The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Luckily royal jewelry is not subject to anyone's whims. It is understandable if not everyone appreciates history, tradition and culture. The royal houses are generally very consientious in keeping pieces intact and not be influenced by any current trends in bling.
Are you kidding? The Dutch royals in particular are in love with disassembling and reassembling their jewels!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Current taste in bling my foot. The thing is a flop, a dud, a disaster, a royal snafu, a massive failure of taste and a disgusting exhibition of more money than good sense. Melt things down and start over I say. Compare this piece of expensive and overpriced garbage to the Princess Mary's ruby parure and we go from the horrible to the sublime. So get in there and disassemble and reassemble with unDutch abandon. Cheers.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

So, Thomas, do you like it?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Courtier

I hate, I loathe, I detest, I despise and I abominate that wholesale waste and squandering of some magnificent gemstones. The tiara is just plain ugly, indeed revolting, no matter whose pretty or not so pretty or just plain Dutch ugly head you plop it on. The earings are nice. But that is all.

Believe me, I have tried. and tried and tried. The rubies are marvelous and the diamonds, are, well diamonds. Now who can not just love diamonds. But the design, construction, configuration or what you will of the Mellerio parure is just plain nauseating. The jeweler must have been either drunk or strung out on mushrooms grown on cow pats. Or both.

I wish I knew what his brand of booze was. I would be sure to avoid it. cheers.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

The way the diamonds are set on the tiara has always reminded me of a Christmas tree decked out with garland. I hate to say it, because they are large diamonds, after all--I do agree with THomas--the earrings are lovely, and I rather like the necklace, the brooches are nice--but the tiara---well, I say dismantle it, make a couple of riviere's and turn the rest into something more attractive.

Thomas--I'm curious as to whether you might like this piece that I recently became aware of--and, I must admit, I do love it. The simplicity of the design is refreshing after this ruby horror!
Diamond Bandeau Tiara

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think the picture of Juliana isn't doing justice to the parure. And together with a patterned dress, order, etc. it looks too busy. On this picture Juliana is wearing the same parure, all pieces (bracelets are not visible on this picture) and the effect isn't overwhelming at all.

I like the stomacher, brooches, earings, bracelet and even the necklace of the parure but the tiara isn't the best one I have seen. I don't like the side prongs and that Beatrix burries most of the tiara in her hairdo doesn't help either. The diamonds themselves are pretty and big btw, the parure is probably much more worth than the parure of Mary, though her parure is much more elegant indeed.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Courtier

Honestly, when I saw a picture of Mary with her ruby parure I think it was a bit too much. The tiara, earrings and necklace were too much. I just wish she used smaller earrings for that. The necklace + tiara is already grand.
Plus, with her hair down it looks like a mess. It would be nice if she have it pinned-up.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Courtier

I LOVE the Dutch Diamond Bandeau! Absolutely one of my favourite tiaras, because of its simplicity. And yet, it is anything but spare. Just a single row of diamonds the size of eye-balls! I love it!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
I LOVE the Dutch Diamond Bandeau! Absolutely one of my favourite tiaras, because of its simplicity. And yet, it is anything but spare. Just a single row of diamonds the size of eye-balls! I love it!!!
Isn't it gorgeous! If I'm being honest I just sat here and drooled the first time I saw it. Such a splendid piece, such large diamonds, such a classic simple piece with such majesty. As soon as I saw it it quickly moved into my top five favorite pieces. How could it not? That tiara, with a nice riviere, some very simple earrings---OH MY! Maxima will look amazing. I hope to see this one a lot.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
It is indeed riveting in its simplicity although the size of each of those diamonds is nothing to sneeze at.

However, and this is a biggie, it looks ghastly on older women! Sort of too small or insignificant, or maybe it's just the big hair, but on everyone, and I mean every single one, it looked just plain boring. How does one render such a wonderful piece nondescript? I don't have the answer, but I am sure the only reason any of these women of style actually wore it was as a personal penance.

Their Royal Highnesses Princess Margriet and Christina both sucessfully carried it off, but on HRH Princess Maxima? Wow, what can I say, it looks fabulous, very understated, but altogether in a class of it's own.

There is an old adage about "clothes maketh the man" but in this case, "Maxima maketh the Bandeau". I really can't see how any other family members would choose to wear it as unflattering comparisons would be inevitable.

