Least Appreciated Royal Jewel: Queen Margrethe's "Golden Poppies" Hair Ornament

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought this tiara was created especially for Queen Margrethe and I can´t imagine anyone else ever wearing it...
While we are on jewels that are not appreciated there is one that I really dislike and I have disliked from the first moment I noticed it. As much as I liked and respected the late Countess of Paris I hated her pearl necklace, but she must have loved it as she wore it all the time. A very long string with a larger pearls with a seed pearls as spacers.
Perhaps there was a sentimental reason for her liking this so much, I just think it is (wherever it is now) awful.

Wisteria, I cannot imagine anyone else Wanting to wear it!! It truly is ghastly, if I may say so.
As to the Countess of Paris and her pearl necklace, would you happen to have a photo of it? I have not seen it so I am curious....

Oh, MY God!!! The Poppy Space Ship horror has a thread of its own. We have reached a new low indeed. To my appalled dismay I learn the blasted contraption has lights (Lights, Electric Lights????????) in it. Since when have AAAA batteries and electric wiring considered to be a part of jewelry, on the level with diamonds, emeralds etc. Are we considering a serious piece of jewelry here or some kind of circus costume contraption. MII looks like the Great Earth Mother about to view her next human sacrifice. Better the money and effort had been spent on some wondrous amethyst or aquamarine creation or some such which could have suited the Queen and been quite elegant at the same time.

That tiara is a true horror; I honestly can't think of a sane person who would want to wear it (or design it, come to that). :ohmy:
My least favourite tiaras used to be the Swedish Buttons Tiaras (both of them), however compared to this creation, I might actually start appreciating the elegant buttons.

Actually the entire parure is terrible: the earrings and the necklace look like a cheap imitations you can buy for 1$ (if you have a really bad taste, of course). I can't believe Queen Margrethe actually wears that tiara; it looks like she spent too much time in the garden and forgot to take the flowers out of her hair. :nonono:

Poor Queen Margrethe...How can Your Majesty wear something similar??? It's horrible!

Pardon me if it's been said before... the Poppies look like something the Borg Queen would have worn in Star Trek.

Thomas Parkman, may I just say that you have written the most perfect description of the infamous Poppies "whatever" that I have ever read. It just describes it to a Tee! What a gift you have with words!
Thank you. (I am just hoping that this will not be deleted). Well done!!

Oh, MY God!!! The Poppy Space Ship horror has a thread of its own. We have reached a new low indeed. To my appalled dismay I learn the blasted contraption has lights (Lights, Electric Lights????????) in it. Since when have AAAA batteries and electric wiring considered to be a part of jewelry, on the level with diamonds, emeralds etc. Are we considering a serious piece of jewelry here or some kind of circus costume contraption. MII looks like the Great Earth Mother about to view her next human sacrifice. Better the money and effort had been spent on some wondrous amethyst or aquamarine creation or some such which could have suited the Queen and been quite elegant at the same time.

It is priceless. Sounds like Alice Tinker's bridal headdress on The Vicar of Dibley.

Haha, I never would have worded it that way, but that Crown is atrocious. Is there a pic of the Queen wearing it? THAT would be a sight.

Haha, I never would have worded it that way, but that Crown is atrocious. Is there a pic of the Queen wearing it? THAT would be a sight.

There is: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31109&d=1071376973

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as I can read on the text next to the picture QMII was wearing the Poppies when the Bulgarian President visited Denmark in 2006. Oh dear, she was really wearing the thing at an official visit by an other countrys Head of State......

If it happens again I will pretend to be a Swede!

Why don't you guys form "The Danish poppy hairpiece bashing lobby" ??? :ROFLMAO:. The honourable Thomas Parkman would make a great chairman. And I'm thinking along the same lines as Lila: If HM dons that contraption again I'll emigrate!

It was so-so ok when HM was younger, but it doesn't go with a an ageing face and receeding (grey) hairline. IMHO it is a royal eyesore of the same proportions as the hairdo of the Princess Royal :whistling:

Viv

Oh God, the whole parure is so awful that considerings parts of it is on the order of distinguishing the different stinches in a landfill. The effect on a mental level is about the same as the effect I experienced one time when driving throug the farm country of Pennsylvania on an olfactory level. It had been raining and was quite hot and damp and there were thousands and thousands of contented cows on both sides of the road for miles with numerous irate and outraged skunks leaving their calling cards to mingle with the perfume of the cowmanure. What should we say? The "tiara" has 24 carat batteries and nine 40 carat light bulbs?? The thing is just so awful and in such atrocious taste that it reaches a kind of black hole grandeur all its own.

Oh, Parkman, you are so citified! (I actually love the State Fair and the livestock barns, probably b/c the parents dragged me around to the dairy farms of elderly relatives when I was a toddler. As for skunks, just try not to breathe in for a few miles.)

But you are right about this piece. Sometimes the Queen just gets it wrong, but this wrong she keeps committing!

If the hair ornament was worn in a different way but without the parue it might be nice. :whistling:

Hands down the worst of the worst, laughable and pitiful. Since the world economy has gone bad, I say fire up the coldrun, and melt those suckers down to get money. Use the money to feed a country of starving/ill well-deserving children. Really, just start from scratch, do over all again. Bad design is bad design, no matter whose royal head it sits atop.

