The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Royal Highness

Margaret was herself the jewel of the house of Windsor. I barely recognized her during one of her last outings, on a wheelchair wering shades or she was blind (?). That was months before she died. Such a tragic end for such a vivacious person.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm
All of those jewels made those royal ladies look gorgeous...
I think royal ladies can pull it off today - note CP Mary. I'll grant that she's not as loaded down as Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary but I'm sure she can work up to it and still keep it tasteful.

I agree with you on the Brunei royal ladies - WAY over the top. I think it's because their gowns and head coverings are so ... soo.... what's the word I'm looking for... anyway... so....

I think if the fabric were plain instead of printed and multi-almost-neon coloured, all the glitter would probably look great. And its not that the fabric is printed and colored, I think some of the gowns and head coverings are also sequined which you don't really need if you're already wearing that much bling.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I agree with you on the Brunei royal ladies - WAY over the top. I think it's because their gowns and head coverings are so ... soo.... what's the word I'm looking for... anyway... so....

I think if the fabric were plain instead of printed and multi-almost-neon coloured, all the glitter would probably look great. And its not that the fabric is printed and colored, I think some of the gowns and head coverings are also sequined which you don't really need if you're already wearing that much bling.

totally agree!!! anyway, are those manner of dressing because of traditions?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It's the contrast that can show jewelry off, but the diamonds get lost among the sequins in some of the Brunei dresses. The fabrics are colorful and complex so the overall effect may be something of a walking "op-art" display with nothing for the eyes to settle on. The head covering could also be better blended with the rest of the gown instead of being a separate and detracting additional piece of complicating stuff. This classic picture (its available all over, but this one came from from Worldroots) does show how a heavily ornamented gown and jewels can be combined.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Majesty

i think we have to look at culture and the time the royals live in becouse we cant compare the netherlands with brunei and we cant compare the year 1800 with 2000
Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Less is more, especially when it comes to jewelery. I always abide by this rule: "Big necklace, tiny earrings. Big earrings, tiny necklace." This way I don't look overloaded with crap. Throw a tiara on top, and you're good to go.

I think CP Mary has done a good job of balancing this. On her wedding day for example, she had that beautiful tiara and the new earrings....rather large earrings, and no necklace. A necklace would have been too much with all that other stuff she had going on.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Too much jewelery makes you look like you're trying too hard. Just because you have access to some of the most beautiful jewels in the world, doesn't mean you have to wear them all at one time. A beautiful tiara, a delicate necklace and some big earrings or some delicate earrings and a grand necklace, is all a Princess really needs to make a statement. Throw in a bracelet and maybe another ring and you're done.

Wearing all that jewelery, orders, sashes, and god knows what else just makes you look too busy.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I don't believe any of the CPs can pull off the look of yesteryear with the same pomp and circumstance as say Queen Mary. She was so upright looking if that makes sense. Yes, less is more today but none of these princesses lived as Queen Mary or even when she was known as Princess May. She was always about duty and she looked the way royalty was suppose to. I think it is a matter of style and what one can pull off. I must admit that I didn't like the "more" look but it all depends upon how tastefully its done.
The more look kept the rest of the world in awe and it still does if you admit to it. It is a reminder that the royals are indeed royal.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Here is a detail of Queen Alexandra's Coronation costume (Corbis) showing some of her amazing array of jewels, and more particularly the fringe 'girdle' or bordeur. Also note the huge diamond sunburst brooch in the centre of her décolletage.

Queen Alexandra's Diamond Bordeur

I'm fairly certain that is one of the fringe tiaras wore as a belt (there is another example of a tiara worn as a belt on Garrard's website, showing a peridot tiara of the Austrian Imperial family worn as such).
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Courtier

The aesthetic of the late 19th/early 20th century was much different, and it was appropriate and expected that royals showed off as much as possible. At that time, they were the supreme symbols of their respective nations, and were expected to outdo other countries' monarchs as much as possible. Today, that has changed, and large jewels and parures are only worn for the most formal occasions, perhaps out of tradition as much as anything else.

