The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not an electrician,I can't solve the problem,I'm just posting this to let you know 3 things:
a).The Carnival is really close,it starts in late February
b).I had some nightmares last May,when I saw the Swedish singer in the Eurovision song contest
c)....and now I'm gonna have nightmares for the whole year,not just a month

Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I consider our current post far from inconsequential! The poppy THING is the only royal tiara-or-whatever which has inbuilt lights.
Seriously, there's a jewelry designer sitting somewhere who's very proud of his achievement, and it would be interesting to find out how IT works.
In the back of my mind, I vaguely remember that IT was actually a gift from a Danish designer... In this case, poor Margrethe really didn't have a choice but to wear it once or twice... she couldn't possibly scream in horror when being given it, declare that she hates Danish design, and proceed to throw it out of the window. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow! This tiara and earrings are truly frightening. Queen Margrethe is a very good sport for wearing it. I don't know who the designer was, but I suspect that he or she may have been under the influence of an illegal substance made from poppies (lol-just a joke) when the design was conceived.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I like the 'poppies' - I find them very pretty and tasteful ......

(only kidding ..... )

The artist who made it is Arje Griegst - here is an article with a few examples of other jewellery he has made - www.castens.com - One-of-a-kind jewellery (sorry, only in Danish). Amongst other things he also made a porcelaine dining set for Royal Copenhagen called 'Konkylie' (Anders Antik, 731, slutpriser, torsdag den 2. august 20:00 - scroll down to mid-page, right side). Arje Griegst have received a number of prizes for his works; I think I've read somewhere that he lives in Israel now.

I find his works rather fascinating; while I don't find the poppies very successful, I think that these examples are rather interesting and I can understand why QMII in the '70s would have taken an interest in his work.
Personally, I like the idea of creating new tiaras - is is just too bad that the two well-known examples - the poppies here and queen Sonja's 'warrier' tiara - were not very succesful in their design.
I am not 100 % certain - but I think I read somewhere years back that the poppies were not a gift to QMII, but rather a cooperation between the queen and Arje Griegst.

There is not much available information online about the poppies - but the few articles I have found do not refer to it as a 'tiara' - but as a piece of jewellery (just worn on the head !) - they are not referred to as 'valmuer' = poppies either but as e.g. 'gold flowers for the hair' (Berlingske Tidende).
Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Good job,User Dane That Arje guy could also be an awarded electrician,couldn't he? Imagine all these lamps exploding on Margrethe's head...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks a lot for the information, UserDane!
Arje Griegst's other work is indeed fascinating - though we can be lucky that Margrethe's headwear doesn't feature a dozen dark faces caught in golden flames, but only golden flowers instead.
On a serious note, I'd label it just an interesting experiment that went wrong at one point. Margrethe with her serious interest in art could have done so much better in her collaboration to create the only one major new 'tiara' during her reign.
I guess the correct definition would be 'hair ornament'...
Indeed, most contemporary tiaras have been unsuccessful in terms of design, which is a shame as there are many modern styles out there which would be far more interesting and exciting than the attempts made with these 'flowers' and Sonja's monstrosity.
The only new tiaras I can think of as beautiful are again, somewhat disappointing, of neo-classical design - like Queen Sofia's Niarchos rubies (not being worn for an eternity now, for whatever reason) and Queen Silvia's modern diamond fringe tiara, frequently worn by Princess Madeleine.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Royal Highness

This little golden beauty does not need lamps iakynthi - it so GOLD it lights up anything on its own

I cannot help thinking of ways it may be used instead; perhaps a single flower in a long chain? A few of them as a 'dramatic' brooch on a black dress? I wouldn't be surprised if QMII - or Mary - eventually find another use for just one or two of them which might actually look quite nice!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

You're welcome Boris
Hair ornament must be the right term, yes!
I agree that the golden flowers, poppies, seem like an experient gone wrong. It would indeed be nice for a queen as artistically gifted as QMII to leave a legacy in terms of a really pretty and yet contemporary tiara.
I have to look up queen Sofia's modern tiara - I don't remember having seen it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Do they have to think of another use?Why not throwing it to the rubbish or recycle it and make a wonderful row of Christmas lights to decorate the palace? Just kidding,they'll probably delete us anyway...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Oh my!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

After seeing the artist and his other designs, I am happy that Margrethe stopped with the Poppies. I cannot believe that Anyone in their right mind would wear a 'Face' around their neck!! They look positively creepy!!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you UserDane for the information! The faces that he designed were far more terrifying than the poppies. I do agree that the poppies could be used in a different way. One or two would make a nice brooch for a black or deep purple outfit. They are just too numerous and bright for the top of the head. I also think that the earrings are hideous.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

I agree Sgl - the earrings are really ugly. Best thing would be to give them to Isabella for play when she starts to dress herself up
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

I forget how unappealing those poppies are until I see that photo of Margrethe wearing them with those earrings--- I mean, and I hate to be disrespectful here, but where was the mirror? Of, which Lady-in-Waiting actuallly told her she looked good? I can see where she may have been going for a greek goddes type of look-and with the right hairstyle MAYBE they could work, but with this particular look it just isn't right. Perhaps a reworking is in order here. They're not ugly, they're just not right with this look.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

What I found about our "beloved" poppies:
A modern tiara made in 1976 by the Danish jeweller Arjen Griegst on request of Queen Margrethe. These golden roses with dewdrops of moonstone and aquamarine and insects of crystals, opals and diamonds had been worn regularly in the beginning. In the past few years the Queen doesn´t wear them so often anymore.
(Danjel's site)

Maybe she shoul do something with them brooches or what or give them fly away?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh dear. Magnik that was interesting. I had NO idea that the golden roses had dewdrops and INSECTS????? I'm afraid I missed the opals and diamonds. It just looked like garish bright gold. Thank goodness she doesn't wear "them" much anymore!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Now, now people. If you just give it a chance you will grow to love it I am sure. After all is said and done, (and believe me, an awful lot has been said, but the posters all lacked the necessary werewithall required actually do anything), Queen Margrethe has the required "look" to carry it off.

Picture if you will, Queen Margrethe wearing one of her fabulous "Gala" dresses, with her hair in an incredible "updo", and the "poppies?" nestled in the curls. The first thing that comes to mind is . . . . "In your face"!

And she does it so very well.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness

Wait a minute:what does the above "look" with the poppies have to do with the ancient Greek style?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I saw the poppies for the first time today.........and decided to go with Jcbc.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

Ok, Marge--I trust you, I trust your opinion. Let's find some other picture of this piece and see if we can't get it out of here. I'm not adverse to admitting I was wrong (well, not about the Wonder Woman tiara, I stand firm there) but I have thought the poppies had potential. Let's get the glorious Margrethe off this list!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill