The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't like the looks of the ruby parure on Mary. I think it's just too old-fashioned and heavy for her; Maxima, on the other hand, could wear jewelry like that, no problem. Just my opinion of course!

Maybe Mary is on the cusp of just enough/too much. She isn't as delicate as Letizia and MM, but I don't think her personality is as big as Maxima's.

(I know we all have favorites so I don't mean this to denigrate anyone's favorite princess -- I think they're all attractive, but just not the same!)

Old 01-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Nobility

I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.

Perhaps she will look better on it when she gets older, as these jewels look more appropiate for a more mature woman... maybe when she becomes Queen.

The whole ensemble is superb, but the earrings look too big in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela
I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.

Perhaps she will look better on it when she gets older, as these jewels look more appropiate for a more mature woman... maybe when she becomes Queen.

The whole ensemble is superb, but the earrings look too big in my opinion.
I think the fact that the majority of the photos we see are "head & sholder" shots which do not do the gala dress/jewelry justice is the major problem.

If anything I think Mary should just take a page from Queen Margrethe and 'go large'. It suits the occassions and it suits those gorgeous jewels.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Mary seems to wear the parure tiara in a rather unorthodox manner compared to its predecessors. Often titled towards the back of her head instead of the often favoured upright position.

I think its suits her wonderfully, though I also favour the more coventional norm of tiara sporting.

Perhaps it has more to do with the fact she has worn her hair out, and has not had a hairstyle which accommodates the upright method of tiara wearing? I'm not sure.

One thing is for definite, if she is going to wear the parure, it must be complimented with a gown of formidable bearing. Go all out! Such remarkable pieces of art (jewellery) require a gown that best expresses the orante richness that is the image of a lady royal.

Nothing flamboyant, on the contrary. It should be something simple and matched with an elegant neckline which favourably exhibits the lady's more impressive features...her décolletage, shoulders and to no greater extent, her bust.

Arching backlines are normally very becoming, and they have proven to look irresistable on Mary.

And something with a train..always a train. I'm actually really pleased to note that the Danish royal women favour trains which is great and very appropriate.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
One thing is for definite, if she is going to wear the parure, it must be complimented with a gown of formidable bearing. Go all out! Such remarkable pieces of art (jewellery) require a gown that best expresses the orante richness that is the image of a lady royal.

Nothing flamboyant, on the contrary. It should be something simple and matched with an elegant neckline which favourably exhibits the lady's more impressive features...her décolletage, shoulders and to no greater extent, her bust.

Arching backlines are normally very becoming, and they have proven to look irresistable on Mary.

And something with a train..always a train. I'm actually really pleased to note that the Danish royal women favour trains which is great and very appropriate.
I'm drooling just at the mental picture!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I don't like the looks of the ruby parure on Mary. I think it's just too old-fashioned and heavy for her; Maxima, on the other hand, could wear jewelry like that, no problem. Just my opinion of course!

Maybe Mary is on the cusp of just enough/too much. She isn't as delicate as Letizia and MM, but I don't think her personality is as big as Maxima's.

(I know we all have favorites so I don't mean this to denigrate anyone's favorite princess -- I think they're all attractive, but just not the same!)
Ah its a long time since I've seen this thread. Its good to take a look at it again.

I still like Mary in that parure although Ingrid did look smashing in it too. I actually think Mary's delicacy pulls the look together. If Mary had strong heavy features and wore a heavy ornate tiara, the strength of her features would compete with the ornateness of the tiara, somewhat like two prima donnas fighting over the same stage.

But with the tiara and parure so ornate and Mary so delicate, it brings up a nice contrast with the delicate Mary in the center of an ornate and beautiful frame.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

I think Mary could have pulled it off better if she wore her hair up higher (like her wedding hairdo), and she didn't wear red at the pre-wedding gala. A big/heavy tiara requires big hair. And red is a very attention-demanding color. I know she was trying to match her parure, but I think the gown distracted/clashed with it.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hmm, interesting observations. Although I know its called the ruby parure, I don't think the rubies are the eye-catchers in this parure as much as the elaborate scrollwork of the gold. So the rubies and the red dress didn't bother me because the overall gold of the parure went well with the red.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

I think Mary looked fantastic with everything. Not too over the top in my opinion. I have seenher with her hair up and the tiara and the jewels look better to me with her hair down. It might be the pictures...and I know this isn't the hair thread but her hair always looks healthy and shiny...and the Ruby parure always look magnificent.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

For me, its the ivy leaves. The attention to detail with the authenticity of shape and size is just gorgeous.

Clearly of a Napoleonic (Empire) manufacture, the craftmanship of the parure is simply magnificant and as was noted by another member, it compliments Mary's delicate features to no end.

Quote:
I'm drooling just at the mental picture!
I take it you agree then MARG ..hehe?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

The only time CP Mary went over the top was in last years new years eve celebration, when she wore a midnight blue gown which was high collared,(or closed collared at least) and the order of the elephant and the Ruby parure and it all seemed too much. It was one of the only times when CP Mary didn't seem her chic self.)
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Hehe..I would have to disagree with you auntie

It was an extroardinary gown. It sports the most gorgeous train and I loved the buttons up the arm. Very Scandinavian I thought. Mary actually wore more this year than the last with the Family Order of the Queen, the tiara, earrings, necklace and Order chain and star. Last year it was just the tiara, earrings, brooch, Order chain and star but perhaps the fullness of the gown made it seem too cluttered for you?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Hehe..I would have to disagree with you auntie

It was an extroardinary gown. It sports the most gorgeous train and I loved the buttons up the arm. Very Scandinavian I thought. Mary actually wore more this year than the last with the Family Order of the Queen, the tiara, earrings, necklace and Order chain and star. Last year it was just the tiara, earrings, brooch, Order chain and star but perhaps the fullness of the gown made it seem too cluttered for you?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...e/3b2bbcb7.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...board016dm.jpg
I loved this look. The hair looked a little too 60's, but the general look with the tiara and parure was terrific.

p.s. Loved that train!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Gentry

I loved the dress on her but IMHO I don't think that the parue went with the dress, it just seemed to overwhelm the simpleness of the dress.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

I wish she didn't wear it flat on her head like that. If it was worn properly it might look better on her.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I think Queen Elizabeth II is a good example, she can wear the huge jewelry without it looking overloaded on her. Today there are too many royals over doing it such as Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Silvia of Sweden.
Quite the opposite, actually (IMO). Queen Elizabeth II is a good example of a far too gaudy appearance, while Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Silvia of Sweden pull off huge jewelry to perfection.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
The only time CP Mary went over the top was in last years new years eve celebration, when she wore a midnight blue gown which was high collared,(or closed collared at least) and the order of the elephant and the Ruby parure and it all seemed too much. It was one of the only times when CP Mary didn't seem her chic self.)
I disliked the whole ensemble on Mary. There was too much going on with the bouffont hair, the Ruby Parure, the Order of the Elephant, and the midnight blue satin gown did not fit her correctly. I believe that evening's event was a major fashion faux pas for Mary.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
pic of Mary
That is too much for me, I don't like it.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
That is too much for me, I don't like it.

Quite the opposite for me......I think she looks breathtaking in that photograph. That picture to me just screams "Princess".
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I loved this look. The hair looked a little too 60's, but the general look with the tiara and parure was terrific.

p.s. Loved that train!
Even the hair I loved I think this tiara is best suited when the hair is worn up but Its such a dramatic piece and because Mary's hair is dark it just brings it to life.

Glade to see a fellow train lover in you MARG

Tags
jewellery, parure