The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 6 3.59%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.99%
Papyrus Tiara 12 7.19%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 2.99%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 2.40%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 3.59%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 29 17.37%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.80%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 24 14.37%
Teck Crescent Tiara 12 7.19%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 7 4.19%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 5.39%
Antique tiara acquired for her 7 4.19%
New tiara created for her 25 14.97%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 7.78%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #761  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
I think there are certain tiaras being reserved for the sole use of the Queen. Now in the future that could change if a new Queen doesn't care (unless there's some unknown rule about this)...but this Queen seems to be more of a stickler about some things.


LaRae
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #762  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Compromise could be the other fringe tiara. There is the Queen Adelaide fringe tiara which is in the queen's collection since the death of her mother.
Sundays with Victoria: Queen Adelaide's Diamond Fringe | The Court Jeweller
That's a very nice fringe tiara, I think. That one would be nice.
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #763  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think there are certain tiaras being reserved for the sole use of the Queen. Now in the future that could change if a new Queen doesn't care (unless there's some unknown rule about this)...but this Queen seems to be more of a stickler about some things.


LaRae
Agreed, that is why I suggested the Queen Adelaide could be a compromise. It has never been worn by Elizabeth II, even as jewelry/necklace. It is very similar, mistaken at times for the Queen Mary, but smaller. The queen mother wore it as a necklace. Might be a nice choice to come out of the vaults.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #764  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
The Daily Diadem: Queen Adelaide's Diamond Fringe | The Court Jeweller (a closer view of the Queen A Fringe) ...while not a fan of Fringe style tiaras this one isn't too bad because it's shorter and not so massive. So many times I see women in these massive Fringe tiaras and they are overwhelming the wearer.

Meghan could wear this one and not looking like the tiara is overwhelming her.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #765  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:56 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The Daily Diadem: Queen Adelaide's Diamond Fringe | The Court Jeweller (a closer view of the Queen A Fringe) ...while not a fan of Fringe style tiaras this one isn't too bad because it's shorter and not so massive. So many times I see women in these massive Fringe tiaras and they are overwhelming the wearer.

Meghan could wear this one and not looking like the tiara is overwhelming her.


LaRae
OT question: how many fringes does BRF actually have? The ladies probably can coordinate their choices and wear different fringes at same event.


I think Sarah's tiara is a gift for her from the very beginning.

We never know how Charles (and Camilla) handle the tiara/jewelry issues until he becomes the King, but for the Queen, I think she didn't gift any historical tiara/jewelry to anyone.

But yes it's possible that Meghan may get a newly purchased tiara as a gift from Charles (rather than the Queen).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #766  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
OT question: how many fringes does BRF actually have? The ladies probably can coordinate their choices and wear different fringes at same event.


I think Sarah's tiara is a gift for her from the very beginning.

We never know how Charles (and Camilla) handle the tiara/jewelry issues until he becomes the King, but for the Queen, I think she didn't gift any historical tiara/jewelry to anyone.

But yes it's possible that Meghan may get a newly purchased tiara as a gift from Charles (rather than the Queen).

Several...I can think of 3 right off the top of my head...and I think there's more.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #767  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,945
Several off-topic posts have been deleted. Please keep the discussion civil and friendly.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #768  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Dymphna's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gettysburg, PA, United States
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I'm starting to think that if she does do a tiara, the Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara would indeed look very good on Meghan, especially if her dress is 'architectural'. (I am keen on something akin to Letizia's and Mathilde's collars). Not sure if that tiara is possible, though, since I haven't been following the thread too closely to know what's been discussed.
I'd LOVE to see the Fringe Tiara! I was rooting for that one for Katherine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #769  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,945
Fringe tiaras are somehow great with veils, imo they make lovely wedding tiaras. But no bride since Princess Anne has worn Queen Mary's fringe at a wedding. Since neither Catherine nor Sarah or Sophie wore the fringe tiara, it would greatly surprise me if Meghan were offered Queen Mary's fringe for her wedding. And Queen Adelaide's fringe just doesn't look as good as a tiara as Queen Mary's fringe does. And then it's even so much older with a very rich royal history. I just can't see anybody other than a Queen or wife of an heir wearing it.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #770  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:07 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Fringe tiaras are somehow great with veils, imo they make lovely wedding tiaras. But no bride since Princess Anne has worn Queen Mary's fringe at a wedding. Since neither Catherine nor Sarah or Sophie wore the fringe tiara, it would greatly surprise me if Meghan were offered Queen Mary's fringe for her wedding. And Queen Adelaide's fringe just doesn't look as good as a tiara as Queen Mary's fringe does. And then it's even so much older with a very rich royal history. I just can't see anybody other than a Queen or wife of an heir wearing it.
As far as I am aware Queen Adelaide's Fringe is one of those few tiaras in the private collection left for the use of the Queen alone and she uses it as a necklace mostly when wearing either Queen Mary's Fringe or the kokoshnik.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #771  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As far as I am aware Queen Adelaide's Fringe is one of those few tiaras in the private collection left for the use of the Queen alone and she uses it as a necklace mostly when wearing either Queen Mary's Fringe or the kokoshnik.
You are right, I completely forgot about that. So Queen Adelaide's fringe is completely off the list.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #772  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
Fingers crossed they bring out something we haven't seen for a long time.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #773  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 698
The Queen Adelaide's Fringe Tiara may be a Queen only tiara, but Queen Elizabeth II has not been seen wearing tiara.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #774  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
She has several tiaras she appears to keep reserved for 'use of the Queen'. There's not many events or occasions to wear them all now days. Some of them probably won't be seen again until Camilla or Kate wears them (when they are Queen).


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #775  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Missy-'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Beautiful PNW, United States
Posts: 192
Personally, I hope she doesn't wear a tiara or if she does I would like to see something newly acquired, like Sarah of York's when she married. That was a second son's wife and I think her tiara suited her very well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #776  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
The Queen Adelaide's Fringe Tiara may be a Queen only tiara, but Queen Elizabeth II has not been seen wearing tiara.
Whether or not she has worn it is irrelevant. Once it's reserved for Queens only, I don't think any monarch would deviate from that regardless if she likes the piece herself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #777  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Personally, I hope she doesn't wear a tiara or if she does I would like to see something newly acquired, like Sarah of York's when she married. That was a second son's wife and I think her tiara suited her very well.
I wouldn't mind if they acquired something to pass down Harry's line in the future. However, Sarah's case is no way an indication of how it's traditionally done. There was no precedent until then as the royal bride's family usually had their own family tiara to wear on wedding day. Sarah borrowed the piece from Gerard as her family didn't have a tiara and was a family friend. After that, the Queen acquired the piece and some other jewelry for her. It'd be odd if it got sent back to the jeweler and anyone can buy the Duchess' wedding tiara. Sophie got a "new" tiara, but that's only new in the sense that it was newly created. All the jewels used were already in the vault. The fear of something new is that the craftsmanship just isn't there anymore and it would end up something like Sophie's disaster tiara.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #778  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
Please please please NO 'created' tiara....if she must have a 'new' one let them purchase (or have purchased) an existing tiara from a private sale or auction.



LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #779  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Missy-'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Beautiful PNW, United States
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I wouldn't mind if they acquired something to pass down Harry's line in the future. However, Sarah's case is no way an indication of how it's traditionally done. There was no precedent until then as the royal bride's family usually had their own family tiara to wear on wedding day. Sarah borrowed the piece from Gerard as her family didn't have a tiara and was a family friend. After that, the Queen acquired the piece and some other jewelry for her. It'd be odd if it got sent back to the jeweler and anyone can buy the Duchess' wedding tiara. Sophie got a "new" tiara, but that's only new in the sense that it was newly created. All the jewels used were already in the vault. The fear of something new is that the craftsmanship just isn't there anymore and it would end up something like Sophie's disaster tiara.
I agree, Sophie's tiara was and looks cobbled together, it's really a disaster. Something minimalist and modern looking would suit Meghan's style more I think.

It seems to me many of the tiaras in the poll are either badly in need of restoration (the Strathmore) and therefore not usable or they have been loaned to others who are now associated with them (Cartier Halo, Lover's Knot, to a lesser extent the Papyrus). The GoGBI is reserved for the Queen afaik, and the QM fringe is pretty much a queen-only tiara IMO. That leaves the Teck, the sapphire bandeau, QM's Lozenge (which I admittedly know very little about), QM's geometric bandeau (ditto on not knowing it) and the sapphire bandeau.

I think the sapphire bandeau would look pretty against Meg's dark hair, but I don't think it's very suitable for a wedding with it's large colored stone (personal preference), which leaves the Teck Crescent and the two bandeau's of which I favor the filigree bandeau if an old tiara is chosen. I still like the idea of only flowers and perhaps a small diamond tiara best suits the occasion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #780  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
From the research I've done the Filigree has been dismantled or sold. The status of the Lozenge is uknown as well.


LaRae
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017 JessRulz Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 1354 03-20-2018 07:03 PM
Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings Duchessmary Royal Jewels General Discussion 1392 04-29-2011 05:52 AM




Popular Tags
beatrice (1986- ) birthday british royal family british royal history camilla charles chris o'neill crown princess victoria current events current events thread duchess of cambridge gala dress dutch royal family earl of snowdon family general news helena hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta margarita infanta sofia iñaki iñaki urdangarín juan urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia line luxembourg meghan markle monarchy news porphyria prince charles prince daniel prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess victoria queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima royal ancestry royal geneology smith spanish jewels state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge fashion tiara uae wildlife victoria wedding of prince harry



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises