The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 4 3.45%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 4.31%
Papyrus Tiara 10 8.62%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 5 4.31%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 2 1.72%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 6 5.17%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 22 18.97%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 0 0%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 18 15.52%
Teck Crescent Tiara 9 7.76%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 3 2.59%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 6 5.17%
Antique tiara acquired for her 5 4.31%
New tiara created for her 12 10.34%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
AN ART DECO DIAMOND TIARA, BY CARTIER | Christie's

Cyril found this one...quite pretty!

LaRae
Yeah this one is gorgeous. I feel like I've seen it on sale before already.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Yeah this one is gorgeous. I feel like I've seen it on sale before already.
The Christie's states 2012 as the date of the auction. So the tiara is a really unlikely candidate.

I think that if a tiara is acquired for Meghan, it won't be at auction. They might prefer a private and discrete transaction, so that there won't be a price tag left on the internet.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Currently in the window of Bentley & Skinner
https://postimg.org/image/sc2o03msr/
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Majesty

Well that is certainly regal looking

LaRae
Old 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Royal Highness

Remind me a little of Sarah `ferguson's wedding tiara but with less "openness".
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 PM
Majesty

I haven't seen a Bentley skinner one I like yet. Not my taste at all I guess.

I really love the lotus tiara. And if she is going to have one tiara to wear for some time, I'd love the lotus to get some more active use.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post
Love it, Again just amazing. However, Meghan just getting into the firm. It maybe over stating it . I would love to see her in it.
If they are to purchase one for her, and they likely are, it won't be a starter tiara, so her just getting into the firm won't play a role. That tiara is the one that will be passed down the line. However, I don't really see that tiara happening. It's a bit gaudy.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

I would think that the Strathmore Rose would look very nice if a base is added to it. I highly doubt Meghan will wear the bandeau style. It can feel fussy with all of that. It's not as thin as Diana's emerald choker. I also think the Strathmore Rose will get lost in all of that hair if worn on top of the head. I'd like to see it with a base.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

That tiara is pretty, but since it has colored stones, it is not acceptable for her wedding,
Though maybe it could be purchased to be used later, and she could borrow one from the collection to wear for the wedding.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That tiara is pretty, but since it has colored stones, it is not acceptable for her wedding,
Though maybe it could be purchased to be used later, and she could borrow one from the collection to wear for the wedding.
Various brides have worn coloured diadems at weddings:

Princess Clotilde di Savoia

Princess Philomena d'Orléans

Princess Sofia of Sweden

Princess Isabelle de Ligne de la Trémoïlle

Princess Carina von Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenborg

Doña Laura Ponte y Martínez (at her wedding with Don Luis Beltrán Gómez-Acebo y Borbón - nephew of King Juan Carlos of Spain)

Princess Olga di Savoia-Aosta
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but not the British.
They never have.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

The nature of this thread admittedly is rather speculative. Yet posting pictures and videos of any tiara that has been auctioned over the last decade or so really won't get us closer to determine which tiara Meghan actually might wear at her wedding.

Therefore some posts without connection to the British royal jewels post with no connection to jewels have been deleted.

Also some empty posts have been deleted in accordance with the TRF rules:

Quote:
Threads and posts containing information already posted will be deleted, edited, or merged at the discretion of the moderators; empty posts containing irrelevant short exclamations or comments will be deleted.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Yes, but not the British.
They never have.
Not the British, indeed. Most of the times coloured stones in bridal tiaras mean, that the family has no all-white tiara. We can't say that of the BRF.

I really hope that the lozenge bandeau is still intact. And I remember that a few years ago Princess Anne wore the 'other' Greville tiara, the one with the greek key pattern, at a State Banquet. That jewel had never before been seen worn by any of the royal ladies, yet it sat in the vault all the time. So imho, there is a good chance that the two diamond bandeau tiaras of Queen Mary also are still intact.

Btw, I hope Meghan won't get the Greville greek key tiara, because it's not the most flattering shape, imo.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I would think that the Strathmore Rose would look very nice if a base is added to it. I highly doubt Meghan will wear the bandeau style. It can feel fussy with all of that. It's not as thin as Diana's emerald choker. I also think the Strathmore Rose will get lost in all of that hair if worn on top of the head. I'd like to see it with a base.
What is the proper type of base if the Strathmore Rose Tiara was used and a base was used? Could you please include an illustration?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Not the British, indeed. Most of the times coloured stones in bridal tiaras mean, that the family has no all-white tiara. We can't say that of the BRF.

I really hope that the lozenge bandeau is still intact. And I remember that a few years ago Princess Anne wore the 'other' Greville tiara, the one with the greek key pattern, at a State Banquet. That jewel had never before been seen worn by any of the royal ladies, yet it sat in the vault all the time. So imho, there is a good chance that the two diamond bandeau tiaras of Queen Mary also are still intact.

Btw, I hope Meghan won't get the Greville greek key tiara, because it's not the most flattering shape, imo.

I thought that was one of Camillas?

If it's the one I think it is, I'm not a fan of it anyway...and it seems a bit much.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I thought that was one of Camillas?

If it's the one I think it is, I'm not a fan of it anyway...and it seems a bit much.

LaRae
Camilla's is the Greville honeycomb tiara, which was a favourite of Queen Mum. I'll look for a pic of the Greville greek key tiara. Mrs Greville also had an emerald tiara, which probably was inherited by QEQM, too, but was never seen on a royal lady. How I'd like to go exploring the vault!

Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Camilla's is the Greville honeycomb tiara, which was a favourite of Queen Mum. I'll look for a pic of the Greville greek key tiara. Mrs Greville also had an emerald tiara, which probably was inherited by QEQM, too, but was never seen on a royal lady. How I'd like to go exploring the vault!
You and me both (ie exploring the vault) ..wouldn't that be amazing???

I tried to find a specific Greville Greek Key Tiara and this Greville and this is all I can get to pull up https://royalwatcherblog.com/2016/08...others-tiaras/ The one down the page.

I found another page with Greek Key Tiaras but while they showed the Meander (Princess Anne's) they don't show another one for the BRF.

I'd love to see a pic!

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a link about the tiara. I forgot that it's more commonly addressed as the double meander tiara. Well both terms, greek key and meander, refer to the same kind of pattern, so I thought about the wrong term. Also, after checking my notes, it is not quite clear that it really is a Greville heirloom. But QEQM loaned it to an exhibition in 1961.
Tiara Mania: Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom's Double Meander Tiara

Edit: As you can see, Princess Anne wore it without the feather thingy/aigrette, which made it a bit more contemporary

Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Nobility

I know I’m jumping in here. Stink at posting pics, I just looked up mrs Grenville s jewels. I like the iridescent beetle parure. When you get that vault key give a holler!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Here's a link about the tiara. I forgot that it's more commonly addressed as the double meander tiara. Well both terms, greek key and meander, refer to the same kind of pattern, so I thought about the wrong term. Also, after checking my notes, it is not quite clear that it really is a Greville heirloom. But QEQM loaned it to an exhibition in 1961.
Tiara Mania: Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom's Double Meander Tiara

Edit: As you can see, Princess Anne wore it without the feather thingy/aigrette, which made it a bit more contemporary
Well that is better than the honeycomb but I'd rather see something else on Meghan!

That style is just not my thing.

LaRae