The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Now that she's married, she will need the wardrobe and accessories to go with it. I'm sure there will be presents along the way....jewelry presents.

LaRae

Old 05-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think I would like it with a pale aquamarine or an amethyst stone as central element. I don’t think it would look so good with a single ruby.
What about a garnet?

Meghan sometimes wears dark red, so that might be an option.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She would look amazing at her next tiara event in a beautiful sleek evening gown, with the amethyst bracelet on her wrist, and the tiara with an amethyst broach in it.
I can't remember the amethyst bracelet. Can you post a picture?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What about a garnet?

Meghan sometimes wears dark red, so that might be an option.
I think any dark colored stone is going to make it look to Cyclops-like. Better to stick with aquas or maybe pink topaz, light citrine would work, too.

This is the only amethyst bracelet of Diana's I remember, it was part of a amethyst diamond parure (necklace, bracelet, earrings). First the bracelet & earrings (btw, Meghan would look nice in that imo very fashion forward and not at all granny-like pearl choker of Diana's). I'm sure she wouldn't turn her nose up at it if offered. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/7a...323e355fc9.jpg

And the matching necklace: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7ASYfKU0AAgVF-.jpg
Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I can't remember the amethyst bracelet. Can you post a picture?
Sorry meant aquamarine not amethyst, had the a jewels jumbled in head. Was referring to the bracelet that goes with the ring Meghan was wearing.

She did have an amethyst necklace though.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
When I look at close ups of her round Cartier earrings they very much match the tiara ..it makes me think they were created to work with the tiara too..even though she wore them prior to the wedding.

LaRae
No, they just got lucky and the earrings matched very well. They're from an existing collection Galanterie de Cartier.

And they have a VERY nice price tag.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Right, the earrings were not designed to go with the tiara, but they were probably chosen because they do.

As for Sophies tiaras, we should keep in mind that the small daisy bandeau was a one-time loaner from a jeweller, so that she wouldn't have to wear the same tiara two nights in a row at Fred and Mary's wedding. In 2005 she wore the modern aquamarine tiara for the first time. It was new and from Garrard's, afaik. And there were speculations that it came from Edward. So no gift or loaner from the Queen. It was only in 2012, thirteen years into their marriage, that she received a second tiara from the Queen, the five aquamarine tiara. Neither Diana's nor Sarah's marriages lasted that long.

Additionally, the Queen seems to have become more generous about loaning out jewellery in recent years. And we don't know how Charles and Camilla will handle the issue when it becomes their turn. So just about anything is possible.

I like the idea of light coloured stones in the centre brooch. The Duchess of Gloucester's palmette tiara looks best with the pink stone, imo. But the Russian sapphire bandeau is a good example that dark central stones are also rather common. It's a pity that the Spanish State Visit was before the wedding. So now we will probably wait a while before we see Meghan in a tiara again.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
I think any dark colored stone is going to make it look to Cyclops-like. Better to stick with aquas or maybe pink topaz, light citrine would work, too.

This is the only amethyst bracelet of Diana's I remember, it was part of a amethyst diamond parure (necklace, bracelet, earrings). First the bracelet & earrings (btw, Meghan would look nice in that imo very fashion forward and not at all granny-like pearl choker of Diana's). I'm sure she wouldn't turn her nose up at it if offered. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/7a...323e355fc9.jpg

And the matching necklace: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7ASYfKU0AAgVF-.jpg

I'm not a fan of citrine in whatever hue. However, I'm rather partial to yellow diamonds. Just out of curiosity, I'd love to see an opal as the brooch element of the tiara. There are many magnificent shades of opal which was once a favourite of Queen Victoria who frequently gave opal jewellery to relatives. I believe the earrings Meghan wore on her engagement day were opals.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Now that she's married, she will need the wardrobe and accessories to go with it. I'm sure there will be presents along the way....jewelry presents.

LaRae
Wedding gifts . . . because of all the new bling I hadn't thought of that until now. My cup runneth over! I know I'm greedy but this is the "sweet spot" jewel wise.

I think we will also see pieces of Diana's jewellery start to appear on both Meghan and Catherine. It always seemed sensible that they would wait until they were married and, with the appearance of the aquamarine ring, I believe it has begun.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today she is wearing new bling too!

