Least Appreciated Royal Jewel: Queen Margrethe's "Golden Poppies" Hair Ornament

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can keep the silly poppies but give me the combinations to the 'Vaults' with all of the Real jewels!! I mean the Diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and on and on!!! I'm with Rubies with her post !! Watch out Rubies, I'm right behind you... :)

:beamup:Please donlt think I'm nuts but I remember reading an article about five or six years ago in Hello! magazine about these golden poppies - I think QM was on a state visit to an eastern European country. Well, the article mentioned that the flowers were in actual fact illuminated with little lights inside them! I'm happy to contact Hello! to verify the story.

Does anyone remember the wedding of Alice and Hugo on The Vicar of Dibley? What about Alice's headpiece that lit up? Shades of HM!!

Such silly fun. . . . . . My family would all be looking for me, and I would be down in the royal vaults somewhere with a bottle of wine covered in sparkle!!:nonono:
Rubies you rock! No pun intended. That is a mental image to carry for a while and chortle to oneself about. :D Of course the fact that everyone else thinks you're barking is yet more to laugh at.
James in London said:
But really... do we all need therapy?
Unquestionably. Lots and lots more jewels to drool over! ;)

Last edited:
All as I can say on this topic is that Queen Margrethe must take complete leave of her senses when she puts on those hideous, vile poppies, every time I see them I feel sick:sick:

I'd like to see the golden poppies again.

In fact, I'd like to see them on the Crown Princess.

Don't underestimate Mary; I bet she could make them work. Maybe she will someday.

Wishful thinking?

I don't doubt it at all! However, Mary would have to have her hair-dresser take a look at Queen Silvia of Sweden to see how it's done. Silvia is the only one that is able to weave jewels in her hair and make them look spectacular... so far.
However, I can think of so many other beautiful jewels that Mary could wear. Heaven knows, she could use some!!

I don't doubt it at all! However, Mary would have to have her hair-dresser take a look at Queen Silvia of Sweden to see how it's done. Silvia is the only one that is able to weave jewels in her hair and make them look spectacular... so far.
However, I can think of so many other beautiful jewels that Mary could wear. Heaven knows, she could use some!!
ummm i don´t think that even Queen Silvia could do something good with those poppies. But i don´t think we would have to worry about that - she has better taste then to ever try :lol:.

I can´t imagen anyone then Queen Margerethe to pull them off, not that she always does but ;)

You are sooo correct! I was really just kidding. CP Mary has such impeccable taste that she wouldn't even bother to mess with the "Poppies"! :lol: She Does really need some other beautiful jewels to wear, however. :whistling:

You are sooo correct! I was really just kidding. CP Mary has such impeccable taste that she wouldn't even bother to mess with the "Poppies"! :lol: She Does really need some other beautiful jewels to wear, however. :whistling:
I couldn't agree more--about Princess Mary. She needs more jewels--and while I think Marie is lovely, I am irritated that I don't get to see Mary in that tiara--she would look amazing in it.

Oh, Oh, Oh. I couldn't agree more! I dislike repeating someone's posts, but I can't think of anything better to say! Poor Mary with that pathetic wedding tiara... It doesn't even remotely sparkle. It reminds me of stainless steel! She IS the CP and needs at the very least, another Tiara!!

I hope when Mary becomes Queen she hide the poppies in a good spot and never take them out again! I like different looking jewles, but the poppies are just plain ugly!

:potofgold:

You would think that with so much to choose from, this particular 'jewel' wouldn't be seen very often.

The poppy thingy is unbelievable! The DRF don't have that many tiaras left, and when they acquire something new Queen Margrete chooses this??? I don't get it. The Queen sometimes has a strange taste.
Or was it a gift? Does anybody know?

Maybe CP Mary will take it upon herself to ahem, "alter" this horror once she is the Queen of Denmark. By altering I mean melt the thing down and start fresh with a new creation!;)

Or maybe she should auction it off? Some weirdo might pay enought to buy something decent instead.
Another idea: chuck them in a flower vase. They might bring an interesting sparkle to a lavish flower bouquet!

Maybe CP Mary will take it upon herself to ahem, "alter" this horror once she is the Queen of Denmark. By altering I mean melt the thing down and start fresh with a new creation!;)

Definitely rearranging it into a slightly more conventional tiara shape would help. The craftsmanship is decent, so I think it might actually be a worth-while addition to the collection.

Now that I have seen it on it's own and not nestled in one's hair, it is Really Scary looking!! Reminds me of those creatures that live at the bottom of the ocean where it is totally black and soundless! They glow in the dark, have those spiky teeth and trailing thingies.... Sounds as though I have just written a descrption of the Poppies tiara! Yikes...

There is a tiara exibition in Denmark now and it has our 'beloved' poppies in it. Billed-Bladed posted a picture galery here: Billed-Bladet - Margrethe og de smukke diademer
Go through it and in the end you'll be glad QMII choose the poppies and not something like the lizard and bug creation!!

I am very pleased to see that the poppy head ornament has its own thread, for it deserves it. :D

However, I don't think we should ignore the matching earrings, which are the icing on the cake. :lol: ETA No, the long-legged metal bug I've just noticed on the head contraption is the icing on the cake. :ROFLMAO:

I think the poppies are so outrageously odd that they are quite wonderful, and I think Queen Margrethe must have a marvellous sense of humour to wear them. I don't think Mary could carry it off; you need to be born Royal to get away with something that's really over the top like that.

Last edited:
I agree. I thought it rather classical in design & theme. Maybe it'll become CP Mary's "Golden Poppies".
Perish the Thought!!!!! I take it you absolutely adore said Poppies? :whistling:

I could adore the poppies - if only seen on pictures :) - when you see the picture of it from the tiara exhibition, it is somehow a beautiful piece of jewellery - the closeups with the details. I do hope that it will someday be converted into something more useful. It's very yellow gold makes it a bit difficult as a headpiece but I would not rule out the possibility of one day seeing Mary using it in some new and to us royal watchers acceptable way.

I'd actually like to see Mary make use of the poppies, even if only once.

Perish the Thought!!!!! I take it you absolutely adore said Poppies? :whistling:

No, I'm not fond of the Poppies! But from the postings on this board (myself included) not alot of people like this one. If it's actually hers to keep, I thought maybe it would be her "Poppies" - a tiara she really likes but no one else does!:lol:

oh my god this so horrible. i wonder who made this ugly awful ornament. :ohmy:
i hope we will never see it on mary or marie.
awful...

Actually I like the Poppietiara - I think the poppies could look very nice on a Christmas tree :xmastree:.

Oh dear, and ruin a perfectly beautiful Christmaas tree??

Udyusa, it does not have to be your Christmas tree - or mine......it must be somebody elses............... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom