The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 4 3.45%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 4.31%
Papyrus Tiara 10 8.62%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 4.31%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 2 1.72%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 5.17%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 22 18.97%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 0 0%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 18 15.52%
Teck Crescent Tiara 9 7.76%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 3 2.59%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 6 5.17%
Antique tiara acquired for her 5 4.31%
New tiara created for her 12 10.34%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I know I’m jumping in here. Stink at posting pics, I just looked up mrs Grenville s jewels. I like the iridescent beetle parure. When you get that vault key give a holler!
Aarg! Not for a wedding, pleeeaaaseee!!! But it's in the British Museum, so I daresay that Meghan is pretty save.

I still find it hard to make up my mind whether Meghan will get her own tiara or wear the lozenge bandeau. But of the Brit tiaras, the lozenge certainly is my first choice. It would look great on her, and it would not be so much associated with QEQM. That would make it a great choice for the bride of a younger son.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I know I’m jumping in here. Stink at posting pics, I just looked up mrs Grenville s jewels. I like the iridescent beetle parure. When you get that vault key give a holler!
Now that Beetle Tiara is something else...how grand that could be with the right dress!

I just wonder (and it's a sickening thought really) how many grand tiaras (and other jewelry sets) were broken up over the last 100 or so years.

I'm still in mourning over the Nyzam of Hyderabad tiara:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara

Would love to see Meghan or Kate in this one!

If we get the key Missjersey I'll let you know...or maybe we can call on the Kingsmen to get us in by stealth?

LaRae

Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Aarg! Not for a wedding, pleeeaaaseee!!! But it's in the British Museum, so I daresay that Meghan is pretty save.

I still find it hard to make up my mind whether Meghan will get her own tiara or wear the lozenge bandeau. But of the Brit tiaras, the lozenge certainly is my first choice. It would look great on her, and it would not be so much associated with QEQM. That would make it a great choice for the bride of a younger son.

We can only hope the Lozenge is still intact...that is one of the better ones I've seen.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What is the proper type of base if the Strathmore Rose Tiara was used and a base was used? Could you please include an illustration?
I posted before that I think that if the Strathmore Rose Tiara was modified to add a jewel base like what is on the Teck Crescent Tiara that would be a fantastic enhancement!

ETA:
Strathmore Rose Tiara
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fTJ-jwC0Tv...hmore_rose.jpg
(source)

Teck Crescent Tiara
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l8ZVpRHT1B...0/scan0025.jpg
(source)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Now that Beetle Tiara is something else...how grand that could be with the right dress!

I just wonder (and it's a sickening thought really) how many grand tiaras (and other jewelry sets) were broken up over the last 100 or so years.

I'm still in mourning over the Nyzam of Hyderabad tiara:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara

Would love to see Meghan or Kate in this one!

If we get the key Missjersey I'll let you know...or maybe we can call on the Kingsmen to get us in by stealth?

LaRae
That would look great on either of the gals for sure Pranter! The beetle I just like the color. Anyway I’ll just sit back and await that blasted key. To sit on the floor and spread out all the baubles oh my! It’s fun to imagine what’s inside.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Majesty

I agree..the S.R. would look better with a jewel base.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I tried to find a specific Greville Greek Key Tiara and this Greville and this is all I can get to pull up https://royalwatcherblog.com/2016/08...others-tiaras/ LaRae
I like the Oriental Circlet Tiara which is the first picture in the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I posted before that I think that if the Strathmore Rose Tiara was modified to add a jewel base like what is on the Teck Crescent Tiara that would be a fantastic enhancement!

Teck Crescent Tiara
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l8ZVpRHT1B...0/scan0025.jpg
(source)
Really like the Teck Crescent Tiara in that picture.

Still, both are a lot methinks for a first tiara. I'm still holding out for a hair jewel that can 'look like' a tiara.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Majesty

Yeah the Oriental is a lot of tiara for a first time...and the Teck Crescent is just lovely..that might be an option if Camilla has 'returned' it. I prefer that to the Strathmore Rose.

Are you talking about like a snood that is jeweled?