I don't think I have ever seen any such perfect match other than Diana and the Spencer Tiara.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Honestly, when I saw a picture of Mary with her ruby parure I think it was a bit too much. The tiara, earrings and necklace were too much. I just wish she used smaller earrings for that. The necklace + tiara is already grand.
I have to disagree on that one. Princess Mary looks like a natural in Desiree's Rubies. I think it is something to do with her colouring and stature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
Plus, with her hair down it looks like a mess. It would be nice if she have it pinned-up.
Whilst I don't think it looks like a mess, I would love to see it done up a la CP Victoria or P Madeleine.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

"Maxima maketh the bandeau"
Marg--you have a way with words! I do agree--it is a perfect match between Maxima and the piece--it's a natural fit. But, then again, Maxima looks spectacular in most anything jewel wise.
As for the ruby parue--I have never understood the criticisms of Mary wearing it. Each time I see her in it I am truly gobsmacked by her beauty and grace. SHe wears it well, she wears everything well. I quite admire her--she and Maxima, well, what can I say? They delight and mesmerize!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Too much?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Mar_2006.jpeg

That is too much. And the horrid ribbon applique on the dress would be too juvenile for a five year old, let alone HM The Queen!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Too much?

That is too much. And the horrid ribbon applique on the dress would be too juvenile for a five year old, let alone HM The Queen!
Do you mena the gold-green? Thas is no embrodery in the gown that is the collar of the Order. This photo is from the State-Visit from Brzil 2 years ago. Queen beatrix had the collar under the ruffle of her gown so it was invisible.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Nobility

No, I mean the detailing in the dress itself. I can recognize the Collar of an Order.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That is too much.
I assume you are referring to the Brazilian Aquamarine Parure plus Collar of Order, Orders, bracelets etc. Eat your heart out, she looks absolutely wonderful for a woman of her years and makes one hell of an "in your face" great Queen.

Quote:
And the horrid ribbon applique on the dress would be too juvenile for a five year old, let alone HM The Queen!
Well, while obviously not an authority on fashion, without it I think even a five year old would be asking if she was going to topple over as the ensemble looked so top heavy!

It's called balance! I think you are looking at the jewelry and applique as two separate fashion sins. Pull back and look at the full length photo to get the whole picture. Balance.

A little OTT maybe, but Too Much? Never!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I assume you are referring to the Emerald Parure plus Collar of Order, Orders, bracelets etc. Eat your heart out, she looks absolutely wonderful for a woman of her years and makes one hell of an "in your face" great Queen
Actually, that's the Brazilian Aquamarine parure. And it clashes horribly with the collar. The thing about wearing that much jewellery is that too much is too much--which is the situation we have here--but WAY too much is just right (look at some pictures of Queen Mary from the early 1900s for an example).

Of course HM looks wonderful--she, herself that is. All the jewelerry is just too much for a woman who normally looks elegant and composed. The necklace clashes with the collar, the enormous tiara (with its enormous and gorgeous aquamarines) needs a much larger hairdo to set it off, the dress is bizarre.. it's kust all too many things competing for the eye, and the overall effect is of a mishmash. Perhaps her dresser was drunk that day. I mean, clearly she had to wear some of the aquamarines, seeing as she was visiting (or being visited by?) Brazil. But there are so many better things she could have done with that ensemble.

Quote:
Well, while obviously not an authority on fashion, without it I think even a five year old would be asking if she was going to topple over as the ensemble looked so top heavy!
Being top-heavy is precisely part of the problem. Pastel-coloured girlish ribbons are a) not suitable for someone of HM's stature, gravity, and advanced years, and b) not nearly enough, on a white dress, to visually balance all the bling happening further north.

Aha, found what I was looking for.

Compare the ridiculous look of the picture above with this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tMarch2008.jpg

See how she's wearing roughly the same amount of bling, but it all works so nicely together?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actually, that's the Brazilian Aquamarine parure.
Absolutely correct . . . and corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPrinceOfCanada
Compare the ridiculous look of the picture above with this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tMarch2008.jpg

See how she's wearing roughly the same amount of bling, but it all works so nicely together?
I love that new look of hers, but still hold that the aquamarines with orders needed something to balance them. I don't think anyone else was looking that up close and personal as the zoomed-in photo we are looking at.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

I am of the opinion that HM rarely misses, but this is just not one of her better looks. For me, the problem is that Order. It is yellow gold and everything else is a white metal; it does't look right. Also, while I understand that she wears the family orders, their background colors of pink and blue, with the green stones of the orders, the aquamarines, and that really chunky bracelet are just not creating a real cohesive look. I'm not sure she has too much going on, but I do think that all of that, combined with the neckline of the dress and the drape of the order just gives her a choppy look.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I've never liked this parure on Elizabeth, which to me is a shame because I adore aquamarines. The tiara is such an odd looking thing, and the necklace and bracelet are excessively chunky.

Would have better suited a member of the Brazilian Imperial family, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
jewellery, parure