Most Dazzling Royal Lady past and present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another Lady was Queen Juliana of the Netherlands who brought ozut the dutch royal parures at it's best.

Based on what I've read, Elisabeth 'Ella' of Hesse, the Grand Duchess Sergei was a dazzling beauty, decked out in jewels (in her pre-widow days). They say she and Queen Marie of Romania (and perhaps Queen Victoria Eugenie 'Ena' of Spain) were Queen Victoria's most attractive granddaughters. Ella's sister, Empress Alexandra was also a beauty but somehow her shy, introvert personality never gave her that commanding presence that her sister, mother-in-law, cousins, and aunt (Alexandra of Denmark) seemed to have...even decked out in imperial regalia.

In my opinion: Queen Silvia.

For me she's the most dazzling of all Royal Ladies nowadays.
Closely followed by Queen Margrethe II and Queen Elizabeth II.

I agree with Her_Majesty. The most dazzling royal lady is Queen Silvia. She is wonderful from every side!

In no particular order...

Empress Marie Feodoravna
Queen Alexandra
Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna
Queen Mary

For me,Princess Diana of Wales was glowing all the time :flowers:

I've always thought that Queen elizabeth is the most dazzling, but since 2005 i consider Camilla the duchess of cornwall the most dazzlind royal lady :)

Queen Mary was able to wear an amazing amount of jewels and make it look effortless, so I think historically she was the most dazzling royal lady. Currently, in terms of Queens I do think that Queen Silvia is the most dazzling--she really knows how to layer the pieces--and I enjoy seeing her weave those ropes of diamonds through her hair. She always looks amazing. For future Queens, while I do that Mary and Mathilde are beautiful, they don't really have the jewel collection to pull off "dazzling"--they have nice pieces, but not a large collection. I think that Maxima is dazzling in every way imaginable--her smile, personality, and the jewels she wears with little effort. I also agree with Chaimae that Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall dazzles and I believe that she will continue to amaze us with her growing jewel collection. I cannot wait to see what she puts on next!

I have to say Princess Diana. She always looked absolutely stunning in jewels.

Elizabeth I. Those pearls! The Diamonds! The ruffs and gowns! She set the high water wark for me as far as Dazzling! Not to mention the steely intelligence that shines through in portraits. Remember the story about Anne Boylen going to the fortune teller while she was pregnant? The soothsayer fortold a 'Tudor Sun' (although poor Anne thought it was Tudor Son).

Princess Grace above all right followed by her daughter Princess Caroline.

Of course the late Princess of Wales.

But this is supposed to be about 'dazzling' in terms of jewelry, not in terms of general elegance, impact or style...
...while Princess Grace and Princess Diana had all of the three above, neither of them was particularly dazzling when it comes to jewelry. Both preferred a quite subdued approach to jewels, rather choosing not to wear many grander pieces they had access to, and going for a 'less is more' look which I would call stylish but not necessarily dazzling with jewelry.

Yes, Boris has stepped in here before I was about to. Please remember this is the Royal Jewels Forum and discussions should be centred around the jewels the royal ladies wore (or wear).

We should also avoid making lists, or posts containing nothing more than a name. We are not conducting a poll. If someone believes a particlular royal lady outclassed her contemporaries in the glittering stakes, please say why. If posts are made without containing any substance we can't have a discussion.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

The Duchess of Cornwall dazzles and I believe that she will continue to amaze us with her growing jewel collection. I cannot wait to see what she puts on next![/quote]
im sure janet , that camilla will amaze us in the future , and we have many examples of her wearing a staning peace of jewel , she loves the big tiaras and the big parures , thats the amazing part of her elegance , and that whay i conseder her as the most dazzling present royal lady !

Not many royals could wear as much jewellery at the same time as Queen Mary, so my vote goes for her.

Queen Mary was absolutely incredible with all her jewels.

For others, it would be too much, but for her, it was perfect.

After the state visit of President Sarkozy I vote for Queen Elizabeth. She knocked their socks off at the Banquet.

I went back and looked at vaious occasions and see that the style and degree of jewellry worn varies on the situation. QEII has a jewel language all her own and reflects in those occasions.

In my opinion QMary the present QEII's grandmother was the absolute pinnacle of a dazzling display of jewels
She has an incomparable way of matching, mixing, and coordinating pieces of jewelry. The way she carries herself while wearing layers and layers without the looking overborne nor garish looking. I often found QAlexandra too overladen and exaggerated when she layered and mixed her pieces but not so with QMary.

The picture of Empress Farah of Iran is the best picture of a modern royal who looked great in her jewelry. The best looks have been in the 1910's with Queen Mary, Empress Maria and Empress Alexandria.

I can't imagine anyone outdoing Queen Mary as HM was outfitted with jewels for the Delhi Durbar. In India Queen Mary even outdid her own Coronation and she certainly was heavy with glorious jewels at that occasion, as well.

I believe Queen Mary to have suited many jewels at once especially those Chokers.

From the past, definitely Queen Mary! If only todays royal ladies wore jewels like she did!

In the present, Queen Silvia, Queen Maxima, and Queen Elizabeth II wear such magnificent jewels, and they carry them so beautifully.

The past HSH Princess Grace & present H.M.Queen Elizabeth II.

In modern times, I'd have to say Princess Diana; she was quite dazzling.
Historically, I'd go with Marie Antoinette; she wore gorgeous silks set off with fabulous jewels.

Jewelry-wise for me:
Tsarina Maria Feodorovnahttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N035GDv9Fek/USYXHlz6THI/AAAAAAAABtA/cLVwN-1Hqb8/s1600/2.jpg
Queen Elisabeth I https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7206/7099955351_354ff83b8a.jpg
Queen Mary http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxkP7c5h-y6nsGaKqPzY-TiDH56WEwwVgBknmM9KBEZM4_WqWm

Recent decades:
Queen Elizabeth II (while not necessarily the greatest jewelry-fan, she just has to get a couple of Cullinan's out of their case to outdazzle the entire competition ;) and she has some other lovely 'beads' as well) http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/71/34/25/71342592769f5eb6d281e1b852e42707.jpg
Queen Silvia (effortlessly dazzling) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/vickyandfritz/jewels/32.jpg

Recent rising stars:
Queen Maxima (starting to go through the entire dutch collection with obvious pleasure) http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTakWhnIMHcGq5gk6DSMmJmNW2F7UwdP46tR7p3hpFtcwI_f6Wx
Camilla duchess of Cornwall (unexpected brilliance, especially with 'big guns')
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_6PbKMMRyYA/TVnwu_rjN9I/AAAAAAAAAVI/H9fexmkK4Ig/s1600/04-camilla415.jpg

I like Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia.
She was known as the grandest of the grand duchesses.
In her jewel collection there were emeralds, pearls, rubies, and diamonds.

Empress Elisabeth of Austria wore jewels very elegantly.
Another Sissi portrait | Grand Ladies | gogm

Last edited by a moderator:
Without any doubt the Russian Grand Princesses (which is a better name than the English "Grand Duchesses") and the Tsaristic nobles like the Princesses Shuisky, Yusupov, Galitzine, Shakovskoi, Trubetskoi, Dolgorukov, Orlov, Potemkin, etc. Their splendour was so breathtaking that any "Western" royal or noble lady was definitely in their long shadow.

Back
Top Bottom