The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't have said it better, Marsel, although I tried! It truly is a horrendous parure and certainly not fit for a Queen to wear...

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

OMG what a piece of jewelry Yes, the most beautiful woman on earth would look ridiculous with it.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I saw some close up pictures of the "poppies" tiara this summer and the poppies are beautiful in their make up and with the gems. It's too bad that it was fashioned in this particular design. I also saw a huge close up the the Swedish Button Tiaras. I never liked them, but after the close up views, they're absolutely gorgeous and I love them.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Aristocracy

Oh my!!!! I had never had the...urhmmm.....(dis)pleasure of beholding this evidently infamous parure before! I had to scan the entire thread just to ensure that MII was not the actual culprit responsible for designing these monstrosities herself! I love Mr Parkman's 'Space ship Borg Queen comparison. Someone else noted that yellow gold just doesn't seem to work on QMII and I have to agree! But that does not make up for the frissons of horror one feels upon enduring another tentatively beady look at the photograph on page 1.I feel like a rabbit caught in the beam of the headlights of a very fast moving car whenever I snatch another look at that picture..... it's shocking just how awful this parure is!!!!

Everything about this golden disaster par excellence is criminally hideous! The tiara thing is simply frightful, and those huge pendulous earrings add a touch of almost maniacal menace...imagine the clink should HM turn her head rather swiftly......then again, imagine being a cousin or member of the family and having to kiss cheeks whilst trying to avoid those dangling monstrosities! The collar thing looks like something a cartoon dominatrix may select to don from her cache of such chain-like bijou trinkets!

I think QMII one the warmest and most personable monarchs to sit upon a throne today.....but perhaps she is taking her generous good nature, consideration and kindness a little too far when she dons these horrors, as perhaps she doesn't want to hurt the designer's feelings by not enduring them occasionally!!!!! I still can not believe that she has worn this lot more than once!!!!! I also think it is really rather cruel to HM that the link to the photograph has been added so liberally throughout this thread....perhaps there should be a 'Prevention of Cruelty to Queens who wear hideous jewels Act' passed by the moderators!!!! I also think the Danes should seriously think about the idea suggested here on the thread to set up an 'Anti Golden Poppies Ghastly What-not pressure group to try and persuade HM to melt the lot down and turn it into something...anything.....else!

I wonder if the grand children are frightened when Granny dons this revolting parure, I know I would have been had mine ever worn such a get-up! I would probably have had nightmares too!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Connie Cutmantle, you have taken this golden disaster to another level, indeed! Your description is beyond belief and yet so true. I cannot even begin to understand how you are able to write a description that is so vivid and to the point and a perfect description of a horror... How I wish I had your talent with words. :) Alas, I do not but I can certainly sit back and enjoy yours! Well said, and welcome to the TRF. :)
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Aristocracy

You are too kind Udyusa! Thank so much for such a warm welcome to TRF! I do hope that I didn't go a bit OTT....but I have been musing that IF QMII only dons the Golden Poppies Ghastly what-nots out of a sense of duty to demonstrate her gracious support of the home grown Danish Jewelry design industry, one can only admire Her Majesty for her fortitude and patriotism! I like to think that this may be the case as I have to admit that I have yet to come across anything quite so appalling amongst the other goodies that have outings from QMII's jewel vaults! This is a dash speculative, but I did not want to appear to be criticizing QMII, as my critique is directed solely toward the Golden Poppies bits and bobs!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Not kind, but just expressing my feelings as best I can. You do a much better job of expressing yourself than I could only Hope to... Goodness, but you are wonderful.. :)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think an individual poppy could be attractive as a brooch or as a hair ornament, but all together...yikes!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

That would be the most acceptable solution Scooter, then at least QMII could ensure that the designer's feelings wouldn't be entirely crushed when she wore the single poppy brooch! I do agree that individually the poppies appear rather delicate and I have no doubt the craftsmanship and skill required to create them is unquestioned! Perhaps the designer simply just got carried away! Perhaps as a further diplomatic ploy the rest of the poppies in brooch settings could be given to QMII's sisters, daughters in law and nieces as individual memento keepsakes, then their would be little risk of them ever being reassembled for the tiara thingy!!!!!

The earrings and choke chain thing left from the parure could then be consigned to the cruicible for something new, or they could even find their way into the grandchildren's dressing up box, for Isabelle to don for playets in the future. I do mean future, when she is old enough not to be frightened by these horrors en masse! She could perhaps play a Borg Queen in a Star Trek inspired panto in the cast offs! Then again such a plan may have some untoward effect on Isabelle's future tastes in jewelry...God forbid!!!!!! It may traumatize her to have to don the horrors... therefore I think it probably wiser that the whole lot barring the singleton poppies divided into brooches should be melted down!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Usually those settings are made to be broken into a variety of smaller pieces to suit the occasion, but this does not appear to be the case, with 'that'.

BTW, welcome to TRF Connie! :-)
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you very much for the warm welcome Scooter!

I shall leave the Poppies alone for a while, now that I have added my opinion to this thread and try and find out some more about my newest bete noire....Princess Astrid's Wings horror!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh Connie C.. I am still trying to keep up with the likes of you. I am afraid that I will fail. May I suggest that you start a thread of your own.... I DARE anyone to write as well as you!
Welcome, Welcome, once again. :)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

Red face

Oh stop it...I am blushing! Enough of the Golden Poppies....otherwise I fear I really may start having nightmares about them.... Now, I'm off to indulge in a jolly good rummage and rootle in my quest to unearth some more information and horror pictures pertaining to Princess Astrid's Bunny girl wings thingy!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Go Go my girl! I would love to see the Princess Astrid's Bunny thingys.... I know not of what you are speaking.. :(
Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

While scrolling through all things Margrethe jewelery I found the infamous "Poppy" earrings had another outing.

Danish Royals arrive at a gala performance of Pyotr Tchaikovsky's ballet "The Nutcracker" for guests at the COP1 United Nations Climate Change Conference, at the Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen December 16, 2009.

Kongelige og klipklapper i Det Kongelige Teater | www.bt.dk

I think Queen Margrethe is a lesson to us all that we should enjoy life and embrace all things whimsical. Let's face it, against that wonderul deep brown non PC fur, they look positively divine.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you MARG, of all the glorious Queens, Margrethe seems the most "huggable"!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I noticed that when she wore them. And they don't look too bad, they match the pendant she is wearing.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Ditto, Rubies! She just always seems to be so real and down to earth...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Courtier

Article from Hola on the Poppies.

Google Nachricht
Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the link, Dee. Interesting... however the Poppies are Still ugly, imo!! lol