LaRae
Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Please do stay on topic. This is the wedding tiara thread. The jewels she wears on a day to day basis should be discussed here. Duchess of Sussex Jewels: November 2017 -
Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Tuesday): Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau Tiara

A beautiful and elegant tiara.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Courtier

I am very interested to see how she wears this in years to come (assuming this is the tiara she's to stick with). If she does go down the road of substituting other jewels for the center element, I hope we don't see much in the way of one giant colored stone being stuck there. I don't think you can escape the cyclops look no matter what cut or color you opt for. The best route, I think, would be to echo the existing broach to a degree -- and the side elements that are styled like it -- and use a cluster of smaller stones.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.people.com/royals/royal-w...n-markle-tiara
This is the article that mentioned the diamond bandeau was a present to the then Princess Mary in 1893. This also gave me the impression that her 1893 veil had been used by Meghan.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
This is the article that mentioned the diamond bandeau was a present to the then Princess Mary in 1893. This also gave me the impression that her 1893 veil had been used by Meghan.
Its People magazine, not a great source of actual information on such.

Besides the only time the veil was mentioned was just a passing comment of the tiara being paired with a cathedral veil and her dress.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Hmm, there are several inaccuracies in the article. Princess Mary received the Brooch as a wedding present in 1893 and, as was her way when she became Queen, had a diamond filigree tiara made using the brooch as a central and replaceable element. We have only seen photos of it with the diamond brooch.

The bandeau Princess Margaret wore was the Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I never liked the bandeau from the photos, it looked a heavy and clumsy piece with a honking great big dark sapphire that looks like a +-cyclops eye!

However, having seen how delicate and beautiful the Filigree Tiara is, I may have to eat my words if we ever see Cyclops again.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Hmm, there are several inaccuracies in the article. Princess Mary received the Brooch as a wedding present in 1893 and, as was her way when she became Queen, had a diamond filigree tiara made using the brooch as a central and replaceable element. We have only seen photos of it with the diamond brooch.

The bandeau Princess Margaret wore was the Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I never liked the bandeau from the photos, it looked a heavy and clumsy piece with a honking great big dark sapphire that looks like a +-cyclops eye!

However, having seen how delicate and beautiful the Filigree Tiara is, I may have to eat my words if we ever see Cyclops again.

The name filigree tiara for the Duchess is as wrong as the name rose-cut diamonds bandeau for that jewel of the Dutch Queen (which has not one rose-cut diamond in it). There is not one piece of fillegrain to see in Meghan's wedding diadem.

This is a filigree diadem: picture.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The name filigree tiara for the Duchess is as wrong as the name rose-cut diamonds bandeau for that jewel of the Dutch Queen (which has not one rose-cut diamond in it). There is not one piece of fillegrain to see in Meghan's wedding diadem.

This is a filigree diadem: picture.
Not too sure of your point. I was merely pointing out that the various descriptions and names used over time is what caused the two tiaras to be either confused or thought to be one and the same.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Meghans Tiara is that of Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau Tiara. Borrowed from The Queen.
Which jeweller made Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau Tiara? In what year was the tiara made?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan's tiara has been referred to as the filigree simply for convenience and clarification. Queen Mary owned four bandeau tiaras.

1. The lozenge bandeau
2. the sapphire bandeau
3. the filigree (Meghan)
4. the diamond bandeau

The first two we know well as they were debated as possible wedding tiaras. The fourth one though has been commonly referred to as 'Queen Mary's diamond bandeau' before now. To differentiate, the one Meghan wore, was given the name the filigree bandeau.

At least one poster, when the ID was made on the wedding day, that Meghan was wearing #4. Because reporters were simply calling it the diamond bandeau (as now it seems blogs are calling it now).

The 'diamond bandeau' is now the Kent fringe tiara, worn by the duchess.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara

Quote:
Which jeweller made Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau Tiara? In what year was the tiara made?
The bandeau Meghan wore was made in 1932. The brooch in the center is 40 years older. It was a gift to Mary from the county of Lincoln for her wedding in 1893. The tiara was crafted to fit the brooch.

As for designer, like a few of her tiaras, it isn't known. It is quite likely Garrard's who were the court jewelers back then. But a few of her pieces were done by other jewelers.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, tiara, wedding