The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

That picture that was given--yeah, there are a lot of reactions to it. Let's try to find a better picture!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Don't think i have seen other photos of Margrethe with all poppies but in recent years she sometimes wears one of them in her chignon. (for example at the Dinner at the Engagement of Frederik and Mary).

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Is there a close up where we can see these insects and dew drops? I've never noticed them before. Maybe I was just blinded by the general horror of the thing!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
Is there a close up where we can see these insects and dew drops? I've never noticed them before. Maybe I was just blinded by the general horror of the thing!
You know, when I read about the dewdrops and insects I was also a touch confused. I guess all that shiney-ness was blinding, indeed!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I've gone through the Worst Royal Jewels 1 and 2 threads and moved most of the Poppies-specific posts over to create this new thread.
Not because the subject is particularly interesting, but because the "Poppies" discussion has come and gone through three separate and repetitive cycles:
early 2006, February 2008 and now again in January 2009.

Early 2007 is notable for its lack of a Poppies revival, but the seasonal rhythm has since been resumed and the natural order restored.

There is one other royal jewel that appears to be largely disliked by members, that being Queen Sonja's modern topaz tiara. That discussion is also cyclical (I've come across the Wonder Woman video three times now), but not substantial enough to warrant its own thread.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Whatever is said about the poppies Queen Margarethe manages to wear jewels and clothes that no one else could possibly look good in and she looks majestic and great in them.
For me the tiara I dislike most is the button one worn by CP Victoria, not over the top like the poppies but ghastly. I would have it made back into buttons....
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Poppies, Menarue, this thread is for the Poppies!
We still have the Worst Royal Jewels thread for all the other unloved, unwanted and unappreciated trinkets.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Poppies, ok Poppies, but I still think...........
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry, Warren. I know that I posted that WonderWoman video at least twice. I shall abstain from now on!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

will Mary ever wear the poppies???? i seriously hope not she has better taste

Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness

Please donlt think I'm nuts but I remember reading an article about five or six years ago in Hello! magazine about these golden poppies - I think QM was on a state visit to an eastern European country. Well, the article mentioned that the flowers were in actual fact illuminated with little lights inside them! I'm happy to contact Hello! to verify the story.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
It's, errhhh, it's - well you know, it's not - hmmm, a tiara! It's - errrhhhhh................
Whatever IT is, IT has lights. You can switch IT on. The lights are inside the golden blossoms of IT, that's why IT gleams. No, I'm not joking.
Queen Margrethe wasn't enjoying too much of her husband's wine when she got IT, though. It's just that both she and her husband are true eccentrics with a very unique sense of humor. I have no idea if the joke is on them or on us here, though.
Doh - just saw this posting!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I, uum, don't want to burst your bubble, Jacknch, but ahh, Boris Does have a tendency to uhhh.... be quite witty, shall we say! And he does it with sooo much panache!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was, uumm, you know, actually - uum, I don't dare to say it: DEAD serious about the lights!
I meant it when I said 'I am not joking' - from what I have read, there are indeed lights inside of each golden flower. The gleaming of the gold in the pic is not just the reflection of light from the outside, but the small lights inside.
I can't quote my source, but in my case it wasn't 'Hello!'. I wish I could remember where it was, just as much as I wish that I could find another clear pic of our most beloved hair ornament.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh Boris. Would that you Could find the source!! The Poppies are Truly "electrified"?? I asked before about batteries but this is beyond comprehension! Where does one Plug In the poppies?? Put me out of my misery and explain it!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

OH DEAR GOD! Just when I thought they couldn't possibly be any worse I find out they are electrified! This simply boggles the mind.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

It is a conundrum, to be sure!! Stay tuned.....
Old 01-15-2009, 01:54 AM

damn what on earth is that, her adviser needs to be fired.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Oh Boris. Would that you Could find the source!! The Poppies are Truly "electrified"?? I asked before about batteries but this is beyond comprehension! Where does one Plug In the poppies?? Put me out of my misery and explain it!
Now that is a question I wouldn´t ask!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Royal Highness

I think we have a new title for this forum:
"Pluggin' in the Poppies"!!! What do you think, Warren?