The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC it was on the poll we had here for tiaras we wanted her to wear at her wedding...I'd seen pics of it but only black/white ...it's a gorgeous tiara...and I'm wondering if Meghan will be wearing it on Dec 4th at the Diplomatic event, they all normally wear them there.

LaRae

Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is a wild guess but maybe (somehow) The Vladimir (Russian with emeralds) made its way onto a list or was requested by Meghan.

The problem with ‘provenance’ could refer to the fact that its for use by Monarch/Q consort and therefore not available as a wedding tiara.

It’s a stretch but just an idea. As the report is pretty garbled I could see how there could have been a misunderstanding.
Meghan and Harry have specifically said they went to BP and was presented with a number of specific tiaras to choose from rather than anything by Meghan’s request. So unless somehow HMQ or her aides are incompetent enough to laid out the Vladimir’s tiara with emeralds out, I highly doubt it.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC it was on the poll we had here for tiaras we wanted her to wear at her wedding...I'd seen pics of it but only black/white ...it's a gorgeous tiara...and I'm wondering if Meghan will be wearing it on Dec 4th at the Diplomatic event, they all normally wear them there.

LaRae
I don't think Meghan and Harry will be at the Diplomatic reception.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
I don't think Meghan and Harry will be at the Diplomatic reception.

Why wouldn't they be?

LaRae
Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Why wouldn't they be?

LaRae
Because Harry is not the heir. I vaugely remember some people talked about it. I could be wrong.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

The Diplomatic Reception has been done differently over the years. Even Prince and Princess Michael were invited at one point. And even if you are the heir, doesn’t mean you are invited. The Cambridges didn’t start going until 2013. So, it doesn’t mean it’s always going to be heirs only, and it doesn’t mean Sussexes will go this year, and it also doesn’t mean they won’t in the future if they don’t go this year. We’ll know the day of.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Meghan and Harry have specifically said they went to BP and was presented with a number of specific tiaras to choose from rather than anything by Meghan’s request. So unless somehow HMQ or her aides are incompetent enough to laid out the Vladimir’s tiara with emeralds out, I highly doubt it.
I am not suggesting attaching a level of credibility to the Jobson story, but H&M were hardly going to talk about the bride's strop in a voiceover for the exhibition at Windsor.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

We don't know if the Sussexes will attend or not, but keep in mind that Prince Harry has been apppointed Commonweath Youth Ambassador so it would not be scandalous or out of place if they were to attend this event
At the Diplomatic Reception the whole Diplomatic Corps to the court of St James is present. The Queen always has enough royals present to entertain all the guests. There is for instance and archive video at one of these reception where Princess Alexandra is chatting an Ambassador of Ghana reminding him, that it was she who represented the Queen at Ghana's Independence Ceremonies in Accra in 1957. And the Ambassador after not being sure maybe he as too young back then finally concur.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
We don't know if the Sussexes will attend or not, butkeep in mind that Prince Harry has been apppointed Commonweath Youth Ambassador so it would not be scandalous or out of place if they were to attend this event
How has being Commonwealth Youth Ambassador have anything to do with the annual Diplomatic Reception at BP?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Royal Highness

Frankly, the tabloids creating unnecessary tiara drama simply underscores why the brothers and the British royals in general protectively guard their private lives, and are so careful about revealing anything that goes on behind-the-scenes in the palaces. And yet, most of the royals are also very caring, funny and engaging with the people they meet up close and personal at functions and walk-abouts in Britain and on tour.

This silly tiara drama dis-fest I'm not going to bother to read. I'm sure the royals won't give it a second thought. They don't have the time, need, nor energy to spare for worrying about pitiful tabloids and hell-bent journos trying to stir-up imaginary stories and mischaracterizations.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It's a weird and ridiculous story, any way you look at it. Even putting to one side everything we have observed about Meghan and Harry--Meghan at least has never shown any signs of being the tantrumy type and we would surely have heard about it if she were--It's highly unlikely that Her Majesty had not given some thought to which tiaras she was willing to make available to loan. The Queen is interested in and knowledgable about all her jewels. My best guess would be that either she or someone like Angela Kelly showed Meghan and Harry a preselected group of suitable tiaras and Meghan made her choice from those.

And for those who think this is some kind of slander personally directed at Meghan, once again, Catherine faced the same kind of baseless, made up stories, and so did and do other royal ladies. It's the tabloids trying to get their readers whipped up into a frenzy.

