The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Royal Highness

The earrings in this parue are lovely, there is a brooch that is beautiful as well. The necklace isn't even too bad--but that tiara just looks bad. It is a product of bad design. Those fan shaped attachments---I just looked at it again and I don't think I can find anything nice to say about it. When was it made, because that could be the problem--it looks so dated--has that 60's look.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I love that new look of hers, but still hold that the aquamarines with orders needed something to balance them.
I don't disagree that balance was necessary. Frilly pastel applique ribbons, however, were not the way to go.

Quote:
For me, the problem is that Order. It is yellow gold and everything else is a white metal; it does't look right. Also, while I understand that she wears the family orders, their background colors of pink and blue, with the green stones of the orders, the aquamarines, and that really chunky bracelet are just not creating a real cohesive look.
Yes! Thank you.. I hadn't been able to put my finger on it. I hate mixed metal (unless it's mixed within a single piece) and that must have been what was niblling at me. And eesh, yes, the colours.. I mean, don't even get me started on Royal Family Orders--they're the single most meaningless decoration there is: "Oh congratulations, you're a female member of the Royal Family! We'd better pin a ribbon on you so everyone knows."; they're in awful, hideous colours that clash with pretty much everything, and for crying out loud... MORE BIG FRILLY RIBBONS! I understand the istorical basis for them, but please, stop wearing them; they ruin otherwise lovely outfits.

[quote]
I've never liked this parure on Elizabeth, which to me is a shame because I adore aquamarines. The tiara is such an odd looking thing, and the necklace and bracelet are excessively chunky.

Quote:
Would have better suited a member of the Brazilian Imperial family, imo.
Well yes, except that the parure was a gift from Brazil to HM, so it would be a bit rude not to wear it... that being said, I somewhat agree; stones and metalwork like that need dark hair and a darker complexion to really shine.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Compare the ridiculous look of the picture above with this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tMarch2008.jpg
See how she's wearing roughly the same amount of bling, but it all works so nicely together?
That's what's missing - no RFOs! For a State function that's odd, or at least unusual.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
That's what's missing
I'm not missing them
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM

I think Queen Elizabeth wears the right amount of jewels, i think wearing too much jewellery spoils whatever dress etc it is meant to be worn with and i have never seen the Queen in pics etc wearing too much.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post

Well yes, except that the parure was a gift from Brazil to HM, so it would be a bit rude not to wear it... that being said, I somewhat agree; stones and metalwork like that need dark hair and a darker complexion to really shine.
I'm aware of the parure's provenance, and appreciate the Queen's willing diplomacy in wearing them when in the company of a Brazilian entourage. Nobody gestures quite like ER.

The parure just doesn't suit a lady of 82. Though, I never thought it suited her, even when her hair was dark. It's much too bulky for such a diminutive figure as is Elizabeth II.

It is an exotic display of craftmanship better suited for an exotic wearer. Someone with a sun kissed complexion and flowing chocolate locks. Yes, you're on the money!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Of course, the problem, if there be one, good people is that she had to wear the Brazialian order with collar and she had to wear the massive aquamarine tiara-the aquamarines being a gift of the Brazilian people and this was a state dinner for the President and First Lady of Brasil- and then she wore her family orders and the whole thing in my view is somewhat incoherent but still quite something. The real problem has always been that tiara. The stones are gorgeous but the design needs to be redone somehow. I love the necklace, admittedly massive and the earings but the tiara has always been a mixed bag of tricks to me. There is a picture of her at the state dinner for George Bush she gave in Washington wearing th necklace and earings and they are stunning.

Perhaps our resident photoshopping genii could do something with that tiara, keeping the massive quality of the gemstones intact but changing the design. Oh Lady K most radiant and brilliant, Arise!!!!

Tags
jewellery, parure