The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It depends if any of those were 'personal gifts'. The ones that were given on a tour, may have been Diana's for her use, but they would belong to state. We don't know which of those jewels you mention may actually be Diana's. It also takes quite a bit of money to rework a tiara.

Harry is not personally rich. Unless he wants to lose his income. It is more likely if she gets a new tiara, will be a gift from the queen or Charles.

Not sure she will get new. There will be question if she is really accepted if no family piece. Besides the BRF knows all too well, that tiaras in junior branches often get lost. In a generation or two, the tiara wont be needed, and may be sold off for inheritance taxes as many have. Harry's children, and grandchildren quite likely, will likely be loaned a tiara from Grandpa Charles, Uncle William or cousin George when or if needed.

If Diana's jewels were given to the state they would have been noted.

The jewels that she received as wedding gifts were noted and were her personal property and were a part of her estate. I am not aware of the jewels that were given on tour but would like to know more. Please elaborate.

It takes less money to rework a tiara than buy a new one considering that the bulk of the cost is based on gemstones and metals, no?

My understanding is that Harry inherited half of his mother's estate. Please provide links to your sources citing that Harry is not 'personally rich'?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 PM
Majesty

I didn't say he wasn't rich, I said he had money if he wants to lose his income. There is a difference. How does Harry fund his lifestyle???? By the interest from his inheritance from his mother. If he uses that money to buy jewels, and a house as some suggest, what is he going to live off of? The money he gets from the queen is for his staff. Is he going to rely on his dad and brother? Or perhaps live off an army pension? I highly doubt it.

Of course it would be less money to re-work old jewels. My point is it still Costs money. As you put it:

Quote:
This way she gets her own tiara to wear and pass down to her heirs and the taxpayers can't complain because it is part of Harry and William's private inheritance. I think that over time we will see her in a lot of jewels from Diana's estate.
Tax payers going to complain about any cost.

Its not a question of two options: buying a new one vs reworking old jewels. There is a third very practical option. Using one of the countless tiaras that are owned by the family.

Diana, like any royals, received gifts when they went on tour. The jewels she received for her wedding would have been personal pieces (and yes her personal pieces were split between her sons). Many jewels received by any royal member that are given as an 'official gift' belong to the royal collection. This collection passes from monarch to monarch. While they may officially wear the items for years, many of the jewels like Diana and Camilla have received would be considered 'official gifts' from tours, so the actual ownership of such pieces is questionable.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 AM
Majesty

IIRC Harry and his brother (and their cousins) rec'd money when the Queen Mother died as well.

It's not just Diana's money they have. Of course Charles will step in if needed to make a big purchase.

LaRae
Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course he largely lives off his father. and the jewels Diana got as presents would go to the Royal collection, not for her personally unless they were specifically given to her "personally".
He is unlikely to buy a house himself, it will come from the RF...
Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Diana, like any royals, received gifts when they went on tour. The jewels she received for her wedding would have been personal pieces (and yes her personal pieces were split between her sons). Many jewels received by any royal member that are given as an 'official gift' belong to the royal collection. This collection passes from monarch to monarch. While they may officially wear the items for years, many of the jewels like Diana and Camilla have received would be considered 'official gifts' from tours, so the actual ownership of such pieces is questionable.
At the time Diana received jewels on tour, they did belong to her personally. The rule that official gifts would be available to the giftee for life but legally belong to the royal collection did not come into place until after Charles and Camilla married in 2005. I remember the DF making a big fuss about the Middle Eastern jewelry Camilla received in 2006 (the emerald, sapphire, and ruby parures specifically) once she began wearing it, and it was after that that the new "rule" was put into place.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course he largely lives off his father. and the jewels Diana got as presents would go to the Royal collection, not for her personally unless they were specifically given to her "personally".
He is unlikely to buy a house himself, it will come from the RF...
The boys inherited all of Diana's personal jewelry, which is a considerable amount.

LaRae
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 AM
Gentry

Catherine has worn a bracelet made from one of Queen Mary's chokers. I wonder if one of those could be made into a bandeau tiara for Meghan.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Catherine has worn a bracelet made from one of Queen Mary's chokers. I wonder if one of those could be made into a bandeau tiara for Meghan.
Yes, the queen mother wore the bracelet as well

There are a number of jewels in the vaults likely which could be turned into a tiara if they chose not to give her one they already have.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Tiara for Meghan

i have read that because Meghan, soon to be the wife of Prince Harry, who is ONLY a grandson, NOT a son of the Queen, nor the future King like his brother William, if ever at a state dinner Meghan would NOT be allowed a tiara . . . is this so?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlili View Post
i have read that because Meghan will be the wife of Prince Harry soon if ever at a state dinner she would NOT be allowed a tiara simply because she will be Harry's wife who is only the 'grandson' and NOT the future King like his brother William . . . is this so?
That's rubbish. Where on earth did you read that nonsense?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
is this so?
Absolutely NOT ! All Royal Women who attend State banquets wear a Tiara, no matter their position in the line of Succession.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
is this so?

No, it is not.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Not so...if Meghan wants to wear a tiara she will be given options of one of the family tiara's or possible one purchased/made for her.

LaRae
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Nobility

The only situation that a lady can't wear a tiara in a state banquet is she and her family doesn't have one. I think there is no protocol that forbid ladies with lower rank to wear tiara, as long as you have a tiara you can wear it even if you don't have any title. Meghan will be a member of Windsor so her family will lend her one.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
i have read that because Meghan, soon to be the wife of Prince Harry, who is ONLY a grandson, NOT a son of the Queen, nor the future King like his brother William, if ever at a state dinner Meghan would NOT be allowed a tiara . . . is this so?
Put it this way: Princess Michael is the wife of Prince Michael, who is the grandson of George V. Princess Michael regularly attends state dinners wearing either the Kent Festoon Tiara (which actually would be my favourite tiara except for the row of pearls added to the bottom) or the Kent City of London Fringe Tiara.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

There’s so many tiaras in the Royal Collection that haven’t seen the light of day in many years. So, of course, Meghan could surprise us by dusting something off and make it her own.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

My hope is that she wears this tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Persian Turquoise Tiara
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Majesty

Hmmm not likely, I realize it's your hope....generally they don't wear colored stones in wedding tiaras from what I understand and from what we know Meghan is not a fan of colored stones anyway.

LaRae
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Majesty

I don't see her wearing color stones. Besides it belongs to the Linleys.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 PM
Majesty

I figure she'll go diamonds...I'm hoping to see pearls too but probably not likely!

LaRae