of a monarch. She will be living in Wales for the next two years. She doesn't need such an over bearing tiara. People are still adjusting to the fact she is wearing Diana's ring. Give her a different tiara, and down the line, perhaps then give her that one. The fact is as much as you want to repeat Generation Y will forget, for the next how many decades the Boomers and Generation X are a reality. We're not talking 20 years down the line when Diana's memory fades, we're talking in a month's time.

Look at Grace Kelly, she has been dead much longer than Diana, and still people look at her iconic wedding dress. Generation X wouldn't have even grown up with her, but we know her. As for the growing up with William, he is Generation X you do realize right, he is nearly 30, not a child growing up still.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Comparisons will emerge with or without the use of jewellery once owned or used by Diana, but most people will spend more time thinking about what to have on their sandwich than they will about the simularities between either lady.

And as logic would have it, it will only be the Baby Boomers and Gen X who give it any thought as younger generations (besides some of Gen Y) will have no need nor any real interest to do so. It would have been an entirely different generation and as the natural course of our existance would have it we die, times change and people move on.

Books, footage and jewellery may remain but that's no substitute for the physicality of living throughout that era. "Living" the journey with them in real time.

And sure, we may remember the ring, but it's generally only those of us with an enthusiastic interest who care to dwell on it. The media may try at times to labour the connection but it would seem no one really cares that Catherine's engagement ring was once Diana's apart from those who are comrpromised by prejudice and that you shall find in abundance, on here.

People will acknowledge it to which some will applaud it and others will not, but the wheels of greater society keep rolling along. It's only an issue for those who care to make it one.

I'd like to see her wear the Strathmore Rose myself, but should she wear the Lovers Knot, I'm sure she'll do it justice.

And William was himself born on the cusp of Gen X/Y. Again, some of our generation will naturally have a formed opinion, but a good deal will not. It will merely be something they have read, thought about for a moment or two and then move on to something else. Thus, the process of sentimental detatchment has certainly begun.

I do understand what you're saying, certainly about the BB generation and the fact this is 2011 and not 2030. As for the rest, we just happen to see it from different angles.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Nobility

The point is, if you are going to include almost 30 year olds into Generation Y, then you have people who have tons of memories of Diana. I am just a year older than William, and while I can't remember the wedding, I can remember a lot about Diana.

Again give it thirty years. She isn't princess of wales yet. Let her have her own tiara, her own identity, apart from her mother in law. If you think no one but royal fanatics will draw a link, I'm sorry but you're wrong. Every magazine, television show, website and newspaper keeps bringing up Diana with this wedding. Every single article has mentioned Diana's ring. Americans who watch anything like et or access hollywood, will have seen the ten minute tribute to Diana with 20 seconds about the wedding, for william and kate's wedding announcement. It is the baby boomers and Generation X in control of the media right now, and will be for decades to come. They will draw comparisons for a long time to come. And as long as they continue to put Diana's picture all over the news, every time a story is about William, she will be alive. The fact is that the media will not allow Diana to RIP, 14 years after her death she still is in magazines and on tv. When William and Kate get pregnant, the pregnancy photos of Diana will come out. When the baby is born, pictures of Will and his mum when he is a baby will be on every magazine.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

It's clear you have your opinion, and I have mine. As for who is wrong and who is right? Well, that's not for you to judge.

Affirming someone is wrong would insist that person has the knowledge and or evidence to prove it. You don't. No one 'here' does.

It's a matter of waiting and seeing.

Quote:
When William and Kate get pregnant, the pregnancy photos of Diana will come out. When the baby is born, pictures of Will and his mum when he is a baby will be on every magazine.
When William was born, photos of the Queen and Charles as a baby were also released. It's just what happens. It's a reflection upon history and if any comparisons can be dawn, they generally are. That is a universal occurrence and something some people just have to deal with...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
...When William was born, photos of the Queen and Charles as a baby were also released. It's just what happens. It's a reflection upon history and if any comparisons can be dawn, they generally are. That is a universal occurrence and something some people just have to deal with...
Yes, exactly, and it's more than just a universal occurrence; with royal events it's about dynasty, continuity and the unbroken royal line of descent. It's what makes royals "royal" and why we take notice of them, and why we continue to view them as "different" and "special".

William is not just a young man getting married, he's a future head of the world's pre-eminent reigning dynasty and part and parcel of that are his illustrious forebears, his mother included. In the leadup to the wedding we'll be getting all sorts of retrospectives, including no doubt wedding dresses, uniforms, forms of service, tiaras, trains, veils, carriages etc beginning with his parent's wedding and reaching back to the time of Queen Victoria. It all serves to emphasise the sense of continuity, stability and "occasion" that a grand royal event can offer while at the same time reinforcing and reaffirming that still very potent but undefinable royal mystique.

A good part of the sense of royal specialness and difference is maintained by reference to the past. So on the big day, whether it be the Strathmore tiara and the late Queen Mother, or the Lovers Knot tiara and the late Diana, (or a boring fringe tiara from the Queen, or something fabulous from the vaults provenance of Queen Mary) it all serves the same purpose. Royal weddings on this scale are few and far between. They should be enjoyed and appreciated for what they are, what they represent and the many levels of symbolism they employ. And for the worriers, I'd suggest they not underestimate the bride's ability to be no-one but herself as she walks down the aisle of Westminster Abbey.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Not sure how this thread got totally off track but let's get back on topic....photoshopping royal tiaras and jewels. You will note that several off topoic posts have been deleted.

If there are any additional questions and/or concerns please PM a TRF moderator and/or Administrator.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

None of my current crop of students (nor my own children) were born when Diana was alive, yet when I do an assignment on listing one's heroes, she comes up as frequently as Mother Teresa or Gandhi. This is in the two different states where I teach (neither is on the east coast of the U.S. or in the Midwest - perhaps it's different there - but somehow I doubt it).

When they are asked to provide a picture of her to illustrate their lists, many choose the famous wedding picture with the tiara, but many also choose one of the pictures of her touching people with HIV/AIDS. In the volunteer training programs for hospital work where I live, Diana is still used in power point presentations to illustrate that people need not be afraid to touch people with HIV.

I don't think she's going to disappear from everyone's memory any more than Clara Barton or Jane Adams or Betsy Ross, for that matter (yes, many of my students know two out of three of those - right now, way more know who Diana is).

In fact, some students who have thought very little about British royalty want to do whole projects on Diana for term papers, including her style. She's the only British royal who is regularly on these "heroes" lists - and certainly the only one that anyone has proposed a term paper on.

But, back to tiaras. More photoshopped pictures would be great! How about a new photoshop of William wearing the crown on his coronation day? It may be the only way we'll get to see him youthful and in that crown at the same time!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

Egads. The tiara looks great, but Kate nearly vanishes under it. That's not my favorite tiara, but still, this great photoshop does shoe that Kate can wear a tiara.

Someone fill me on the history of this tiara:

so that I can know why it will provoke reaction. I'm still getting my tiaras all confused, although I know this is a Pointy One. I actually think it looks pretty good on Kate, she has great eyebrows and such a great hair color for diamonds.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

There is plenty of information on the tiaras on the forums. The first one (where Kate is in a black dress) is the Strathmore Rose - a present to QEQM on her wedding from her parents. I am not aware of anybody other than the Queen Mother ever having worn it. It has not been used since the 1930s. The second one is the Cambridge Lovers Knot, created for Queeen Mary and worn more recently by Diana.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Commoner

I laughed a little when you said she got lost under the Strathmore, the most delicate of the tiaras, but not behind the much larger camebridge knot tiara. The strathmore rose is named for the queen mum's family, a gift from Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th earl of strathmore and kinghorne. She wore it on her wedding day, but is so delicate, one can almost not see it under her veil if you look at the photos.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Nobility

IMHO, the Strathmore is very pretty and feminine, but in the black dress photo, it stands out as somewhat wrong with a contemporary-looking dress. Unless she wears a super traditional gown, wouldn't this be just too dated looking? Again, just one opinion...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Nobility

Simply LOVE the above photo..So ladylike and Regal.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
IMHO, the Strathmore is very pretty and feminine, but in the black dress photo, it stands out as somewhat wrong with a contemporary-looking dress. Unless she wears a super traditional gown, wouldn't this be just too dated looking? Again, just one opinion...
I do like the S-R tiara a lot, and do think it would work well for Catherine. I do think the design will stand up well to a contemperory dress, and should be fairly versatile for Catherine to regularly use.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

The Strathmore tiara looks beautiful on Kate and I think it would stand up to any contemporary gown. The Lover's Knot is gorgeous, but to me, it would look a bit too heavy and overpower the rest of the wedding outfit.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Courtier

If someone can photoshop William in the crown..how about Harry in the crown too. After all we may never get to see that!

Tags
camilla, coronation, jewellery, photoshop, queen, tiaras