I remember the stories about Kate's choice of the Cartier Halo tiara and how relatively modest that was compared to other tiaras the queen obviously has. As Catherine was to become the future queen, I believe she could have gotten another tiara easily, seeing those Eugenie and Meghan wore. Plus the tiaras HM loans out are usually very fitting to the personal style of each Royal lady, so I guess there is a procedere where HM selects some options (surely after having talked to the bride/wife about what they could imagine wearing) and then there is a personal choice.

We've seen Catherine now out in public so often and IMHO the understated elegance and modern design of the Cartier Halo really fits her. But now she wears larger tiaras due to her position which after three kids and an quite old queen is much more established than it was at her marriage.

Equally Eugenie: her parents wanted a "BIG ROYAL" wedding for her (did you read about Sarah calling Jack Eugenie's "consort" - poor man!) and her tiara matched that idea. Just like Meghan's matched her personal style very much with the more glittery tiara equal to the fun wedding they had.

So, no, I don't believe this story! Harry has so often said how much respect he has for his grandmother, surely Meghan learned from him to be careful with the old lady. Hm, will look up that Lainey article though. Maybe there is a POV that is worth looking at.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not suggesting attaching a level of credibility to the Jobson story, but H&M were hardly going to talk about the bride's strop in a voiceover for the exhibition at Windsor.
While I doubt they would air any dirty laundry in public, the method of how this came about doesn't make sense. If they said they were given the catalog to look at all tiaras, ok fine. However, they were presented with actual tiaras to try on that day. Well, Meghan did. I'm assuming Harry stuck to supportive role here. Unless you want to suggest HMQ and her aides are so incompetent that they would present Meghan with a tiara they think is unsuitable for Meghan to wear?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
... Equally Eugenie: her parents wanted a "BIG ROYAL" wedding for her (did you read about Sarah calling Jack Eugenie's "consort" - poor man!) and her tiara matched that idea. Just like Meghan's matched her personal style very much with the more glittery tiara equal to the fun wedding they had.

So, no, I don't believe this story! Harry has so often said how much respect he has for his grandmother, surely Meghan learned from him to be careful with the old lady. Hm, will look up that Lainey article though. Maybe there is a POV that is worth looking at.
I'm going to link the recent Lainey Gossip write-up re 'tiara drama' in the British royal relationships thread, because it seems more appropriate to be discussed there.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
While I doubt they would air any dirty laundry in public, the method of how this came about doesn't make sense. If they said they were given the catalog to look at all tiaras, ok fine. However, they were presented with actual tiaras to try on that day. Well, Meghan did. I'm assuming Harry stuck to supportive role here. Unless you want to suggest HMQ and her aides are so incompetent that they would present Meghan with a tiara they think is unsuitable for Meghan to wear?
I am afraid you are implying I have suggested things I have not. I have made no comment on what may have gone on. All I have said is that one need not take the voiceover from H&M for the exhibition at Windsor as gospel. If the truth were different, they are hardly likely to have said so in the voiceover.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

oh come Im sure meghan is too shrewd to maek a fuss like this....
Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
oh come Im sure meghan is too shrewd to maek a fuss like this....
Thats right, there are many things about this story that don't make much sense.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

I can believe that Meghan possibly requested an emerald tiara she may have seen, and was then told it wasn't available, and that was the end of the story. She wouldn't have overstepped or expected anything beyond what was available. I tend not to believe she specifically wanted emeralds though, because Meghan's preferences in jewelry are rather simple, delicate, and minimalist.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Courtier

Someone posted tweets from Dan Wooten where Wooten said the info about the tiara was not in Jobson's book. I went to Wooten's Twitter to try and find that exchange and he tweeted the following not too long ago.

Dan Wootton‏Verified account @danwootton 1h1 hour ago
For all the doubters, The Times today confirms my exclusive from yesterday about the Queen warning Prince Harry about Meghan Markle's behaviour before the royal wedding.@valentinelow reveals the monarch was "taken aback" by her "temper tantrums". Wowsers!

Link to Times article but most of article is behind a paywall.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
So

For all the doubters, The Times today confirms my exclusive from yesterday about the Queen warning Prince Harry about Meghan Markle's behaviour before the royal wedding.@valentinelow reveals the monarch was "taken aback" by her "temper tantrums". Wowsers!
The Times referred to Meghan's temper tantrums? I must buy it....
Old 11-10-2018, 06:28 AM
Aristocracy

Lainey quoted Dan Wootton who wrote the ‘exclusive tiara story’ in the Sun that all the other media also copied & pasted from. The same Sun that is reporting today by Jack Royston that The Cambridges will not attend Charles’ birthday celebrations because of previous charity engagements.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, tiara, wedding