I personally enjoy it when large jewels are worn--after all, it isn't the academy awards--it's a symbol of the state and its history/culture.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
I'm fairly certain that is one of the fringe tiaras wore as a belt (there is another example of a tiara worn as a belt on Garrard's website, showing a peridot tiara of the Austrian Imperial family worn as such).
I don't think that is a fringe tiara. It's just to long and big as for a tiara.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 AM

She is wearing 2 fringe tiaras on her girdle in her coronation picture. She later gave one of them to her daughter Victoria, who inturn gave it to the Queen Mother.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
I do not entirely agree with the noble members. In the pictures above the marvelous Mary really could use more jewelry in at least three of them. I agree that I would prefer to tone down Queen Mary, but not by much. As for the Brunei royals, that is a cultural thing. Like the food in the region. Heavily spiced and hot. Quite overdone with all that cloth. But then they are not allowed to display their hair. It would, according to the theory arouse lust in men and that is to be avoided at all costs. My response is to have them so covered with jewels, diamonds especially a la Queen Mary so that the lust ridden animals would look at them go blind. Or else be so distracted and overwhelmed by the jewels they would not think of anything else. Ha.
The Bruneian Royal's cloth are usually fully coloured and printed with floral motifs and sometimes it also full of embroidery. Their headscarves are also fully coloured and printed. I think it's a kind of local culture to wear dress like that, just like in Brunei's neighbour country, Malaysia where the big floral pattern are usual. I think the problem is not about the dress but more about the way they wear the jewels. Sometimes they wear brooche, long necklace, bracelet, and rings at the same time and I found that their jewels are also colourfull. It makes them look 'over'. But we have to take a look at Brunei's Crown Princess Sarah. She's just a kind of fresh air for the Bruneian Royal I guess. Eventhough She still wear 'that kind of cloth', sometimes She wear more simple one or even put off her headscarves in some occasions.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Royal Highness

I agree that there are a number of factors that contribute to achieving "too much" - the size of the pieces of jewelry and the size of the stones in the jewelry, the style of dress worn, any additional medal/honors/orders worn with the dress & jewelry, the style of the times, the culture. But if they are wearing bracelets and/or rings over long evening gloves, they've definately reached "too much"! I think the current crop of Crown Princesses have definately know not to wear too much, and CP Mary does it best. Of course that may all change when they become Queens and have access to the good stuff!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
access to the good stuff!
Good stuff indeed.lol.

Although Mary does have in 'her' possession one of the worlds finnest intact parures. Still, imagine what it shall be like when she becomes Queen
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

I am devastated by all your overwhelming "less is more" parole!
All I can say, is , would I have been in any of the current crown princess position I most probably would look very much like Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary
Could you really restrict yourself to only some of the jewels?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Since we're not really discussing "How much is too much", and in a (vain?) attempt to keep everything in the appropriate place for future reference, I have moved the Danish jewels to the Queen Margrethe jewellery thread.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
Old 09-23-2006, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee
I am devastated by all your overwhelming "less is more" parole!
All I can say, is , would I have been in any of the current crown princess position I most probably would look very much like Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary
Could you really restrict yourself to only some of the jewels?
I'd probably load up with jewels in the privacy of my dressing room when no one else is around! But I think the "less is more" came into being when the Empress and Shah of Iran paid a State visit to the Kennedy White House. The Empress was wearing a gold dress and tons of emeralds and Jackie Kennedy wore a pink & white dress with a pin in her hair. Jackie was the champion of "less is more" and the Empress looked ridiculous next to her.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think "too much" depends on the person wearing the jewelry. Mette-Merit has sort of an Audrey Hepburn beauty, so she shouldn't wear lots of jewelry, or bulky pieces. I think Letizia and Mary fall into that category too. On the other hand, Maxima is a very flashy woman who has the personality to carry off the jewelry. (Not a criticism of anyone, just a personal observation.)
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I think "too much" depends on the person wearing the jewelry. Mette-Merit has sort of an Audrey Hepburn beauty, so she shouldn't wear lots of jewelry, or bulky pieces. I think Letizia and Mary fall into that category too. On the other hand, Maxima is a very flashy woman who has the personality to carry off the jewelry. (Not a criticism of anyone, just a personal observation.)
I agree with you on Mette-Marit and Letizia, however Mary can pull of wearing a lot of jewelry. The ruby parure looks amazing on her IMO. Mathilde would be able to be covered with jewels to, she has something regal about her which will enable her to pull it of.

Tags
jewellery, parure