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yeah the Oriental is a lot of tiara for a first time...and the Teck Crescent is just lovely..that might be an option if Camilla has 'returned' it. I prefer that to the Strathmore Rose.

Are you talking about like a snood that is jeweled? LaRae
Hadn't thought of that. Thinking more a large hair jewel that covers part of the head maybe, or weaves into the hair.

None of these in this link are what I am envisioning but along these lines: https://www.etsy.com/market/bridal_hair_jewelry

I have already picked out her dress and it would look great without a veil, but with hair up and a simple tiara (maybe with flowers matched to her bouquet).
Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Majesty

Hmmm some of those are pretty but how do they work with a veil?

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I like the Oriental Circlet Tiara which is the first picture in the link.

Really like the Teck Crescent Tiara in that picture.

Still, both are a lot methinks for a first tiara. I'm still holding out for a hair jewel that can 'look like' a tiara.

Queen Mary had at least 2 aigrettes that have not been seen since she was Duchess of York. I always wondered what happened to them.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Majesty

I am sorry but the idea she is going to forego a tiara for a floral wreath ala 1980's/boho chiq

The message that will be sent to many if Meghan doesn't have some tiara 'The queen was forced to accept her. She is not fully welcome in the family. The divorcee was refused a tiara' and so on and so on. I don't see Meghan being the one to break the tiara tradition in the family.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Nobility

A hair jewel would be pretty. She could clip the veil off. I would imagine the veil would have a comb or hidden barrette
Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Are you talking about like a snood that is jeweled?

LaRae

No, no, no. Shades of Fergie's hairnets and giant bows.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hmmm some of those are pretty but how do they work with a veil? LaRae
The link was just to give the idea, I am thinking something far more substantial. If she did a hair jewel then there could be a veil, like some that fan out from the up-do, but I'm thinking no veil for her, especially if she gets a tiara.

I see Meghan as a woman of the world, not a 'blushing bride'. Something simple but definitely elegant, simple and lush at the same time to befit the venue and the circumstance. But not fussy, no veil: that would be a show-stopper! . But without a veil she'd have to have a really nice (but not overwhelming) tiara. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Queen Mary had at least 2 aigrettes that have not been seen since she was Duchess of York. I always wondered what happened to them.
Ah, now there is an idea, though I wouldn't want to see Meghan going for a retro look.

https://www.chaumet.com/news/a-story-of-aigrettes

Wouldn't it be fun if Meghan dug into her ethnicity and came up with something unique for her head piece? Harry has given fair warning that things will be different. They are a couple who will not be in line-of-sight of the throne. They could do some interesting things.

How I would love for her not to be predictable! Elegant, tasteful, but unique!

Quote:
A hair jewel would be pretty. She could clip the veil off. I would imagine the veil would have a comb or hidden barrette
Endless possibilities.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 AM
Majesty

I'd be pretty surprised if she wasn't wearing a veil too...a very sheer one maybe.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Nobility

I’m going with tiara/veil. I say again, I bet she wows is all
Old 12-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'd be pretty surprised if she wasn't wearing a veil too...a very sheer one maybe. LaRae
Maybe. That would work. It all depends on the dress. Depends on a lot.

How would you say the decision making will be driven? I'd say her headpiece preference (tiara, veil) will drive the dress (train, fit, volume) will drive the accessories. I give this sequence because the tiara-or-no-tiara is a main component.

If the dress/train is the major component, then of course it drives the headpiece/veil.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 AM
Nobility

Another option for Meghan would be an American tiara. Around the time people refer to as the Gilded age, plenty of American ladies had tiaras.

President McKinley's wife's tiara was a winged diamond thing. Diamond wings.

Because of the popularity of a certain Wagner opera, jewelers started making winged tiaras and aigrettes.

For Meghan, it would be great if some big-shot came across with a boffo socko American tiara. Like that emerald one by Paulding Farnham. I see her as an emerald lady.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 AM
Nobility

Here’s a thought How about she knows she doesn’t want to wear a tiara and is offered one by HM, I doubt she’d say no thanks.