The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

On second thought I am not quite sure if the element in the middle of the tiara is a great success. The style is slightly different and the colour of the stones are different as well, perhaps due to a different material behind the stones.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Beautiful tiara for the Duchess of Sussex !

Old 05-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Not to start a debate but why couldn't this have been given to Sophie?!
Why indeed! Maybe it was forlornly sitting in the vaults, forgotten in 1999? Perhaps the Queen really thought that Sophie would appreciated a newly reconstructed piece? In a way I'm glad it was dragged out of the vaults for Meghan though. It was so lovely on her dark hair.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The tiara was the highlight for me. Lovely to see one we barely got to see and so visible at that aswell!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I love this tiara on her - although my guess had been a new one .....
Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
On second thought I am not quite sure if the element in the middle of the tiara is a great success. The style is slightly different and the colour of the stones are different as well, perhaps due to a different material behind the stones.
The stones in the middle comprise a brooch given to QM when she married in 1893. The tiara was made to support the brooch (and I assume other central pieces) in 1932 so they were made decades apart and most likely it was difficult to replicate the exact colour etc. of all the stones.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Royal Highness

The Tiara is STUNNING on her. What a great choice!
Still not happy about her hair, it looks a little fuzzy with the loose strands of hair behind her ear.....
BYe Bine
Old 05-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
The stones in the middle comprise a brooch given to QM when she married in 1893. The tiara was made to support the brooch (and I assume other central pieces) in 1932 so they were made decades apart and most likely it was difficult to replicate the exact colour etc. of all the stones.
Agreed, and it's possible that the diamonds used to create the brooch and the ones used in the tiara are cut in a different style, which would also affect the perception of color and brilliance. Old cut diamonds reflect light differently than transitional cut or modern round brilliants. And I don't think we know that much about this tiara or brooch, do we? Someone correct me if we do have that kind of information.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

Very true Ista.

The 1930's saw the rise of the modern brilliant cut round diamond which the tiara itself looks to be set with. The central brooch would have comprised of Old European cut (OEC) diamonds which were cut with chunkier facets and were usually lower coloured. Older stones had bigger facets to maximise the impact of candle lighting at night but with the advent of electricity in the early 20th Century diamonds were cut with smaller facets and colourless diamonds were preferred.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Nobility

After the duchess of Cambridge used three tiaras, I was wondering what would be Meghan’s go to tiara. I was hoping it wasn’t tiny like Catherine’s wedding tiara, since I wasn’t expecting Meghan to get to use as many tiaras.
I’m glad her wedding tiara (and hopefully her go to tiara) is a decent size and incredibly beautiful.

Since it hasn’t been worn in a long time (most of our lifetimes), it will be recognised as her tiara
Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Meghan looked lovely with this tiara! I'm really, really thrilled to see this jewel again, and in good pics! Why on earth had it been buried in the vault since Queen Mary's death? It hasn't been seen on three generations of royals.

As to the name: The word filigree actually refers to a technique in jewellery that uses gold or other metal threads or beads to create artistic patterns. The pattern in this bandeau is vaguely reminiscent of these filigree jewels, but the diamond studded tiara is not really a filigree jewel. The name was attached to it years ago when internet users were struggling to find terms to keep the different tiaras apart. See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filigree

In their communication the court used the name Queen Mary's Diamond Bandeau. A name that's more fitting, but alas, Queen Mary had several tiaras that fit die description diamond bandeau. One of them was inherited by the Duke of Gloucester. And also the so-called lozenge tiara would fit this description.

On another note: The tiara seems slightly changed from when Queen Mary wore it. Their used to be some extra diamonds on the centre, to give it extra high. I don't miss them, to be honest, the tiara looks better without them. And I'm not sure that Queen Mary used the same centre brooch. In some old pics it looked like Queen Mary's central element had a rectangular stone.

Congratulations to the 7 voters who voted for this tiara in the our poll!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Sussex's Bridal Jewels | The Court Jeweller

The tiara is stunning and regal. I was not disappointed by her choice. Happy to this tiara again.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
What a lovely surprise in the tiara! Perfect for Meghan.
My thoughts exactly! Wasn't expecting this tiara at all but was so happy when I saw her and we got confirmation. She wears it well.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

I'm in love with this choice of a tiara. It was completely off my radar. I liked that her hair was sleek and simple to show off the tiara in all its glory.

Side note; I suppose all my hopes and dreams of seeing the Strathmore tiara ever again have been dashed :(
Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Gentry

Wonderful tiara. I think it is wonderful!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Courtier

I’m pleasantly surprised by how pretty this tiara is. The photos of Queen Mary wearing it are all slightly grainy with the tiara out of focus and I had the wrong idea of it. It’s far more elegant than I’d realized.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Courtier

I agree, the tiara was beautiful ans it looked lovely with the entire outfit. Very 1930s.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 PM

I just caught the wedding on BBCA and agree, the tiara did look very beautiful on her, that it has historical value is an added bonus. That was very cool!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan looked elegant wearing the Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The tiara was very pretty and appealing, the best thing she wore today. Never liked the tiara until I saw it today.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, tiara, wedding