The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 4 3.45%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 4.31%
Papyrus Tiara 10 8.62%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 4.31%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 2 1.72%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 5.17%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 22 18.97%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 0 0%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 18 15.52%
Teck Crescent Tiara 9 7.76%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 3 2.59%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 6 5.17%
Antique tiara acquired for her 5 4.31%
New tiara created for her 12 10.34%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 12-02-2017, 01:53 PM
lady of hay's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: around the uk, United Kingdom
Posts: 315
Not keen on the Teck Circle , but I love the Diamond Lozenge.

I have found a picture of Princess Margaret wearing what looks like the Lozenge , in a Google search. It doesn't say where the tiara is though .
__________________

__________________
Truth is the daughter of time.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Good job! I like both on her but again, we have no idea if these tiaras are still available. I thought the circle tiara is on permenant loan. The lozenge hasn’t been seen in years.
Circle owned by the current Earl of Snowden (David Linley).


LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
I have found a picture of Princess Margaret wearing what looks like the Lozenge , in a Google search. It doesn't say where the tiara is though .
I don't think it's been seen since the 70's? None of us (that I know of) have been able to figure out where it is unless just buried in the vault. Hopefully not broken down for use elsewhere.


LaRae
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 PM
lady of hay's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: around the uk, United Kingdom
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think it's been seen since the 70's? None of us (that I know of) have been able to figure out where it is unless just buried in the vault. Hopefully not broken down for use elsewhere.


LaRae
The photo did look quite old, 1950's I think. I also hope it hasn't been broken down
__________________
Truth is the daughter of time.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Was a tiara made for Sophie when she married Prince Edward ? Which we could call the Wessex tiara.
He was a third son , so there is no reason why the Queen might not do the same for Meghan, which would then become the ????? tiara .
Yes, Sophie's wedding tiara was made for her from pieces from the royal vaults. There is an option to vote for new tiara, bought or made, up top. And a few people have suggested the possibility.

I had to laugh when a few people suggested Sophie's wedding tiara for Meghan. That's right up there with The girls, and spencer tiaras as not going to happen.

It is possible that the Linleys might sell back the teck circle if they wanted it. They have sold other tiaras of Margaret. But then again they may want to keep one in the family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
Lady of Hay, Yeah, quite pretty and I'm not normally a fan of art deco, but I like that.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Not keen on the Teck Circle , but I love the Diamond Lozenge.
Honestly I change my mind immediately (again!) after I put its on Meghan's head It's definitely HER tiara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
The photo did look quite old, 1950's I think. I also hope it hasn't been broken down
Some sources say the photo (probably the only photo) is from 1948, Inauguration of Queen Juliana.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,029
The more I look at the Lozenge bandeau tiara, the more I grow to love it as a potential bridal tiara. You did a great job photoshopping it W.Y.CII! It gives a nice idea of how it could look on her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
The Lozenge looks very good on Meghan..it suits her.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 12-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,846
I think the tiara Sophie got is hideous!

That is why I hope one is purchased for Meghan at auction.
Because all of the nicer tiaras are either those the Queen will not loan,or else in the possession of somebody else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 12-02-2017, 03:35 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
The more I look at the Lozenge bandeau tiara, the more I grow to love it as a potential bridal tiara. You did a great job photoshopping it W.Y.CII! It gives a nice idea of how it could look on her.
The Lozenge bandara has not been seen in public since 1946 when Princess Margaret wore it for a formal visit to the Netherlands. It’s not listed on any sites of currently known Tiaras that are known to be intact and still available. I think at this point we can assume it’s been repurposed and therefore no longer available.

Perhaps the tiara list/poll should be revised to show only those tiaras that we can actually consider Meghan might be loaned????? It’s A short list at this point.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 12-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think the tiara Sophie got is hideous!

That is why I hope one is purchased for Meghan at auction.
Because all of the nicer tiaras are either those the Queen will not loan,or else in the possession of somebody else.
I can't remember was it made for her or bought?


LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
The Lozenge bandara has not been seen in public since 1946 when Princess Margaret wore it for a formal visit to the Netherlands. It’s not listed on any sites of currently known Tiaras that are known to be intact and still available. I think at this point we can assume it’s been repurposed and therefore no longer available.

Perhaps the tiara list/poll should be revised to show only those tiaras that we can actually consider Meghan might be loaned????? It’s A short list at this point.

You can message the moderator that created the poll and see.


LaRae

texankitcat remember too...we don't know what is in those vaults unseen in decades.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I can't remember was it made for her or bought?


LaRae
It was made from pieces belonging to Victoria.
And it looks it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-02-2017, 03:56 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
texankitcat remember too...we don't know what is in those vaults unseen in decades.


LaRae
You may be right, but we know what The BRF has historically accumulated and of those tiaras there are only a small portion that have not been seen in decades. With all the brooches, necklaces; pendants and loose jewels from broken pieces I am sure there are options to cobble a tiara together, but then, you get a tiara that looks cobbled together. Sophia’s wedding tiara is an excellent example.

The Bandeau is a classic design that would fit any era and still look modern, so why hasn’t it been worn since 1946? There must be a reason other than being buried and forgotten in a vault.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I can't remember was it made for her or bought?


