The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 4 3.01%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 3.76%
Papyrus Tiara 10 7.52%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 3.76%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 3 2.26%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 4.51%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 25 18.80%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 2 1.50%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 19 14.29%
Teck Crescent Tiara 11 8.27%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 5 3.76%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 8 6.02%
Antique tiara acquired for her 6 4.51%
New tiara created for her 15 11.28%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 9 6.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Another option for Meghan would be an American tiara. Around the time people refer to as the Gilded age, plenty of American ladies had tiaras.

President McKinley's wife's tiara was a winged diamond thing. Diamond wings.

Because of the popularity of a certain Wagner opera, jewelers started making winged tiaras and aigrettes.

For Meghan, it would be great if some big-shot came across with a boffo socko American tiara. Like that emerald one by Paulding Farnham. I see her as an emerald lady.
And I'm sure that would go over big-time with the British public...not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Here’s a thought How about she knows she doesn’t want to wear a tiara and is offered one by HM, I doubt she’d say no thanks.
I for one don't think the tiara business happens in a vacuum. I think they talk about it, maybe extensively. I don't think an offer would come without the Queen knowing that Meghan would welcome it and take her up on it. But then there is the larger issue of how the tiara is picked out. The Queen just doesn't pop over to 'the Cottage' and leave the tiara on the coffee table ("Meghan, I have this old thing for you to use or not use as you wish.' )

Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 AM
Nobility

I would love to know how the tiara is picked.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Maybe. That would work. It all depends on the dress. Depends on a lot.

How would you say the decision making will be driven? I'd say her headpiece preference (tiara, veil) will drive the dress (train, fit, volume) will drive the accessories. I give this sequence because the tiara-or-no-tiara is a main component.

If the dress/train is the major component, then of course it drives the headpiece/veil.

The dress has to fit the venue, it has to fit the occasion (and the more modest style expectations) and work with the tiara. All the pieces have to fit together...and not to mention the high expectations of millions of folks who will be watching!

No pressure!!!

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I would love to know how the tiara is picked.
Well Lady N and I think that Meghan and the Queen have tea and Henry's uncle (by marriage) presents them on a silver tray for her to choose.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Nobility

I hope with scones!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I’m going with tiara/veil. I say again, I bet she wows is all
I've only see a few pics of her wearing something I didn't care for...so I fully expect to be wow'd!

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I hope with scones!
A proper tea with jam, scones, clotted cream etc

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Nobility

We will be Pranter. I’m now hoping for the Teck. I think it will be lovely in St. George’s with perhaps a few surprises thrown in.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:48 AM
Majesty

Yes the Teck Crescent, the Lozenge or Lotus..I'd be happy with any of those.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Nobility

Just to have the choice is incredible. To actually look at the tiaras at the same time—she’s in for some treat!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well Lady N and I think that Meghan and the Queen have tea and Henry's uncle (by marriage) presents them on a silver tray for her to choose.

LaRae
Talking Baron fellowes? I thought he retired from royal service years ago

But a good cup of English tea, clotted cream and scones, introduce Meghan to proper English tea fair, and the tiaras on display to choose, I can see
Old 12-09-2017, 02:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well Lady N and I think that Meghan and the Queen have tea and Henry's uncle (by marriage) presents them on a silver tray for her to choose. LaRae
Ah, yes, I recall this scenario. Did you ever say who 'Henry's uncle (by marriage)' is?

Quote:
We will be Pranter. I’m now hoping for the Teck. I think it will be lovely in St. George’s with perhaps a few surprises thrown in.
Teck is looking good.

But more interesting would be a tiara made especially for Meghan from the wealth of jewels the BRF owns. Something really sleek and interesting could happen, I think.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:08 AM
Nobility

Now that would be a surprise Lady Nimue if they made one from the jewels. Interesting...
Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Now that would be a surprise Lady Nimue if they made one from the jewels. Interesting...
Did it for Sophie, so certainly not out of the question.

Looking at CP Mary's new necklace tiara, it can be done much better.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 AM
Nobility

Not nice to say I didn’t think her tiara was nice
Old 12-09-2017, 03:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Ah, yes, I recall this scenario. Did you ever say who 'Henry's uncle (by marriage)' is?

Teck is looking good.

But more interesting would be a tiara made especially for Meghan from the wealth of jewels the BRF owns. Something really sleek and interesting could happen, I think.
No, she needs a recognizable British Royal Family tiara, otherwise, it sends out signals of low expectations. The family and palace staff know how this will play out, and I suspect they are rooting for her to acquire a known tiara. It's easier all around for them ...and her. For her to wear something other than one of HM's tiaras sends an ominous and unpleasant message, intended or not.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 AM
Majesty

Keeping that in mind, it will not be a tiara walking up the aisle. It will be Meghan and the tiara is just part of the package. I'd hate to be in the same situation I was after the Cambridge wedding where the most memorable thing for me was the reappearance of the Halo Scroll Tiara!.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 AM
Majesty

IMO that speaks as much to the dress as to the tiara. Kate's dress was meh, nothing memorable but the ill fitted bust. I remember people actually saying Pippa's dress was a better wedding dress. The tiara though small and under whelming, still was the most exciting. Both because it was first time seen in years, and first time Kate wore one.

Hopefully Meghan's dress leaves more of an impression then Kate's did. Can hope for a memorable 'whole package' in a good way.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

For sure 'whole package', yes, but what I was exploring was how that 'whole package' plays out in planning. What comes first: chicken or the egg; tiara/veil or dress/train? Every artistic creation starts with a spark, a detail, that then drives the whole.

To me Catherine's tiara and veil were the weakest aspect of her entire 'look'. The veil was too close to her hair and face, among other 'issues', but over time the (negative) impression lessens. I just recently watched the wedding and Catherine is so clearly happy (and nervous), William is so clearly delighted, that her 'homemade' presentation becomes very sweet to watch.

I suspect Meghan's 'presentation' will be more polished because of her background (obviously).
Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Teck is looking good.

Baron Fellowes (out of retirement)!

I would like them to use what the BRF has on hand either already intact or creating a new one out of existing jewels...especially if they can incorporate more personal jewels (as they did the wedding ring, so pleased with that being done for it) to create one.

My first choice is for her to use one of the known (or known but not seen in decades) tiaras though.

LaRae