I wonder if CP Mary has ever asked to borrow this treasure... Maybe we could photoshop Mary in this piece and see if it looks better.

Oh Please. Don't do that to CP Mary. She really doesn't even own One glittering tiara.... (although I don't doubt that she would look better. lol)

I wonder if CP Mary has ever asked to borrow this treasure... Maybe we could photoshop Mary in this piece and see if it looks better.

There is really no way anyone would look good in that monstrous piece: it's not just the ugly design, the whole parure looks cheap.

I couldn't have said it better, Marsel, although I tried! It truly is a horrendous parure and certainly not fit for a Queen to wear...

OMG what a piece of jewelry :lol: Yes, the most beautiful woman on earth would look ridiculous with it.

I saw some close up pictures of the "poppies" tiara this summer and the poppies are beautiful in their make up and with the gems. It's too bad that it was fashioned in this particular design. I also saw a huge close up the the Swedish Button Tiaras. I never liked them, but after the close up views, they're absolutely gorgeous and I love them.

Oh my!!!! I had never had the...urhmmm.....(dis)pleasure of beholding this evidently infamous parure before! I had to scan the entire thread just to ensure that MII was not the actual culprit responsible for designing these monstrosities herself! I love Mr Parkman's 'Space ship Borg Queen comparison. Someone else noted that yellow gold just doesn't seem to work on QMII and I have to agree! But that does not make up for the frissons of horror one feels upon enduring another tentatively beady look at the photograph on page 1.I feel like a rabbit caught in the beam of the headlights of a very fast moving car whenever I snatch another look at that picture..... it's shocking just how awful this parure is!!!!

Everything about this golden disaster par excellence is criminally hideous! The tiara thing is simply frightful, and those huge pendulous earrings add a touch of almost maniacal menace...imagine the clink should HM turn her head rather swiftly......then again, imagine being a cousin or member of the family and having to kiss cheeks whilst trying to avoid those dangling monstrosities! The collar thing looks like something a cartoon dominatrix may select to don from her cache of such chain-like bijou trinkets!

I think QMII one the warmest and most personable monarchs to sit upon a throne today.....but perhaps she is taking her generous good nature, consideration and kindness a little too far when she dons these horrors, as perhaps she doesn't want to hurt the designer's feelings by not enduring them occasionally!!!!! I still can not believe that she has worn this lot more than once!!!!! I also think it is really rather cruel to HM that the link to the photograph has been added so liberally throughout this thread....perhaps there should be a 'Prevention of Cruelty to Queens who wear hideous jewels Act' passed by the moderators!!!! I also think the Danes should seriously think about the idea suggested here on the thread to set up an 'Anti Golden Poppies Ghastly What-not pressure group to try and persuade HM to melt the lot down and turn it into something...anything.....else!

I wonder if the grand children are frightened when Granny dons this revolting parure, I know I would have been had mine ever worn such a get-up! I would probably have had nightmares too!!!!

Last edited:
Connie Cutmantle, you have taken this golden disaster to another level, indeed! Your description is beyond belief and yet so true. I cannot even begin to understand how you are able to write a description that is so vivid and to the point and a perfect description of a horror... How I wish I had your talent with words. :) Alas, I do not but I can certainly sit back and enjoy yours! Well said, and welcome to the TRF. :)

You are too kind Udyusa! Thank so much for such a warm welcome to TRF! I do hope that I didn't go a bit OTT....but I have been musing that IF QMII only dons the Golden Poppies Ghastly what-nots out of a sense of duty to demonstrate her gracious support of the home grown Danish Jewelry design industry, one can only admire Her Majesty for her fortitude and patriotism! I like to think that this may be the case as I have to admit that I have yet to come across anything quite so appalling amongst the other goodies that have outings from QMII's jewel vaults! This is a dash speculative, but I did not want to appear to be criticizing QMII, as my critique is directed solely toward the Golden Poppies bits and bobs!

Not kind, but just expressing my feelings as best I can. You do a much better job of expressing yourself than I could only Hope to... Goodness, but you are wonderful.. :)

I think an individual poppy could be attractive as a brooch or as a hair ornament, but all together...yikes!

That would be the most acceptable solution Scooter, then at least QMII could ensure that the designer's feelings wouldn't be entirely crushed when she wore the single poppy brooch! I do agree that individually the poppies appear rather delicate and I have no doubt the craftsmanship and skill required to create them is unquestioned! Perhaps the designer simply just got carried away! Perhaps as a further diplomatic ploy the rest of the poppies in brooch settings could be given to QMII's sisters, daughters in law and nieces as individual memento keepsakes, then their would be little risk of them ever being reassembled for the tiara thingy!!!!!

The earrings and choke chain thing left from the parure could then be consigned to the cruicible for something new, or they could even find their way into the grandchildren's dressing up box, for Isabelle to don for playets in the future. I do mean future, when she is old enough not to be frightened by these horrors en masse! She could perhaps play a Borg Queen in a Star Trek inspired panto in the cast offs! Then again such a plan may have some untoward effect on Isabelle's future tastes in jewelry...God forbid!!!!!! It may traumatize her to have to don the horrors... therefore I think it probably wiser that the whole lot barring the singleton poppies divided into brooches should be melted down!

Usually those settings are made to be broken into a variety of smaller pieces to suit the occasion, but this does not appear to be the case, with 'that'.

BTW, welcome to TRF Connie! :)

Back
Top Bottom