Least Appreciated Royal Jewel: Queen Margrethe's "Golden Poppies" Hair Ornament

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think they would look great on mary put on a tiara frame

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, I thought this horror had been buried long ago. In this case less and less is most definately better. In fully pomp and circumstance MII looks like some kind of space queen in a 1960s outer space horror waiting for the next brain dead blonde hunk to be sacrificed to the great god Ptah or whatever. Maybe one bloom as a brooch or even two. Or course when we have the royal halloween party put in the Chritmas lights, wire the good woman up with the best grade A danish batteries and go for it. It is still in toto one of the most ghastly, god awful, noxious contraptions ever devised by the jewlers art.

Aaargh! I don't care what precious jewels, provenance or gold content this monstrosity has, I know ugly when I see it - and this is ugly! :eek: Someone should creep into the jewel vaults and hammer this tentacle to death! And those earrings need to go the same way as well.

Last edited:
I'll take it. I like Art Nouveau design. I wouldn't want it to be my only piece of jewelry, but I think it's fun (and funky), rather sprightly, not creepy. Of course, Space Queen sounds appealing to me, too and I have nothing against B movies whatsoever.

It's a piece of jewelry with a sense of humor and Margrethe looks as if she has a great sense of humor, as well as a love for poppies (they're my favorite flower, too). Poppies are symbolic for many of us, so there's that. And yeah, it would look great at Hallowe'en (especially at Disneyland).

Dear Thomas, I just love your comments!! I don't care what you comment on, I just feel very entertained when you do comment. I always get a good giggle or laugh from you. Keep up the good work.:ROFLMAO::lol::):flowers::ROFLMAO:

I wonder if Mary will wear one day when she is queen!
This was my expression when I first saw it: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
An appearance of the poppies, or at least the earrings.

Not only earring but also matching necklace and something in the hair.

I didn't realize there was an entire thread dedicated to these... hair novelties. :lol:

It's QMII and there is no known cure.
I think she delights in wearing them. They are just about 500 years out of fashion.

But can you imagine another royal wearing them, where it would look less... eh... Renaissance?

These flowers can result in a nice diadem when the flowers are laid in the form of a wreath and worn as a hairband. The pale skin of Queen Margrethe and the stained teeth are marked by these golden poppies. The same bijou worn by Crown Princess Mary can actually result in a total different image.

I didn't realize there was an entire thread dedicated to these... hair novelties. :lol:

I think she delights in wearing them. They are just about 500 years out of fashion.

But can you imagine another royal wearing them, where it would look less... eh... Renaissance?

The poppies have potential, I think. Up close, the flower is very pretty.
I can well imagine Mary wearing them. With her dark hair and arranged differently, I think they could look very nice.

I'm afraid they DO look awful. I don't think anyone could pull them off. Is this the Q Margthethe who is so artisitic?

Welcome to one of my favourite threads, even if it does only show up but rarely.

Novelties? Muhler really, these wonderful flowers are a modern day tiara which breaks into many separate pieces just as her flower aigrette does.

QMII, thank heavens there is no cure, no other royal of her generation has quite her whimsy.

Delights in wearing them? No, she adores each and every little poppy.

Fashion? Well, when you're Queen of Denmark you are the only arbiter of fashion that counts.

Let's face it, can you think of another who could put her shoulders back, lift up her head and let them sparkle.
Order of Sartorial Splendour said:
The flowers themselves are made from thinly hammered plates of 21 carat gold. Each flower has baroque pearls inside and 4 diamond-tipped stamens. The design is a very literal translation of a garden flower, including moonstones and aquamarines on the leaves to represent dewdrops and insects depicted in pearls, crystals, opals, moonstones, and diamonds crawling about.
Once the camera flashes, floodlights, chandeliers and candlelight hit that little lot, there's an amazing amount of twinkling going on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom