The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Aristocracy

Looks like a couple of the links don't work. Will try to remedy as soon as I can.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe someone could do photoshoppings with tiaras which were posted on http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/ ?
It would be great.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Here's my two: (I can't do anymore till Sunday, so you guys can do the rest)

Original image (royal jewels forum, as linked by Magnik)
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-...164215141.html

Worn by Mette-Marit (She just wears it best- I tried it on Mary, too, but it didn't work. It wouldn't work on Leti, or Salma, maybe on Rania or Victoria, but it's not Victoria's style, I don't think)
http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ewtiarauj6.jpg

Original Image (royal jewels messege board, via link by Magnik)
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-...164214161.html

Worn by Mary: http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lltiaraoz6.jpg

Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

I really like the one on Mary, Lady K. Good work!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Here's my two...
Great job Thanks a lot
Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Mapmaker
I almost feel like I'm preaching blasphemy, but the Duchess of Windsor actually looks attractive in a couple of these.
Blasphemous indeed, but great work Mapper!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Blasphemous indeed, but great work Mapper!
Wonderfully executed Mapper. Mind you, its probably a good thing that the Queen Mum isn't here to see it or it would be off to the tower for you with a cry of

ORF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Eva Sannum
Maybe she dreamed of this back then

< ed - no tiara in this pic >
Tiara: Getty, Eva: Polfoto)

another Spanish Tiara
(Tiara: Getty, Eva:Polfoto)

Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Courtier

Dear Mapmaker,

I have been highly amused by your efforts to beautify the maligned and over rated Wallis. I think both the Queen Mother and Queen Mary, neither of whom were to be trifled with, would not be amused. Their common description of Wallis was she was a "low" woman and indeed she was. I have always thought Edward VII was a prize idiot, a case of arrested development who never really quite grew up.

But your efforts are admirable. Some of them of course work much better than others. as for the Honeycomb tiara Wallis would have never been able to wear it even it she had been the queen of England as it was a personal gift from one of the Queen Mum's friends, whose name I cannot at the moment recall, to the Queen Mum, who would have strangled Wallis if she had dared put her hands on it.

We have all been charmed into believing that the Queen Mum was nothing more than a sweet little old lady, well you may dismiss that thought from your mind. Hitller called her the most dangerous woman in Europe. During WWII she did target practice on the grounds of Buckingham Palace and meant it. Charm, yes, but there was steel beneath all the furs and diamonds you may be sure. Besides I think she looks so much better than Wallis. Whatever did Edward VII ever see in the woman.

But given his political ineptitude maybe it was a good thing she showed up on the scene and relieved Great Britain of this potential disaster. Cheers.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Well Mapmaker - it was like looking at a dream. The Duchess of Windsor complete in sparkles. I think the Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara, the George V Diadem and the Indian Ruby Tiara were just made for Wallis - they suit her so well and I think these pics remind us of the unfair way Wallis was treated. These pics leave me in no doubt that Queen Wallis would have been a marvel to behold.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the reply Beatrixfan. But, I must apologize, I have to agree with Mr. Parkman. While it is intriguing to see how Wallis may have appeared, I actually think the British press was generous to her by not printing anything for a very long time and not printing everything they knew. And it might make for a very romantic story (although I still question some of the sincerity myself) but I do believe that Edward VIII made some ridiculous, selfish choices no just about Wallis but throughout his life. It may have contributed to the poor health and early death of George VI, but as historians have pointed out, thank goodness for Mrs. Simpson, but for her the successful partnership of George VI and Queen Elizabeth would never have been.

Considering the rather cordial relationship displayed when they visited Hitler, as well as the general lack of focus on or involvement in charitable causes as Duke and Duchess of Windsor leads me to believe that King Edward VIII and Queen Wallis would have been disastrous along the lines of Leopold III & Lillian, Nicholas II & Alexandra, et.al.

I appreciate the discussion, though. I hope we can continue it.

Mapper
Old 11-25-2006, 03:09 PM

Ah but bear in mind it was Churchill who sent the Duke and Duchess to meet Hitler. We know that Wallis was a brilliant hostess and I think as the State Hostess she would have charmed the very male dominated world of her era. As we know, the British people were not really that bothered about Wallis - they just wanted to keep Edward VIII. It was the PM and Archbishop who effectively forced them into exile. To me, she was a woman before her time - but I understand why some shiver at the idea of her being Queen. But whatever happened and whatever the history - this pictures are wonderful and thankyou for them.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

That's true, Beatrixfan. If nothing else, as a hostess she played the role well. And no matter what direction people choose to view/discuss her, she was and remains an intriquing woman.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
as well as the general lack of focus on or involvement in charitable causes as Duke and Duchess of Windsor leads me to believe that King Edward VIII and Queen Wallis would have been disastrous along the lines of Leopold III & Lillian, Nicholas II & Alexandra, et.al.

I appreciate the discussion, though. I hope we can continue it.

Mapper
My understanding, from what I have read, was that the Duke regularly asked for meaningful work but was always turned down. My own Grandfather, whilst not a fan of Wallis, said that the problem with the Queen Mum was that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". He said that it was common knowledge that she had set her cap for the PoW but he was not interested so she had to settle for second best.

I don't know enough about Leopold & Lillian to comment thoroughly but my impression is that she was never given a chance by the Belgian people and was vilified much as Camilla has been. Perhaps this is why HM agreed to C & C marrying when they did so that everything was settled while Charles is still PoW.

Yes, Nicholas & Alexandra was a disastrous match and I think that Nicholas' parents & Queen Victoria all had reservations about it but his mind was made up and, unfortunatley, they & four innocent children (as well as an entire nation) payed the price for their folly.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
This one looks especially pretty. It really flatters her. Ironic, isn't it.

I'm actually not sure which one is worse- Wallis, Eva, or Pia. I think, for shear tackiness, I'll have to go with Eva Sannum on this one. What Leti does with style and class, Eva would probably do with trash. (for example, just compare the weddings they went to as the prince's significant other... Eva to Haakon's, Leti to Fred and Mary's. Leti was so classy, elegant and stylish, and Eva....Eva wasn't.) At least Wallis could play classy.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Serene Highness

A (IMO) better interpretation of Wallis in the Durbar tiara
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

A (IMO) better interpretation of Wallis in the Durbar tiara

Thanks for the post, wymanda. Seeing the Duchess of Windsor standing in full frame illustrates what I think is the major difference between her and the Queen Mum and speaks to how people/society view others/women. The Duchess had a more modern, sleek, sophisticated sense of style while the Queen Mum had a softer, more traditional, approachable style. I think that some people equate Wallis' style with coldness and the Queen Mum's with warmth, possibly the basis for people's opinions of each of them (when it may have more likely been the other way around).

Mapper
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a very interesting but dificil thread in its part about the wearing of famous tiara by some woman who never had the title to do it.

Because it's only speculations and I beleived that it wasen't allowad in TRF.

Anyway, I agree about Wallys Simpson because the History had shown which kind of egoistic life the Dukes of Windsor had prefered. I agree too for Eva Sanum, even if I don't know her for herself, because it was obvious that she didn't have the less quality nor intellectual neither esthetic to be a good representant of spagnard people.

But this thread is very amusing for the photoshoping about very well known tiaras wearing by others than the custom.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Dear members of the List:

As I was leaving yesterday from the library where I do my reviewing of the RF I realized to my absolute horror that I had written Edward VII, when I of course meant Edward VIII. I should of course be sent to the Tower for thirty days. Edward VII for all his foibles, an excessive addiction to gallantry if you will, was a good kind. In all seriousness Wallis as queen would not have been a good thing.

The staff at Buckingham Palace were not happy with Edward VIII at all. Even his own father predicted he would be a disaster within a year. He was cavalier in his handling of state documents and members of the royal family looked with dismay at his perfomance of the most important work of his reign, ie the review of all the state papers, reports and laws. Which of course required his signature. Further it is reported that he would discuss matters discussed in the cabinet with Wallis who would then repeat or report them to the German Ambassador. And on it goes. The consensus of informed opinion, no matter what the public may have thought, the departure of Edward VIII was the best thing that could have happened.

As for the splendid examples that members have provided of Wallis wearing the crown or personal jewelry of the royal family, it only goes to prove that while important looks are not everything by any means. cheers.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Here you are few other tiaras for photoshopping
- http://www.hancocks-london.com/acata..._type_287.html
- http://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/sea...=24&submit.y=4

Enjoy

Btw. maybe we should start photoshopping royal necklaces or smth?

Tags
jewellery, photoshop, tiaras