Lookalike Tiaras

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uriel

Commoner
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Hi, let's start a thread about the lookalike tiaras. Many tiaras, of one royal house or different royal house look alike each other.

Kent diamond fringe tiara, and the George III tiara which the Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Anne both wore on their wedding days are very identical.

Last edited by a moderator:
uriel said:
Kent diamond fringe tiara, and the George III tiara which the Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Anne both wore on their wedding days are very identical.
do you have any pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
uriel said:
Well, yes, because they are fringe tiaras and therefore of the same style and near-identical design. Virtually every Royal (and Princely) House in Europe possesses (or possessed) a fringe tiara of some sort, and they are probably the most popular form of tiara. As well as its classic look, an advantage of the fringe tiara is its versatility. It can often be easily converted to a necklace by simply removing it from the frame.

The remaining Lover's Knot tiaras are also near-identical.
The interlocking diamond circles of Queen Elizabeth's Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara were also a popular design element, as was the Greek Key motif.

Dear Members,

Another popular motif, which exists in versions all over the place was the laurel wreath or some such. While they may not all be identical there many of great similarity of style. See the Westminster collection, the floral wreath of Queen Margrethe II, the laurel wreath of the Crown Princess of Belgium and the various variants. That of the ruby parure of Queen Anne Marie of Greece and the interesting development in the form of the tiara of the Desiree Clary ruby parure currently worn by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. And so forth. Cheers.

The most popular & frequent 'lookalike' design among tiaras remains the diamond fringe or 'sunray' tiara.
Almost every Royal collection has at least one of this design.
As far as the beauty of them is concerned, I"d rate thew Swedish Baden Fringew tiara as # 1, with the Kent Fringe tiara a close second, worn these days by The Princess Michael (Marie-Christine) of Kent.

don't more than one country own a ears-of-wheat tiara or ears-of-wheat style tiara? I seem to recall a second one (other than the one worn by Pss Laurentian, Marilene, Annette, Anita, and Aimee)

Here are tiaras that threw me in a loop.

First one is Dorothy, the Marchioness of Cambridge wearing her diamond star and pearl tiara:
dorothy_marchionesscambridge.jpg

Picture scanned from Majesty vol 26. no 10 p.28. All photos from private collection

The next one is the Danish tiara worn by Queen Ingrid, Princess Benedikte and Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Benedikte's daughter)
alexandraberlburg.jpg

Picture from POLFOTO. Sorry for not knowing the photographer.

These two look so much alike I thought somehow the tiara went from England to Denmark but after seeing this photo of Princess Alexandra, I can see there are differences in the diamond tiara base. It was hard to see the base when Queen Ingrid and Princess Benedikte wore their tiara because their hairs tend to hide the base.

-Ayvee

ayvee said:
Here are tiaras that threw me in a loop.

First one is Dorothy, the Marchioness of Cambridge wearing her diamond star and pearl tiara:

The next one is the Danish tiara worn by Queen Ingrid, Princess Benedikte and Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Benedikte's daughter)

-Ayvee
Posted by Bjarne to on http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/

"The later Queen Sophie of Sweden got the tiara with pearls and stars as a wedding present from her brother, the Duke of Nassau, later Grand Duke of Luxembourg. It is thus made around 1850.
Queen Victoria of Sweden inherited the tiara from her mother-in-law and she said in her testament that the tiara should go to her only granddaughter Princess Ingrid. Queen Ingrid again left it to Princess Benedikte.
The Princess once showed it to me. The stars and pearls can't be removed as the tiara is vey delicate. It is also very light and elegant. And it has not anything to do with the English tiara even if they look alike. They are both beautiful."

I suppose I won't even get into all of the Lover's Knot motif tiaras...

The Lovers Knot tiaras are all beautiful. No wonder all of the Royal Houses had their own version of it...same goes for the fringe or sunray tiaras...Like the one depicted in my avatar...

If I could copy a tiara or two, one would be Princess Caroline of Hannover's Pearl and Diamond Tiara and the Lovers Knot Tiara with round pearls on top.

`there are a few fringe tiaras that look very much alike.
but is there any more cameo tiaras in use other then the one worn by silvia

As far as I know, the cameo tiara is really unique - there are no lookalikes around!
According to Göran Alm, it's also one of the oldest tiaras in the Swedish or any Royal House, and its history starts with your namesakes, Josefine.
It was made by French jeweler Nitot in 1809 for Empress Josephine of France who left it to Queen Josefina. The matching necklace, earrings and bracelet were added sometime after 1840 to form a full parure.
Some people have expressed their dislike of the tiara, but I couldn't disagree more; I find it to be outstanding & beautiful.

Well, dear members, another very popular form which may be similar to the fringe tiara is in the Russian style, it is called the kokoshnik. Do not hold me to the spelling as computers just fry my brain everytime I get in front of one. I get very nervous and start doing things. But the form of the kokoshnik has been located in jewelry that goes back to 300 BC or more found in the Scythian regions and the hinterland of the Black Sea areas of Russia/Ukraine.

There are some wonderful examples among the Russian Imperial collections of these bands just loaded with the most massive and striking jewels. The Russians were of the Queen Mary school. They believed the more massive the better. There is one interesting thingie that is made of cloth of gold brocade adorned with very large and wonderful pearls and the loveliest diamonds.

Further the idea of the various laurel or olive wreathes adorned with the fruits or blossoms of them in either ruby or emerald. This form exists in jewelry from ancient Greece, of which some lovely examples have been found.

The use of cameos in jewelry is an ancient form as well and was very popular during the Napoleonic era. The Swedish cameo tiara is quite unique and beautiful I would agree and the rare survivor from that era. There is a wonderful picture in the Bible (ie Tiaras a history of splendor) of Napoleon's sister (Pauline???) bedecked in a Greek key tiara of diamonds with cameos that I would just go into fits and spasms to lay mine chocolate craving eyes on. Anybody have a more current photo of it???? Cheers.

Wasn't the last tiara property of Princess Olga of Yougoslavia, nee Pss of Greece & Denmark? I believe it is actually the same tiara as pictured as the 'Diamond tiara', albeit without the lower row of 'diamants' (as they were replaced with fakes).

How about cut steel tiaras is there other tiaras of that material?

Wasn't the last tiara property of Princess Olga of Yougoslavia, nee Pss of Greece & Denmark? I believe it is actually the same tiara as pictured as the 'Diamond tiara', albeit without the lower row of 'diamants' (as they were replaced with fakes).
Yes, you're right Marengo. Description from first picture:
Made by Boucheron for a Russian aristocrat, Princess Abamelek. Later owned by Princess Olga of Greece.

:flowers:

MC and Elizabeth II both have a fringe tiara and it looks exactly the same.

I favor the glorious Cambridge tiara, but I think any one of them would look quite lovely on my head! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom