The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Administrator

Please note that pics in older posts cannot be reproduced or quoted unless you have the copyright owner's permission to do so. This has been the Forum's policy since November 1st 2006 and will avoid the threat of us (or the member) being sued for breach of copyright by the photo agencies or the original photographer.

The only images which can be shown directly since that date are those with expired copyright, or those for which the member has the written permission of the copyright owner to reproduce. Quoting or copying expired-copyright pics into posts can use up the bandwidth of the original poster and should be avoided.

The simple solution is to either: provide a link to the original post; give the post number; or re-host the pic in your own image-hosting account and post the link. Please be aware that the last option may leave you liable to a breach of copyright action and is done at your own risk.

The copyright rules can be found here: FAQ

thanks,
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Commoner

i still believe the more the merrier!thats all

Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
I disliked the whole ensemble on Mary. There was too much going on with the bouffont hair, the Ruby Parure, the Order of the Elephant, and the midnight blue satin gown did not fit her correctly. I believe that evening's event was a major fashion faux pas for Mary.
You couldn't have said it better, also I think the fact that Mary was after birth and slightly fuller made the dress seem a little tight.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
For me, its the ivy leaves. The attention to detail with the authenticity of shape and size is just gorgeous.

Clearly of a Napoleonic (Empire) manufacture, the craftmanship of the parure is simply magnificant and as was noted by another member, it compliments Mary's delicate features to no end.

I take it you agree then MARG ..hehe?
It is definately Napoleonic. When Napoleon was to be crowned emperor in 1804 he made sure the coronation would look as splendid as possible by giving all his marshalls money so they could buy jewels for their wives. This ruby parure was bought by Jean Baptiste Bernadotte for his wife Desire. They later became king and queen of sweden and their great-granddaugther became queen of Denmark. She inherited the set which was thought fitting as it had the Danish colours, red and white.

Desire Bernadotte/Queen Desideria was a small woman, judging by her portraits. She filled out a bit as she got older but she remained petite.Still she wore the big and impressive ruby parure which we nowadays think might be too much for the much taller CP Mary. Fashions change.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Majesty

i do not think i have seen Queen Desideria were the ruby parure
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela
I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.
I disagree that it is too heavy or large for her. It is my opinion that her wedding tiara is too small for her, and gets lost...one really must look hard to see it, sometimes. I am not, however, a big fan of the ruby parure. First of all, I detest the way it is made, with groups of smaller rubies composing what should be one ruby in the motif. Nonetheless, it is a nice ensemble. My problem with it on Mary is that she wears the tiara as if it were some sort of headband arching over her ears. In my opinion she ought to wear it slightly farther back on her head and more upright so that the whole tiara does not lie flat against the top of her head. (Difficult to explain as that is).
Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Commoner

I did not see this ensemble that is being discussed here, but I always think Mary wears everything with style and panache.

I have a pic of her from her New York visit a couple of years ago, wearing a deep purple gown with what looks like Blue Topaz or perhaps another blue gem, earrings and ring I think, with that dress.

I wouldn't personally put blue gems with violet, but she pulls it off well.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

it's mary's official portrait, and is on her page on kronprinsparret.dk

Old 05-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Thanks, LadyK. I thought that was the pic. Thought she pulled off that look rather nicely. Not too much there.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

I have to say that I, too, think that Mary looks wonderfully regal in the ruby parue--it suits her coloring perfectly and I don't think it is too heavy on her, either. I also agree with the previous post about her wedding tiara--it does get lost on her.
Now, when is it too much? Personally, I think this picture of the Grosvenor pearl tiara sums it up:

Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzge

First, the dress may well be the big problem here, but irregardless, there is just too much going on here. Even our beloved Queen Mary--who loved to pile it on--would not have worn THOSE earrings with that ensemble.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Courtier

The earrings are FAR too long. Whenever pendant earrings are that long, it makes them look like they're part of the necklace or something. Perfect example of TOO MUCH going on at once.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I think that you may find some good examples of "Too much" in the official pictures of Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, wife of Alexander III and mother of Nicholas II. Her jewelry was too luxurious. Just look at her necklaces and tiaras...The daimonds she would wore were as big as some bird's eggs. You feel like going to search black glasses to put on! I like her a lot, but I do not like her taste for putting all these diamons over her as if she was a Christmas Tree...

Vanesa.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 PM

I totally agree--the older royals, especially, look like a jewel box vomited on them. Frankly, Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, could have taught classes on how to wear your over the top jewelry well. She could pull off the huge, gaudy, wonderful and look regal and elegant. Not to mention the clothes these women wear....awful, just awful. The tatty bridesmaid gowns don't add to the splendor one bit. Just my humble opinion....
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
I totally agree--the older royals, especially, look like a jewel box vomited on them. Frankly, Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, could have taught classes on how to wear your over the top jewelry well. She could pull off the huge, gaudy, wonderful and look regal and elegant. Not to mention the clothes these women wear....awful, just awful. The tatty bridesmaid gowns don't add to the splendor one bit. Just my humble opinion....

Welcome scottb,

Nice to have a new member with excellent writing style I have to say I, totally, agree with you!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Well, dear Members, I could not disagree more!!!! The Desiree Clary ruby parurue currently being worn by Crown Princess Mary is a masterpiece of the jewelers art in all its aspects. She looks marvelous. As for overdoing of it, I would agree according to our current taste that some of the 19th century royals were overdone, but according to the style of that era they were not. The empress Marie was wonderful, the massive and magnificent jewels created a staggering impression of wealth, power and grandeur, which is exactly what they were designed and intended to do. In this day and time I would tone her and our beloved Queen Mary down a bit, but not by much. If you have jewels why be demure about it. As for the Jackie Kennedy look, that is so sixties and dated that it is just as ridiculous to praise that as it is to denigrate the royals of another era. The Empress Farah was supposed to look over bedecked in comparrison with Jackie, but truth to tell the poor first lady looked just like our poor, second class American cousin. Farah's emerald parurue was magnificent beyond belief.

If y0u got it, flaunt it say I. And if it is too bad we will send you over to the tender mercies of the Worst Jewels Thread. Cheers.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Royal Highness

Dearest Thomas--I was on the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board and saw where a member had posted this photo of Queen Mary wearing the Durbar--it is the best photo I have seen of this tiara in its original form, I thought of you, enjoy it-----

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: List of Queen Mary's head ornaments - Pic of Dehli Durbar

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected (by Lady Bluffton)

I think that's a good example of that how much is too much present.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected (by Lady Bluffton)

I think that's a good example of that how much is too much present.
Looks b$#&*y fantastic to me!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness

I think she looks FABULOUS and I am THRILLED to see the five strand Greville diamond necklace make an appearance. She is channeling our Beloved Queen Mary!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Hmmm, that IS a lot.

From that ruby thing we've seen previously, it would seem that Camilla favours large necklaces. However, I think she might better have stayed with two or three strands rather than the full five. It is a beautiful piece, but the ensemble comes across as so HEAVY!

Tags
jewellery, parure