The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 4 3.01%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 3.76%
Papyrus Tiara 10 7.52%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 3.76%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 3 2.26%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 4.51%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 25 18.80%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 2 1.50%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 19 14.29%
Teck Crescent Tiara 11 8.27%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 5 3.76%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 8 6.02%
Antique tiara acquired for her 6 4.51%
New tiara created for her 15 11.28%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 9 6.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I still think Meghan might skip the tiara in favor of hair jewelry.

Nor do I think she'll wear a veil, since it's not considered appropriate for a second wedding, and I expect the BRF to follow the etiquette.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Courtier

The queen may order a parure for Meghan as a wedding gift, just like she did with Fergie.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't think Harry would ever ask.
For one thing, I don't believe he and William are very close with Charles Spencer.

They didn't even attend his wedding, although they were both in the UK at the time.
Which of their uncle's weddings-the third one?

Harry was a page boy at the first one.

I said before-the story would be about how terrible the BRF was that Meghan wasn't allowed to wear one of their tiaras so Harry had to borrow from his uncle.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I still think Meghan might skip the tiara in favor of hair jewelry.

Nor do I think she'll wear a veil, since it's not considered appropriate for a second wedding, and I expect the BRF to follow the etiquette.
There is no etiquette anymore about second weddings. Brides freely wear white and full veils now days regardless of previous marriages. No one bats an eye anymore.

LaRae
Old 12-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Which of their uncle's weddings-the third one?

Harry was a page boy at the first one.

I said before-the story would be about how terrible the BRF was that Meghan wasn't allowed to wear one of their tiaras so Harry had to borrow from his uncle.
Yes, the third one to Karen Villeneuve.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There is no etiquette anymore about second weddings. Brides freely wear white and full veils now days regardless of previous marriages. No one bats an eye anymore.

LaRae
There's still etiquette, even if many choose to disregard it.
I just don't think the BRF will disregard it.

Of course, I may be wrong.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With this wedding being one that marries Meghan into the British royal family, the Spencer tiara would be an absolute no go for the simple reason that the person that owns the Spencer tiara (Charles Spencer) and the Spencer relatives actually no longer has any real ties to the British royal family other than Harry and William being related through their mother.

When Diana and Charles divorced, the Spencer family remain as related as ever to the boys (and hopefully a close relationship) but as far as the British royal family is concerned, they are the family of The Prince of Wales' first wife. So the Spencer tiara, from this angle, would not be appropriate for Harry and Meghan's wedding at all.

With this in mind, it is almost a certainty that if Meghan wears any tiara with provenance, it will be one with provenance to the British royal family that she is marrying into. Its just logical. Nothing to do with Diana but in keeping with what this wedding is all about.

I do think that Meghan will wear a veil. If she doesn't, I don't believe we'll see a tiara but rather perhaps a brooch of provenance that belongs to the Queen used as a hair jewel. There are really so many ways that Meghan can go and be totally unique on her wedding day but yet fashion in all the traditions of a royal bride. I can imagine even wearing a circlet of myrtle. The myrtle flower is quite beautiful. Can't get more traditional than that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Myrt...8lQkJlXyHzfcM:

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

I just looked up a picture of Meghan's first wedding and since that wasn't in a church but on a beach, I see no reason for her not to wear a veil. Neither do I see a reason for her not to wear a tiara for that same reason.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I just looked up a picture of Meghan's first wedding and since that wasn't in a church but on a beach, I see no reason for her not to wear a veil. Neither do I see a reason for her not to wear a tiara for that same reason.

I don't see how it matters what she wore the first time?

I looked up the proper etiquette, and it says veils should not be worn for a second marriage.
I know people do it, and I doubt anyone will object if Meghan does, I'm just saying that it would go against what is supposed to be correct.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I've read, for the most part, a second marriage was usually deemed to be a "quiet" one with a civil ceremony and a luncheon afterwards. It definitely wasn't the norm for a second wedding to be a full blown formal affair. This definitely describes my second wedding in 1997. We kept it simple.

Meghan doesn't fit into this category at all. We know its going to be a grand wedding in St. George's Chapel, most likely televised and a very formal occasion as it is Harry's first marriage. Meghan would be dressed properly should she wear white, have a veil and a train. Its her prerogative to do so if she chooses to.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt they'll care, but that is my opinion.
It seems Harry and Meghan have been given more freedom and leeway than William and Kate got, not to mention he's been pushed down the succession line quite a bit since his brother got married. Harry has created a lot of goodwill and has gotten his way for some time now. If his bride wants to wear a veil, she'll wear a veil.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Yeah 30 years ago it'd be different. Not now. Now the rules are rarely observed about anything when it comes to weddings. Can't put that genie back in the bottle.

LaRae
Old 12-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Please keep the discussion on her wedding jewels. The style of the wedding can be discussed in the appropriate thread.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

Because in my ideal world, Meghan goes for a vintage 1920s look, I love the Strathmore Rose. It been a favorite of mine for years, has lovely history, hasn't been seen in ages and since it is said to be in disrepair, repairing it and gifting it to Meghan (or loaning) is similar enough to buying a new one to me.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM
Majesty

All I hope for is she has a tiara which we can see, and a proper veil if she wears one, not one that clings to her.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Majesty

I'm hoping for a beautiful veil and tiara...we'll find out in 5 months!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted the recent discussion about Meghan's father, the protocols for 2nd marriages and the possible theme for Meghan and Harry's wedding. As the earlier mod note stated, all discussion about the wedding should be taken to the appropriate threads.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The queen may order a parure for Meghan as a wedding gift, just like she did with Fergie.
There is no way. That would be such an insult to Meghan, considering how Fergie worked out. HM repeating the impersonal non-royal jewelry gift would be interpreted as HM making a decision about low expectations of the marriage ... then the media takes that cue, knowing what they do now about Sarah's non-use of royal jewels during her entire tenure as a royal. No Family Order, no .... nothing, really, Just that initial wedding gift parure. Not even temporary loans.

Royal jewels are meant to inspire national pride, send a message, set a tone, honor a guest, acknowledge an event, thank allies and legitimize new royals. If Meghan is granted the use of something of HM's early on, her path becomes easier. Harry is sharp and will see this.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Once again posts with no connection to the wedding jewels have been deleted.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
There is no way. That would be such an insult to Meghan, considering how Fergie worked out. HM repeating the impersonal non-royal jewelry gift would be interpreted as HM making a decision about low expectations of the marriage ... then the media takes that cue, knowing what they do now about Sarah's non-use of royal jewels during her entire tenure as a royal. No Family Order, no .... nothing, really, Just that initial wedding gift parure. Not even temporary loans.

Royal jewels are meant to inspire national pride, send a message, set a tone, honor a guest, acknowledge an event, thank allies and legitimize new royals. If Meghan is granted the use of something of HM's early on, her path becomes easier. Harry is sharp and will see this.
I really don't think gifting a wedding tiara or parure indicates an insult to Meghan. Fergie certainly wasn't the only one to get a wedding tiara. Sophie did as well, and that's worked out pretty well. One person hardly makes a pattern. That also doesn't mean that Meghan wouldn't be loan other jewels from HMQ in the future. It's more of not loaning extensive and historical pieces to those not in the direct line, which is consistent with Sophie. After two years of full time royal work, Meghan is likely to be given a family order or if Charles ascends to the throne, all full time working member of the royal family will be given his family order. But regardless, gifting a new tiara for the wedding is more of giving Harry's line something to pass down rather than insulting Meghan.