The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Nobility

http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13014695.jpg

has anyone else apart from Margrethe wore this tiara?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Courtier

I thought this tiara was created especially for Queen Margrethe and I can´t imagine anyone else ever wearing it...
While we are on jewels that are not appreciated there is one that I really dislike and I have disliked from the first moment I noticed it. As much as I liked and respected the late Countess of Paris I hated her pearl necklace, but she must have loved it as she wore it all the time. A very long string with a larger pearls with a seed pearls as spacers.
Perhaps there was a sentimental reason for her liking this so much, I just think it is (wherever it is now) awful.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Wisteria, I cannot imagine anyone else Wanting to wear it!! It truly is ghastly, if I may say so.
As to the Countess of Paris and her pearl necklace, would you happen to have a photo of it? I have not seen it so I am curious....
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Oh, MY God!!! The Poppy Space Ship horror has a thread of its own. We have reached a new low indeed. To my appalled dismay I learn the blasted contraption has lights (Lights, Electric Lights????????) in it. Since when have AAAA batteries and electric wiring considered to be a part of jewelry, on the level with diamonds, emeralds etc. Are we considering a serious piece of jewelry here or some kind of circus costume contraption. MII looks like the Great Earth Mother about to view her next human sacrifice. Better the money and effort had been spent on some wondrous amethyst or aquamarine creation or some such which could have suited the Queen and been quite elegant at the same time.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Courtier

That tiara is a true horror; I honestly can't think of a sane person who would want to wear it (or design it, come to that).
My least favourite tiaras used to be the Swedish Buttons Tiaras (both of them), however compared to this creation, I might actually start appreciating the elegant buttons.

Actually the entire parure is terrible: the earrings and the necklace look like a cheap imitations you can buy for 1$ (if you have a really bad taste, of course). I can't believe Queen Margrethe actually wears that tiara; it looks like she spent too much time in the garden and forgot to take the flowers out of her hair.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Poor Queen Margrethe...How can Your Majesty wear something similar??? It's horrible!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Pardon me if it's been said before... the Poppies look like something the Borg Queen would have worn in Star Trek.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Thomas Parkman, may I just say that you have written the most perfect description of the infamous Poppies "whatever" that I have ever read. It just describes it to a Tee! What a gift you have with words!
Thank you. (I am just hoping that this will not be deleted). Well done!!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Oh, MY God!!! The Poppy Space Ship horror has a thread of its own. We have reached a new low indeed. To my appalled dismay I learn the blasted contraption has lights (Lights, Electric Lights????????) in it. Since when have AAAA batteries and electric wiring considered to be a part of jewelry, on the level with diamonds, emeralds etc. Are we considering a serious piece of jewelry here or some kind of circus costume contraption. MII looks like the Great Earth Mother about to view her next human sacrifice. Better the money and effort had been spent on some wondrous amethyst or aquamarine creation or some such which could have suited the Queen and been quite elegant at the same time.
It is priceless. Sounds like Alice Tinker's bridal headdress on The Vicar of Dibley.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Commoner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Haha, I never would have worded it that way, but that Crown is atrocious. Is there a pic of the Queen wearing it? THAT would be a sight.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness Squigy View Post
Haha, I never would have worded it that way, but that Crown is atrocious. Is there a pic of the Queen wearing it? THAT would be a sight.
There is: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1071376973

As far as I can read on the text next to the picture QMII was wearing the Poppies when the Bulgarian President visited Denmark in 2006. Oh dear, she was really wearing the thing at an official visit by an other countrys Head of State......

If it happens again I will pretend to be a Swede!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Courtier

Why don't you guys form "The Danish poppy hairpiece bashing lobby" ??? . The honourable Thomas Parkman would make a great chairman. And I'm thinking along the same lines as Lila: If HM dons that contraption again I'll emigrate!

It was so-so ok when HM was younger, but it doesn't go with a an ageing face and receeding (grey) hairline. IMHO it is a royal eyesore of the same proportions as the hairdo of the Princess Royal

Viv
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Courtier

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1071376973

Actually there is something nice to say about The Golden Poppies .

The thing compleatly overshadows the even more hideous earrings matching the contraption.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Oh God, the whole parure is so awful that considerings parts of it is on the order of distinguishing the different stinches in a landfill. The effect on a mental level is about the same as the effect I experienced one time when driving throug the farm country of Pennsylvania on an olfactory level. It had been raining and was quite hot and damp and there were thousands and thousands of contented cows on both sides of the road for miles with numerous irate and outraged skunks leaving their calling cards to mingle with the perfume of the cowmanure. What should we say? The "tiara" has 24 carat batteries and nine 40 carat light bulbs?? The thing is just so awful and in such atrocious taste that it reaches a kind of black hole grandeur all its own.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, Parkman, you are so citified! (I actually love the State Fair and the livestock barns, probably b/c the parents dragged me around to the dairy farms of elderly relatives when I was a toddler. As for skunks, just try not to breathe in for a few miles.)

But you are right about this piece. Sometimes the Queen just gets it wrong, but this wrong she keeps committing!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If the hair ornament was worn in a different way but without the parue it might be nice.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hands down the worst of the worst, laughable and pitiful. Since the world economy has gone bad, I say fire up the coldrun, and melt those suckers down to get money. Use the money to feed a country of starving/ill well-deserving children. Really, just start from scratch, do over all again. Bad design is bad design, no matter whose royal head it sits atop.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder if CP Mary has ever asked to borrow this treasure... Maybe we could photoshop Mary in this piece and see if it looks better.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh Please. Don't do that to CP Mary. She really doesn't even own One glittering tiara.... (although I don't doubt that she would look better. lol)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I wonder if CP Mary has ever asked to borrow this treasure... Maybe we could photoshop Mary in this piece and see if it looks better.
There is really no way anyone would look good in that monstrous piece: it's not just the ugly design, the whole parure looks cheap.