The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 8 3.88%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.43%
Papyrus Tiara 14 6.80%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 1.94%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 43 20.87%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.46%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 33 16.02%
Teck Crescent Tiara 14 6.80%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 11 5.34%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 4.37%
Antique tiara acquired for her 9 4.37%
New tiara created for her 26 12.62%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 6.31%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Majesty

The Fife..no way. Gorgeous tiara but going on display and too big for Meghan's wedding.

LaRae

Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Courtier

I dunno...why wear something so obviously expensive and with such history if you aren't saying something about the family, their wealth and history.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
The Spencer tiara was never Diana’s. it’s the property of the Earls Spencer, currently Diana’s brother, Charles. So there’s no way William or Harry could inherit it.

It is Diana’s family tiara and she’d often borrow it from her father and then brother. She never owned it outright.

Wasn't that partly the reason she and her brother had a falling out?
Because after he succeeded to the title, he insisted she return the tiara so his wife could have it?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Meghan will wear a tiara that will be associated with her. Like for Kate the halo scroll was brought out of the vaults, we can expect a tiara not seen in a long time for Meghan.

My guesses are: The Strathmore rose tiara, Teck circle tiara or Queen Mary’s Diamond Lozenge bandeau.

This will also be her go to tiara, since other tiaras are in use by other members of the family.
I think Meghan should be given a new tiara like Sarah was, and then that would become her go to (perhaps only) tiara and would be owned by her personally. The tiaras in the Queen's main collection should be reserved in the next generation to the wives of Prince Charles and Prince William. The Queen might also want to leave some pieces to her various granddaughters, who are family after all, even though they probably won't be attending many tiara events in their lives.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Meghan should even wear a tiara let alone be given a brand new one.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-24-2018, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't think Meghan should even wear a tiara let alone be given a brand new one.
Do you mean she shouldn't wear a tiara at her wedding, or that she should never wear a tiara ? Whether she wears it at the wedding or not, she will need a tiara in the future as Harry's wife as she is most likely going to attend tiara events like state banquets. It is better then to have her own tiara than to borrow one or dig into the royal vault, which, in the future, will mean asking Camilla or Kate.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Why not? Is there some kind of rule in play?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Courtier

IMHO - she will wear a tiara ; as bride of the younger son of the POW she is close enought to the core royal family. She will also attend white tie events in the future, thus she will need one. My guess - a new tiara will be purchased for her, to stay with her and her potential children.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Why not? Is there some kind of rule in play?
No there is no rule about it at all.

LaRae
Old 01-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Wasn't that partly the reason she and her brother had a falling out?

Because after he succeeded to the title, he insisted she return the tiara so his wife could have it?

That is right. The Earls then wife wore the tiara for her wedding, and really didn’t have much use for it after that. However, the earl wasn’t happy to let Diana use it.
This and also he wouldn’t let her live in a house on the althorp estate, is why they fell out
Old 01-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
IMHO - she will wear a tiara ; as bride of the younger son of the POW she is close enought to the core royal family. She will also attend white tie events in the future, thus she will need one. My guess - a new tiara will be purchased for her, to stay with her and her potential children.
Probably, their children won't ever have a need for it due to their place in line/title ...and there are so few tiara events other than their own wedding, most likely they'd never wear it.

LaRae
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Their children and grandchildren could use it as the family's wedding tiara. And if they are smart enough to buy a versatile necklace-tiara the necklace version can certainly be worn by future generations. And if a newly bought tiara will be sold in a generation or two: so what? The money generated from the sale will be an asset for the descendants, while Meghan got some use out of the tiara during her lifetime. Imo, that's no bad deal, as long as no generations-old royal heirloom goes away from the mainline, I don't mind at all.

On the other hand I find it devastating to thing about all the unused tiaras in the royal vault! They should be used, shining in the candle light of the few state banquets there are. I'd just love to see more jewels, including tiaras, being loaned out to all the female family members. I'd just love to see Meghan wear a tiara with a royal history.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That is right. The Earls then wife wore the tiara for her wedding, and really didn’t have much use for it after that. However, the earl wasn’t happy to let Diana use it.
This and also he wouldn’t let her live in a house on the althorp estate, is why they fell out
He has always seemed like a crankypants sort of dude.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
crankypants sort
The Spencer's [practically without exception] have been like that, it might almost be the motto on their 'Armorial achievement'..
Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

No need to badmouth Charles Spencer....back to Meghan Markle
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Courtier

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Mary’s Lozenge Bandeau

Some rare photos (and videos) of Princess Margaret wearing the Lozenge Bandeau.

Awww it's stunning. The photo of Margaret in 1950 is so gorgeous. It's called bandeau but actually looks like a mini kokoshnik, I think it will look so well with a veil like most of the kokoshnik.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Oh, I had never seen those last few photos of Margaret wearing the Lozenge Bandeau. How lovely. The Lozenge was my first choice for Meghan before I saw that photoshopped image of her in the Teck Crescent. If the Lozenge is still around though, I think it would be a more likely choice than the Crescent
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

I’m surprised that Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau has the most votes. To me, I don’t think it would make a good wedding tiara.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I've forgotten what I voted for but I now feel that (of the choices) the Papyrus Tiara would be the best.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Majesty

To be honest I love the lotus tiara. It has always been a top one for me. I would love to see Meghan wearing it. Now that Kate seems to be wearing the lovers knott, I do hope the papyrus/lotus wont disappear. Be great on Meghan. Though some of the hidden ones are lovely as well, and would be nice to make a reappearance.

Closed Thread