How Much is Too Much??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only time CP Mary went over the top was in last years new years eve celebration, when she wore a midnight blue gown which was high collared,(or closed collared at least) and the order of the elephant and the Ruby parure and it all seemed too much. It was one of the only times when CP Mary didn't seem her chic self.)

Hehe..I would have to disagree with you auntie ;)

It was an extroardinary gown. It sports the most gorgeous train and I loved the buttons up the arm. Very Scandinavian I thought. Mary actually wore more this year than the last with the Family Order of the Queen, the tiara, earrings, necklace and Order chain and star. Last year it was just the tiara, earrings, brooch, Order chain and star but perhaps the fullness of the gown made it seem too cluttered for you?
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/clipboard016dm.jpg

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Hehe..I would have to disagree with you auntie ;)

It was an extroardinary gown. It sports the most gorgeous train and I loved the buttons up the arm. Very Scandinavian I thought. Mary actually wore more this year than the last with the Family Order of the Queen, the tiara, earrings, necklace and Order chain and star. Last year it was just the tiara, earrings, brooch, Order chain and star but perhaps the fullness of the gown made it seem too cluttered for you?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/3b2bbcb7.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/clipboard016dm.jpg
I loved this look. The hair looked a little too 60's, but the general look with the tiara and parure was terrific.

p.s. Loved that train! :flowers:

I loved the dress on her but IMHO I don't think that the parue went with the dress, it just seemed to overwhelm the simpleness of the dress.

I wish she didn't wear it flat on her head like that. If it was worn properly it might look better on her.

HRHAmy said:
I think Queen Elizabeth II is a good example, she can wear the huge jewelry without it looking overloaded on her. Today there are too many royals over doing it such as Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Silvia of Sweden.

Quite the opposite, actually (IMO). Queen Elizabeth II is a good example of a far too gaudy appearance, while Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Silvia of Sweden pull off huge jewelry to perfection.

auntie said:
The only time CP Mary went over the top was in last years new years eve celebration, when she wore a midnight blue gown which was high collared,(or closed collared at least) and the order of the elephant and the Ruby parure and it all seemed too much. It was one of the only times when CP Mary didn't seem her chic self.)

I disliked the whole ensemble on Mary. There was too much going on with the bouffont hair, the Ruby Parure, the Order of the Elephant, and the midnight blue satin gown did not fit her correctly. I believe that evening's event was a major fashion faux pas for Mary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mari_* said:
That is too much for me, I don't like it.

Quite the opposite for me......I think she looks breathtaking in that photograph. That picture to me just screams "Princess".

MARG said:
I loved this look. The hair looked a little too 60's, but the general look with the tiara and parure was terrific.

p.s. Loved that train! :flowers:

Even the hair I loved ;) I think this tiara is best suited when the hair is worn up but Its such a dramatic piece and because Mary's hair is dark it just brings it to life.

Glade to see a fellow train lover in you MARG :flowers:

Please note that pics in older posts cannot be reproduced or quoted unless you have the copyright owner's permission to do so. This has been the Forum's policy since November 1st 2006 and will avoid the threat of us (or the member) being sued for breach of copyright by the photo agencies or the original photographer.

The only images which can be shown directly since that date are those with expired copyright, or those for which the member has the written permission of the copyright owner to reproduce. Quoting or copying expired-copyright pics into posts can use up the bandwidth of the original poster and should be avoided.

The simple solution is to either: provide a link to the original post; give the post number; or re-host the pic in your own image-hosting account and post the link. Please be aware that the last option may leave you liable to a breach of copyright action and is done at your own risk.

The copyright rules can be found here: FAQ

thanks,
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Last edited:
GlitteringTiaras said:
I disliked the whole ensemble on Mary. There was too much going on with the bouffont hair, the Ruby Parure, the Order of the Elephant, and the midnight blue satin gown did not fit her correctly. I believe that evening's event was a major fashion faux pas for Mary.
You couldn't have said it better, also I think the fact that Mary was after birth and slightly fuller made the dress seem a little tight.

Madame Royale said:
For me, its the ivy leaves. The attention to detail with the authenticity of shape and size is just gorgeous.

Clearly of a Napoleonic (Empire) manufacture, the craftmanship of the parure is simply magnificant and as was noted by another member, it compliments Mary's delicate features to no end.

I take it you agree then MARG ;)..hehe?
It is definately Napoleonic. When Napoleon was to be crowned emperor in 1804 he made sure the coronation would look as splendid as possible by giving all his marshalls money so they could buy jewels for their wives. This ruby parure was bought by Jean Baptiste Bernadotte for his wife Desirée. They later became king and queen of sweden and their great-granddaugther became queen of Denmark. She inherited the set which was thought fitting as it had the Danish colours, red and white.

Desirée Bernadotte/Queen Desideria was a small woman, judging by her portraits. She filled out a bit as she got older but she remained petite.Still she wore the big and impressive ruby parure which we nowadays think might be too much for the much taller CP Mary. Fashions change.

i do not think i have seen Queen Desideria were the ruby parure

zarzuela said:
I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.

I disagree that it is too heavy or large for her. It is my opinion that her wedding tiara is too small for her, and gets lost...one really must look hard to see it, sometimes. I am not, however, a big fan of the ruby parure. First of all, I detest the way it is made, with groups of smaller rubies composing what should be one ruby in the motif. Nonetheless, it is a nice ensemble. My problem with it on Mary is that she wears the tiara as if it were some sort of headband arching over her ears. In my opinion she ought to wear it slightly farther back on her head and more upright so that the whole tiara does not lie flat against the top of her head. (Difficult to explain as that is).

I did not see this ensemble that is being discussed here, but I always think Mary wears everything with style and panache.;)

I have a pic of her from her New York visit a couple of years ago, wearing a deep purple gown with what looks like Blue Topaz or perhaps another blue gem, earrings and ring I think, with that dress.

I wouldn't personally put blue gems with violet, but she pulls it off well.

it's mary's official portrait, and is on her page on kronprinsparret.dk

Thanks, LadyK. I thought that was the pic. Thought she pulled off that look rather nicely. Not too much there.

Last edited:
I have to say that I, too, think that Mary looks wonderfully regal in the ruby parue--it suits her coloring perfectly and I don't think it is too heavy on her, either. I also agree with the previous post about her wedding tiara--it does get lost on her.
Now, when is it too much? Personally, I think this picture of the Grosvenor pearl tiara sums it up:

Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzöge

First, the dress may well be the big problem here, but irregardless, there is just too much going on here. Even our beloved Queen Mary--who loved to pile it on--would not have worn THOSE earrings with that ensemble.

The earrings are FAR too long. Whenever pendant earrings are that long, it makes them look like they're part of the necklace or something. Perfect example of TOO MUCH going on at once.

I think that you may find some good examples of "Too much" in the official pictures of Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, wife of Alexander III and mother of Nicholas II. Her jewelry was too luxurious. Just look at her necklaces and tiaras...The daimonds she would wore were as big as some bird's eggs. You feel like going to search black glasses to put on! I like her a lot, but I do not like her taste for putting all these diamons over her as if she was a Christmas Tree...

Vanesa.

I totally agree--the older royals, especially, look like a jewel box vomited on them. Frankly, Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, could have taught classes on how to wear your over the top jewelry well. She could pull off the huge, gaudy, wonderful and look regal and elegant. Not to mention the clothes these women wear....awful, just awful. The tatty bridesmaid gowns don't add to the splendor one bit. Just my humble opinion....

I totally agree--the older royals, especially, look like a jewel box vomited on them. Frankly, Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, could have taught classes on how to wear your over the top jewelry well. She could pull off the huge, gaudy, wonderful and look regal and elegant. Not to mention the clothes these women wear....awful, just awful. The tatty bridesmaid gowns don't add to the splendor one bit. Just my humble opinion....

Welcome scottb,

Nice to have a new member with excellent writing style:flowers: I have to say I, totally, agree with you!

Well, dear Members, I could not disagree more!!!! The Desiree Clary ruby parurue currently being worn by Crown Princess Mary is a masterpiece of the jewelers art in all its aspects. She looks marvelous. As for overdoing of it, I would agree according to our current taste that some of the 19th century royals were overdone, but according to the style of that era they were not. The empress Marie was wonderful, the massive and magnificent jewels created a staggering impression of wealth, power and grandeur, which is exactly what they were designed and intended to do. In this day and time I would tone her and our beloved Queen Mary down a bit, but not by much. If you have jewels why be demure about it. As for the Jackie Kennedy look, that is so sixties and dated that it is just as ridiculous to praise that as it is to denigrate the royals of another era. The Empress Farah was supposed to look over bedecked in comparrison with Jackie, but truth to tell the poor first lady looked just like our poor, second class American cousin. Farah's emerald parurue was magnificent beyond belief.

If y0u got it, flaunt it say I. And if it is too bad we will send you over to the tender mercies of the Worst Jewels Thread. Cheers.

I think she looks FABULOUS and I am THRILLED to see the five strand Greville diamond necklace make an appearance. She is channeling our Beloved Queen Mary!

Hmmm, that IS a lot.

From that ruby thing we've seen previously, it would seem that Camilla favours large necklaces. However, I think she might better have stayed with two or three strands rather than the full five. It is a beautiful piece, but the ensemble comes across as so HEAVY!

Back
Top Bottom