The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Majesty

Duchessmary do you mean the Queen Mum's Sapphire Brooch Necklace? I'm not sure if that went back to the BRF or to her sons. It was given to Diana early in the marriage so I assume it was a gift...but sometimes they are just lifetime loan type of gifts so they don't go out of the family.

LaRae

Old 12-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
see her in Diana's pearl and sapphire choker.
*All in good time*, I think we shall ! I do hope she's not tempted to break it up.. if ever a there was a 'mean't to be piece created this was it.. Besides what use would the Sapphire be otherwise ? Young Women seem to eschew Brooches now, and if a Pendant were made it would [imo] be a sad diminution of the piece.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Commoner

The Dehli Durbar is such a monster tiara that I think even Camilla found it a bit much even with her hair, which tends to support tiara-wearing pretty easily.

Is it really not done to have colored stones in a bridal tiara? I'm one of those that think sapphires would look terrific on Meghan. (just like I would love amethysts on Sophie and emeralds on Kate.) The wedding gown and tiara talk is so much fun---it's like playing grown-up paper dolls.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Majesty

I've not seen any pics of Meghan wearing colored stones...so we don't know if she likes any. So far i've only seen pics of her in yellow gold, diamonds and opals (the other day).

She would look wonderful in the Sapphire Bandeau Tiara ...just doubtful she'd wear it at the wedding.

LaRae
Old 12-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Commoner

I would love to see Meghan in a diamond collet tiara and necklace.

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...ndeau.html?m=1

http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com...laces.html?m=1
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

The Cambridge emeralds would also look great on her.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
The Cambridge emeralds would also look great on her.
Which piece? They've been made into necklaces, brooches etc. I don't remember a tiara/crown?

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Which piece? They've been made into necklaces, brooches etc. I don't remember a tiara/crown?

LaRae
The only tiara they are part of is the Vladimir tiara, which can have pearl or emerald drops. It seems unlikely Meghan will receive this tiara as the Queen still wears it.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
The only tiara they are part of is the Vladimir tiara, which can have pearl or emerald drops. It seems unlikely Meghan will receive this tiara as the Queen still wears it.
Ok..I thought I missed a whole emerald tiara!

Right not likely we'll ever see her in that. When's the last time the Queen wore it (with emeralds)..anyone know?

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Aptly, during the Irish State visit..in 2014.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Majesty

Thanks!

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

Some of the Cambridge emeralds are in a choker Queen Mary hade made. That choker was given to Diana, Princess of Wales after her wedding. She wore it quite a few times, and also memorably as a headband once or twice. It is often said that it was returned to the Queen after Diana's death. It hasn't been seen on anyone since. So it's possible that it may be used by Meghan someday. Here's a picture of Diana wearing it.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/1a...841c5483a1.jpg
Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Majesty

That's the thing...some of these items were they gifts or were they just loans. We know in some cases we don't in others.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

It's still not clear after all these years. It's been said that the jewels from the Queen, Queen Mother, etc...were loans, or were outright gifts. That they were given back to the Queen at her Diana's death, or that they were given to the Queen to hold until William or Harry wanted them.

But I'd make a guess that those jewels were given to Diana, and when she died, the Queen had them stored until her grandsons wanted them back. I use the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara as a reason why I feel that way. If that tiara wasn't inherited by William and Harry, then I think Catherine would not be wearing it these days. Just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Might Queen Elizabeth II loan the Ladies of Devonshire Earrings to Meghan?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Majesty

Doesn't the Queen wear them a lot?

LaRae
Old 12-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
It's still not clear after all these years. It's been said that the jewels from the Queen, Queen Mother, etc...were loans, or were outright gifts. That they were given back to the Queen at her Diana's death, or that they were given to the Queen to hold until William or Harry wanted them.

But I'd make a guess that those jewels were given to Diana, and when she died, the Queen had them stored until her grandsons wanted them back. I use the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara as a reason why I feel that way. If that tiara wasn't inherited by William and Harry, then I think Catherine would not be wearing it these days. Just my opinion.
I believe the Cambridge Lover’s Knot was in fact a lifetime loan to Diana. It’s still part of the royal collection. I’m pretty certain the emerald choker is as well. However, there is still a chance we will see it again on either Kate or Meghan. The Queen can loan them out at her discretion. I believe we might still see some notable Diana pieces from the vault (I don’t believe they were that many as the marriage was in trouble from pretty early on) on her daughter in law and daughter in law to be. The boys seem to like to incorporate their mother’s jewelry into jewelry for their wife/wife to be. I’m sure there are also more personal pieces from Diana’s collection that we haven’t seen on Kate and we will eventually see on Meghan.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Might Queen Elizabeth II loan the Ladies of Devonshire Earrings to Meghan?
I am sure she will loan jewels to Meghan as she has Kate and the other women married in. But those seem unlikely as she frequently wears them. They seem to be her go to earrings for many events.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Pearl and Diamond Button Earrings