Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
This picture always comes to mind when I think about how much is too much:
http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0320/QueenJuliana.jpg

I'll see if I can find a better one.
No seriously, one picture of that person is enough

Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Royal Highness

But those don't really give you the full how-much-is-to-much experiance because they're too small. The dress, the jewels, glasses, handbag, gloves....

This one's better: Koenigin Juliana mit herrlichem Rubinschmuck | Queen Juliana and the Mellerio-Parure
Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
Hmmm, that IS a lot.

From that ruby thing we've seen previously, it would seem that Camilla favours large necklaces. However, I think she might better have stayed with two or three strands rather than the full five. It is a beautiful piece, but the ensemble comes across as so HEAVY!
If it would have been pulled back a little more it had looked better. Look at the pictures of the QMum wearing it. It stays higher on her. Maybe she had a thicker neck?
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...leNecklace.jpg
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
But those don't really give you the full how-much-is-to-much experiance because they're too small. The dress, the jewels, glasses, handbag, gloves....

This one's better: Koenigin Juliana mit herrlichem Rubinschmuck | Queen Juliana and the Mellerio-Parure
Oh my, I'm not sure what to make of that person.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Royal Highness

It almost hurt your eyes!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
If it would have been pulled back a little more it had looked better. Look at the pictures of the QMum wearing it. It stays higher on her. Maybe she had a thicker neck?
My dear Andrew, you're not intimating that our beloved Queen Mum was a tiny tad tubby are you?

Seriously, I think higher is probably going to be a better look.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy

Gosh, nooo!
She was lovely as she was!!! Couldn't imagine her anyway else!!

And she was well aware of it!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a.../NPK001081.jpg
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
........And she was well aware of it!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a.../NPK001081.jpg
Indeed she was.

Well if you've got it, flaunt it..... and indeed she did.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Aristocracy

Has Anybody Said Anything About Brunei?

Bruneian royal wedding pictures from fashion photos on webshots

This takes bling past light speed!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Courtier

personally I think the Brunei thingies are just fine. As for Queen Juliana, she was not a sweet young thing. The problem is not with Juliana, it is with that ghastly parurue, which I have always found hideous. It belongs on the Worst Jewels Thread where we could gang up on the poor Dutch RF and roast the massive Dutch ruby horror for all it is worth, which is no doubt a lot.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

About Brunei jewels, yes they have great collection of jewelry specialy tiaras.
Sometime when I watch photos from Brunei events I don't know what is the most impressive - jewels or clothes?

Yes, Dutch jewels (tiaras) are terrible, I think.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
personally I think the Brunei thingies are just fine. As for Queen Juliana, she was not a sweet young thing. The problem is not with Juliana, it is with that ghastly parurue, which I have always found hideous. It belongs on the Worst Jewels Thread where we could gang up on the poor Dutch RF and roast the massive Dutch ruby horror for all it is worth, which is no doubt a lot.
I disagree. I think the parure is fine, definately one of their better ones. But from the pics I would guess they were taken mid-eighties - definately the era of excess!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

too much is when the Queen 'allowed' Camilla to 'borrow' the 5 diamond necklaces that the Queen Mum had once worn (but she only was seen with 3 strands on) - enough said!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry to contradict you, but the Queen Mother had worn the 5 strands on several occasions! The Danish state visit, the French state visit and other occasions, too.
Only in her later years did she wore 2 or 3 strands.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/greville.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...markroyals.jpg
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Courtier

It is all I suppose a question of taste. De gustibus non disputandum. The five strand Greville thingie is magnificent beyond words and with the tiara it is stunning. The latest picture of Camilla just goes to prove it. I for one would love to be able to see Camilla in person wearing the thing. I understand that the actual effect of all those diamonds in person cannot even begin to be communicated by a photograph. Which is as it should be. Now how do you finagle an invitation to Buckingham Palace. Besides if I showed up at the place I would probably be so bedazzled by all the paraphanalia and the Queen that I would drop my soup spoon or fall flat on my face and be tossed out on my ears. But my what an experience. How many people do you know have been tossed out of BP?? Cheers.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This picture always comes to mind when I think about how much is too much:
http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0320/QueenJuliana.jpg

I'll see if I can find a better one.
http://www.royalpostcards.be/doodsprentjes/40.jpg

Holy man. I swear that her late Majesty is a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the movie "MRS DOUBTFIRE" in these photos...it's uncanny!

No disrepect intended to admirers of Queen Juliana or to any Dutchmen, I promise! Just an idle observation.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Holy man. I swear that her late Majesty is a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the movie "MRS DOUBTFIRE" in these photos...it's uncanny!

No disrepect intended to admirers of Queen Juliana or to any Dutchmen, I promise! Just an idle observation.
As much as I hate to do it, I have to agree with you about the whole Queen Juliana/Mrs. Doubtfire resemblance. Uncanny and a little weird--

Regarding this ruby parue--when it is worn all together it is just overwhelmingly too much for my eyes to handle (and believe me, I love seeing Queen Mary in all her finery)--I think that the parue itself is simply "heavy" if that makes sense. You really don't need the stomacher and the necklace and the earrings and the tiara and the brooches, etc....
here is a link to a Dutch Royal Jewels site, my link goes directly to the Mellerio Ruby Parue--and if you scroll down, you'll see that Maxima never wears both tiara and necklace, and looks just lovely.
Ruby Parure
I think Princess Laurentien wears that necklace beautifully--nice neckline, perfect color red for the jewels, etc.....
but put it all together and it is TOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Courtier

No doubt about it the parure is a flop. The tiara is a disaster and should be subjected to the tender mercies of our Worst Jewels Thread. They need to take the thing apart and reconstruct the blob into something at least half way decent. And the stones themselves are lovely. as much as I love a good stomacher, this one is just ripe for the trash can. The neclace is crying out for a good set of pliers and a blow torch. Now How does one address such matters to Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands.

Dear Your Majesty Queen Beatrix,

Sorry dear heart, but with all due respect the ruby Parure stinks to high Heaven. Break it up, sell the gem stones and give the proceeds to charity.

Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant,

I can see it now. "and from America of all places. Well what do you expect?"Cheers.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Luckily royal jewelry is not subject to anyone's whims. It is understandable if not everyone appreciates history, tradition and culture. The royal houses are generally very consientious in keeping pieces intact and not be influenced by any current trends in bling.

Tags
jewellery, parure