LaRae
Made. Rumored from pieces belonging to queen Victoria, but definitely royal pieces. Can definitely tell it was patched together.

If going to make a piece, hopefully do better, like converting a necklace. Or just go to auction.


The lozenge or the queen mother's bandeau are really my favorites. Them or the strahmore. The latter two have such an unique look compared to others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It was made from pieces belonging to Victoria.
And it looks it!
I wonder who made it...or maybe who designed it? Hmmm maybe Sohpie was asked for her design input? Sometimes things on paper don't come out right when actually made.


I don't care for it.. She should have it re done.


LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
You may be right, but we know what The BRF has historically accumulated and of those tiaras there are only a small portion that have not been seen in decades. With all the brooches, necklaces; pendants and loose jewels from broken pieces I am sure there are options to cobble a tiara together, but then, you get a tiara that looks cobbled together. Sophia’s wedding tiara is an excellent example.

The Bandeau is a classic design that would fit any era and still look modern, so why hasn’t it been worn since 1946? There must be a reason other than being buried and forgotten in a vault.

Not much difference in that and the Sapphire Bandeau which I think maybe Princess Anne was the last one to wear that, decades ago.

Gosh I hope that hasn't been taken apart.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I wonder who made it...or maybe who designed it? Hmmm maybe Sohpie was asked for her design input? Sometimes things on paper don't come out right when actually made.


I don't care for it.. She should have it re done.


LaRae
The origins are pretty unknown, including what exactly was used (what jewels) to make it. But it is believed to have been done by David Thomas who was court jeweller at the time (the work and possibly the design itself). Thomas worked with Asprey and Garrard.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Sophie's Wedding Tiara

If either of the couple worked with the jeweller to design it, I would suspect Edward. He designed her necklace and earrings for the wedding, which were his gifts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM
lady of hay's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: around the uk, United Kingdom
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Lady of Hay, Yeah, quite pretty and I'm not normally a fan of art deco, but I like that.


LaRae
Missed some of the "party" , but I love Deco .
__________________
Truth is the daughter of time.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The origins are pretty unknown, including what exactly was used (what jewels) to make it. But it is believed to have been done by David Thomas who was court jeweller at the time (the work and possibly the design itself). Thomas worked with Asprey and Garrard.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Sophie's Wedding Tiara

If either of the couple worked with the jeweller to design it, I would suspect Edward. He designed her necklace and earrings for the wedding, which were his gifts.

Ah perhaps someone should of ummm helped Edward



LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Missed some of the "party" , but I love Deco .
I run across a piece now and then I like.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,913
So call me crazy... but I don't consider it impossible that Meghan might wear the Spencer Tiara for her wedding.

Incredibly unlikely? Yes. But not impossible. I noticed in the engagement interview that she specifically mentioned that she and Harry had been spending time with the Spencer side of the family. Given that, I could see Earl Spencer offering the use of the tiara for her wedding in honor of Harry's mother.

I consider it unlikely because I'm not sure the royal family would want to give any spotlight to Earl Spencer, and consider it far more likely that she'll use one from the Queen's collection- maybe one associated with the Queen Mother, like Kate did.

But I wouldn't be totally shocked and I don't consider it impossible that the Spencer Tiara might make an appearance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
So call me crazy... but I don't consider it impossible that Meghan might wear the Spencer Tiara for her wedding.

Incredibly unlikely? Yes. But not impossible. I noticed in the engagement interview that she specifically mentioned that she and Harry had been spending time with the Spencer side of the family. Given that, I could see Earl Spencer offering the use of the tiara for her wedding in honor of Harry's mother.

I consider it unlikely because I'm not sure the royal family would want to give any spotlight to Earl Spencer, and consider it far more likely that she'll use one from the Queen's collection- maybe one associated with the Queen Mother, like Kate did.

But I wouldn't be totally shocked and I don't consider it impossible that the Spencer Tiara might make an appearance.
I could see perhaps offering a Spencer heirloom for her to wear, to connect her to Diana but I don't think the earl would ever offer the tiara even as a loan.

The Spencers are an old family and tradition is important. Traditionally the tiara is worn only by either the wife or the daughter of the earl (or daughter in law). That is why Diana wore it. Even the earl's future granddaughters from Edmund (the younger son of the earl) who would be Spencers in name, would not likely wear.

Besides wearing a tiara at the wedding is an introduction into the royal family not the Spencer family. It would be one thing if Meghan had a family tiara like Diana did, or Camilla does (though obviously didn't wear at wedding). But she doesn't.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017 JessRulz Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 776 Yesterday 03:21 PM
Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings Duchessmary Royal Jewels General Discussion 1392 04-29-2011 06:52 AM




Popular Tags
birthday books carl gustaf catherine chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess elisabeth crown princess mary crown princess victoria crown princess victoria daytime fashion current events denmark earl of snowdon family general news grand duchess maria teresa guillaume hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein margherita monarchy news noice prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess diana lady spencer princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess margriet princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia shaikh zayed bin hamdan bin zayed al nahyan sofia state visit state visit from argentina stephanie sweden swedish royal family uae wildlife victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises