The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 6 3.59%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.99%
Papyrus Tiara 12 7.19%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 2.99%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 2.40%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 3.59%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 29 17.37%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.80%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 24 14.37%
Teck Crescent Tiara 12 7.19%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 7 4.19%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 5.39%
Antique tiara acquired for her 7 4.19%
New tiara created for her 25 14.97%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 7.78%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 654
Scroll down for interesting info on how the Spencer tiara came into that family:
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.ca/

Below is a video discussing the various royal family tiara options.

Terrible mock-up picture of Harry in a morning suit. Prince Harry will be in his military uniform, and Meghan will hopefully be wearing her own dress without her head superimposed over someone else's dress!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 7,443
I always find the inclusion of the Spencer tiara as a choice for Meghan totally absurd. It is not a royal tiara and does not belong to the Markle family

It meets no criteria whatsoever for a British royal tiara, and I should think the queen would nip that idea in the bud very quickly.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
I know I just roll my eyes about the idea of the Spencer tiara being an option.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 03-16-2018, 01:14 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Look at this beautiful photoshopped idea for a re-design of the tiara - it looks like it's the same jewels and metal, just with the crescents rotated 90 degrees.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/70/21/23/7...56d2966cc8.jpg
Actually looks better this way. But that tiara looks the same size as Kates and I assumed Meghan's would be smaller.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,185
There is no rule or evidence that the proximity to the Throne [place in the line of Succession] has ANY bearing on the size of Wedding Tiara. It has more to do with availability and stylistic preference, I think.

Princess Margaret's was a WHOPPER, but she was already third in line, when she married, whereas HMQ's was of fairly modest size, despite being THE Heir.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 03-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
I hope she picks one that compliments her overall look.



LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 3,654
The narrator expressed that the Strathmore Rose Tiara could be loaned to Meghan long term.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 03-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salzburg, Austria
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
What if the Queen or Prince Charles "bought back" this Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara from The Duke and Duchess of Kent (on the picture worn by their daughter Lady Helen Taylor at her wedding)... As the Duchess have retired and does not attend galas anymore.....

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Lady Helen Taylor's Gown

I am sure that there are a few tiaras around in the Kent, Gloucester, Harewood and maybe also Fife-families with Royal history that could be bought back for the right money.
This tiara still belongs to the Kent family as far as I know.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salzburg, Austria
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Scroll down for interesting info on how the Spencer tiara came into that family:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor

Below is a video discussing the various royal family tiara options.

Terrible mock-up picture of Harry in a morning suit. Prince Harry will be in his military uniform, and Meghan will hopefully be wearing her own dress without her head superimposed over someone else's dress!
The photoshop picture is from Peter Phillips and Autumn Kellys' wedding
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
This tiara still belongs to the Kent family as far as I know.
It indeed is. Hans was suggesting 'what if' the queen bought it back. To save the chances of the tiara being sold off in auction when the couple die, like Margaret's tiara was. I don't see the couple selling it when they are still attending events, or the queen buying a new tiara for Meghan anyways.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It indeed is. Hans was suggesting 'what if' the queen bought it back. To save the chances of the tiara being sold off in auction when the couple die, like Margaret's tiara was. I don't see the couple selling it when they are still attending events, or the queen buying a new tiara for Meghan anyways.
On reflection I think it would be nice for Meghan to have her own tiara. It becomes a family heirloom that way. Also, it would likely be more in keeping with Meghan's style and taste.

The above said, who would be the most likely to do such a purchase and gift? The Queen or Prince Charles? I would assume it wouldn't be Harry.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
On reflection I think it would be nice for Meghan to have her own tiara. It becomes a family heirloom that way. Also, it would likely be more in keeping with Meghan's style and taste.

The above said, who would be the most likely to do such a purchase and gift? The Queen or Prince Charles? I would assume it wouldn't be Harry.
Unlike his father and Charles, Harry doesn't have a lot of liquid assets. His trust fund supports him and will for years to come. Unlike his brother, he wont have a duchy to pay for his future. Its highly unlikely he would drop a lot of money on a tiara. So yes, it would be more likely to be Charles or the queen. The queen purchased for Sophie, but then again Sophie was her daughter in law. So maybe Charles, if a new tiara was actually bought.

Family heirlooms are good but an heirloom that is not likely to be used? Besides Meghan, and possibly a daughter, a tiara would never be worn but for weddings. It stands to be sold like Margaret's and many other royal pieces that went out of the royal line. It would make sense to give her a piece of jewelry that she and generations to come, could wear for events of all kinds, less likely to be sold. There are plenty of royal tiaras for Meghan to wear. And if she has a daughter, and the daughter needs a tiara like for a coronation, then she likely will be loaned one as well.

Honestly there is also the message 'Meghan isn't really accepted by the royals, they wont allow her to tarnish one of their tiaras' that would be bounced around.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,896
Thanks for the detailed response, Countessmeout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Unlike his father Charles, Harry doesn't have a lot of liquid assets. His trust fund supports him and will for years to come. Unlike his brother, he won't have a duchy to pay for his future. Its highly unlikely he would drop a lot of money on a tiara. So yes, it would be more likely to be Charles or the queen. The queen purchased for Sophie, but then again Sophie was her daughter in law. So maybe Charles, if a new tiara was actually bought.
Part of me wants to see what Meghan would choose if she had complete freedom when it comes to style. I am betting that whatever she chooses, bought or picked out, will be sleek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Family heirlooms are good but an heirloom that is not likely to be used? Besides Meghan, and possibly a daughter, a tiara would never be worn but for weddings. It stands to be sold like Margaret's and many other royal pieces that went out of the royal line.
Was the tiara that was sold the one Margaret wore at her wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It would make sense to give her a piece of jewelry that she and generations to come, could wear for events of all kinds, less likely to be sold. There are plenty of royal tiaras for Meghan to wear. And if she has a daughter, and the daughter needs a tiara like for a coronation, then she likely will be loaned one as well.
Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Honestly there is also the message 'Meghan isn't really accepted by the royals, they won't allow her to tarnish one of their tiaras' that would be bounced around.
True. It's remarkable the number of nay-sayers out there. Startles me.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Unlike his father and Charles, Harry doesn't have a lot of liquid assets. His trust fund supports him and will for years to come. Unlike his brother, he wont have a duchy to pay for his future. Its highly unlikely he would drop a lot of money on a tiara. So yes, it would be more likely to be Charles or the queen. The queen purchased for Sophie, but then again Sophie was her daughter in law. So maybe Charles, if a new tiara was actually bought.

Family heirlooms are good but an heirloom that is not likely to be used? Besides Meghan, and possibly a daughter, a tiara would never be worn but for weddings. It stands to be sold like Margaret's and many other royal pieces that went out of the royal line. It would make sense to give her a piece of jewelry that she and generations to come, could wear for events of all kinds, less likely to be sold. There are plenty of royal tiaras for Meghan to wear. And if she has a daughter, and the daughter needs a tiara like for a coronation, then she likely will be loaned one as well.

Honestly there is also the message 'Meghan isn't really accepted by the royals, they wont allow her to tarnish one of their tiaras' that would be bounced around.
Charles is quite wealthy himself. It would be just natural for him to buy a new tiara for his daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. In recent times, Sarah, Sophie, Claire, Mary, Sofia, just to name a few notable cases, all got new tiaras, while other brides were loaned or given royal family heirlooms.

Meghan will have a need for a "working tiara" for the rest of her (married) life as she will have to attend state banquets and/or other tiara events at least twice a year or so. Moreover, any future descendants of Harry and Meghan are likely to keep some of the family jewels they will inherit. The Kents and the Gloucesters certainly still own quite a lot of historic pieces, despite financial concerns that might have tempted them to sell them otherwise, and I am sure that is also the case even for more collateral branches of the Royal Family like Princess Mary's descendants.

Keep in mind that, if Harry and Meghan have a son, not only will he be a prince when Charles becomes king, but also he will inherit his father's dukedom, which will then pass to his male heir and so on, possibly for several generations. Most aristocratic families in the UK own family tiaras, why should the Sussex family be different ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salzburg, Austria
Posts: 493
Meghan will be the wife of the second son of the POW - so more close to the throne than e.g. Prince Edward when he married. Still Sophie got a tiara. (Not commenting on what she got ). I think they will purchase something for Meghan, like they did for Sarah. Something for her and her children to keep. If this line of the BRF will sell it lateron (as the Kents and Gloucesters did), nobody will shout.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
whatever she chooses, bought or picked out, will be sleek.
'Sleek' Tiara's are 'as rare as Hens teeth', unlike Floral ones which [historically] appealed to more 'Ladies'..In the Royal collection only Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau, and the Princess Royal's 'Greek Key' fit into that category, and only the Sapphire Bandeau is [potentially] available..
Outside the BRF collection such Tiaras are just as rare.. the Chaumet's made for Princess Yusupov [just before the Russian Revolution] would qualify, as would the ravishing [but severe] Blackened steel, Diamond and Ruby Tiara by Faberge..
Beyond them 'I draw a blank' !
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
Personally not a fan of many of the floral or overly 'girly' tiaras. Not a fan of the Strathmore at all..hope to not see that.

Love the idea of the Lozenge Bandeau if it's still around. Love the Sapphire bandeau but don't think it likely for her to wear it. The filigree bandeau another nice option if still around.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,185
I like the Lozenge Bandeau too, but is more in the nature of a 'Headband' than Tiara imo...[very 'diddy' ] and more fitting for an 18 year old, than a '30something'
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,309
Couldn't it be worn more on the head?

I just hope the tiara 'matches' the dress.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 7,443
Somehow I think the designer is shown the tiara so the dress and tiara compliment each other. They are also shown the wedding venue to ensure the gown is not too large or small for the venue.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017 JessRulz Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 1354 03-20-2018 07:03 PM
Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings Duchessmary Royal Jewels General Discussion 1392 04-29-2011 05:52 AM




Popular Tags
beatrice (1986- ) birthday british royal family british royal history camilla charles chris o'neill crown princess victoria current events current events thread duchess of cambridge gala dress dutch royal family earl of snowdon family general news helena hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta margarita infanta sofia iñaki iñaki urdangarín juan urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia line luxembourg meghan markle monarchy news porphyria prince charles prince daniel prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess victoria queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima royal ancestry royal geneology smith spanish jewels state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge fashion tiara uae wildlife victoria wedding of prince harry



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises